Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,794
Posts9,729,229
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Things than make you SMH prefore and during deer season #7634034 10/16/19 02:47 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
It never fails, you see and/or hear things before and during deer season that literally or virtually make you shake your head in disgust.

The wife made a comment during a day trip we made earlier this week at how many corn sacks she noticed on the side of the highway. I told her that unfortunately, that's a sure sign that deer season in almost upon us. I added that what makes it worse, probably 50%-75% of those bags were put in the bed of a pickup by someone who knew they would blow out as they would go driving down the road.

Something else that makes me SMH every opening day are the sounds of people target practicing around 9:30 or 10am after they've evidently gotten back to camp. I always wonder how many of them were the same ones who produced those two or three shot groups I heard soon after sunrise, the ones an ole timer liked to say "that buck is still running" after you hear them. Others I always suspect just haven't shot their rifle all year, and not having seen a thing that morning, take out their unsatisfied urges on whatever objects they can dig up around camp.

Next, we have the ones who just have to carry their buck, often one that's nothing to brag about, somewhere on their vehicle where everyone can see it. I even saw a guy once who had his young buck tied head up to the headache rack of his truck. I guess these types were never taught the only way to transport a deer, short of from the woods, is in an ice chest.

And finally, let's not forget those pissing and moaning as they're forced to stand in line to purchase their hunting license the night before opening day. Yes, I've been known to pass by the Sporting Good section of Walmart just to get the opportunity to SMH when seeing that one.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/16/19 02:49 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Things than make you SMH prefore and during deer season [Re: Texas Dan] #7634039 10/16/19 02:51 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Watching a trailer roll down the highway as if they just signed the contract on a new lease. I am sure there is more to the story as to why.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Things than make you SMH prefore and during deer season [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7634044 10/16/19 02:54 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Watching a trailer roll down the highway as if they just signed the contract on a new lease. I am sure there is more to the story as to why.

You mean the ones on or the day before Opening Day that have a freshly built or purchased box blind in the trailer?

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/16/19 02:55 PM.

Re: Things than make you SMH prefore and during deer season [Re: Texas Dan] #7634045 10/16/19 02:54 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

You mean the ones on or the day before Opening Day that have a box blind in the trailer?

Both.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Things than make you SMH prefore and during deer season [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7634047 10/16/19 02:55 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

You mean the ones on or the day before Opening Day that have a box blind in the trailer?

Both.

Better late than never I guess.

Re: Things than make you SMH prefore and during deer season [Re: Texas Dan] #7634061 10/16/19 03:06 PM
B
Bobby Hill Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Last season, on opening morning, while riding my ATV to my stand, i passed a member of my deer lease that was filling his feeders for the first time about 45 mins before shooting light.

Last season i was asked to go help track a buck for someone on my lease. We found blood pretty quick but it wasn't much and very spotty. After 2 solid hours of crawling through sticker bushes, he tells us that he accidentally dropped his rifle the night before and wasn't sure if this scope was right.

Re: Things than make you SMH prefore and during deer season [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7634076 10/16/19 03:19 PM
S
Schpanky Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

I'm always amazed at the parade of trucks w/ trailers hauling feeders & blinds Friday before opening day on I-20 west of Ft Worth.....my son and I enjoy laughing and shaking our heads at them as we pass by each year.

I get in my blind 1 to 1.5 hrs before first light to give everything a chance to settle down....I always have a lot of activity around me starting about 30-45 mins after I arrive so there's a lot of deer moving right about the time my neighbor is riding his 4-wheeler to this blind (15 minutes before legal shooting light)...I don't know whether to shake my head or thank him....

Re: Things than make you SMH prefore and during deer season [Re: Schpanky] #7634298 10/16/19 06:21 PM
B
Booner1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Schpanky

I'm always amazed at the parade of trucks w/ trailers hauling feeders & blinds Friday before opening day on I-20 west of Ft Worth.....my son and I enjoy laughing and shaking our heads at them as we pass by each year.

I get in my blind 1 to 1.5 hrs before first light to give everything a chance to settle down....I always have a lot of activity around me starting about 30-45 mins after I arrive so there's a lot of deer moving right about the time my neighbor is riding his 4-wheeler to this blind (15 minutes before legal shooting light)...I don't know whether to shake my head or thank him....

I get into my ladder blind between 5:20 and 5:30 and have literally had deer and hogs walk right under me 30 minutes after I get up the tree. I always chuckle when I see the head lights from the other guys that hunt around me coming in at 6:30 knowing that they are pushing deer to me.

Hunted near Mason and also Sonora for a long, long time and it really used to make me shake my head at how many lazy azz hunters would stop at a rest area and dump all their crap from filling feeders and what not either in the trash barrel or throw it on the ground because the barrel was full.

Born to hunt and fish.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide