Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Lease rules [Re: Jimbo1] #7626365 10/07/19 05:06 PM
D
DeCurry Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I've never been on a lease with a list of written rules, but I could see why some people would want that, particularly on the more expensive ones.

We've certainly had need for it given some of the people I've been on leases with, but I don't think written rules would have changed their behavior. Funny enough, on my first ever lease the people 'in charge' tried to lay down a long list of rules and consequences, but by the end of the season, they were the ones who had broken many of them (and as you can guess, with no consequences); thankfully they couldn't afford to come back the next season, so my brother-in-law and I took over after talking to the land owner.

We don't insist people help with mowing or other duties, but we do lead by example and would hope that common sense and decency would prevail. However, in our experience other people are almost always "busy that weekend" or if they do come down they somehow still managed to never have their area ready to hunt by the time season starts. It's also very rare we have anyone help with cleaning camp or clearing trails. We usually only invite friends, friends-of-friends, or family members to join the lease, thinking that by knowing them we won't have to put up with such behavior, but unfortunately they've almost always proven us wrong.

Re: Lease rules [Re: Txhunter65] #7626461 10/07/19 06:46 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Not everyone works a 9-5 with every weekend off. While I'm not on a lease and there are no written rules where I hunt, there is the expectation of pulling your own weight. My hunting partners and I all work shift work but not the same schedule so it might be months before our days off jive. As long as people pull their weight...

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Lease rules [Re: Jimbo1] #7626518 10/07/19 08:12 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Only reason I see it being a problem is if the lease has community blinds.

The leases I have been on you took care of your own. The landowner took care of main roads and you took care of the road to your stand as far as trimming. You trimmed your own shooting lanes maintained your own blinds and feeders etc. We shared a 2 room cabin with no running water and no electricity. Other than sweeping it out every once in a while that's all there was too it.

In todays day and age I think you are setting up for failure if you think everyone is going to get there on a picked day off the calendar. Even if you got everyone there, which I bet you wont, this is Texas it will probably snow in the morning rain till noon and burn the skin off your body with the afternoon sun on whatever day you picked to get a mountain of work done. I wouldn't be on a lease with that much community responsibility because I do not trust people I don't know.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Lease rules [Re: Jimbo1] #7626603 10/07/19 09:28 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
I'll say this and then leave the discussion. We had a great group for years that hunted together. We hunted Schleicher cty. For 5 years, (tons of deer), then moved to Kent cty. Totally different, big bucks but few and far between, at least in '97. Great lease though. Lease boss says, "everyone needs to show up sept1st". No problem, dove were plentiful. Made everyone bring loppers to cut out all the pissant mesquite in a 80 acre field so we could plant wheat. We did. Then he tells us HE is going to put up a stand and noone else can hunt the field, after we worked our azzes off and all paid for the rancher to plant. That was BS, but if you wanted to stay on the lease you better comply. Of course we did. Now I own my own place. We're here to have fun. No more BS rules other than keep your area clean, gather firewood if its needed. Dont shoot a young deer. That's pretty much it. Works great and no hard feelings.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Lease rules [Re: Jimbo1] #7626680 10/07/19 10:36 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I’m lucky enough that I have 4 different places to deer hunt on for doing a little work. I Quail Hunt with a buddy that also has deer hunting on one of his quail leases. I like the way they do the work days. They set 3 work weekends a year in advance that everyone has to attend or they have to pay $200. They have a group fund separate from the lease payment that they buy things needed for the lease. Every member is required to set up two stands with feeders when they joined and pay X amount to the lease account, all stands are open to hunt unless the owner or said stand is present that day. The corn, electricity and everything else comes out of this fund. If someone buys something for the lease they text the receipt to the lease accountant and they are mailed a check that week. They have been on the same lease for 18 years and the kitty never drops below $10K. Everyone is emailed an accounting of available funds and spending every quarter. If the lease dissolves money will be split evenly and mailed to the existing members.

Their setup sounds like the best one I’ve heard of. The only problem is having one responsible man or his wife to take care of the accounting.

Re: Lease rules [Re: tlk] #7626855 10/08/19 01:52 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by tlk
Truthfully this topic has been discussed over many years over and over. It always boils down to what is the paying hunter looking for??

Do you want a no rules/bring as many guest as I want/shoot whatever I want lease? If so then there are plenty of those out there.

OR......... do you want a well run, managed type lease where the goal is to improve the herd and try to grow bigger deer? Neither one is right or wrong - no different from do you like Ford or Chevy?

We are fortunate in that our ranch owners do all the work - feeding, shredding, stands, etc. - so our members are not required to do anything except show up - cost a little more money for each of them but they love it. Nobody has their own "area" - stands are first come first serve -

Each and every member signs our written rules every year - our rules clearly lay out what you can and cannot do. They also state that the ranch owners and lease boss can remove them for not following these rules with no refund of money.

When the type of money that is being paid now days for leases there has to be guidelines IMO - otherwise it becomes a free for all and chaos - been there and done that - no thanks

If you do not agree with the ranch/lease rules/guidelines then do not sign on - go find a different place to hunt. Pretty simple IMO

^^^^^^ Pretty much word for word what tlk said.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Lease rules [Re: Jimbo1] #7626874 10/08/19 02:12 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
'Toured a lease once that a member on here is/was the manager. Just the printed rules on how to leave the cabin, if you're the last one out, were pages long. They included mopping. I don't mop.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Lease rules [Re: Jimbo1] #7628351 10/09/19 05:15 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I really feel bad for the original poster. Know what he is going through. How do you make men do what they are supposed to do? Doing what you are supposed to do is almost becoming a lost art.

I know this, you can't expect others to treat you in the manner you would treat them. You'll get "punked" way too often.

Re: Lease rules [Re: Erathkid] #7628370 10/09/19 05:33 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Erathkid
I don't understand. What is so important that you have to have "work days". Mowing around camp? Everyone should take care of their own shtuff. I wouldn't want to be told I have to be down in 100 degree heat just to help do what, exactly? I take care of my own shtuff , no need for "work days".

We don't have assigned blinds they are all in the pool so maintenance and feeder filling fall on all lease members. We try to do one weekend in late September. If people cant make it fine we leave them a list of stuff to do. I would hate to be on a lease where I was stuck with one blind all season. I like hunting different areas. We have Axis on the river and Audaods in aother areas. Plus some blinds are much better for turkeys. It would not be right to limit people to a certain area.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Lease rules [Re: Hudbone] #7628626 10/09/19 10:25 PM
S
Stickchunker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Hudbone
I always like the hunters who like big camp fires, but never pick up firewood. The ones who tell you they are going to come down and help and then don't show up. Luckily, we haven't encountered many of these guys.

^^^THIS^^^

We had one "Mandatory" work weekend for firewood. We had a huge fire pit that everyone on the lease utilized, from cooking to just sitting around BS'n, we'd burn about 3 cords a season, and everyone bitched if someone was out cutting firewood during hunting season, so i made it a summer time task to prevent all of the belly aching! Other than that, all of ours we "Common Sense" rules.

In these times , 'I'll keep my God , my freedom , my gun and my money. Anyone that supports this insanity can keep "THE CHANGE".
Re: Lease rules [Re: Jimbo1] #7632528 10/14/19 09:23 PM
T
TXRobTRX Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
On our lease, we have formal rules on what are "shootable" deer, how we handle spikes, and so forth. These get tweaked yearly based on the tag allotment and the biologist notes.

Other than that, we keep each other accountable for work weekends and what-not, and everyone is expected to chip in and help. If some start to slack off, subtle pokes move people back on path.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to having a group of people of similar mind set and approach to the lease.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide