Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics536,997
Posts9,719,301
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Weatherford or Mineral Wells - any wild game meat locker overnite rentals available?? #7630682 10/12/19 02:45 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Won a GDE Lottery Hunt at Mineral Wells SP scheduled for mid December and been having a text conversation with the MWSP Park Manager about when to checkin and where to go when etc. She mentioned that they no longer have an over nite storage locker for Permit Hunters like was there last time I drew a hunt there about 10 years ago. She mentioned in passing that there was freezer locker game storage available in Weatherford though, but with no names or other info. ...So ...the ?? is where to take fresh dead stuff to over nite it until the Hunt is over.

Any other info about that Hunt success levels in recent years or what to expect for this year would be appreciated too. With a lack of a minium antler requirement - "any hardened Antler protruding thru the skin is a Legal Buck" the Buck crop this year must be much larger than normal too. and the hog infestation also must have become a problem too a No Limit on hogs for the Lottery Hunt.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Weatherford or Mineral Wells - any wild game meat locker overnite rentals available?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #7630798 10/12/19 05:44 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
No help on the locker, bit wishing the best of luck on the hunt. We love that state park, really a beauty.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Weatherford or Mineral Wells - any wild game meat locker overnite rentals available?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #7630894 10/12/19 08:03 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Check with Teels in Weatherford

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Weatherford or Mineral Wells - any wild game meat locker overnite rentals available?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #7630917 10/12/19 08:51 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Also might check with Dan's in Weatherford. Super nice folks.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Weatherford or Mineral Wells - any wild game meat locker overnite rentals available?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #7630996 10/12/19 10:58 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I'll check out Teel's and Dan's for sure. Thanks
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: Weatherford or Mineral Wells - any wild game meat locker overnite rentals available?? [Re: Jimbo1] #7631367 10/13/19 03:07 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Also might check with Dan's in Weatherford. Super nice folks.

They sure are nice people and the girls make some killer sweets too. Jerky is also excellent.

They are actually on the north side of town a couple miles on Zion Hill rd (cr 2421). So I'd call and set it up before hand, pretty sure I saw a drop box deal, but didn't ask about it.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Weatherford or Mineral Wells - any wild game meat locker overnite rentals available?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #7631424 10/13/19 05:10 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Any comments on the deer herd & hogs in the SP area? When I hunted MWSP on a GDA Hunt about 10 years ago, my 1st set up was on ther far north east side of the property, sandwiched 'tween some private land pastures. On the Parks' land there were 2 "blinds" from coming in north & facing north and another one on the south side of the property & facing west a couple 3-4 hundred yards apart. I was in the "south" blind and had a private fence line to my south side with scattered brush and totally open in front of me for 4-500 yards + to a fence and treeline.

Had the biggest spike I ever saw stick his nose past the big brush pile to my north side and how he did not bust me i'll never understand. He was close eough for me that I could smell his breath, so I know he could smell mine...that guys antler's were 18+"s tall with no forks but several knobs and thick & twisted spots where Ma Nature had tried to give him a normal set of head gear....looked like somehting out of Africa. As a Spike he was legal for me to shoot but if I had moved more than an eye blink he'd made me at the under 20' distance he came in to until the guy in the other blind spooked him with gunfire from my north. Saw the Big Spike later at the outer edge of my "range area" about 300 yards in front of me but never felt comfortable taking the shot offhand with the doe's and other bucks he was mingled in with feeding in a swale's green spot....as my 5 gallon plastic bucket of a "chair" was little unstable if I shifted my weight at all. Brought my own chair the next day when I moved blinds after that Opening Day experience, when the guy to my north side had burned up a box+ of ammo and could not hit nuthin but dirt in a 4+ hour afternoon's sit and spooked me and the deer herd to be anywhere around him.

Never saw any hog sign on that Hunt anywhere, so on this Hunt I'll shoot what porkers I can but only if anyone else wants one, as my BH refuses to eat one and I'm under strict orders at home NOT to bring one home.
Ron

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide