Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: College funds [Re: BigPig] #7629465 10/10/19 09:29 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Reading is vital. It cannot be stayed just how important it is.
Many kids today cannot read. At all!

Good job to you and yours.

Proverbs 2
Re: College funds [Re: BigPig] #7629497 10/10/19 10:07 PM
MikeC Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My oldest grandson is getting what amounts to a full ride on academic scholarships. It pays to keep the grades up through high school and keeping your nose clean at the same time. Colleges look at pretty much every aspect of a students life that is applying for scholarships.

www.connerknives.net

In every old body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!

[Linked Image]
Re: College funds [Re: huntingag01] #7629737 10/11/19 03:46 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by huntingag01
Those numbers are inflated IMO. Also, I am using the 529 to supplement, not cover all the costs.

I'm not so sure. When I started college 20 years ago the school I went to was around $12k per year, now it's over $37k. Tuition at UT has more than tripled in the last 20 years as well.

Re: College funds [Re: BigPig] #7629765 10/11/19 07:21 AM
E
Eyesofahunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Originally Posted by BigPig
Well. Had a little bit of a shock to the system today. Went to setup a 529 for my son. We picked UT as a college just for the cost to get a starting point. Currently $22,000 a year for tuition and boarding. So $88,000 for a 4 year degree. 18 years from now that’s expected to be $229,000 for 4 years. What a [censored] ripoff.

So, to fund that, $25,000 initial investment requires $356 monthly for 22 years. eek2

Son is Freshman at A&M first semester so far all in $14,000 expecting total first year cost to be 28-30K. Get to saving those pennies.

Re: College funds [Re: Eyesofahunter] #7629777 10/11/19 10:53 AM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Eyesofahunter
Well. Had a little bit of a shock to the system today. Went to setup a 529 for my son. We picked UT as a college just for the cost to get a starting point. Currently $22,000 a year for tuition and boarding. So $88,000 for a 4 year degree. 18 years from now that’s expected to be $229,000 for 4 years. What a [censored] ripoff.

So, to fund that, $25,000 initial investment requires $356 monthly for 22 years. eek2

Son is Freshman at A&M first semester so far all in $14,000 expecting total first year cost to be 28-30K. Get to saving those pennies.

Wow not sure how that's possible. My oldest daughter graduated from A&M College Station in December and my youngest started there in August this year as a freshmen.

I have paid for all their college out of my pocket not using any savings, I will give you some real numbers of what it costs, at A&M tuition is locked at the same price after the first semester.

This year tuition for both fall and spring semester will be $11,962.70 this includes the full sport pass for all games and a $515 parking pass.
I have her living in a townhouse/apartment across from Kyle Field for $585 per month plus electric which runs about $30-$50 per month which in $7,500 for 12 months.

Total cost is $19,462.70 a year plus whatever she spends on groceries. These are real numbers.

I did save money for their college but did not use any 529 plans or anything, I saved money on my own terms so I could control it, I still have it and have not touched it. I had two plans actually, the money I saved was the backup plan, the real plan was to pay off all debt including house, cars, boats, while the oldest was in high school so we could pay college out of pocket when both went which is what we are doing now.
Its probably not the most popular plan for most people that want to "keep up with the Jones" but it is working for me.

Re: College funds [Re: mohunter] #7629818 10/11/19 12:57 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by mohunter

Wow not sure how that's possible. My oldest daughter graduated from A&M College Station in December and my youngest started there in August this year as a freshmen.

I have paid for all their college out of my pocket not using any savings, I will give you some real numbers of what it costs, at A&M tuition is locked at the same price after the first semester.

This year tuition for both fall and spring semester will be $11,962.70 this includes the full sport pass for all games and a $515 parking pass.
I have her living in a townhouse/apartment across from Kyle Field for $585 per month plus electric which runs about $30-$50 per month which in $7,500 for 12 months.

Total cost is $19,462.70 a year plus whatever she spends on groceries. These are real numbers.

You didn't include books, fees, meals, or any other living expenses. Books can easily be several hundred dollars per semester, food cost is gonna be a several thousand per year. What about internet/cable/phone/computer, auto expenses, living expenses, etc., as well?

The $28-30k all-in seems pretty accurate when you add everything up.

Re: College funds [Re: BigPig] #7629822 10/11/19 01:01 PM
B
BarneyWho Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
Tell those kids to get a full athletic scholarship. Worked pretty well for my parents! lizard

Re: College funds [Re: DocHorton] #7629897 10/11/19 02:36 PM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted by DocHorton
Originally Posted by mohunter

You didn't include books, fees, meals, or any other living expenses. Books can easily be several hundred dollars per semester, food cost is gonna be a several thousand per year. What about internet/cable/phone/computer, auto expenses, living expenses, etc., as well?

The $28-30k all-in seems pretty accurate when you add everything up.

I am giving real world numbers here, this is my 5th year paying for it so I have a pretty good idea what it costs, not just throwing numbers out there.
My kids have never spent more than $500 for books, usually no more than $200, not many classes even use actual books anymore, there are other options. Fees are include in the tuition figure I gave earlier.
Internet/cable, water, furniture, utlitiies except electricity are all included in the apartment monthly fee.
As far as food, car expenses and gas those are normal expenses they would have anywhere so I did not include those, if I did my girls spend about $200 in groceries a month.

My point is most numbers you see are over inflated in my opinion.

Re: College funds [Re: DocHorton] #7629951 10/11/19 03:31 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by DocHorton
Originally Posted by JLD1911
I’m probably in the minority here, but this needs to be said. Sending your kid to college debt free sends the wrong message. Debt never killed anyone. Yes, my parents helped me. I still took loans to avoid putting them in a ridiculous amount of debt. I’m at approximately 29K with two loans. Does it suck paying them every month? YES! But life isn’t all sunshine and roses. One post on here talked basically buying your kid’s morally in exchange for a free education? Pathetically sad if you ask me.

Not many better ways to give your child a leg-up financially and in life than to help pay for their college. Student debt can be a killer. I'd rather my child have an opportunity to get a head start on buying a house, investing, saving for retirement, buying a business, etc. than paying back student loans. Making a kid pay for their own college teaches them very little, except that student loans suck (as you mention yourself), and many who start college on their own dime never finish. Plenty of other ways to teach your child the value of hard work, sacrifice, and sound financial management than saddling them with college debt, IMO. To each their own....more than one way to do it.

I think struggle is good for you, its at least a damn fine teacher. Mine didn't pay for all of mine and im not going to pay for all of my kids either. I guess as you make more and more money it becomes less and less important. I want good for my kids I help and support them. I would forego hunting, fishing, eating etc. to put food on the table and a roof over my kids heads, but well provided for their needs and a bit of their wants im not going to short change my plans and dreams to turn them into a trust fund baby. If you got more money than you can spend the eh whatever, I have no experience in that.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: College funds [Re: BigPig] #7629972 10/11/19 03:56 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
For the same price as expensive US college, send your kids to study overseas for a year or two.
They will learn 1 or 2 languages, different cultures, grow up faster, etc. looks good on the resume as well.
Just dont send them to party cities such as Barcelona though.

Last edited by beaversnipe; 10/11/19 03:56 PM.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: College funds [Re: mohunter] #7630049 10/11/19 05:43 PM
E
Eyesofahunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E

[/quote]

The $28-30k all-in seems pretty accurate when you add everything up.[/quote]

I am giving real world numbers here, this is my 5th year paying for it so I have a pretty good idea what it costs, not just throwing numbers out there.
My kids have never spent more than $500 for books, usually no more than $200, not many classes even use actual books anymore, there are other options. Fees are include in the tuition figure I gave earlier.
Internet/cable, water, furniture, utlitiies except electricity are all included in the apartment monthly fee.
As far as food, car expenses and gas those are normal expenses they would have anywhere so I did not include those, if I did my girls spend about $200 in groceries a month.

My point is most numbers you see are over inflated in my opinion.[/quote]

My number is ALL IN right down to the two fishing poles I discovered I paid for that is MY REAL WORLD NUMBER!

Re: College funds [Re: BigPig] #7630058 10/11/19 06:05 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Teenagers are not cheap in Highschool.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: College funds [Re: BigPig] #7630151 10/11/19 07:34 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Education is the most important thing you can acquire in life. That does not necessarily mean a college degree.
A good college education, with a good work ethic, in a good field can provide a life of financial stability.
I paid for my sons education at A+M and am thankful I could. It is up to him now. Those that choose to not help their children pay for college have every right to make that call.

Proverbs 2
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide