Forums46
Topics537,769
Posts9,728,964
Members87,039
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7626749 10/07/19 11:52 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Agree what the great pyrenees job is but there are no goats around the feeder.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7626759 10/08/19 12:16 AM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
It would seem if there were goats around with the dogs, they'd jump in the pen with the feeder

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: 603Country] #7626772 10/08/19 12:31 AM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by 603Country
A few years back, I had a 4 dog pack come after me. On my own place and deep in the woods. Ears laid back and growling like they wanted blood. I did fear for my safety. I had 3 bullets in the rifle. The 4th dog disengaged, thank goodness. Shooting the first one did not convince them to leave. They kept coming. I shook for a while till I calmed down.

Shooting or not shooting, for me, depends on the situation. Some time later there were two hog dogs in my yard, with hog. I shot the hog from between them and let the dogs live.

Good reason to carry a pistol at all times. Could be dogs, hogs, meth heads, etc.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7626777 10/08/19 12:40 AM
E
elvisp_bucks Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
E
Thanks everyone for the insight. My best friend owns the ranch and we don’t know of any goats nearby. Plenty of cows but no goats

Jason
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7626797 10/08/19 01:02 AM
M
MrMadMac Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
In Texas, it is not legal to shoot a dog unless the dog is attacking your livestock or is known to have attacked livestock.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7626824 10/08/19 01:24 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
If you start asking around, hope the dogs do not end up dead, or at least do no shoot them. The finger will be pointed at you.
Some times it is best to just handle things as they should be handled in the country, keep it between you and nature.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7626852 10/08/19 01:51 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Guard dogs for sure and I am guessing the two without collars are pups raised with the livestock to bond with them even more. Seen some in the lower Panhandle in January on a ranch next to one I was hunting on.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7626872 10/08/19 02:11 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Kind of hard to be guarding if you are not there guarding it.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7626882 10/08/19 02:18 AM
O
oldrancher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
Our guard dogs are necessary to stay in the sheep and goat business. And it is a business. If we lose 20 to 30 head a night at $200 a head to coyote or outside dogs, we have lost money that is difficult to recoup. Dogs will kill and maim as many as they can because it's sport to them. Coyotes will only kill one or two for food. But coyotes will come back every night. We also raise registered show sheep that are worth thousands of dollars per head. The guard dogs are the only method we have found that protects the herds. Our dogs are fed daily with feeders that are on timers. They get wormed and have vaccinations on a regular basis. They are touchable but are not pets. They do their job of protecting their flock. Our neighbors also have guard dogs and when you listen at night, our dogs will go to assist on a threat. Theirs will also come over to our ranch when our dogs tune up. They work together. The guard dogs will stay in the flock or within 200 yards on the perimeter of the flock. When the sheep or goats split into different groups while grazing, one dog will go with one group and another will go with another group. I have seen them leave the flock and get a drink at the neighbor's water trough because it is closer then the water source in their pasture. I have seen them as far away as 1/4 mile away but they were peeing on the fence posts to mark their territory.
Now if they trespass to another land owners property and are not welcome, then they will have to suffer the consequences. Guard dogs do what guard dogs do, They look for threats and fences do not mean much to them.

When a business owner in a city has a thief that comes into his business each night and steals inventory or money, they can call the police. We on the other cannot call the police. We have to take care of the problem ourselves. The guard dogs are our police.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7626911 10/08/19 02:42 AM
T
tophorsecop Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Neighbors 3 GP.s had taken to laying up in my hay patch...had a better view of the area, I guess...neighbors have no goats, sheep or any stock...other than the GP's... My lab...She's 11 years old, she and I were working on multiples and the 3 white monsters chased my lab back to my house...in front of me...then walked back to the hill and lay back down...I confronted the neighbors about the dogs...and was told they would come back home after dark...3 shots of #8's sent them home and they are now in a fenced yard...but only after the Williamson County Deputy and I visited regarding shots fired at the dogs...sorry, my place is my place...I don't let my neighbors stock graze my hay and I don't let stray dogs feel welcome...

"Guns don't kill people, Guns kill dinner!"
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: MrMadMac] #7626922 10/08/19 02:49 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by MrMadMac
In Texas, it is not legal to shoot a dog unless the dog is attacking your livestock or is known to have attacked livestock.

SSS

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: 5Redman8] #7626941 10/08/19 03:09 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by 5Redman8
Seems like they would be easy to trap in a hog trap.

Shooting a dog is a very sh tty thing to do.

They are not making a conscious decision to F up your hunting.....they are either protecting their livestock or trying to survive.

Only a POS would solve this by shooting them.

Only a POS would let his dogs loose & run on the neighbors place.

Those dogs could get after livestock, wildlife, yourself or even kids around the ranch.

Sorry, I don’t risk having a pack of wild dogs on my place.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7626968 10/08/19 03:57 AM
L
Lakhota Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
L
We have them on our lease and they stay with the flock, they are feed and taken care of. I know one has to be darted for the vet to give it shots as it will not come to humans even the ranch owner. They also do not wear collars.

A couple of years ago our land owner had a group that got real friendly with the hunters, one followed me every time I went out. I started checking my pack to see if the guys had put dog biscuits in it. Needless to say that group of dogs didn’t last.

It was either last year or the year before there were two dogs that showed up by the barn and ranch house. I caught them and put them in a cattle trailer. They had collars on and the owner came and got them and was real happy as he was from Midland and they had gotten out when he was visiting. The ranch owner told him that he needed to call him ASAP as this was a working ranch with sheep and they wouldn’t be around for long. The ranch owner has loss show sheep in the past to loose dogs and doesn’t stand them for long.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: scalebuster] #7627052 10/08/19 11:59 AM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by scalebuster
Those aren’t wild dogs. They probably belong to the rancher.

Yep, I agree. Or someone who is a neighbor and runs livestock of some kind.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: MrMadMac] #7627067 10/08/19 12:28 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Please cite this law, or provide a link to it. Thanks.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7627077 10/08/19 12:43 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
We ran 8-10 Pyrennes over a ~20yr period, none of them ever wore a collar. Two ventured off to neighbors places and didn't come home for obvious reasons. Unless they are disturbing other livestock or deer, or for some weird reason attack you, I would not shoot them.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7627081 10/08/19 12:47 PM
M
MrMadMac Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

Dogs May Be Killed that are a Danger to Other Animals

On the other hand: Overview of Texas Animal Cruelty

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: ntxtrapper] #7627087 10/08/19 12:51 PM
M
MrMadMac Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

SSS

Singlehanded Sailing Society ?

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: maximus_flavius] #7627110 10/08/19 01:19 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius

They are not making a conscious decision to F up your hunting.....they are either protecting their livestock or trying to survive.

Those dogs could get after livestock, wildlife, yourself or even kids around the ranch.

Exactly. Keep your freaking dogs penned up and don't let them roam. I killed my neighbor's mutt when it attacked my little boy. I don't tolerate dangerous animals or stupid neighbors.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7627121 10/08/19 01:35 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Talk about dogs, just got out of my tree stand, had my big 8 coming, he would be the biggest of my life if I can get him, just needed 10 more yards and he would be in the sweet spot for a shot with my longbow, then he stops...and bolts over the fence running and takes a few more with him. Here comes 2 worthless dogs with no collars running up the fence line and ended up under my stand, I had to holler at them but was tempted to shoot the one! That is irritating to say the least.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: MrMadMac] #7627124 10/08/19 01:41 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

Dogs May Be Killed that are a Danger to Other Animals

On the other hand: Overview of Texas Animal Cruelty

Did you intentionally leave out "about to attack" from your original statement of this law?

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #7627129 10/08/19 01:43 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
Talk about dogs, just got out of my tree stand, had my big 8 coming, he would be the biggest of my life if I can get him, just needed 10 more yards and he would be in the sweet spot for a shot with my longbow, then he stops...and bolts over the fence running and takes a few more with him. Here comes 2 worthless dogs with no collars running up the fence line and ended up under my stand, I had to holler at them but was tempted to shoot the one! That is irritating to say the least.

They were chasing wildlife. Should have been shot. Then find the owner & send them a bill. I hate loose dogs.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7627133 10/08/19 01:46 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
If you properly adhere to the acronym you don't have to worry about the law, it was designed that way up

They aren't the landowners. The landowner doesn't know of any on the neighbors. I would make a call around to the neighbors, we have found ours to be very good people in every way we know. If they aren't the neighbors they are too far from home no matter what they are. You know what to do.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7627139 10/08/19 01:52 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
So, if you think a sheep rancher were to see random dogs (ie: not his) on his place and keep from pulling out his .243, you've go another thing coming.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: maximus_flavius] #7627246 10/08/19 03:46 PM
H
HankTheTank Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius

x2

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide