Forums46
Topics537,782
Posts9,729,069
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7628722 10/10/19 12:10 AM
T
TruckMan66 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
No I drive a diesel

banana

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628746 10/10/19 12:33 AM
T
tex70 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I've never even considered leaving mine running at the pump but what do I know confused2

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7628786 10/10/19 01:14 AM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
I shut my engine off. I don’t use my cell.

Have seen some rough stuff when gas fumes ignited. You internet tough guys can make fun if you want - I don’t give a ****.

How is stating fact being an internet tough guy?
I make my living in hydrocarbon risk management, I deal with this every day.
A cell phone is not going to spark off a gas pump filling a vehicle, neither will leaving your engine running. Static electricity will.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628812 10/10/19 01:28 AM
R
Rounder Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
R
Have done many hot turns in the aviation world. These days I shut off my vehicle and relax. Take a l..k or get something to drink , if I do not need to move it away from the pump due to traffic load.

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628819 10/10/19 01:32 AM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Actually,

" Texas Transportation Code Section 545.404.
UNATTENDED MOTOR VEHICLE.

(a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), an operator may not leave a vehicle unattended without:
(1) stopping the engine;
(2) locking the ignition;
(3) removing the key from the ignition;
(4) setting the parking brake effectively; and
(5) if standing on a grade, turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the highway.
(b) The requirements of Subsections (a)(1), (2), and (3) do not apply to an operator who starts the engine of a vehicle by using a remote starter or other similar device that:
(1) remotely starts the vehicle's engine without placing the key in the ignition; and
(2) requires the key to be placed in the ignition or physically present in the vehicle before the vehicle can be operated.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
Amended by:
Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1066 (H.B. 2194), Sec. 1, eff. June 19, 2015. "

From the 2019 Texas Drivers Handbook, Page 7,
Texas Dept. of Public Safety:

UNATTENDED MOTOR VEHICLE:

" It is illegal for any person in charge of a motor vehicle to permit it to stand unattended without first stopping the engine, locking the ignition, removing the key from the ignition, and effectively setting the brake, and when standing on any grade, without turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the roadway.

The requirements regarding turning off the engine, locking the ignition, and removing the key do not apply to a driver who starts the engine remotely by using a remote starter or other similar device that remotely starts the engine without the key in the ignition. Before the vehicle can be operated, the key must be placed in the ignition or must physically be present in the vehicle. "

You make of it what you will.

I'll do what what I'm comfortable with. I don't leave any vehicle idling while refueling.
Rare case of a diesel, only if the pyrometer shows too hot for shut down.

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: Rustler] #7628828 10/10/19 01:37 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Here we go, I all way knew I end up in the pen, looks like I’m a felon!!! There goes my chance of working with BIL and Bigpig at the FBI

Originally Posted by Rustler
Actually,

" Texas Transportation Code Section 545.404.
UNATTENDED MOTOR VEHICLE.

(a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), an operator may not leave a vehicle unattended without:
(1) stopping the engine;
(2) locking the ignition;
(3) removing the key from the ignition;
(4) setting the parking brake effectively; and
(5) if standing on a grade, turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the highway.
(b) The requirements of Subsections (a)(1), (2), and (3) do not apply to an operator who starts the engine of a vehicle by using a remote starter or other similar device that:
(1) remotely starts the vehicle's engine without placing the key in the ignition; and
(2) requires the key to be placed in the ignition or physically present in the vehicle before the vehicle can be operated.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
Amended by:
Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1066 (H.B. 2194), Sec. 1, eff. June 19, 2015. "

From the 2019 Texas Drivers Handbook, Page 7,
Texas Dept. of Public Safety:

UNATTENDED MOTOR VEHICLE:

" It is illegal for any person in charge of a motor vehicle to permit it to stand unattended without first stopping the engine, locking the ignition, removing the key from the ignition, and effectively setting the brake, and when standing on any grade, without turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the roadway.

The requirements regarding turning off the engine, locking the ignition, and removing the key do not apply to a driver who starts the engine remotely by using a remote starter or other similar device that remotely starts the engine without the key in the ignition. Before the vehicle can be operated, the key must be placed in the ignition or must physically be present in the vehicle. "

You make of it what you will.

I'll do what what I'm comfortable with. I don't leave any vehicle idling while refueling.
Rare case of a diesel, only if the pyrometer shows too hot for shut down.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7628845 10/10/19 01:47 AM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Here we go, I all way knew I end up in the pen, looks like I’m a felon!!! There goes my chance of working with BIL and Bigpig at the FBI

I wouldn't run out & get fitted for your prison uniform just yet or let it spoil your dreams.

Someone smarter than me will have to figure out what the legal definition of an 'unattended motor vehicle' actually is or means.

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: Sneaky] #7628853 10/10/19 01:54 AM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sneaky
Originally Posted by Sniper.270

But seriously, when it is your time, it’s your time.

Then why worry about it?

Common sense and worry are not synonymous!

You seem pretty wound up about it.

Your powers of perception are very inaccurate. I don’t get wound up over anything. But thanks for checking!

Proverbs 2
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: Sniper.270] #7628876 10/10/19 02:14 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Then why worry about it?

Common sense and worry are not synonymous!

You seem pretty wound up about it.

Your powers of perception are very inaccurate. I don’t get wound up over anything. But thanks for checking!

Alright. I’ll take your word for it. You just use a lot of exclamation marks. That generally means strong feelings or high volume. Now I know how you use them.

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: Gravytrain] #7629085 10/10/19 01:28 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Gravytrain
My check engine light will stay until reset by a scanner on if you leave the car running when you take off the gas cap. bang

What do you drive?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7629086 10/10/19 01:29 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
my truck didn't come with a gas cap. none needed.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7629110 10/10/19 02:05 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
There is room for a new thread called Fixed Position on THF. Did anyone change their mind? Has anyone ever changed their minds based on what is posted on THF?

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7630122 10/11/19 07:11 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
Do you believe that cellphones, and leaving cars running while pumping gas can cause a fire?

You asked "can" it cause a fire. The answer is 100% yes! You increase your risk of fire with either one of those options while pumping gas. I don't handle my phone when pumping gas, but I am certainly guilty of leaving my truck running while pumping gas. Usually it's to get a few gallons and go, like a quick NASCAR pit stop. And speaking of NASCAR, they don't turn off their cars either.

And they dump some fuel. I turn mine off. Don't understand the AC thing. You are under cover and it is not going to heat up that fast.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7630229 10/11/19 08:48 PM
C
Cool Mo D Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
Yep, if it's hot the A/C is staying on.

Static is the definitely a big concern especially in the winter time. When people get in, and out of their cars, and wear multiple layers of clothing.

BigBob i remember a huge fire at Kelly Airforce base. It was cause by static electricity. I was baffled as a child, as to how static could cause such a huge fire. It burned up a C5 if I remember correctly.

we always had a 3 way ground when refueling. iv'e seen jet fuel glow with static electricity. make you pucker up a bit.

scared

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7631211 10/13/19 08:27 AM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
take a bucket of gas, throw a lit cigarette in it . it wont light. my ol freiend, a shade tree mechanic always had a lit cig in his mouth while washing parts with gasoline, i warned him, he threw his cig in the gas, nothing happened.

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: vanguard] #7631343 10/13/19 02:32 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by vanguard
take a bucket of gas, throw a lit cigarette in it . it wont light. my ol freiend, a shade tree mechanic always had a lit cig in his mouth while washing parts with gasoline, i warned him, he threw his cig in the gas, nothing happened.

A co-worker of mine died from burns over 80% of his body when his truck cab blew up when he went to light his cigarette while driving to work.
He had an old classic truck with the gas tank behind the seat. The kind with the rubber hose at the filler tube which they determined was the case of the leak of fumes.
I know it was an open flame and him lighting the cig, but that old mechanic could someday forget and light up more than that cigarette.

Side note to S.A. Hunter: That wasn't a C5 that burned at Kelly, it was a B-52 that wasn't being fueled on the flight line where it was supposed to be fueled, but instead in an unauthorized area where maintenance crews were working. It was rumored that it was static electricity but later determined it was someone unplugging a radio by yanking on the cord and causing the spark.
I was working there at the time and it happened on the second shift.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide