Print Thread
Colorado Bend SP Youth hunt #7622077 10/02/19 08:47 PM
D
DBLETRBLE Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
My sons got picked for the youth hunt at colorado bend state park, was wondering if anyone has any info such as tips or experience with the hunt here.
Thanks
Patrick

Re: Colorado Bend SP Youth hunt [Re: DBLETRBLE] #7622485 10/03/19 02:57 AM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Been there once. Hunted the compartment left of the camp ground at the river. My nephew shot a beautiful 10pt. He took the trail going to the primitive campsites, kept going past that, walked up on 2 bucks fighting. Was just breaking daylight, still to dark to see. Once it got light enough, he could see this buck and shot it. I missed a real nice 9pt with my bow just behind the dump, which is to the left on top of the hill before you drop down to the camp ground. My brother somehow missed a big 8pt along the trail going to the primitive camp site. Just ask for that compartment. My nephew got that 10 and a doe. I ended up with a spike after missing the 9.

Re: Colorado Bend SP Youth hunt [Re: DBLETRBLE] #7624882 10/05/19 11:04 PM
C
Curbow Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
A lot of deer in the area mentioned above. We hunted the Gorman Falls compartment. Believe it was #2? Bunch of big Aoudad in the Gorman Spring area. Passed on a few deer there too. My girl shot 2 big Aoudad. Beautiful place and a great hunt!

Re: Colorado Bend SP Youth hunt [Re: DBLETRBLE] #7627075 10/08/19 12:41 PM
12shotgun Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Awesome, that is a great place with plenty deer and some auodad depending on the compartment. My son hunted there 3 years ago and got a nice 8 point and a doe in the compartment that is by the parking area to Gorman falls.
I hunted there this past season and got a nice 10 point in the compartment by the Windmill primitive area campground.
If weather is nice you can stay in the park with a tent, otherwise Lampasas is probably the closest place to find a hotel, also there is a great deer processing place there, M&M Butcher Block.
As for the park, it can be thick in places, but plenty of fire lanes and trails as well as open areas in some compartments; you get a compartment assigned at the time of the hunt, then they’ll drive you around it with the other hunters in same compartment, then you work it out amongst you to decide where each one will hunt. Bring a popup blind as there are only a few wire cage blinds but tiny and don’t offer much protection.
It will be a great hunt, report back when you come back.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 12shotgun; 10/08/19 01:33 PM.

Eduardo
Outdoor enthusiast
Re: Colorado Bend SP Youth hunt [Re: DBLETRBLE] #7627319 10/08/19 05:11 PM
S
salth2o Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Congrats. My 13 year old son has been entering for the drawn hunts since he was 8 and has never been drawn for a single hunt.

Re: Colorado Bend SP Youth hunt [Re: DBLETRBLE] #7633759 10/16/19 03:42 AM
D
DBLETRBLE Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
Thank you all for the Input. I will report back after the hunt with results

Re: Colorado Bend SP Youth hunt [Re: DBLETRBLE] #7634037 10/16/19 02:49 PM
C
Curbow Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Here is a summary I had posted of our hunt last year. Maybe it will help someone out. Good luck:

Myself, wife, daughter and son recently attended the youth either sex WT hunt at Colorado Bend State Park. We were blessed with good weather and a successful hunt where my daughter was able to harvest 2 large Aoudad!

We took our RV and camped down by the river in a beautiful spot that was loaded with deer. There are no electric or water hookups but we did take a generator. It is about a 20 minute drive from the front gate down to the campground. Park staff were very nice and assigned us compartment #2 at our Saturday morning meeting. This is the compartment with Gorman Falls which is a must see if you are out there. My kids chose the back area by the conference center because it was the toughest to hunt and wanted a chance to see an Aoudad or big buck. The front and middle area was flatter and had more open spaces to be able to see in places. The back area was definitely thick and rough.

My son and I did see 7 deer first afternoon and he passed on easy shots at a 6 point and doe waiting for something bigger to come along. We were set up on the trails leading back down to the river and up the hills on Old Gorman trail. Should have taken the shots because no deer showed up the next day. A few big Aoudad started to come in but got spooked. Lots of Aoudad sign in this area. Warning the Old Gorman trail is rough and uphill for a long ways hauling gear. It was so thick we decided not to hunt up there.

My wife and daughter hunted up the Gorman Springs trail which was a nice spot. They only saw 1 big buck up on a ridge that never came out. But on Sunday morning a group of big Aoudad came in and she was able to drop 2 of them with her .243! Those beasts almost killed me dragging them back to the truck but it was all worth it seeing the smiles on their faces.

We hunted out of popup blinds but the deer do not like them. Make sure you cut some brush to help them blend in. Also take plenty of corn to throw out. They cleaned ours up overnight. Only cleaning facilities are the fish cleaning station down by the river. Overall there were a lot of deer taken. Not sure if anyone else took an exotic? It was definitely a fun family adventure!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Colorado Bend SP Youth hunt [Re: DBLETRBLE] #7688838 12/14/19 07:07 PM
D
DBLETRBLE Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
Update on the hunt, we had an amazing time but unfortunately was not able to take a deer. Place was great and people were nice. There is really only 1 of 5 compartments with aoudad and only a few people are able to hunt the area that sees most of them. There were a total of 20 kids so chances were slim for that spot. That's what my son was hoping to shoot. We hunted compartment 4 which was very thick. Only deer we saw in our compartment were in the camp grounds, go figure. Regardless it was a great experience. From my knowledge there were a good amount of deer taken that weekend.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide