Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: ducknbass] #7634046 10/16/19 02:55 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by ducknbass
Things neither side is looking at.
1. It's terrible that these people live in a world where they can't call or go knock on the neighbors door to check on them. It's not wrong to call the police just sad that they don't know their neighbors.
2. It's sad that we live in a world where police are being ambushed. To deny that fact would be ignorant. So these officers are trained to think hey this may be an ambush.... How terrible is that? To go to work thinking someone wants to kill you. Which makes every interaction worse. Then it's a self fulfilling prophecy. They are nervous and.things like this happen. So the public has less trust and more disdain.

Putting that officer to death by a firing squad will not fix the problem. No new laws, no protesting, no difference in training. It will get worse and worse and worse.

True to an extent. Not all of the population feels this way. Some people are being taught to feel this way. There are lawyers and politicians that want to profit from these things and they must keep that narrative alive.
I for one don’t feel threatened by the police. It’s not because of how I was born. It is because I highly respect the job and I know the street or sidewalk is not the place to debate the commands that might be directed at me.

The job tough enough without all this added in and above all else, the goal is to try your best to do some good for someone else and go home safe at the end of the shift.

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7634056 10/16/19 03:01 PM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
How was the call dispatched to the officers? Has anyone actually seen that yet? I know the neighbor called non-emergency. But “IF” the dispatcher sent the call out as a burglary instead of a welfare check, I could possibly see the reason for the officers to have guns drawn and searching around. Then when you get in front of the window and a person on the other side has a gun pointed at you... things happen real fast...as they did.

The reason I bring this up is because yesterday I read something somewhere that someone said it was dispatched as a burglary/open structure, but I can’t find where it was now. I think there is a lot more to this story still to come out.

That could be a game changer in my opinion.

Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: Greg] #7634073 10/16/19 03:18 PM
janie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Greg
Then when you get in front of the window and a person on the other side has a gun pointed at you... things happen real fast...as they did.

This is what has me wondering. Did she have her firearm pointed at the officer? In the vid he holler's "your hands, let me see your hands" If her pistol was aimed at the officer, wouldn't he instead yell "Police, drop your weapon"

No matter how you slice it, this is a horrible situation for all involved, and my heart aches for that young child who witnessed the shooting.

He is your friend defender your dog. Be worthy of such devotion

[Linked Image]
Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: beaversnipe] #7634082 10/16/19 03:22 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
To play video games at 2:30 am with hour lil nephew is awesome parenting.

up

It was Saturday night, not a school night. It has always been a late night for our kids. up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: dogcatcher] #7634089 10/16/19 03:24 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content OP
Big Sprocket Bob
OP Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by dogcatcher

up

It was Saturday night, not a school night. It has always been a late night for our kids. up

you suck as a parent.

grin

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7634092 10/16/19 03:28 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Originally Posted by dogcatcher

up

you suck as a parent.

grin

And the grandkids love us. clap

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: janie] #7634096 10/16/19 03:31 PM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by janie
Originally Posted by Greg
Then when you get in front of the window and a person on the other side has a gun pointed at you... things happen real fast...as they did.

This is what has me wondering. Did she have her firearm pointed at the officer? In the vid he holler's "your hands, let me see your hands" If her pistol was aimed at the officer, wouldn't he instead yell "Police, drop your weapon"

No matter how you slice it, this is a horrible situation for all involved, and my heart aches for that young child who witnessed the shooting.

“Apparently” the media is saying the boy said she got the gun out of her purse and aimed it at the window because they saw/heard people snooping around. The officer hardly got the words out of his mouth before he fired, so I’m assuming he felt threatened. The other officer was not in front of that window so probably didn’t see what happened.

Agree it is a horrible situation. I just can’t help but think there is more to the story because why would both officers not announce themselves if it was just a welfare call. Everyone on this forum knows to do that and most aren’t law enforcement. Something doesn’t make sense.

Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7634175 10/16/19 04:37 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I had an officer show up alone at my house many years ago and knock on my door.
He said they received a 911 hang up call from the house and wanted to speak to my wife. He also wanted to know if I had kids and where they are. He asked me to step outside and wait on the porch until he was able to verify everything was ok.
Kids were 5 - 6 yr old at the time and were napping in their beds. Wife verified all was fine and that she didn’t make the call.
He apologized for the disturbance and shook my hand as he left.
No sneaking around and no guns drawn. Just an explanation of why he was there and that he needed to verify safety of everyone inside. Granted, that was 16 years a ago and in Flower Mound. But, I would expect nothing different from them today. Except maybe, not coming alone.

Like I said in an earlier post.. It is sad that the politicians and lawyers are trying to perpetuate this hate of the people we rely on when we need help.

Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: pegasaurus] #7634217 10/16/19 05:11 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by pegasaurus
1. It's terrible that these people live in a world where they can't call or go knock on the neighbors door to check on them. It's not wrong to call the police just sad that they don't know their neighbors.
2. It's sad that we live in a world where police are being ambushed. To deny that fact would be ignorant. So these officers are trained to think hey this may be an ambush.... How terrible is that? To go to work thinking someone wants to kill you. Which makes every interaction worse. Then it's a self fulfilling prophecy. They are nervous and.things like this happen. So the public has less trust and more disdain.

Putting that officer to death by a firing squad will not fix the problem. No new laws, no protesting, no difference in training. It will get worse and worse and worse.

True to an extent. Not all of the population feels this way. Some people are being taught to feel this way. There are lawyers and politicians that want to profit from these things and they must keep that narrative alive.
I for one don’t feel threatened by the police. It’s not because of how I was born. It is because I highly respect the job and I know the street or sidewalk is not the place to debate the commands that might be directed at me.

The job tough enough without all this added in and above all else, the goal is to try your best to do some good for someone else and go home safe at the end of the shift.

I think you’re over complicating it. Does the media and politicians complicate things? Sure, but I don’t think it’s to the extent that you are making it out to be. I think people have a reasonable expectation of not being gunned down in their house by police officers making a mistake. When it happens, especially twice in 13 months thirty miles from each other, people are understandably going to be upset and concerned. It also happened a few years ago in Fort Worth when two rookie officers went to the wrong address and shot the home owner in his garage.

I was raised to respect law enforcement and I do to this day. I don’t understand the rush to justify the LEOs that so obviously make mistakes that should never happen. I don’t think it does anything positive for the vast majority of the LEOs who are great at their job. In fact, I think it does a disservice to them and makes their jobs infinitely harder (that’s reality, not that I think it should be that way). The FW interim chief said as much during his press conference, where he mentioned this will set back their community relations. So far, I think FWPD has done a very good job of handling the situation and trying to be forthright publicly, saying he would’ve fired the cop for breaking protocol even if he hadn’t shot anyone, etc.

It’s a hard job complicated by many growing issues. I’ve said many times I couldn’t do it. I respect the hell out of those who do, and I think it takes a special person to do it. I thank God for them. I just don’t see the purpose or benefit of trying to justify the ones that screw up so blatantly.*

*and I say that with reservation. There are some facts that need to be confirmed that may change a few things, but ultimately I don’t think the officer acted appropriately and he should have been fired and arrested/charged.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7634231 10/16/19 05:21 PM
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
What did the Officer do blatantly?

Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: Brother in-law] #7634332 10/16/19 06:48 PM
C
cleatas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Brother in-law

Nothing besides shoot before being shot. Now with that aside, we don’t know a lot of the details that will later come out such as what they believed they were responding to and why they chose not to knock on the door. I would assume they were just scanning the area and seeing if anything looked out of the norm before making their presence known and he got a gun pointed at him. I still think the weapon went off before he intended for it to. Just my opinion...and them saying he isn’t cooperating isn’t exactly right either. He chose to remain silent just like anyone else would have and not incriminate himself.

''Tis better to be silent and be THOUGHT a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln
Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7634334 10/16/19 06:49 PM
C
cleatas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
And I figure they were listening to see if they could hear anything going on inside.

''Tis better to be silent and be THOUGHT a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln
Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: cleatas] #7634411 10/16/19 08:09 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by cleatas

Nothing besides shoot before being shot. Now with that aside, we don’t know a lot of the details that will later come out such as what they believed they were responding to and why they chose not to knock on the door. I would assume they were just scanning the area and seeing if anything looked out of the norm before making their presence known and he got a gun pointed at him. I still think the weapon went off before he intended for it to. Just my opinion...and them saying he isn’t cooperating isn’t exactly right either. He chose to remain silent just like anyone else would have and not incriminate himself.

You both missed that I said ...”the ONES that screw up so blatantly,” which encompasses officers like Amber Guyger and the guy recently who planted drugs during a hundred traffic stops.

You both also ignored what I wrote with an asterisk next to it, but here is what the chief of police said about it:

“Human life is a precious thing and should not have been taken from Ms. Jefferson," he said. "[To the public] I ask you please do not let the actions of one officer reflect on the other 1,700. There's absolutely no excuse for this incident and the person responsible will be held accountable."

While taking questions during a press conference Tuesday, Kraus grew emotional when describing the morale of the police department, saying while "officers are hurting" over the shooting, he has not encountered an officer who disagrees with the decision to arrest Aaron Dean.

"I don't have any officer saying this action should not have been taken against this individual, this officer. I'm getting the complete opposite response. 'Chief thank you for being quick and decisive. This is going to help heal us,'" Kraus said.

“We have a great many officers who work extremely hard, every day. They do this at great sacrifice and with a servant's heart. I ask you to please do not let the actions of one officer reflect on the other 1,700. There's absolutely no excuse for this incident and the person responsible will be held accountable," Kraus said. "Human life is a precious thing, it should not have been taken from Miss Jefferson."

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/V...es-No-Excuse-for-Shooting-563141541.html

Seems to me like the interim chief of police and many of his officers feel blatant mistakes were made.

[Linked Image]
Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7634439 10/16/19 08:43 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

You both missed that I said ...”the ONES that screw up so blatantly,” which encompasses officers like Amber Guyger and the guy recently who planted drugs during a hundred traffic stops.

You both also ignored what I wrote with an asterisk next to it, but here is what the chief of police said about it:

“Human life is a precious thing and should not have been taken from Ms. Jefferson," he said. "[To the public] I ask you please do not let the actions of one officer reflect on the other 1,700. There's absolutely no excuse for this incident and the person responsible will be held accountable."

While taking questions during a press conference Tuesday, Kraus grew emotional when describing the morale of the police department, saying while "officers are hurting" over the shooting, he has not encountered an officer who disagrees with the decision to arrest Aaron Dean.

"I don't have any officer saying this action should not have been taken against this individual, this officer. I'm getting the complete opposite response. 'Chief thank you for being quick and decisive. This is going to help heal us,'" Kraus said.

“We have a great many officers who work extremely hard, every day. They do this at great sacrifice and with a servant's heart. I ask you to please do not let the actions of one officer reflect on the other 1,700. There's absolutely no excuse for this incident and the person responsible will be held accountable," Kraus said. "Human life is a precious thing, it should not have been taken from Miss Jefferson."

Seems to me like the interim chief of police and many of his officers feel blatant mistakes were made.

What do you expect the officers to say to their boss?? Were you expecting, “Hey Chief.. You really screwed that one up.”

Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: pegasaurus] #7634484 10/16/19 09:26 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

What do you expect the officers to say to their boss?? Were you expecting, “Hey Chief.. You really screwed that one up.”

The chief of police is a liar? Interesting.

[Linked Image]
Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: Brother in-law] #7634493 10/16/19 09:32 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Nothing. They charged him with murder just for the hell of it. rolleyes

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7634500 10/16/19 09:41 PM
C
cleatas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
He said blatantly...I’m not saying best judgement or policy was not used. I believe mistakes were made but we lack a lot of details.

Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7634504 10/16/19 09:44 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

I think you’re over complicating it. Does the media and politicians complicate things? Sure, but I don’t think it’s to the extent that you are making it out to be. I think people have a reasonable expectation of not being gunned down in their house by police officers making a mistake. When it happens, especially twice in 13 months thirty miles from each other, people are understandably going to be upset and concerned. It also happened a few years ago in Fort Worth when two rookie officers went to the wrong address and shot the home owner in his garage.

I was raised to respect law enforcement and I do to this day. I don’t understand the rush to justify the LEOs that so obviously make mistakes that should never happen. I don’t think it does anything positive for the vast majority of the LEOs who are great at their job. In fact, I think it does a disservice to them and makes their jobs infinitely harder (that’s reality, not that I think it should be that way). The FW interim chief said as much during his press conference, where he mentioned this will set back their community relations. So far, I think FWPD has done a very good job of handling the situation and trying to be forthright publicly, saying he would’ve fired the cop for breaking protocol even if he hadn’t shot anyone, etc.

It’s a hard job complicated by many growing issues. I’ve said many times I couldn’t do it. I respect the hell out of those who do, and I think it takes a special person to do it. I thank God for them. I just don’t see the purpose or benefit of trying to justify the ones that screw up so blatantly.*

*and I say that with reservation. There are some facts that need to be confirmed that may change a few things, but ultimately I don’t think the officer acted appropriately and he should have been fired and arrested/charged.

Yes, the “everyone else is wrong but the officer who killed someone in their home and is charged with murder” arguments get old after a while. Taking up for bad apples just because they’re in a profession we teach our kids to respect undermines the very basis for that respect. As we have seen when the “Code Of Silence” and/or “Blame The Victim” strategy has been used over and over again. The good cops should want the bad cops gone. But (just as in my profession) often cops are their own worst enemy. Thankfully, this is beginning to change. Body cameras are a big reason.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: cleatas] #7634510 10/16/19 09:49 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
He said blatantly...I’m not saying best judgement or policy was not used. I believe mistakes were made but we lack a lot of details.

Putting a bullet in an innocent woman in her own home and killing her in front of her 8 year old nephew might qualify as blatant.

Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7634519 10/16/19 10:10 PM
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I’m not defending the guy or taking his side without knowing or seeing the video.

Maybe I see different possibilities and what ifs

Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: cleatas] #7634535 10/16/19 10:36 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

I was clear in my original post and I even spelled it out in a follow up. I was speaking of officers, this one included, who blatantly screwed up. He was going to be fired for cause, resigned, arrested and charged with murder, and his chief said it was inexcusable. I also added a caveat with an asterisk.

[Linked Image]
Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: Brother in-law] #7634537 10/16/19 10:38 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I’m not defending the guy or taking his side without knowing or seeing the video.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/F...m-Shows_Dallas-Fort-Worth-563026622.html

The body cam footage has been everywhere for three days. There is a link for you.

[Linked Image]
Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: Brother in-law] #7634553 10/16/19 10:58 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content OP
Big Sprocket Bob
OP Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob

No doubt there are. We only know a small part of what happened.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7634841 10/17/19 04:21 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
So the world champion at Jr high debates thinks he has this locked down Patty. That link is cute DH.... Great touch lol

[Linked Image]
Re: Fort Worth's turn [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7634991 10/17/19 01:33 PM
C
cleatas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I’m not defending him either but I think there should’ve been more time invested in the case before a murder charge was handed down too. One says welfare check, one says open structure. That’s two different calls. But once again I’m not saying what he did was the right or smartest decision as far as how the call was handled.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide