Print Thread
Ranch Liablity Insurance #7624347 10/05/19 04:53 AM
O
oldrancher Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
O
Grandkids are getting of the age where they want to bring friends out to the ranch to go hunting and fishing. We trust our grandkids with the use of guns but we feel uncomfortable not knowing the kids they want to bring out. What type of insurance do you carry on your ranch to protect yourself against accidents from outside parties. We want to give the kids the opportunity to have fun but we are also realists that bad things can happen and we could be held liable from their parents if anything happens. What are the costs? Do you have them sign a release from liability? If they are a minor and sign a release, is it even valid in a court of law? Companies that offer this type of insurance?

Re: Ranch Liablity Insurance [Re: oldrancher] #7624356 10/05/19 05:26 AM
J
jmh004 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
If I were you, I wouldn’t allow the grandkids the ability to bring friends out. Sounds like a field day for a lawyer if something was to happen. If they want to bring friends, make sure your there with them.

Re: Ranch Liablity Insurance [Re: oldrancher] #7624419 10/05/19 12:01 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I get my liability insurance through the farm bureau. Membership is $45 per year and the insurance is $250. I get it because I have a few hunters during the season and I have folks out looking at my Ibex.

Re: Ranch Liablity Insurance [Re: oldrancher] #7624428 10/05/19 12:19 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I just ordered the Agri-tourism warning sign from the Texas Wildlife Association yesterday. Make sure you have that at the gate. Check that law, especially regarding minors. A place is to be enjoyed, I get that.

Link>Agritourism Act

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Ranch Liablity Insurance [Re: oldrancher] #7624444 10/05/19 12:47 PM
D
DUKFVR Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
I have had liability insurance for hunting through the NRA and Bartlett,Baggett and Shands

Re: Ranch Liablity Insurance [Re: don k] #7624475 10/05/19 01:47 PM
O
oldrancher Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
O
Originally Posted by don k
I get my liability insurance through the farm bureau. Membership is $45 per year and the insurance is $250. I get it because I have a few hunters during the season and I have folks out looking at my Ibex.

I'll check with Farm Bureau Monday. I've been a member for about 50 years and they have all of our coverage on vehicles. I'll check with the others mentioned also.

Re: Ranch Liablity Insurance [Re: oldrancher] #7624479 10/05/19 01:52 PM
O
oldrancher Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
O
How much liability should one carry? 1 million, 2 million, 10 million? With the litigious society we live in, how much is enough? Our county trapper was telling me of a story where a kid had a 4 wheeler accident (hunters kid) and they sued and ended with half the ranch. Ranch had liability insurance. Insurance paid their part and the rancher was left with half a ranch.

Re: Ranch Liablity Insurance [Re: Creekrunner] #7624489 10/05/19 02:15 PM
O
oldrancher Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
O
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I just ordered the Agri-tourism warning sign from the Texas Wildlife Association yesterday. Make sure you have that at the gate. Check that law, especially regarding minors. A place is to be enjoyed, I get that.

Link>Agritourism Act

Thanks Creekrunner

I followed the link and there was some good info there. We are members of the Southwest Cattle Raiser Association and Farm Bureau so we will get our signs for each of the ranch gates. We attended the TSCRA meeting the other night in Gillespie County and they did mention the signs. I'll order them today.

I agree land is meant to be enjoyed. I grew up hunting and fishing on our ranches and enjoyed many invites to other kids ranches. I don't want to deny any kid the privilege and experience that are life time memories. Society has changed and it seems everyone thinks it's someone else's fault they were stupid.

Re: Ranch Liablity Insurance [Re: oldrancher] #7624503 10/05/19 02:29 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
I work in the insurance claims/litigation world and I can tell you recreational ranch accidents with friends, guests, family get very ugly and expensive. Not all insurance policies are alike especially if trying to obtain liability insurance for use of atv,utv. My best advise, never never never ever, let someone else operate your atv/utv and be aware of what instructions you give on use and safety. If a bad accident happens majority of the time you gonna get sued no matter what so having some type of insurance is better than nothing. Get the signs, post them up at entry gates and again a barn/storage area of any atv/utv or where activites may originate from.

I've seen lots of accidents, fatalities, brain damage, quad/para, amputations from just good time (not even reckless use) hunting, fishing or pleasure recreation on farms and ranches including full grown men and grandfathers.

Good luck

Re: Ranch Liablity Insurance [Re: Always ready 2 hunt] #7624586 10/05/19 05:02 PM
O
oldrancher Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
O
Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt
I work in the insurance claims/litigation world and I can tell you recreational ranch accidents with friends, guests, family get very ugly and expensive. Not all insurance policies are alike especially if trying to obtain liability insurance for use of atv,utv. My best advise, never never never ever, let someone else operate your atv/utv and be aware of what instructions you give on use and safety. If a bad accident happens majority of the time you gonna get sued no matter what so having some type of insurance is better than nothing. Get the signs, post them up at entry gates and again a barn/storage area of any atv/utv or where activites may originate from.

I've seen lots of accidents, fatalities, brain damage, quad/para, amputations from just good time (not even reckless use) hunting, fishing or pleasure recreation on farms and ranches including full grown men and grandfathers.

Good luck

Do you have an insurance carrier you would recommend? I would rather pay more and be covered then to pay less and only find out after the accident I'm not covered. Thank you for the above response.

Re: Ranch Liablity Insurance [Re: Always ready 2 hunt] #7624612 10/05/19 05:32 PM
O
oldrancher Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
O
Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt

Good luck

PM sent for more info.

Re: Ranch Liablity Insurance [Re: oldrancher] #7624647 10/05/19 06:06 PM
R
RPG1997 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
1 million won't hardly get you anywhere when you factor in attorney fees and medical bills. 2 million isn't really much different either. We carry 5 million and an outfitter friend of mine carries around that too. If I were you, I'd have them sign a waiver too. It really would be best if you could be out there with them because just letting your grandkids and their friends on the place sounds like a disaster in the making to me, but of course I understand you may not have any desire for something like that. One thing you should do is try to meet each one of them and have them sign (and their guardians if they are still minors) a waiver while also clearly establishing rules to not only them, but your grandkids as well. Station a few cameras around the place to make sure they're doing good by their end of the bargain. I believe we used Farm Bureau, but there are a plethora of options out there for liability insurance. Just be careful and make sure your policy covers everything you want/need covered. It may be worthwhile to consult an attorney for advice as well. This kind of stuff can get very ugly very fast and be very expensive so it is not something to take lightly at all.

Re: Ranch Liablity Insurance [Re: Creekrunner] #7624757 10/05/19 08:01 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

Link>Agritourism Act

Same here.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Ranch Liablity Insurance [Re: oldrancher] #7624997 10/06/19 02:26 AM
O
oldrancher Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
O
The hunters and guests have to sign a waiver that has been drawn up by our attorneys. The family guests is where I feel uncomfortable about. The spur of the moment on weekends when the grandkids call and want to bring out a friend or two to varmint hunt and spend the night. It's tough to tell them no when you want them to enjoy the ranch. We have rules and they follow them. The grandkids are responsible young adults but anything can happen. I will be making phone calls Monday to see what our options are.

Re: Ranch Liablity Insurance [Re: oldrancher] #7625050 10/06/19 03:12 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If they're grown, I'd have a man-to-man talk with them and explain that their inheritance could disappear in a flash if something goes seriously wrong.

If we weren't the only country in the civilized world that doesn't have loser pays all fees in a liability case, we'd be worlds ahead...but I digress.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Ranch Liablity Insurance [Re: Creekrunner] #7625123 10/06/19 11:09 AM
H
Huntmaster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Texas laws protect landowners. There is a cap on the damages anyone can get. I think it’s $1.5,but not sure. Law states if you carry the limit; they cannot get above. Remember, before they can get anything, you have to be negligent. You are also protected by law there, there is something to them only having the rights as a trespasser, which gives them very limited rights. Where you know there is a “gross negligence” type situation on your ranch, and you did not tell anyone about it, will get you in trouble. There are many Texas articles on the exact statute passed for Texas landowners. There is a guy in SA that writes a pretty good policy. Watch out for 4 wheeler coverage, guns or events charging money, above ground blinds, swimming, etc.

Re: Ranch Liablity Insurance [Re: oldrancher] #7625214 10/06/19 02:44 PM
O
oldrancher Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
O
Here is an example of what can happen. My grandson was varmint hunting with a group of friends 4 weeks ago on another ranch. He and a friend were sitting in a high seat on back of a Polaris. They went up a small incline and the high seat broke and dumped them backwards on the ground. Speed wasn't a factor. The bolts pulled out of the bed. No welds broke on the high seat but the mounting bolts pulled through the bed. He sustained a concussion and missed two football games before he was cleared to play. His friend was banged up pretty bad also and had black and blue head injuries. Just a normal night hunt like country kids do. It was just an unfortunate accident. The parents were glad the kids did not get hurt any worse then they did. No thought of sueing or payback for medical expenses by parents. BUT, this could have gone a way different direction if a different set of parents were involved.

Farms and ranches are littered with "gross negligence" everywhere. A person that lives on a ranch and works the land sees hazards everyday but by common sense avoids them or fixes them if he has time. Others see opportunities to get a payout due to their own negligence or stupidity. Those are the ones I worry about.

Re: Ranch Liablity Insurance [Re: oldrancher] #7625240 10/06/19 03:30 PM
D
deewayne2003 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I agree with you old rancher.... inherent risks are part of it ; people are what suck!

I have a buddy who’s family has had an awesome 1,400ac HF place for decades that’s now for sale; because his uncle brought the new girl friend and her son out, they were on a Polaris ranger and mom and son were thrown off the side in a fast turn, the kids dad filed suit against the ranch for “non proper training for all terrain vehicles”

They ended up winning but big legal fees; the attorney argued that the ranch should have provided a training course and safety equipment to all parties before providing them the Polaris..... apparently leaving the keys in it is providing.

So they dodged a bullet but the old man said enough after that and sold the place.

Re: Ranch Liablity Insurance [Re: oldrancher] #7625294 10/06/19 05:08 PM
O
oldrancher Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
O
That's a shame. Too many stories like that but it's not being publicized enough. I hope this thread is an eye opener for other land owners and makes them aware of what can happen and what they can do to protect themselves. The good old days are gone where you could invite friends and family and have an enjoyable, memorable day. Now I have become very selective of who has access to our ranches for obvious reasons.

If anyone else has stories about land owner lawsuits. Please post them. If some landowners still think they are immune to liability, hopefully these stories will save a future ranch from the two legged predators that we should fear worse then the four legged ones.

Re: Ranch Liablity Insurance [Re: oldrancher] #7625674 10/07/19 12:01 AM
R
Rounder Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Texas. I miss you.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide