Print Thread
ATN X-SIGHT OPINIONS #7628633 10/09/19 10:36 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
What do you guys think about the ATN X-SIGHT line of digital scopes for recording your hunts?

Re: ATN X-SIGHT OPINIONS [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7628638 10/09/19 10:40 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
There's been a few threads on here about that. A lot of people here have had issues with ATN products.

Re: ATN X-SIGHT OPINIONS [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7628710 10/09/19 11:58 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Years ago I bought one. It was ok for daytime use but there was a ton of issues others experienced so I sold mine. Hopefully they have gotten better since then.

Re: ATN X-SIGHT OPINIONS [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7629087 10/10/19 01:30 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Besides the products being garbage, there's this...

ATN & Russia

ATN's gun scope app

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: ATN X-SIGHT OPINIONS [Re: CharlieCTx] #7629120 10/10/19 02:20 PM
D
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
Besides the products being garbage, there's this...

ATN & Russia

ATN's gun scope app

Are you simply stating they are garbage because you dislike the company or because you've purchased and used their products and found them lacking? If you have found them deficient in some way, I would love to hear about that experience. My post is obviously an attempt to gather information to make a decision on whether or not to purchase the product ... a general claim that they are garbage without elaborating isn't really helpful.

Concerning the Obsidian 4 app - I wouldn't use it anyway, so the government trying to get the names of people who downloaded it isn't a concern of mine. And it's doubtful the government will actually be successful in getting a court order to force the turnover.

Concerning the ATN founders family's action of exporting night vision technology to Russia - that doesn't concern me either. The Russian Federation steals from us, we steal from them...that's what governments do... that falls into my "whatever, don't care" category - esp. when we're talking about technology readily available to US consumers... all pretty silly. That's the government's problem, not mine. A relatively pointless problem at that - there is really only one country in the world that we can't enter into open warfare with and that is the Russian Federation - our nuclear arsenals ensure that any conflict is a no-win conflict for both sides, so it's never going to happen. Russian soldiers walking around with the same ATN scope on their rifle as a million hillbillies doesn't really matter to me. We're still talking about an American company that employs lots of Americans and thus provides for lots of American families. If I worried about every bit of technology being shared by American companies with foreign nations, I wouldn't be able to do business with any American business.... IBM selling chip/server technologies to China... Microsoft, Apple, Cisco Systems...every major technology company in America is basically guilty of improper technology transfers.

What my post is after is a fair and rational review of the ATN X-Sight scopes... honestly, the bulk of what I've heard to date is actually pretty positive - but I thought I would see what THF crowd thought about them.

Last edited by Binary; 10/10/19 02:27 PM.
Re: ATN X-SIGHT OPINIONS [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7629126 10/10/19 02:27 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I recommend posting in the optics section. I don’t own one but know several that have and most regretted their purchase. Customer service is horrible. Most irritating from feedback I received is freezing and having to power down and reboot.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: ATN X-SIGHT OPINIONS [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7629127 10/10/19 02:29 PM
D
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
I recommend posting in the optics section. I don’t own one but know several that have and most regretted their purchase. Customer service is horrible. Most irritating from feedback I received is freezing and having to power down and reboot.

Ahh, yeah freezing is not be something I would want to experience in the middle of taking a shot. Thanks for the input and suggestion.

Re: ATN X-SIGHT OPINIONS [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7629190 10/10/19 03:50 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I was disappointed with mine. Would never buy their product again.

Re: ATN X-SIGHT OPINIONS [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7629212 10/10/19 04:08 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Binary
Are you simply stating they are garbage because you dislike the company or because you've purchased and used their products and found them lacking? If you have found them deficient in some way, I would love to hear about that experience. My post is obviously an attempt to gather information to make a decision on whether or not to purchase the product ... a general claim that they are garbage without elaborating isn't really helpful.

I purchased and tried to use an X-Sight 1 and gave up, as did many others. If you compare any current ATN Thermal to most anyone else's Thermal, you'll also find it to be severely lacking as well. I do have (2) of their pre-HD Monocular's which still used the FLIR core and they are good products. Pulsar is a much better choice for NV and there are several Thermal alternatives that are MUCH better.

Had I known about the articles I posted before buying any of their stuff, I wouldn't have considered them for that purpose alone.

Russian soldiers walking around with the same ATN scope on their rifle as a million hillbillies doesn't really matter to me. We're still talking about an American company that employs lots of Americans and thus provides for lots of American families. If I worried about every bit of technology being shared by American companies with foreign nations, I wouldn't be able to do business with any American business.... IBM selling chip/server technologies to China... Microsoft, Apple, Cisco Systems...every major technology company in America is basically guilty of improper technology transfers.

Really, they employ lots of Americans and provide for lots of families? LinkedIn has 39 registered people and Crunchbase shows 11-50 employees. They sure are a cornerstone of the American economy. flag

Their BBB rating is also a good sign of a real standup company BBB rating

I wasn't aware of the tech companies you list doing improper transfers either, what exactly are they doing that is illegal? I work for one of them, so I'd like to hear.

I'm getting an odd troll'ish odor here...

M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Re: ATN X-SIGHT OPINIONS [Re: CharlieCTx] #7629246 10/10/19 04:48 PM
D
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D

I purchased and tried to use an X-Sight 1 and gave up, as did many others. If you compare any current ATN Thermal to most anyone else's Thermal, you'll also find it to be severely lacking as well. I do have (2) of their pre-HD Monocular's which still used the FLIR core and they are good products. Pulsar is a much better choice for NV and there are several Thermal alternatives that are MUCH better.

Had I known about the articles I posted before buying any of their stuff, I wouldn't have considered them for that purpose alone.

So you used the thermal and thought it lacked in overall functionality compared to others on the market... good to know. I wasn't particularly in the market for a thermal, I think that is the THOR line and not the X-Sight line but I'll keep that in mind should I ever consider the thermal. I'm mostly interested in the video capturing capabilities and less interested in the NV or thermal capabilities (I don't generally hunt at night).

Really, they employ lots of Americans and provide for lots of families? LinkedIn has 39 registered people and Crunchbase shows 11-50 employees. They sure are a cornerstone of the American economy.

The last company I sold had 2 employees listed on LinkedIn and we employed over 50 people in the US alone, so I'm not sure that a Google search leading to a LinkedIn page is going to be a reliable source for information that most businesses don't publish :P Being that the majority of the country relies on small businesses for their livelihood, your pointless attack on them is silly and uninformed. You don't like the company - that is fine, you've made that point and I don't really care to get in a pissing match with you over the importance of small businesses in America and whether or not I should support ATN with my business because you don't like them. My decision to support or not support them with my money will be based on a decision I'm attempting to make about the quality of their products that I am interested in - not politics and not how big of a company they are.

Their BBB rating is also a good sign of a real standup company BBB rating

BBB is a worthless company that is essentially a place for every unhappy customer to go gripe about something (and for rival companies to tarnish the name of their competition through fake reviews). The vast majority of businesses with reviews on BBB, don't even participate in the BBB process. Unfortunately, that's pretty much what the WWW as a whole is becoming - a place for people to cry. I would sooner believe what comes out of Hillary Clinton's mouth than what I read on the BBB.

I wasn't aware of the tech companies you list doing improper transfers either, what exactly are they doing that is illegal?

Extremely common occurrence - normally just results in fines to big companies and they have to promise to not do it again. Just search for Bureau of Export Administration (BXA) violations - you don't need me to do your research for you. I've defended multiple Fortune 500 companies for such violations over the course of my legal career. This isn't something new and secretive, this stuff was going on before I was alive and it's all public information - the public just generally ignores it. I was still in undergrad in the 90s when Sun Microsystems got tagged for shipping computers to China and IBM got tagged for selling computers to a nuclear facility in Russia. This [censored] literally happens ALL the time. Hell, some companies have done a lot worse - Ford and General Motors supported the Nazi's in WWII - What kind of truck do you drive?

As far as a "troll'ish odor here..." There certainly is one... I'm asking about optics for hunting and you're ranting about Russia, export violations, and BBB ratings.... that's completely off the topic that I started and VERY trollish behavior...so that's you smelling yourself man. It's like guy that drops a silent deadly one in the room and then blames it on someone else LOL

Anyways though, I don't really want to turn the thread into a discussion about export violations by US companies, so I'd appreciate it if we can keep this about ATN X-Sight scopes. Thanks.

flag

Last edited by Binary; 10/10/19 05:12 PM.
Re: ATN X-SIGHT OPINIONS [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7629276 10/10/19 05:31 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Anyways though, I don't really want to turn the thread into a discussion about export violations by US companies, so I'd appreciate it if we can keep this about ATN X-Sight scopes.

Yes, we can carry on the ATN discussion as it's evident you have no idea what you're talking about on the other points.

M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Re: ATN X-SIGHT OPINIONS [Re: CharlieCTx] #7629280 10/10/19 05:38 PM
D
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Anyways though, I don't really want to turn the thread into a discussion about export violations by US companies, so I'd appreciate it if we can keep this about ATN X-Sight scopes.

Yes, we can carry on the ATN discussion as it's evident you have no idea what you're talking about on the other points.

I appreciate you deciding to stop trolling, deciding to be happy in your own blissful ignorance with regards to the off-topic matters, and keeping this thread on topic.

And thanks for your input on the thermal. Have a great day.

Last edited by Binary; 10/10/19 05:39 PM.
Re: ATN X-SIGHT OPINIONS [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7629537 10/10/19 10:51 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
The X-Sight is an excellent scope. You should buy one. wink

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: ATN X-SIGHT OPINIONS [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7629764 10/11/19 07:00 AM
E
Eyesofahunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
They are not plug and play. You have to tinker with all the settings and ir torch needed replacement on first version it ws a joke. I was early adopter of vs 1 and it works ok after a lot of setting adjustment. Friend bough vs 2 and he gave up because he wanted a plug and play setup and x sight are not in my experience.

Re: ATN X-SIGHT OPINIONS [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7629769 10/11/19 09:46 AM
P
Pig_Popper Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

Are you serious !????

You know he ought to buy two not just one

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: ATN X-SIGHT OPINIONS [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7629772 10/11/19 10:32 AM
F
fonzie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
I had one, sucked as a paper weight...... isn’t worth the money in my opinion.

FREE Hog Removal
817-823-8939
Re: ATN X-SIGHT OPINIONS [Re: Pig_Popper] #7629778 10/11/19 11:15 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Pig_Popper
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

Are you serious !????

You know he ought to buy two not just one

^^^^^

Just what I was thinking.

Buy one to use, one to keep as an investment. wink

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: ATN X-SIGHT OPINIONS [Re: Eyesofahunter] #7629856 10/11/19 01:43 PM
D
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by Eyesofahunter
They are not plug and play. You have to tinker with all the settings and ir torch needed replacement on first version it ws a joke. I was early adopter of vs 1 and it works ok after a lot of setting adjustment. Friend bough vs 2 and he gave up because he wanted a plug and play setup and x sight are not in my experience.

Thanks for the honest review, it's much appreciated.

Re: ATN X-SIGHT OPINIONS [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7630052 10/11/19 05:50 PM
L
lzybear75 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
We've been running 3 of the X-Sight 4K pros 5-20 for the last 7 -8 months, used them every weekend till bow season started. Over that time mine has froze up once, when i was watching the image on a tablet and walked out of range of the wifi, my gf's i dont recall ever freezing up,and my buddies has froze up 3-4 time. Mine and my gf's are opmod editions dont know if that makes a difference or not. The only other thing i would consider an issue is when the battery goes dead on the BLR and you try to range something, its a pain to get out of the range error, range infinity screen and it takes your yardage to 2000 yds. With that being said im extremely happy with mine, with upgraded ir lights from SHL and PT we have no problem making out pigs, deer, coyotes, and racoons at 300 yrds (tree line).

Re: ATN X-SIGHT OPINIONS [Re: lzybear75] #7630184 10/11/19 08:11 PM
D
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by lzybear75
We've been running 3 of the X-Sight 4K pros 5-20 for the last 7 -8 months, used them every weekend till bow season started. Over that time mine has froze up once, when i was watching the image on a tablet and walked out of range of the wifi, my gf's i dont recall ever freezing up,and my buddies has froze up 3-4 time. Mine and my gf's are opmod editions dont know if that makes a difference or not. The only other thing i would consider an issue is when the battery goes dead on the BLR and you try to range something, its a pain to get out of the range error, range infinity screen and it takes your yardage to 2000 yds. With that being said im extremely happy with mine, with upgraded ir lights from SHL and PT we have no problem making out pigs, deer, coyotes, and racoons at 300 yrds (tree line).

Awesome information, thanks a ton for taking the time to provide it. The 4k Pro is the specific one that I was looking at, so it's good to hear that someone with first hand experience with a newer model hasn't had any significant freezing issues that others have said they had with earlier versions.

Re: ATN X-SIGHT OPINIONS [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7631721 10/13/19 11:55 PM
C
ConfederateRobot Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C

Ahh, yeah freezing is not be something I would want to experience in the middle of taking a shot. Thanks for the input and suggestion.

When I spoke to them on the phone like a month ago, they said the freezing problem has been fixed. As a former video programmer, I think you have to be a pretty bad programmer, or not even have a real programmer on staff, to ever sell a product where the video freezes. They probably just connected together some open-source stuff, with no idea how it worked.

People are familiar with my hog-hunting robot which I recently used to kill an alligator:

https://youtu.be/zhEOJyC1XzY

You see I need video of the crosshairs. High-quality video takes a lot of processor time to compress and then uncompress in h264.They told me on the phone their latest software has about a 1/2 second delay. By then the target could move. Or the robot could move and be pointing at me. So I used the analog radio camera from a racing quadcopter. You can see the quality is terrible. So I spent some time thinking about solutions.

Since you can't use the delayed high-quality video to hunt, it is not required for it to show your crosshairs. It is probably cheaper to just attach a compact video camera with a telephoto lens to your barrel. Then the high-quality video is wide-angle, the sight is narrow-angle, you save a few hundred dollars, and you probably get better quality and reliability. The high-quality video won't have your sight crosshairs. But if the camera is attached rigidly, you could edit crosshairs into the video later if it is important.

Re: ATN X-SIGHT OPINIONS [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7632999 10/15/19 01:02 PM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I have the X-Sight 4K 3-14x. Mine has only frozen up a couple of times over the last year or so. They have issued some firmware updates to address most of the issues. One thing you should know. Don’t expect optical scope quality when looking through the device. You are essentially looking at a video camera viewfinder in the shape of a rifle scope. I use the smaller included IR illuminator for back yard pest control on a pellet rifle, while using the larger, Supernova 850 for long distance vision on an AR rifle.

As for the Obsidian 4 app, you will need to use it if you wish to rename any of your ballistic/zero profiles. Can’t be done with the scope alone as of yet. As to recorded video quality, you can see plenty of examples on YouTube in order to judge for yourself.

One major improvement the 4K has over the XSight 1 and 2, is battery life. You would have needed an external pack to make it through the night with the earlier models. The 4K has enough run time that you likely won’t need an external battery pack. The 4K has internal rechargeable battery only, so don’t expect to carry spare batteries and swap out. You will have to charge it or run it off external power if the internal battery is done.

Re: ATN X-SIGHT OPINIONS [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7633601 10/15/19 11:39 PM
E
Espy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
I bought one of the originals and got burned. Will never do business with them again. They put out a product that wasn't ready making the customer the beta tester. I ended up buying a Sightmark that worked great. They now sell one that records Sightmark Wraith HD 4-32x50 (I have never used one) I switched to thermal and have the Sightmark as a loner. Great customer service from them.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide