Print Thread
Help Selecting Stud #7622085 10/02/19 08:50 PM
L
Leonardo Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Looking to breed my BLF and curious to see if any of these names would generate interest and overall what people might suggest. She is QA2, finished 2nd four trials in a row, we were wanting the win. Not small trials either entries of 39, 28,28, and 16. Currently she is on Dave Rorem's truck running some opens but we haven't had much success to this point. They love her but I am not sure I will continue her training after they get back to Texas from the summer trip. Her major weakness is staying balanced, work hard getting the blinds strong enough at the AA level and her marking falls off. She has a great off switch, raised in the house ect… Just a tough game to play. She loves to go big and excels in the water. Clearances have been done. Pedigree below.

https://huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=130024

NAFC "Croc" would be an easy choice since he is in the same camp, just not sure it would generate much interest.
FC-AFC "Clooney"
FC-AFC "Foxx"
FC-AFC "Mickey" I know Robby is on here and not to far from me, even though the dog will be south.

Most of all these dogs have offspring out there that are young. Would really prefer a live cover but I know most aren't open to that. Open to suggestions.

Re: Help Selecting Stud [Re: Leonardo] #7622236 10/02/19 10:50 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by Leonardo
Looking to breed my BLF and curious to see if any of these names would generate interest and overall what people might suggest. She is QA2, finished 2nd four trials in a row, we were wanting the win. Not small trials either entries of 39, 28,28, and 16. Currently she is on Dave Rorem's truck running some opens but we haven't had much success to this point. They love her but I am not sure I will continue her training after they get back to Texas from the summer trip. Her major weakness is staying balanced, work hard getting the blinds strong enough at the AA level and her marking falls off. She has a great off switch, raised in the house ect… Just a tough game to play. She loves to go big and excels in the water. Clearances have been done. Pedigree below.

https://huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=130024

NAFC "Croc" would be an easy choice since he is in the same camp, just not sure it would generate much interest.
FC-AFC "Clooney"
FC-AFC "Foxx"
FC-AFC "Mickey" I know Robby is on here and not to far from me, even though the dog will be south.

Most of all these dogs have offspring out there that are young. Would really prefer a live cover but I know most aren't open to that. Open to suggestions.

I'll do some more research but one on the top of my list that you don't have listed is Flexx.

Flex

Flex
Clooney
Robby's Mickey

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Help Selecting Stud [Re: BradyBuck] #7622365 10/03/19 12:57 AM
T
triggerbowtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Nice dog. I assume you want natural. And Mickey would potentially be a good choice. Your dog’s Dam is a Chopper bitch. Tubb crossed with Chopper lines has been proven. In fact, as you know, Mickey is a Tubb x Chopper bitch.

In a weird way I think I might like Tubb x Peace vs Mickey x Peace. But again, I assume you want natural and I don’t imagine Tubb is still doing natural? But maybe.

Croc and Clooney would both be good options. I have heard Clooney pairs best with high drive bitches. Not sure if that is your female?

I will keep researching a bit and see what else interests me

Last edited by triggerbowtx; 10/03/19 01:15 AM.
Re: Help Selecting Stud [Re: Leonardo] #7623040 10/03/19 06:27 PM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Appreciate the input. I prefer natural but I know its not always possible. Too much science in the others when you find mutts hung up in bar ditch. Lol.

Flex is nice but I left him off since he is on the east coast.

I would consider my bitch high drive and with Clooney on Brasseaux's truck now he should be in Louisiana when I need him.

Re: Help Selecting Stud [Re: Leonardo] #7623041 10/03/19 06:29 PM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
My main concern is there are a lot of nice pups out there. Seems the market has peaked in some areas, so I am hoping to draw some interest on a nice pairing or I will have to keep it cheap enough not to run off any buyers.

Re: Help Selecting Stud [Re: Leonardo] #7623429 10/04/19 01:24 AM
T
triggerbowtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
It definitely seems to be a busy market recently for FT/HT dogs. But the good litters (That are marketed well) are selling. Your dog is QA2 with a very likeable pedigree and you will be breeding to a nice stud. I think you could sell those all day. You might not get 3k but I bet you could get 2-2500.

Re: Help Selecting Stud [Re: triggerbowtx] #7623538 10/04/19 03:39 AM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by triggerbowtx
It definitely seems to be a busy market recently for FT/HT dogs. But the good litters (That are marketed well) are selling. Your dog is QA2 with a very likeable pedigree and you will be breeding to a nice stud. I think you could sell those all day. You might not get 3k but I bet you could get 2-2500.

That would the market I am hoping to reach!

Re: Help Selecting Stud [Re: Leonardo] #7624929 10/06/19 12:29 AM
B
Birdhunter61 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Actually I think I'm north of you in Valley View. , However I'm not going to do any natural breedings with Mickey from the last week of oct. until after the National Open.

Robby

Last edited by Birdhunter61; 10/06/19 12:33 AM.
Re: Help Selecting Stud [Re: Birdhunter61] #7625748 10/07/19 01:06 AM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Birdhunter61
Actually I think I'm north of you in Valley View. , However I'm not going to do any natural breedings with Mickey from the last week of oct. until after the National Open.

Robby

Yes. North and just a little east. About 30 minutes away is all. She isnt due in heat until the end of November, but the National could pose an issue if she comes in early.

Re: Help Selecting Stud [Re: Leonardo] #7627488 10/08/19 08:11 PM
T
triggerbowtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Is your goal to sell puppies to competitive FT homes? Or maybe also HT homes? Or do you just want them to go to good homes?

Re: Help Selecting Stud [Re: triggerbowtx] #7628434 10/09/19 06:47 PM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Is your goal to sell puppies to competitive FT homes? Or maybe also HT homes? Or do you just want them to go to good homes?

That is a loaded question. Good homes is the priority but I would prefer them to go to trial homes if possible. Reality is that's not possible for them to all find their way to. If a few go to each that is fine.

Re: Help Selecting Stud [Re: Leonardo] #7628438 10/09/19 06:49 PM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
As an update she is scheduled for TCI with Croc semen next week. She came in a month early which made things interesting because I didn't have everything lined out. Hopefully everything will go as planned and I will have pups on the groung mid December. Fantastic derby national birthday if anyone plays that game.

Re: Help Selecting Stud [Re: Leonardo] #7628554 10/09/19 09:16 PM
T
triggerbowtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T

That is a loaded question. Good homes is the priority but I would prefer them to go to trial homes if possible. Reality is that's not possible for them to all find their way to. If a few go to each that is fine.

Sorry didn’t mean for that to be as loaded of a question as it sounded. Obviously you want all good homes. My question stemmed from a perspective that it might change your stud choice if you thought your market would mostly
be hunting homes or something.

But with your dogs pedigree and QAA title I would think Trial and test homes should show plenty of interest.

Also...I love the Croc choice!

Re: Help Selecting Stud [Re: triggerbowtx] #7629139 10/10/19 02:48 PM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L

Sorry didn’t mean for that to be as loaded of a question as it sounded. Obviously you want all good homes. My question stemmed from a perspective that it might change your stud choice if you thought your market would mostly
be hunting homes or something.

But with your dogs pedigree and QAA title I would think Trial and test homes should show plenty of interest.

Also...I love the Croc choice!

No worries. The issue with breeding on the high end of the spectrum is placing dogs in competent field trial homes is absolutely the hardest thing to do. In the grand scheme of things you make a choice for the smallest market, trying to create the best product you can. Just a wild guess but I doubt there are 20,000 people in the US playing Field Trials & Hunt test. Meanwhile Texas sells an estimated 1.2 million hunting licenses alone.

Its honestly bad business but I love every minute of it. Hopefully all goes well.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide