Forums46
Topics537,994
Posts9,731,545
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 36 of 44 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 43 44
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7612117 09/21/19 03:50 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Not too unusual, but really cool.
I came upon this old cover that had a feed trough and a well. There were remnants of an old house here and there too. I spoke to the old rancher and he said he was surprised that it was still there. He had found it when he was a kid back in the '50s. He believed that it was from the original homestead from many years before then.
[Linked Image]

I asked him about the old trough that had collapsed and he said that it has been that way since he was there as a kid. He let me have the wood, I promised him I would make something cool from it.
[Linked Image]

After months of gluing together more cracks and splits than I could have ever guessed, the old trough gets another life, hopefully another 100 years.
[Linked Image]

I used almost every piece. All that remained of the scraps could fit in a shoe box. The old rancher was elated when I showed it to him.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7612845 09/22/19 11:20 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
That’s a really cool and nice looking table, well played. cheers

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7613321 09/22/19 11:14 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

Very nice!

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7613733 09/23/19 02:12 PM
K
Ktexas14 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
K
That is some seriously cool woodworking man.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7613794 09/23/19 03:19 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7614413 09/24/19 01:41 AM
C
chigh_six9 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

found this while digging in trenton, tx to extend a gas main. wasnt sure if it was part of a working gun at one point or a old toy gun or something. either way thought it was pretty cool considering it was found about 30" deep also found this in burkburnett, tx
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by chigh_six9; 09/24/19 01:45 AM.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7614433 09/24/19 02:11 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I did find a dead guy on the side of the road on my way to check traps one morning at first light. I thought he was possibly drunk so I backed up and got out of the truck and kicked him lightly on the elbow but he was stiff. 4 bullet holes in the stomach with his sweatshirt pulled up to reveal them and one dead center in his throat. He had a bad night.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #7614443 09/24/19 02:24 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
I did find a dead guy on the side of the road on my way to check traps one morning at first light. I thought he was possibly drunk so I backed up and got out of the truck and kicked him lightly on the elbow but he was stiff. 4 bullet holes in the stomach with his sweatshirt pulled up to reveal them and one dead center in his throat. He had a bad night.

Well that'll put a kink in your day for sure!

Very cool table Simple Searcher! up

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7622607 10/03/19 11:32 AM
HuntingTexas Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
ttt

" In God We Trust "

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Simple Searcher] #7623286 10/03/19 11:13 PM
G
greenen Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
Not too unusual, but really cool.
I came upon this old cover that had a feed trough and a well. There were remnants of an old house here and there too. I spoke to the old rancher and he said he was surprised that it was still there. He had found it when he was a kid back in the '50s. He believed that it was from the original homestead from many years before then.
[Linked Image]

I asked him about the old trough that had collapsed and he said that it has been that way since he was there as a kid. He let me have the wood, I promised him I would make something cool from it.
[Linked Image]

After months of gluing together more cracks and splits than I could have ever guessed, the old trough gets another life, hopefully another 100 years.
[Linked Image]

I used almost every piece. All that remained of the scraps could fit in a shoe box. The old rancher was elated when I showed it to him.

[Linked Image]

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7623288 10/03/19 11:14 PM
G
greenen Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
G
Heart pine. Made 15 years ago. Need to sand and refinish the top.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7624193 10/05/19 12:38 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
[Linked Image]

" In God We Trust "

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7625365 10/06/19 07:02 PM
K
Kevin Heath Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Haven't been on THF in a long while 1st place I came was this thread, glad to see it is still alive!

Some days you're the pigeon, other days you are the statue!
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7625375 10/06/19 07:07 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Welcome back sir

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Bullfrog] #7625605 10/06/19 11:06 PM
K
Kevin Heath Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
grin

Some days you're the pigeon, other days you are the statue!
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: HuntingTexas] #7627843 10/09/19 02:40 AM
T
Texas Fight Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted by HuntingTexas
[Linked Image]

Winner

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7636078 10/18/19 05:12 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
bump

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7636097 10/18/19 05:48 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Son of a Blitch
We need to bring this thread back...one of my favorites here!

found this little guy when moving s feeder...this was directly underneath it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That's a great find George!

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7637175 10/20/19 04:47 PM
B
Brian C. Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Father found a Marijuana grow once while bow hunting. Many moons ago but he got help the DEA pull them. Pretty cool story.

God Bless Texas!!! Godspeed our Military!
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7658171 11/11/19 02:41 AM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
I’ve seen a few things in the years I’ve been hunting. One time I heard a ffffff sound getting louder and louder. The sound wind makes through the trees. But it wasn’t windy. It turned out to be what I have thought all these years to be a golden eagle, but it could have just as well been a red-tailed hawk zeroing in on my hand because I had just removed my nomex glove to eat lunch under a juniper. We were both just as surprised that day many years ago.

I haven’t really seen or heard anything that rises to some of these stories which is why I never added anything to this thread. Today just changed that.

By sheer chance I came upon a Texas legend; famous or infamous is your decision. THF, please meet Mr. Barker, the man I just happened to meet way in the backwoods of the SHNF while I was eating my lunch. Mind you, this is pretty deep and no one else within miles of us as far as I knew. Then up drives this silver haired gentleman who rolls down his window to ask me how I was doing; did I see anything? What was I shooting, etc.

I’ve met a few eccentrics in my life. They always have a really tall tale or two about their exploits. Sometimes they seem to stammer on a thought from the years that time made cloudy – but not Mr. Barker. He seemed to remember things and retold me, a complete and total stranger, with clarity sharp as a tack. So yeah, let me take you through a couple of these.

#1 – I built a jet pack that was better than anything else out there. He asked me if I ever watched the movie “Thunderball”. Well, who hasn’t? And aside of the Bond girls, the one other thing of note is the jet pack flown by stuntman Bill Suitor. Yep – Mr. Barker hired the legendary Mr. Suitor to fly his jet pack.
#2 – He told me of Karate fights that turned into hammer fights. Yes, we’re talking real hammers bashing heads over the jetpack. And a missing finger too.
#3 – He told me of how he was kidnapped (yes, over the jetpack), handcuffed, and stuffed into a coffin for 8 days until he divulged the location of the now missing jet pack. Holes were drilled into the coffin to let water in to drown him. On the last day he broke the handcuffs and escaped. He showed me the scar he got on his right wrist from the handcuff.
#4 – He told me how he was arrested and charged for murder. How the (then) Harris County DA Tommy Thomas couldn’t find a charge and had to let him go.
#5 – How he got into a verbal argument with the (I don’t remember the name) Judge and was thrown into jail for contempt, until the judge accepted defeat and let him out after 6 months in the county jail.

There were a few others, but these were the top 5 where the BS flag is higher than the garrison Flag at Ft. Rucker. All these were in a timespan of an hour, again, to a complete stranger. Any one of these whoppers stand on their own. Except for one thing that I learned when I got home and googled his name. They are apparently true.

But that’s not the end of my story. Let me continue. Mr. Brad Barker came to the forest today to find a plant. You know, those plants that have the nice purple berries this time of year. He goal was going to continue down the dirt road but I warned him about getting stuck. The maps don’t mean crap – there were deadfalls that weren’t cleared and I asked him to be careful. Twice I asked him to honk his horn of he got stuck. He told me he’d be careful and off he went, as I did too for the afternoon hunt.
I wasn’t far from my truck. And I didn’t notice him come back through either, even though I wasn’t really paying much attention to the dirt road. I decided to knock off a little early and went back to my truck to call it a day.
Only one set of tire tracks.
So, I put away my tree climber and set off down the road still hunting as I went. His truck was a half mile down the road. Stuck. And Brad was nowhere around.

I thought darn it, that 75 year old man is walking out of here alone. So, I hit the road expecting to see him somewhere down the 2 mile stretch of dirt to the paved road. When I got there, I turned right to come home and thinking maybe I’ll see him in the next mile. Nope; no where to be seen. I guess he got picked up or he found a leaving hunter that gave him a ride.

Another two miles I see a gray haired man walking down the side of the road. You guessed it, Brad Barker was hoofing it out with only 10 more miles to walk. I fully believe that ornery old man would make it on sheer determination, but I stopped and picked him up and took him to a relative’s house.
And that’s when it got fun. When I got home, even before I took my shower, I had to google this man’s name. What I read wasn’t things of fiction. All the things he said apparently are true. There was even a movie made after him. A book was written about this jet pack and the misery that surrounds it.

My takeaways from meeting Brad Barker.
He aint no liar. And he didn’t stretch the truth. I think he might have even held back.
His handshake is like gripping a chunk of iron. Even in his 70’s, it’s a good idea to smile around him.
He’s as sharp as it comes and he has a commanding disposition. One of my favorite quotes from my reading tonight from “Cracked”, “Brad Barker, whose personality by all accounts could be best described as "Joe Pesci in Goodfellas, only moreso."
His jet pack did fly. Once.
He specifically told me he hated the name “Pretty Bird” that the jet pack was named.

Here’s some links around the story of Pretty Bird. I’ll leave these to you to read.
https://www.cracked.com/blog/the-incredible-stupid-gruesome-story-first-jet-pack/
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/jetpack-murder
https://knowledgenuts.com/2014/03/16/the-murderous-mystery-of-the-disappearing-jet-pack/

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7658571 11/11/19 04:46 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
that's wild

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7659173 11/12/19 02:36 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Great story decook. Thanks for posting it.

" In God We Trust "

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7659268 11/12/19 04:16 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Heck of story decook. That was fun to read

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Simple Searcher] #7659330 11/12/19 11:50 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
Heck of story decook. That was fun to read

up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7659450 11/12/19 02:29 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Someone else’s deer (neigbor). Hunting a pasture solo during the rut, stalking/rattling. Walked down fence line. Saw blood, followed tracks and trail. Deer was gut shot and I guess they knew it. Tracks said they never crossed the fence to look for him and nobody called or texted. He went a long way.

Page 36 of 44 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 43 44
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide