Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed #7626515 10/07/19 08:09 PM
E
elvisp_bucks Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
E
I have a pack of 3 dogs bouncing from feeder to feeder on our deer lease. They look very mangy and don't have collars. 2 of them are huge!! Like 150 pounds. What would you guys do? We are seeing much less deer than normal...….

[Linked Image]

Jason
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7626517 10/07/19 08:11 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Shoot them

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: don k] #7626519 10/07/19 08:12 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by don k
Shoot them

+1.

It sucks that people can’t take of their animals, but you can’t let a group of big dogs run loose.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: maximus_flavius] #7626521 10/07/19 08:17 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Pyrenees.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7626522 10/07/19 08:17 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Those look like great pyrenees (spelling) any cattle or goat farmers near by?

If at all possible I'd reach out to a neighboring rancher. If not luck then yeah you may be forced to shoot em

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7626524 10/07/19 08:18 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I would check with your landowner first, send them the pics......those look like dogs they put out to run with sheep to protect them from coyotes.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7626532 10/07/19 08:29 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Since deer lease, check with lease manager.
Stray dogs are worse than coyotes because they aren't as smart as coyotes and can very rarely catch a deer, they just run them. Shooting strays isn't fun, but sometimes you gotta.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7626534 10/07/19 08:32 PM
O
oldrancher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
Don't shoot them. They are livestock guard dogs. We have them and they run with our sheep and goats. They are Pyrenees and Anatolian Shepards. Chances are the sheep and goats are close by. They are coyote killing machines. They will roam to mark their territory to keep predators on notice they are there and that area is not to be encroached on. They are expensive to replace. They don't normally bother the deer population because they live together with them.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7626539 10/07/19 08:35 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
If you haven't check with the land owner or "lease boss"

You don't want to go pizzin off your landowner or his neighbors, chances are he likes them more than you and your much more replaceable than a good relationship with neighbors.

Pending what the LO/representative says SSS.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7626549 10/07/19 08:40 PM
T
TKandMike Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Check with LO and if nothing then SSS

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7626550 10/07/19 08:40 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Those aren’t wild dogs. They probably belong to the rancher.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: scalebuster] #7626554 10/07/19 08:46 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted by scalebuster
Those aren’t wild dogs. They probably belong to the rancher.

Agreed. Not likely wild, just loose. My dad's Pyrenees sleeps all day and kills coyotes all night.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7626563 10/07/19 08:58 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Sheep/goat dogs!!! Make for a bad situation if you shoot them, and that’s coming from a pro SSS guy. This is one of those tolerance times

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: oldrancher] #7626568 10/07/19 09:04 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by oldrancher
Don't shoot them. They are livestock guard dogs. We have them and they run with our sheep and goats. They are Pyrenees and Anatolian Shepards. Chances are the sheep and goats are close by. They are coyote killing machines. They will roam to mark their territory to keep predators on notice they are there and that area is not to be encroached on. They are expensive to replace. They don't normally bother the deer population because they live together with them.

check with the LO and adjoining LOs ...

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7626569 10/07/19 09:04 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Just me,
it is fairly rare to see livestock guardian dogs without collars, usually only those trained to stay on a certain property or highly trained to remain with a certain herd/flock.
Sometimes their owners no longer need or want them or can no longer take care of them or dies and they get turned out to fend for themselves or die.
Abandoned / dumped with no human input / care when their own basic survival instincts take over feral LGD's can become a really big problem.

Check with LO first.
Do as LO says.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: Rustler] #7626572 10/07/19 09:07 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Rustler
Just me,
it is fairly rare to see livestock guardian dogs without collars, usually only those trained to stay on a certain property or highly trained to remain with a certain herd/flock.
Sometimes their owners no longer need or want them or can no longer take care of them or dies and they get turned out to fend for themselves or die.
Abandoned / dumped with no human input / care when their own basic survival instincts take over feral LGD's can become a really big problem.

Check with LO first.
Do as LO says.

Some ranches are anti collar, gets hung on stuff... in theory of course

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: oldrancher] #7626583 10/07/19 09:15 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by oldrancher

Those big dogs can catch Coyotes?

Another agree to hold off until you find out their status up

Last edited by Stub; 10/07/19 09:16 PM.

texas flag

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7626591 10/07/19 09:20 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
my son's FIL runs those dogs with his goats and they are coyote killing machines ... his FIL blue heeler went to check on the goats, the guard dogs did their job, no more blue heeler ...

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7626607 10/07/19 09:29 PM
5Redman8 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Seems like they would be easy to trap in a hog trap.

Shooting a dog is a very sh tty thing to do.

They are not making a conscious decision to F up your hunting.....they are either protecting their livestock or trying to survive.

Only a POS would solve this by shooting them.

AVOID.....Luna Canyon Outdoor Adventures Chacon NM Elk Hunting. Owner James Duran

https://www.huntnorthnm.com/

PM for details
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7626610 10/07/19 09:30 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Just me,

Check with LO first.
Do as LO says.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen one with a collar. Many ranchers don’t touch or acknowledge these dogs. They don’t want them coming up to the house and want them to stay wild. I know one goat rancher that had a couple with each herd. He didn’t even feed them.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: fadetoblack64] #7626634 10/07/19 09:53 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted by takewhatyoucan64
Pyrenees.

Don't shoot 'em. Neighbors dogs. Find out who has goats. The dogs will run the hell out of coyotes. We had the same issue with pyrenees. Found the neighbor that owned them. He keeps them close to the house now.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7626658 10/07/19 10:16 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I have had too many animals killed by dogs. Now I don't care if I know the dog. If I can get a shot at it I will. And All the neighbors know my policy.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: scalebuster] #7626682 10/07/19 10:37 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Just me,

Check with LO first.
Do as LO says.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen one with a collar. Many ranchers don’t touch or acknowledge these dogs. They don’t want them coming up to the house and want them to stay wild. I know one goat rancher that had a couple with each herd. He didn’t even feed them.

A case of differing experiences.
Most I've seen or know about are considered very valuable & treated that way, fed & checked for injury & health everyday, regular vet checks & vaccinations.
Many wear a tracking collar and or are microchipped. If the operation is of size many 'work' 12 to 24 hr shifts so fresh dogs are always in field and all injury & health needs can be taken care of.

Didn't mean to start an argument.
I think it is a good idea to check with the LO or rancher before blasting a farm/rural dog for being a dog & doing normal farm dog stuff.

Even farm dogs / LGD's deserve the most basic animal care, I won't comment further about anyone that denies basic care for any dog they own or are responsible for.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: Rustler] #7626698 10/07/19 11:01 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Just me,

Check with LO first.
Do as LO says.

A case of differing experiences.
Most I've seen or know about are considered very valuable & treated that way, fed & checked for injury & health everyday, regular vet checks & vaccinations.
Many wear a tracking collar and or are microchipped. If the operation is of size many 'work' 12 to 24 hr shifts so fresh dogs are always in field and all injury & health needs can be taken care of.

Didn't mean to start an argument.
I think it is a good idea to check with the LO or rancher before blasting a farm/rural dog for being a dog & doing normal farm dog stuff.

Even farm dogs / LGD's deserve the most basic animal care, I won't comment further about anyone that denies basic care for any dog they own or are responsible for.

No argument here. These dogs were on 100K plus ranch in west Texas and were mean as chit. Thousands of angora goats and sheep. I had a herd of goat come by a feeder one day when I was in a ground blind, two Pyrenees dogs were with this herd. One of them smelled me and walked up close to my blind and started growling. I hollered and waved and he ran off. If he’d have stuck his head in the canvas blind I’d have shot him. No way I’d have been able to get him off me, and that was back when I was a young tough guy.

Re: Pack of wild dogs hanging around deer feed [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7626740 10/07/19 11:37 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
A few years back, I had a 4 dog pack come after me. On my own place and deep in the woods. Ears laid back and growling like they wanted blood. I did fear for my safety. I had 3 bullets in the rifle. The 4th dog disengaged, thank goodness. Shooting the first one did not convince them to leave. They kept coming. I shook for a while till I calmed down.

Shooting or not shooting, for me, depends on the situation. Some time later there were two hog dogs in my yard, with hog. I shot the hog from between them and let the dogs live.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide