Forums46
Topics536,988
Posts9,719,174
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: MrMadMac] #7627977 10/09/19 11:49 AM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Originally Posted by MrMadMac

If you want to find out what an Internet troll is read this article.
Internet Trolls Are Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Sadists

rofl

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7628316 10/09/19 04:46 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I would not suggest shooting.

I never have stray dogs on our lease. Never seen one. NEVER WOULD SHOOT ONE. Never ever.

Would not mention it if one ever shows up. Ha. Would try to catch him and try and find him a good home.

wink

Proverbs 2
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7628384 10/09/19 05:44 PM
S
Stump_jumper Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
My dad shot one that was running a doe in northern Wisconsin. He had a doe tag so he shot the doe first. Back then they had problems with dogs running deer and you were told to shoot them. Different situation. You are talking miles and miles of forest and no livestock. They would cripple the deer by severing the tendon in their knee joint. Then they would kill it and just eat the innards.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: tlk] #7628530 10/09/19 08:54 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted by tlk
folks off the base would get transferred and drive out into the country and let their dogs out

These are the real POS, not what was mentioned earlier.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: garyrapp55] #7628943 10/10/19 04:44 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by garyrapp55
Originally Posted by tlk
folks off the base would get transferred and drive out into the country and let their dogs out

These are the real POS, not what was mentioned earlier.

Yes Sir.

Have dogs dumped on our FM road several times a year. So sad to see them looking at each passing vehicle and sometimes chasing after one they think is their previous owners (aka POS).

What do people think is going to happen to them? They will just be adopted? In reality, they end up getting hit by vehicles, shot at, starved, or if fortunate...someone will take them into town to the animal shelter...where most likely they will be put down after some period of time.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7629051 10/10/19 12:58 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
used to happen to us all the time in our previous house that was a couple miles outside of town. Even though I am an avid outdoorsman and hunter, I still have a very soft spot in my heart for all living creatures ...

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7629094 10/10/19 01:38 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Something a lot of folks don't know about guard animals is that they are normally are trained to protect one or two types of animal. Usually it is sheep and goats but it could be chickens. I bought a GP a few years ago to protect my Ibex. He was used to protecting grown animals. The first kid they had was different so he killed it. He is no longer with us. Same with a donkey we had with the sheep. When the started lambing she would kill the lambs. GP's have a bad reputation on wandering especial;;y if they are not fixed.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7629122 10/10/19 02:22 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
We get a lot of dogs dumped on our FM road. I have yet to have a single one bother our horses or our neighbors cows or calves. My horses are also [censored] though and will straight up kill an unfamiliar dog if they get in the way. We did have an aggressive pit show up that came after my wife. It was dealt with.

I have watched my neighbors donkeys kill about 8 calves and run a heifer to death on the hottest day of the year. But the neighbor is more concerned with shooting stray dogs rolleyes

Most of the dumped dogs I see stay up at the road...a few come back to the house. Also - for whatever reason - if a dog within a mile radius gets out - it shows up to our house. We've returned probably 15-16 dogs to people who had lost them in the past 6 years that ended up at our house. For that reason - I will not shoot strays/lost dogs that aren't aggressive and not bothering livestock. Most of the ones I see are more concerned with eating cow turds or horse turds than they are bothering livestock. Then again - probably be a different story if we were in sheep or goat country.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7629921 10/11/19 03:02 PM
2000cbr929 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
My son in law Cowboys for a living. Recently one of his dogs was shot while they were catching strays for a man. A cow calf pair jumped the fence followed by one of his dogs followed by him. These dogs will turn that pair back toward their handler and ultimately the herd. he was about 50 yards behind hollering as usual giving her commands to "get ahead" when he heard the first shot followed by a second shot. The other landowner shot a collared dog that was also wearing a tracking collar. The Sheriff, and game warden were not at all sympathetic with the shooter. He is having to pay for all of the vet bills and time lost with the working dog down. She has 12 pins and a brace holding her shattered jaw in place. He would have faced serious penalties as bad as felony had the dog died.

After eating Payne's sausage I don't know if I can go back to the regular store bought stuff.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money" Tom T Hall
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: 2000cbr929] #7629963 10/11/19 03:47 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted by 2000cbr929
My son in law Cowboys for a living. Recently one of his dogs was shot while they were catching strays for a man. A cow calf pair jumped the fence followed by one of his dogs followed by him. These dogs will turn that pair back toward their handler and ultimately the herd. he was about 50 yards behind hollering as usual giving her commands to "get ahead" when he heard the first shot followed by a second shot. The other landowner shot a collared dog that was also wearing a tracking collar. The Sheriff, and game warden were not at all sympathetic with the shooter. He is having to pay for all of the vet bills and time lost with the working dog down. She has 12 pins and a brace holding her shattered jaw in place. He would have faced serious penalties as bad as felony had the dog died.

this is a good example of what can go wrong, the shooter should have got jail time, or community service working at an animal shelter

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: 2000cbr929] #7629982 10/11/19 04:21 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Since the dog was chasing livestock (even though that’s what it’s supposed to be doing) he actually had an Amber Guyger “mistake in fact” defense. Probably would have worked about as well for him as it did for her though.

But the fact is his land was being trespassed on - pure and simple. I guess that doesn’t mean much these days....
But if the dog had been called back and the LO contacted when the fence was crossed it wouldn’t have been shot. Which IMO is what should have happened.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: 2000cbr929] #7629989 10/11/19 04:31 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

I’ve punched and day worked most my younger life. Something is missing from this story. Plus GW wouldn’t be involved. Straight sheriff unless he shot over a fence.

Never met a rancher that didn’t know the difference between a working dog and stray. Also the landowner could see or hear the horse back hands.

But under these circumstances he legally meet all law requirements and has a solid defense if he wanted to protest it. Now it may infact happened as recorded and he didn’t challenge because he feels like the idiot he would have to be to actually do that .

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7630013 10/11/19 05:06 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
He said " landowner."

Lots of city folk move to the country, not all LO's are ranchers or farmers.
Many don't understand or don't care about the normal flow of things, how stuff works or moves a little different than they're used to.

Whatever happened to the if you kill it you eat it people.....

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: Rustler] #7630020 10/11/19 05:14 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Rustler
He said " landowner."

Lots of city folk move to the country, not all LO's are ranchers or farmers.
Many don't understand or don't care about the normal flow of things, how stuff works or moves a little different than they're used to.

Whatever happened to the if you kill it you eat it people.....

I see that hindsight, I just can’t phantom popping a dog while seeing or hearing cattle being gathered, especially gathered horseback, but sadly nothing is suprising any more

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7630025 10/11/19 05:17 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
There a lot of clowns out there.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7630032 10/11/19 05:20 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Some of our neighbors cattle got into our place a few years ago. We are absentee landowners but just so happened to be there at the time. He called before he entered our property and when he found out we were there he came by for a chat and a beer. Seems that ought to be the way it works.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7630033 10/11/19 05:22 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
And there's no shortage of feral or dumped dogs that 'pack up' and cause problems.

Knowing the difference seems difficult for some folks.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7630046 10/11/19 05:40 PM
2000cbr929 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I’ve punched and day worked most my younger life. Something is missing from this story. Plus GW wouldn’t be involved. Straight sheriff unless he shot over a fence

When the Sheriff showed up the game warden was with him and appeared to lead the entire incident. The dog and cattle and cowboy 20 yards off the fence. Highly likely the rounds could have crossed.

You say you've day worked then you would know the amount of noise cattle dogs and their handlers as well as the rest of the men on communicating back and forth make. There is no mistaking it. I know.... I still day work myself when called. I would not be happy if some trigger happy nit wit shot my Hangin Tree. My little piece of heaven is almost 1500 acres, and there isn't one instance of SSS regarding someone's dog from me or my family.

After eating Payne's sausage I don't know if I can go back to the regular store bought stuff.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7630060 10/11/19 06:08 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
The bottom line is - good, bad, or indifferent - if a dog’s owner keeps it where it’s supposed to be then there’s almost never an issue.

If a dog goes on the property of others - it’s at risk. And at least some of the responsibility for what happens in that case is on the owner. Most country people know and accept that. Some people seem to have a harder time with the concept.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: 2000cbr929] #7630079 10/11/19 06:34 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I’ve punched and day worked most my younger life. Something is missing from this story. Plus GW wouldn’t be involved. Straight sheriff unless he shot over a fence

When the Sheriff showed up the game warden was with him and appeared to lead the entire incident. The dog and cattle and cowboy 20 yards off the fence. Highly likely the rounds could have crossed.

You say you've day worked then you would know the amount of noise cattle dogs and their handlers as well as the rest of the men on communicating back and forth make. There is no mistaking it. I know.... I still day work myself when called. I would not be happy if some trigger happy nit wit shot my Hangin Tree. My little piece of heaven is almost 1500 acres, and there isn't one instance of SSS regarding someone's dog from me or my family.

Exactly, I’m truly not questioning you, my mind just don’t see is grasping to see how some one doesn’t put those together. It’s not quite, or subtle.

I’d be in jail if it was my dog, not based off it was shot , but based off the sure ignorance of everything else going on. Shots over the brow ain’t cool!!

But sadly more I ponder less surprised I really am.

That could of been a really bad situation

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: Hudbone] #7630083 10/11/19 06:35 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Hudbone
There a lot of clowns out there.

Easy roflmao

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7630085 10/11/19 06:35 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
The bottom line is - good, bad, or indifferent - if a dog’s owner keeps it where it’s supposed to be then there’s almost never an issue.

If a dog goes on the property of others - it’s at risk. And at least some of the responsibility for what happens in that case is on the owner. Most country people know and accept that. Some people seem to have a harder time with the concept.

Very similar things said all throughout this thread, always easier to find folks that would rather argue than agree.
Goes for any topic.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7630099 10/11/19 06:47 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/texas-cat-killing-veterinarian-loses-state-supreme-court-appeal

I agree with what you said keep your animals kept up. But I'm fairly certain it's illegal to shoot a domesticated animal.

Last edited by ducknbass; 10/11/19 07:38 PM.
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7630143 10/11/19 07:21 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I am glad I have a HF. If dogs, cattle, horses or people get in they didn't do it accidently.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7630176 10/11/19 07:58 PM
2000cbr929 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Ever seen what a pissed off bull can do to a high fence? It is a huge mess especially if he dies in it.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide