Forums46
Topics536,988
Posts9,719,174
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7627252 10/08/19 03:50 PM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Originally Posted by MrMadMac
In Texas, it is not legal to shoot a dog unless the dog is attacking your livestock or is known to have attacked livestock.

Please cite this law, or provide a link to it. Thanks.

[Linked Image]
Shooting a dog is not worth a felony to me. I enjoy my gun rights.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: ChrisB] #7627261 10/08/19 04:07 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by ChrisB
In Texas, it is not legal to shoot a dog unless the dog is attacking your livestock or is known to have attacked livestock.

[Linked Image]

This exactly why I do my own research on laws. This is not a citation of the law, but a skewed perspective and interpretation from the view point of an animal rights activist. I'd be interested to know the publication this was cut from? In the context of the OP, these dogs could be shot, with a handful of defense to prosecution options.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: maximus_flavius] #7627269 10/08/19 04:14 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F

Only a POS would let his dogs loose & run on the neighbors place.

Those dogs could get after livestock, wildlife, yourself or even kids around the ranch.

Sorry, I don’t risk having a pack of wild dogs on my place.

In some Counties (to include mine) there are not 'leash laws' and especially in rural areas it is not uncommon for dogs to roam/stray a bit from their owners property. Typically, flock guarding dogs don't expand their territory but WILL patrol and mark what they perceive to be theirs. In either case...the occasional sighting of an obviously 'domestic' dog should not be of any concern to anyone based on it's presence alone.

Fortunately, the Laws concerning this are not predicated on what a dog 'COULD" do...but what a dog has or has not done.

As for the label "Wild Dog", well feral/wild dogs do exist...but in the case the OP cites it is clear the animals are cared for...in good health (not mangy like in his description) and not attacking anything. 'WILD' is not synonymous with unfamiliar to you.

As concerns dogs allegedly chasing wildlife, the laws protect only Livestock or Domesticated animals. You can not 'legally' shoot a dog that you think ruined your deer hunt. Each time this subject comes up (dogs on property) I am always shocked at the number of people so willing to callously shoot an obviously domesticated dog.

And yes, I am a landowner, I have livestock, I've had hunts interrupted, I've shot dogs that were actually attacking/harassing our cattle, multiple times a year we have Hog Dogs run through our property (uninvited) but I don't 'SSS' them.

So while I am not 'happy' to have dogs (other than my own) on my property, I am willing to accept that it is one of those infrequent inconveniences of living in the country and having neighbors. So unless...the dogs are actually causing harm (by lawful definition), I will not stoop to the barbarous act of summarily killing them on sight.

Last edited by flintknapper; 10/08/19 04:16 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7627286 10/08/19 04:39 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
There is a leash law in Bandera Co. I used to talk to neighbors if their dog was on my property. Did not do much good. Then I had some sheep get torn up by dogs. I knew whos dogs they were. I approached the neighbor and told him had happened and that if I caught his dog on my property again I would shoot it. He told me if I shot his dog he would kill every sheep I had. I had 3 Ibex killed by a neighbors dog. I followed the tracks in the mud to the neighbor. I gave him a bill for $6000. He did not pay me but got rid of the dogs. I had a pair of dogs on my place. I called the LEO. He came out and I went with him to the neighbors house where the dogs were in the yard. He told me that he could not do anything since the dogs were where they should be but if I saw them on my place that I knew what to do. Now I do not call or talk to anyone because I know what to do and do not have any repeat problems

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7627294 10/08/19 04:47 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I live in the country. My dog is in a fenced yard, is on a leash, in my sight and command, or I am actively looking for her to put her back under my control. If something happens to her when she slips away im not going to be happy but I will accept that as my fault. If your dog is on my property it needs to get off. If it happens repeatedly im going to fix it.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7627306 10/08/19 04:58 PM
M
MrMadMac Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
This exactly why I do my own research on laws. This is not a citation of the law, but a skewed perspective and interpretation from the view point of an animal rights activist. I'd be interested to know the publication this was cut from? In the context of the OP, these dogs could be shot, with a handful of defense to prosecution options.

Looking forward to seeing your citation of the law.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: redchevy] #7627307 10/08/19 04:59 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by redchevy
I live in the country. My dog is in a fenced yard, is on a leash, in my sight and command, or I am actively looking for her to put her back under my control. If something happens to her when she slips away im not going to be happy but I will accept that as my fault. If your dog is on my property it needs to get off. If it happens repeatedly im going to fix it.

Well said.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7627314 10/08/19 05:06 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
the sheriff in my county said he would do what I would do

my cattle grazer gives one verbal warning to any neighbors he knows ;
(dogs were chasing cattle for fun )

I agree with others on "only a POS would let his/her dogs loose".
I happened to know one, a drunk/meth head, crazy old hag across/over the county road

My friends have killed 3 dogs on my place ; they do quit coming

My neighbor, who has goats, said to shoot his dogs if I ever catch them
chasing livestock/fowl on my place. He said once they taste blood they won't stop

They should make a law requiring all dog owners to secure their dogs on their properties,
including rural counties

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7627315 10/08/19 05:07 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
We've had multiple packs of different dogs come through our property chasing our livestock.
I usually pepper them with bird shot.. I try to hit the ground around them and Chase them off the property in the mule.
And make scary faces at them to be sure they don't come back taz

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: cabosandinh] #7627322 10/08/19 05:14 PM
M
MrMadMac Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Originally Posted by cabosandinh
...They should make a law requiring all dog owners to secure their dogs on their properties,
including rural counties

§ 822.012. Certain Dogs and Coyotes Prohibited From Running at Large; Criminal Penalty
(a) The owner, keeper, or person in control of a dog or coyote that the owner, keeper, or person knows is accustomed to run, worry, or kill livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may not permit the dog or coyote to run at large.

(b) A person who violates this section commits an offense. An offense under this subsection is punishable by a fine of not more than $100.

(c) Each time a dog or coyote runs at large in violation of this section constitutes a separate offense.

CREDIT(S)

Added by Acts 1989, 71st Leg., ch. 678, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1989. Renumbered from V.T.C.A., Health & Safety Code § 822.011 and amended by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1002, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: MrMadMac] #7627349 10/08/19 05:42 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Looking forward to seeing your citation of the law.

I don't have to, because I don't tell people what the law is. I read the penal code, not citations from strangers on forums that pull bits and pieces.

Have a nice day.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7627371 10/08/19 06:02 PM
M
MrMadMac Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
...Please cite this law, or provide a link to it.

...I read the penal code, not citations from strangers on forums that pull bits and pieces.

You asked me, Sir, a stranger to cite the law, which I did as a favor to you. Now you have a good day.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7627402 10/08/19 06:30 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If a person wants to keep a dog or dogs, they would be well advised to keep it or them on their place. I have explained that to a country neighbor or two.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7627462 10/08/19 07:40 PM
B
Black02z28 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Seems to me if those dogs where worth a crap guarding their flock they wouldn't be on this dudes game camera "bouncing feeder to feeder" as he said. SSS

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7627468 10/08/19 07:49 PM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ChrisB

[Linked Image]

Texas penal code 42.09. Seems pretty clear to me but since your so much smarter than everyone in the room. Please enlighten us.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: MrMadMac] #7627469 10/08/19 07:49 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
...Please cite this law, or provide a link to it.

...I read the penal code, not citations from strangers on forums that pull bits and pieces.

You asked me, Sir, a stranger to cite the law, which I did as a favor to you. Now you have a good day.

To make a point. Unsolicited you stated it was against the law. It didn’t pass the smell test with me so I asked you to cite it. You originally had it incomplete and didn’t cite it from the penal code. My point is, I don’t take legal advice from strangers on forums, and neither should anyone else.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7627477 10/08/19 08:02 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
This has been argued a 1000 times

Laws pretty clear, state has to prove it wasn’t attacking your or livestock. Next question

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: Black02z28] #7627480 10/08/19 08:07 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by Black02z28
Seems to me if those dogs where worth a crap guarding their flock they wouldn't be on this dudes game camera "bouncing feeder to feeder" as he said. SSS

Have you ever owned one of these dogs, or any stock at all? I don't know that this is the case here but ours would leave the flock all the time in order to patrol pastures and check for scent. One morning we got a call from one neighbor to come get one of ours. Turns out he saw her trailing a coyote in his place and called her off and then called us. I'm not surprised to see one at a feeder and I'm willing to bet there are pics on that camera of predators at one time or another. They don't necessarily know that a fence means stop, especially when trailing predators. IMO there's a bit of a difference between this type of dog and just some townies out for a romp.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7627482 10/08/19 08:07 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
This has been argued a 1000 times

Laws pretty clear, state has to prove it wasn’t attacking your or livestock. Next question

And find the dog, then prove you were the one who shot it.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: don k] #7627487 10/08/19 08:10 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by don k
There is a leash law in Bandera Co. I used to talk to neighbors if their dog was on my property. Did not do much good. Then I had some sheep get torn up by dogs. I knew whos dogs they were. I approached the neighbor and told him had happened and that if I caught his dog on my property again I would shoot it. He told me if I shot his dog he would kill every sheep I had. I had 3 Ibex killed by a neighbors dog. I followed the tracks in the mud to the neighbor. I gave him a bill for $6000. He did not pay me but got rid of the dogs. I had a pair of dogs on my place. I called the LEO. He came out and I went with him to the neighbors house where the dogs were in the yard. He told me that he could not do anything since the dogs were where they should be but if I saw them on my place that I knew what to do.

^^^^^

Everything presented above was right and reasonable. You are well within the law (and your rights) to protect your livestock and/or domestic animals from dogs/coyotes that ARE committing an attack, are ABOUT TO commit an attack or HAVE RECENTLY committed an attack. Any dog with a known history of doing any of the aforementioned things should be dispatched...if it were to return.

Thank you for at least trying to contact the owners. They may not have been aware of the situation and you gave them an opportunity to correct the issue. If they choose not to...then they should expect to lose the animal.

I have no quarrel with folks protecting their property, family, livestock, livelihood. I just can't support and don't understand a 'shoot all unfamiliar dogs on sight' policy. In many cases it is illegal, in some cases probably immoral. But some long standing 'Country Customs' die hard (no pun intended).

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7627512 10/08/19 08:46 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Packs of wild dogs and the dogs so pictured are two different things. I can remember when the subdivisions started moving in and Klappenbach kept getting hunts disturbed by dogs from the subdivision. Ol' man Elmo, the land owner, told him to shoot the dogs and let them lay. One afternoon, Klappenbach saw a red border collie cross the ridge and shot him dead. Note to self and everyone else - never, ever shoot a border collie on a sheep ranch. Elmo's son Elroy was checking water over the ridge and his favorite dog went a lil' exploring.

Let's just say that didn't work out real well for Klappenbach.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: Hudbone] #7627540 10/08/19 09:13 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Packs of wild dogs and the dogs so pictured are two different things. I can remember when the subdivisions started moving in and Klappenbach kept getting hunts disturbed by dogs from the subdivision. Ol' man Elmo, the land owner, told him to shoot the dogs and let them lay. One afternoon, Klappenbach saw a red border collie cross the ridge and shot him dead. Note to self and everyone else - never, ever shoot a border collie on a sheep ranch. Elmo's son Elroy was checking water over the ridge and his favorite dog went a lil' exploring.

He killed Lassie! eeks333

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: jeffbird] #7627547 10/08/19 09:18 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Originally Posted by Hudbone

He killed Lassie! eeks333

Haha....!

I think Lassie was a Rough Collie, not a Border Collie...but yeah, that wouldn't be good.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7627558 10/08/19 09:27 PM
K
kman Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
K
Definitely not strays

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7627563 10/08/19 09:30 PM
B
Black02z28 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Have you ever owned one of these dogs, or any stock at all? .

My financial advisor tells me that I have a pretty diversified portfolio :p. As far as livestock yes, we own livestock as well. I will concede that I know nothing about this breed a dog nor anything about goat or sheep farming. I do have a problem with people not controlling their dogs due to experiences with pos neighbors and pos hog doggers.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide