Page 1 of 2 1 2
Big guy hunting issue #7632641 10/14/19 11:32 PM
H
Hammer2045 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Hello Gents, I'm a 300+ lbs individual and I was wondering what are you plus size Gents doing for scent control? I went out for a archery sit today. It was a 1 mile walk into where the tree was that I had selected. It took me about 2 hours to make that trek. I tried going slow and easy but still I was sweating profusely by the time I made it to the tree. After about an hour once i was in the tree my body temperature came down. I wondered if i had already ruined my chances due to the amount of sweating i did just to get up in the tree. I'm not an avid hunter this was my 2nd attempt at a public land hunt. Any information and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Big guy hunting issue [Re: Hammer2045] #7632746 10/15/19 01:11 AM
B
batman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Dress lightly for your walk in, but even with 0 sweat they'll smell you if they're down wind.

Re: Big guy hunting issue [Re: Hammer2045] #7632774 10/15/19 01:34 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Walk 2 hours every day until next bow season and you won’t sweat so bad next year.

Re: Big guy hunting issue [Re: batman] #7632801 10/15/19 01:56 AM
H
Hammer2045 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Thanks for the info batman & scalebuster. I definitely think I will dress in less layers tomorrow morning. Although it is supposed to rain, but I am up for the task. Batman, do you use a particular brand of hunting clothing or do you not subscribe to that school of thougt?

Re: Big guy hunting issue [Re: Hammer2045] #7632835 10/15/19 02:38 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
You gotta hunt the wind. Regardless of what you do, you will never remove all of your scent. I do put xeer urine on my boots though. I figure if I can't eliminate my scent, maybe some cover scent will help.

Re: Big guy hunting issue [Re: Hammer2045] #7632860 10/15/19 03:25 AM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Scent cover is a scam. Wind is right or it ain't. Kudos for hunting hard. Keep after it you'll lose some pounds and be jogging in before you know it

Re: Big guy hunting issue [Re: Hammer2045] #7632867 10/15/19 03:34 AM
D
Dalee7892 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Yes play the wind, if you are hunti g around ant type of cedar cut some branches pull some needles off rub on clothes, if hunting around cows step in some fresh stuff. The types of scents used is the doe or buck urine. Just some ideas.
Good luck. We all sweat.

Last edited by Dalee7892; 10/15/19 03:35 AM.
Re: Big guy hunting issue [Re: Hammer2045] #7632871 10/15/19 03:50 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I'm also 300 lbs, and I have always had an issue of getting busted. My secret tool in my bag for scent control is Nose Jammer. I use this religiously for bow season and for rifle season. My bow stand is 26 yards away and my rifle stand is about 70 yards away. I've had deer walk in front of me in the box blind down wind with the windows open after a night of camp fire and zero scent control effort and not get busted at all. Spray this stuff on the outside of your blind, on tree limbs next to you, on your clothes (I make sure to hit my crotch, underarm areas, my hat, boots, etc). I'll re-apply after about 45 minutes to an hour.

https://nosejammer.com/

I just bought this Nose Jammer packet and like it a lot.

I tried every single product on eliminating scent for your clothes... soap/shampoo for your skin, sprays for your clothes, laundry detergent, you name it, and I would get busted in 2 seconds. I started using this Nose Jammer, and I've had deer feet from me with no alarming at all. It really is a great product. There are several hunters on our place that use this every hunt. I HIGHLY recommend it. I don't go into the woods without it now.

During bow season, I also hunt in a carbon suit that's heat activated. This helped the most of everything I tried. But it gets worn a few bow hunts with the heavy clothing in the warmer periods, and I'll sweat. I always have my Nose Jammer though. I'm going on 2 or 3 seasons with it so far. I wouldn't pump this product if it didn't work.

Also, wear minimal clothing hiking into your stand. Dress up once you are there. I do this in the winter time also. I have about a 400+ yard walk to my deer stand. If I wear my cover-all's in on my walk, I'll get a little sweaty and freeze in about an hour. I'll walk in with just pants and shirt on and carry my gear (rifle, back pack, cover alls). I do the same for my bow hunts. I'll dress up once I get to the stand area.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Big guy hunting issue [Re: Hammer2045] #7633022 10/15/19 01:28 PM
B
budward Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I recommend to do it once or twice a day and lose some weight

Re: Big guy hunting issue [Re: Hammer2045] #7633079 10/15/19 02:23 PM
R
retfuz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Some of that may help, but each breath you expel radiates your scent. Like unclebubba said, hunt the wind.

Re: Big guy hunting issue [Re: ducknbass] #7633083 10/15/19 02:25 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by ducknbass
Scent cover is a scam. Wind is right or it ain't. Kudos for hunting hard. Keep after it you'll lose some pounds and be jogging in before you know it

Yep. Somehow we managed to kill deer in the past without scent cover simply because we hunted the wind.

Re: Big guy hunting issue [Re: ChadTRG42] #7633113 10/15/19 02:58 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
I'm also 300 lbs, and I have always had an issue of getting busted. My secret tool in my bag for scent control is Nose Jammer. I use this religiously for bow season and for rifle season. My bow stand is 26 yards away and my rifle stand is about 70 yards away. I've had deer walk in front of me in the box blind down wind with the windows open after a night of camp fire and zero scent control effort and not get busted at all. Spray this stuff on the outside of your blind, on tree limbs next to you, on your clothes (I make sure to hit my crotch, underarm areas, my hat, boots, etc). I'll re-apply after about 45 minutes to an hour.

I tried every single product on eliminating scent for your clothes... soap/shampoo for your skin, sprays for your clothes, laundry detergent, you name it, and I would get busted in 2 seconds. I started using this Nose Jammer, and I've had deer feet from me with no alarming at all. It really is a great product. There are several hunters on our place that use this every hunt. I HIGHLY recommend it. I don't go into the woods without it now.

During bow season, I also hunt in a carbon suit that's heat activated. This helped the most of everything I tried. But it gets worn a few bow hunts with the heavy clothing in the warmer periods, and I'll sweat. I always have my Nose Jammer though. I'm going on 2 or 3 seasons with it so far. I wouldn't pump this product if it didn't work.

Also, wear minimal clothing hiking into your stand. Dress up once you are there. I do this in the winter time also. I have about a 400+ yard walk to my deer stand. If I wear my cover-all's in on my walk, I'll get a little sweaty and freeze in about an hour. I'll walk in with just pants and shirt on and carry my gear (rifle, back pack, cover alls). I do the same for my bow hunts. I'll dress up once I get to the stand area.

I got busted using Nose Jammer. However, I don't think they smelled me, I think the two different deer freaked out about the smell of Nose Jammer. They didn't blow, and they acted differently than I'm used to when getting busted. I can't say 100% if any other deer that day came or went because of it but it sort of seemed to work, at least re human scent. My suggestion with NJ would be to use it and see what happens, and if you get a notable reaction from some but not all, start using it every single time, even going out of your way to use it on the blind as you're leaving, as you're filling a feeder, etc. If you condition them to it and it helps in some way to mute human scent, you'll be ahead.

And for the OP, hunt the wind as best you can.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Big guy hunting issue [Re: Hammer2045] #7633133 10/15/19 03:23 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Ditto on the 'huksy'. I am down 40 and that has made a huge difference from last season to this one.

First and foremost, HUNT THE WIND for two reasons, 1 - the obvious scent control, but 2. the wind in your face will help speed up sweat evaporation.

After that, my regimen is to hike in as lightly clothed as possible, I go in early and let my core cool down before getting camo'd up in the stand; on those 90+ degree afternoon bow hunts, that's tough to do. While walking in, there isn't a pile of cow crap I won't step in. Mud, too. I will use campfire to 'smoke' my hunting gear.

As an aside, watch your weight ratings on tripods/stands and hunt with a partner or at least let someone know when to expect you back at home or camp - AND DONT FORGET TO CHECK IN WITH THEM. Our added heft necessitates some precautions/reminders in that regard.

Re: Big guy hunting issue [Re: Hammer2045] #7633255 10/15/19 05:34 PM
F
foodieguy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
You can try and reduce your scent other ways too. I mostly bow hunt now, during the season I use unscented soap in the shower, unscented deodorant, and i don't wear any cologne either. Be sure and smell the soaps though, some "unscented" soaps still have an odor, some quite strong. I also store my hunting clothes in a bin, and I put some cedar branches in a pillow case and put them in there. My clothes smell like cedar. Same for my backpack. Find something that would work where you hunt. My first lease I used goatweed because thats what was around. All this stuff is cheap to free too!

None of this will fool a deer's nose, but I like to think that it's a step in the right direction. Why make it easy for them, right? No matter what, playing the wind is the primary thing, followed real close by staying still. They can see movement like crazy, no matter which way the wind is blowing. Use your eyes, move your head and body SLOWLY. Avoid digging around your backpack and making noise.

Good luck!

Adult late onset hunter. Why did I wait so long to get started?
Re: Big guy hunting issue [Re: Choctaw] #7633298 10/15/19 06:24 PM
S
Scott W Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Choctaw
Originally Posted by ducknbass

Yep. Somehow we managed to kill deer in the past without scent cover simply because we hunted the wind.

I was at my place over the weekend, checked feeders, game cams and even sat in my bright white truck with it running in front of a feeder for 15 minutes while I downloaded pics from 2 cameras. I even revved my engine once to get the cows away, they were licking the truck so bad it was shaking it.

I then moved on to my brother's stand and his son's to check feeders and cameras, then came back to mine and my son and I sat in it for an hour to watch the sunset.

When we returned, 45 minutes later, there was a small buck under the feeder. We got in the stand quietly and he was there when we left.

Originally Posted by Scott W
Re: Big guy hunting issue [Re: Hammer2045] #7633312 10/15/19 06:47 PM
T
TigerCobra Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I make my own scent spray I boil acorns and the leaves and put a little vanilla extract in it and put into spray bottles and spray my self down and gear it’s cheap and works , I also store my clothes in giant ziplock backs with acorns and apple scented corn. If you use apple scented corn in a feeder you can wash with apple scented shampoo for your body and clothes and it works very well and I chew apple gum

Re: Big guy hunting issue [Re: Hammer2045] #7633420 10/15/19 08:38 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I sat in the high seat of my Kubota RTV down in an open river bottom on 2 different sits last weekend, and had different deer within 20 yards during both hunts. Some were even down wind ... the bucks didn't seem to care but the does would only come in to about 100 yards and get spooky and wouldn't come in any closer.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by PMK; 10/15/19 08:45 PM.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Big guy hunting issue [Re: PMK] #7633529 10/15/19 10:23 PM
B
brokenpole Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by PMK
I sat in the high seat of my Kubota RTV down in an open river bottom on 2 different sits last weekend, and had different deer within 20 yards during both hunts. Some were even down wind ... the bucks didn't seem to care but the does would only come in to about 100 yards and get spooky and wouldn't come in any closer.

[Linked Image]

Lol so many hunting bubbles popped right there and wasted money for the got to have items

Re: Big guy hunting issue [Re: Hammer2045] #7633760 10/16/19 03:44 AM
H
Hammer2045 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Thanks Everyone, for all of the sage advice! I will take it to heart and I look forward to posting pics of my 1st harvested deer this season!

Re: Big guy hunting issue [Re: Hammer2045] #7633872 10/16/19 12:22 PM
Gringocazador Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Just my opinion for what its worth. Its all about the wind. If you've ever hunted in Africa, not much smells worse than some of the Trackers. They get pretty ripe and may have a red shirt on, none I hunted with had one thread of camo.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Big guy hunting issue [Re: ChadTRG42] #7633936 10/16/19 01:30 PM
U
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42

Chad, you mentioned campfire in your comment. Campfire smoke actually has some antibacterial properties. When I am at our place in OK (no running water, no electricity) I have been known to strip to my skivvies and stand in the campfire smoke. Believe it or not, it does work.

Re: Big guy hunting issue [Re: Hammer2045] #7634121 10/16/19 03:53 PM
W
wp75169 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Unclebubba I’m known to do that too but it’s usually alcohol induced.

Re: Big guy hunting issue [Re: wp75169] #7634316 10/16/19 06:34 PM
U
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by wp75169
Unclebubba I’m known to do that too but it’s usually alcohol induced.

Never said that I didn't drink around the campfire....

Re: Big guy hunting issue [Re: unclebubba] #7634372 10/16/19 07:25 PM
H
HoldPoint Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H

Chad, you mentioned campfire in your comment. Campfire smoke actually has some antibacterial properties. When I am at our place in OK (no running water, no electricity) I have been known to strip to my skivvies and stand in the campfire smoke. Believe it or not, it does work.

[Linked Image]

Re: Big guy hunting issue [Re: Hammer2045] #7634488 10/16/19 09:29 PM
D
Duck Buster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Hey Hammer, don't get discouraged at all. You're already on the right track of going slow, and just getting out there- and willing to do it.

I'm substantially smaller (5'7, 170 lbs) and I sweat like crazy and it takes me forever to cool down also. I just run hot all the time and am prone to sweating easily, so although I don't have the exact issues you do due to surface area/volume ratio I can completely relate. SO here are my few suggestions:

Long term- the best solution as others have pointed out, will to be practice walking that distance so that it is a breeze and your body is used to it. Along with that will likely be the benefit of losing a few pounds.

Short term- At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I will only provide slight modifications to other peoples suggestions.
Take it slow. Unfortunately this means getting up earlier and getting there earlier to give yourself plenty of time. Go in wearing light layers, AND/OR carry a second set of clean clothes to change into once you get close. I've done both, and have actually changed clothes and stashed them in a scent blocking back along my route, allowing myself time to cool down before changing. If there's a creek near or I am carrying enough water, I splash myself as well to help cool down and wash away some sweat. I also re-apply scent free deodorant once I arrive.

Beyond that, wind can be your friend. Do what you can to plan, but most importantly, just keep going out and trying.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide