Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Pumping gas fact or fiction? #7628164 10/09/19 02:54 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Do you believe that cellphones, and leaving cars running while pumping gas can cause a fire? My dad hates that I leave my truck running while pumping gas.

Last edited by S.A. hunter; 10/09/19 02:56 PM.
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628167 10/09/19 02:56 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
Do you believe that cellphones, and leaving cars running can cause a fire? My dad hates that I leave my truck running while pumping gas.

cell phone, doubt it. car running, certainly possible. same with getting in and out of your car. I learned a lot handling jet fuel.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628169 10/09/19 02:57 PM
B
Big_Country01 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
I think the static electricity is the biggest hazard. I leave mine running while pumping all the time.

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628178 10/09/19 03:04 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Don't leave mine running.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628180 10/09/19 03:08 PM
MikeC Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Depends on the weather, if it's 110° outside I'm not turning the AC off so I leave it running !!!!

www.connerknives.net

In every old body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!

[Linked Image]
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628186 10/09/19 03:13 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Do you believe that cellphones, and leaving cars running while pumping gas can cause a fire?

You asked "can" it cause a fire. The answer is 100% yes! You increase your risk of fire with either one of those options while pumping gas. I don't handle my phone when pumping gas, but I am certainly guilty of leaving my truck running while pumping gas. Usually it's to get a few gallons and go, like a quick NASCAR pit stop. And speaking of NASCAR, they don't turn off their cars either.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628190 10/09/19 03:16 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Static electricity is the biggest concern. A cell phone doesn't have enough spark potential to it ignite the fumes from a gas pump. You would need a large vapor cloud for a combustion engine to suck it into the intake and start a runaway.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628192 10/09/19 03:17 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Yep, if it's hot the A/C is staying on.

Static is the definitely a big concern especially in the winter time. When people get in, and out of their cars, and wear multiple layers of clothing.

BigBob i remember a huge fire at Kelly Airforce base. It was cause by static electricity. I was baffled as a child, as to how static could cause such a huge fire. It burned up a C5 if I remember correctly.

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628193 10/09/19 03:18 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
During a volunteer firefighters training course, the instructor stated that is rare that a running vehicle starts a fire, but it can happen.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628194 10/09/19 03:19 PM
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Yep, if it's hot the A/C is staying on.

Static is the definitely a big concern especially in the winter time. When people get in, and out of their cars, and wear multiple layers of clothing.

BigBob i remember a huge fire at Kelly Airforce base. It was cause by static electricity. I was baffled as a child, as to how static could cause such a huge fire. It burned up a C5 if I remember correctly.

we always had a 3 way ground when refueling. iv'e seen jet fuel glow with static electricity. make you pucker up a bit.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628197 10/09/19 03:21 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
The last few times I have pumped gas I have seen people smoking cigarettes while they are hanging around the pumps.

I notice a lot of people who keep their vehicles running these days and chatting up on the cell phones.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628206 10/09/19 03:29 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I don't bc its illegal.
I do leave my diesel truck running though bc it's not as flammable.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628208 10/09/19 03:30 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I remember back to my childhood with full service gas stations. We would pull in, never turn off a car, and never had issue with fires.

I don't really have too much trouble with a car running. It does annoy me when folks are on their cells during fuel pumping, but more just because it shows they are likely a zombie and not SA...but that is a generalization as I know when I am on my cell I am still constantly surveying and watching.

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7628209 10/09/19 03:31 PM
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
I don't bc its illegal.
I do leave my diesel truck running though bc it's not as flammable.

and there is no possibility of spark from the ignition system.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628214 10/09/19 03:37 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Only time I leave it running to fuel up is if its HOT and the kiddos are in the back seat in their car seats. Kids sweat like hell in car seats with the a/c cranked most of the time.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628227 10/09/19 03:50 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
If the vehicle is running, cell phone used, or smoking it does improve the chances of an accident. It’s just playing the odds. You might get away with it a thousand times, but if you leave babies in back seat, in car seats, and it’s the time it happens? The excuses won’t ever matter. I have seen a car catch on fire at gas pump. If there had been babies in back seat, they could not have been gotten to. It was fully engulfed in seconds.
If you have reasons/excuses why you do it, you should plan better so you don’t have to even encounter the chance. Once you make the decision to do it, it may be the one in a million chance it happens, at that moment you will have given up your ability to control the situation. Why take that chance?

Proverbs 2
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628231 10/09/19 03:52 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I've watched a car burn at a gas pump and it's something I don't want to see again.
When a spark is all thats needed to light off fumes that can engulf a vehicle before you can get out of it isn't worth the risk.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628233 10/09/19 03:52 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
No I drive a diesel

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628239 10/09/19 03:55 PM
L
LarryCopper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I'm surprised by all the folks that leave their car/truck running. I've never even considered doing that. May have to start on those summer days.

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: Sniper.270] #7628250 10/09/19 04:03 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Sniper.270
If the vehicle is running, cell phone used, or smoking it does improve the chances of an accident. It’s just playing the odds. You might get away with it a thousand times, but if you leave babies in back seat, in car seats, and it’s the time it happens? The excuses won’t ever matter. I have seen a car catch on fire at gas pump. If there had been babies in back seat, they could not have been gotten to. It was fully engulfed in seconds.
If you have reasons/excuses why you do it, you should plan better so you don’t have to even encounter the chance. Once you make the decision to do it, it may be the one in a million chance it happens, at that moment you will have given up your ability to control the situation. Why take that chance?

Maybe we just shouldn’t drive or leave the house at all.

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: Sneaky] #7628255 10/09/19 04:08 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sneaky

Seriously? Wow! If that’s the best rational ya got, I would suggest you not. That is just plain silly.
How about just control the things you can, make the best decisions you can, and accept the things you can’t.

I hope the 20,000 post before that one were not as goofy as 20,001.

Proverbs 2
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: Sniper.270] #7628259 10/09/19 04:15 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Seriously? Wow! If that’s the best rational ya got, I would suggest you not. That is just plain silly.
How about just control the things you can, make the best decisions you can, and accept the things you can’t.

Seriously, waking up every day is a life and death choice. I guess to be truly safe, I would have to wake up and unbuckle two toddlers and get my wife to stand at a safe distance while I turn the car off and fill it up. How long has it been since you had a kid or have you ever had one?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: Sniper.270] #7628260 10/09/19 04:16 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

Happy 20,001, Sneaky! I thought it was a good post. clap

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: Sniper.270] #7628268 10/09/19 04:20 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

The likelihood of a running engine causing a fuel pump fire is very very miniscule. The only way for a running engine to cause a fire would be heat from the engine (which is not much cooler once shut off) and having liquid hydrocarbon come into with the hot engine. The other way would be from it sucking vapor into the intake and causing a backfire which would then ignite a vapor cloud. Vapor cloud. Not fumes from the pump but a large volume of hydrocarbon vapor.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: TexFlip] #7628270 10/09/19 04:21 PM
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by TexFlip

The likelihood of a running engine causing a fuel pump fire is very very miniscule. The only way for a running engine to cause a fire would be heat from the engine (which is not much cooler once shut off) and having liquid hydrocarbon come into with the hot engine. The other way would be from it sucking vapor into the intake and causing a backfire which would then ignite a vapor cloud. Vapor cloud. Not fumes from the pump but a large volume of hydrocarbon vapor.

I gap in the insulation on the plug wires could too.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide