Print Thread
Honey creek SNA #7628604 10/09/19 10:00 PM
D
Deaf Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
I got drawn for Honey creek antlerless hunt in January. Anyone know anything about camping/lodging there? I know guad river SP is there but looks like it's closed during the hunt. Can hunters still camp during that time? If so do we still have to make reservations and pay camp fees?

Re: Honey creek SNA [Re: Deaf] #7631214 10/13/19 09:13 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
I hunted there in 2017 and we stayed in the Guadelupe SP. I had my travel trailer there. The orientation is at the SP or was when we went. Great staff and helpful. I took a Sika and small WT buck. My son also took a WT buck and doe. They are strict on reporting in on time. Good luck and enjoy because that is a hard one to draw.

Re: Honey creek SNA [Re: Deaf] #7631717 10/13/19 11:47 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I've never hunted Honey Creek but have drawn GuadRvrSP couple of times in years past. Yes you can camp there, Great campsites for RV & Tent campers.. Yes you need to make a reservation. Monster sized HEB and some fast food eateries nearby at Bulverde at the corner of Hwy 281 & 46 too. HCreek has always had more EXO's harvested too. Be EARLY for checkin at Guad Rvr's entry stop & Office/Gift Shop doan't forget get somethin' for the Better Half either my wife still wears her Guad Rvr TShirt embroidered with local Wildflowers which is Code for when she is happy with something special I've done for her...and there is ALWAYS a line of plenty of StandBy Hunters waiting for a late arrival to screw up a good hard to draw hunt.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Honey creek SNA [Re: WileyCoyote] #7632057 10/14/19 12:52 PM
D
Deaf Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
Thanks! Sounds great! Guess i need to call TPWD about campsite reservations since the website has the dates blocked out. I appreciate the advice

Re: Honey creek SNA [Re: Deaf] #7632200 10/14/19 03:05 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
FWIW back when I was there a couple times the most productive blinds seemed like they were way N'west in the Walk In tent camp area just south of the river, also as far north east as you can get a blind along the east fence line and down the hill would be a good spot with critters cheating over from HCreek.. Any of the blinds buried in the brush north of the concrete picnic table were a problem for me as I did not bring a ladder to get above the treeline , and had a couple instances of critters slipping thru the brush around me close enough to hear them snort when they made me. I also had some success just south & west of the water treatment spray field where the white rock jeep trail came off the hill top with a nice doe taken off the jeep trail after I figured out how to shoot thru a hole in the Cedar limbs that line the trail on both sides, and a Black Buck yearling that was couple hundred yards ahead of a gaggle of half a dozen of 'em that came south down the "fairway" and shortcut to the west from below the water treatment plant & SP Mgr's house.

Google Maps are your friend. Enjoy one of the best run Crown Jewels of the TPW Park System.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: Honey creek SNA [Re: WileyCoyote] #7633901 10/16/19 12:56 PM
D
Deaf Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
That sounds like some awesome info! I was under the impression that blinds were assigned. Do we get to pick our own? Also are you aware of a map with locations of those blinds? Or just search around satellite images?

Re: Honey creek SNA [Re: Deaf] #7634020 10/16/19 02:40 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
On the 2 Hunts I was on, a couple years apart, both times the blnds were intially assigned. When someone had "tagged" out that blind was open to being re assigned at the request of the Permit Holder "if they had not seen or taken any game". In those days there was no map of the blinds either. The reason I went into some detail on GuadRvr's setup was to give you an idea of how HC is probably going to be set up, but on a smaller scale, with only 10 Permits as I recall.

There was no Google Maps back when I was there last, but if you will get up close on the aerial views and recognize some of the landmark's i indicated you might have a better idea of why the success rates were what they were by the topography. I have been told that the non Hunting area on the south side of the river where there is a Children Plant ID area or ??? whatever they call it now is subject to the worst hog damage in the either Park and should be real close to the north west corner of HC. The mid section of Guad Rvr right on the river is very highly developed & not hunted ...but across the River is where the now BP only EXO Hunts take place. We were on our 1st Hunt years ago when the 1st Hunt over there had been allowed the previous week across the river and 6-8 CF hunters each harvested very large #'s of critters but the safety issue with that many CF rifles in that small an area caused some real safety issues is what I was told and never has been offered since, except to Archery or BP Hunters....and Yes these critters trade back and forth across the River freely as long as the water level is normal or lower.

Note the caveat in the HC area description about *distances required to hike* ...which tells me that there wil most likely be no vehicular traffic at all allowed for game retreval or access to the blinds. At 75 with lots of medical issues I am keenly aware of those kind of NOTES. Most all of Guad Rvr's blinds are an easy less than 1/2+ mile walk into the blinds, with vehicular access to pick up harvested game. Do the homework and have fun...I keep putting in for Guad Rvr, but at my age, always hunting alone and at my state of grace, I've quit putting in for Honey Creek and concentrate on Hunts where you are driven to the drop off point a short distance from the blinds.
Ron

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide