Page 1 of 2 1 2
Giving deer meat away? #7623874 10/04/19 05:53 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I quarter all my deer after being shot and put in a cooler. I keep the tenderloins and backstraps usually and give the hams and shoulders away. Is the tag good enough for the person that takes the meat, or does it need a wildlife resource document.
From what I understand, I'm the final destination for the meat I keep, so I no longer need the tag, and the tag is good enough for the person that takes the rest as long as it remains with the meat.

This is from the outdoor annual

A person may give or receive any legally taken wildlife or aquatic resource, or part of the resource, that is required to be tagged or that is protected by a daily bag / possession limit if the resource is accompanied by a Wildlife Resource Document (WRD). A person may use the online WRD form or a handwritten document that includes the same required information.

For deer or pronghorn, a properly executed permit, tag or WRD must accompany the resource (or any part) until it reaches its final destination and is quartered.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Giving deer meat away? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7623876 10/04/19 05:59 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
If you are handing it to your next-door neighbor you might be okay, but if they are hauling it across town IMO you aren't the 'final destination'. I would give them a WRD and text them a picture of the tag.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Giving deer meat away? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7623877 10/04/19 05:59 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Pretty sure who ever you give deer meat to you need fill out a WRD to give them until they reach their final destination with that meat.

texas flag

Re: Giving deer meat away? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7623905 10/04/19 06:46 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I believe if they are going to transport it then they will need a WRD to be legal.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Giving deer meat away? [Re: redchevy] #7623911 10/04/19 06:52 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by redchevy
I believe if they are going to transport it then they will need a WRD to be legal.

Exactly the problem, everyone believes or thinks, but doesn't know.

What I have highlighted in red says a properly executed tag or wrd. But right above that it says a wrd is required. It literally contradicts itself.

Re: Giving deer meat away? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7623913 10/04/19 06:54 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
If you are handing it to your next-door neighbor you might be okay, but if they are hauling it across town IMO you aren't the 'final destination'. I would give them a WRD and text them a picture of the tag.

I am the final destination for the meat i keep. It's not going to a processor, etc. Usually the people I give it to don't take it to a processor either, so they're also their final destination, but they need the tag to travel to their house with the meat.

Re: Giving deer meat away? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7623937 10/04/19 07:19 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
When they resource leaves your possession a tag is no longer sufficient. That is the whole purpose behind a WRD.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Giving deer meat away? [Re: redchevy] #7623955 10/04/19 07:31 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
When they resource leaves your possession a tag is no longer sufficient. That is the whole purpose behind a WRD.

Where does it say that?

Re: Giving deer meat away? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7623958 10/04/19 07:35 PM
Q
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU

Where does it say that?

Pretty much in the paragraph you quoted in your first post. I'm not allowed to possess a deer with your tag unless I have the WRD, otherwise how do they know I didn't steal the tag and shoot the deer myself?

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Giving deer meat away? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7623959 10/04/19 07:36 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
I would not take change and just give them a WRD. What if you split meat to a couple different people you can't split the tag. And a photo of tag probably on a phone without WRD probably wont fly with game warden. It just take a minute to fill our a WRD or right a note with the info

Re: Giving deer meat away? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7623964 10/04/19 07:40 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Where does it say that?

Pretty much in the paragraph you quoted in your first post. I'm not allowed to possess a deer with your tag unless I have the WRD, otherwise how do they know I didn't steal the tag and shoot the deer myself?

If it is an MLD tag then it is the resource document or used to be.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Giving deer meat away? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7623979 10/04/19 07:55 PM
B
BassBuster1 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B
WRD if you give it away, the tag statement is if you keep the meat then your tag remains with the meat to the final destination. This is the way I understand the rule with all game animals including fish, if you give it away you need to write the note saying so.

Re: Giving deer meat away? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7624039 10/04/19 08:55 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Hunter Ed instructor manual Wild Life Resource Document " WRD" must be completed by the person who caught or killed a wildlife resource and kept with the wildlife

IF you are giving the wildlife to another person or receiving it from someone else

Re: Giving deer meat away? [Re: stxranchman] #7624083 10/04/19 10:01 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by stxranchman

Where does it say that?

If it is an MLD tag then it is the resource document or used to be.

Are you saying an MLD tag is a resource document?

These are MLD tags, sorry I didn't mention that in original post.

Re: Giving deer meat away? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7624092 10/04/19 10:15 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
The way I read the rule is this, and if someone sees a flaw in my thinking, tell me.

The manual says you need a WRD document if giving the meat away to someone.
Then right below that it says for Deer, that a tag or WRD must accompany the resource until final destination.

So since I clean the deer where I live, I am final destination since I don't take to processor, so i dont need the tag anymore.
And what I read says I can give the meat away with just the tag to Joe Bob and he can take it quartered to his house. Since they don't take it to the processor, it's at it's final destination, or the processor can also be the final destination.

And to whomever mentioned people splitting the meat, then yes, a WRD would be needed because you can't split a tag.

I read it clearly about it needing a WRD, but what I have in my initial post in Red completely contradicts that if you have the tag.

Re: Giving deer meat away? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7624241 10/05/19 01:51 AM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Im positive about my answer

"For deer or pronghorn, a properly executed permit, tag or WRD must accompany the resource (or any part) until it reaches its final destination and is quartered."

That means you keep the tag, a WRD goes with your friend. The "any part" of the quote is why this is clear.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Giving deer meat away? [Re: decook] #7624306 10/05/19 03:02 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by decook

"For deer or pronghorn, a properly executed permit, tag or WRD must accompany the resource (or any part) until it reaches its final destination and is quartered."

That means you keep the tag, a WRD goes with your friend. The "any part" of the quote is why this is clear.

Why would I keep the tag, I dont need it, I'm final destination and I travel nowhere with any meat

Re: Giving deer meat away? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7624339 10/05/19 04:16 AM
Q
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q

Why would I keep the tag, I dont need it, I'm final destination and I travel nowhere with any meat

Because the tag stays with you if you split the meat. Your friend gets one quarter and the WrD and goes home. You keep the tag with the meat until you process it. Once it’s in your freezer you no longer need the tag.

[Linked Image]

Re: Giving deer meat away? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7624375 10/05/19 07:31 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Because the tag stays with you if you split the meat. Your friend gets one quarter and the WrD and goes home. You keep the tag with the meat until you process it. Once it’s in your freezer you no longer need the tag.

Bingo. It must hit the freezer if you don't want any documentation. Fresh meat no matter what needs the doc's. You can freeze it in packages and give it away though. WRD can be written on a piece of paper though. Pretty simple to just write it out...

Re: Giving deer meat away? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7624480 10/05/19 01:56 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K

Do y'all not understand that I live where the deer are processed. I literally eat the tenderloin that night and freeze the backstrap, and I walk to my house from where the deer is quartered.

The people I give the meat too also don't take it to a processor, they take the quarters and do as they wish with it right there at their home, so I understand they need the tag or WRD to get it to their home, and the tag can then be thrown away after they cut all the meat up or whatever.

I understand that if we were splitting meat and I was driving somewhere that I'd keep the tag and they'd need a WRD since you can't split a tag.

If I take none of the meat, do they need a WRD?

It's this word or that is throwing this all off.

Re: Giving deer meat away? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7624490 10/05/19 02:16 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Why take any chances. Just write the person you are giving game to a note with the info required in a WRD document. Trust me it ain't worth the trouble, hassle, time and potential fine to test out your argument with a GW and Judge.
I think the person if stopped/checked would get more questions about the meat with just a tag with someone else's name on it than an incomplete note.

You can call me when you have one quartered in a cooler and I'll meet you at your house (final destination) with my own cooler and take it from you, if you'll let me hold your hunting license for 1 minute to write out aWRD note you can sign.

Re: Giving deer meat away? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7624513 10/05/19 02:52 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
The phrase that seems to be confusing you is illustrating the 3 'documents' that can be used to signify legal possession of deer/pronghorn game meat / wildlife resource.
Each of those has its time & place of proper use.

Your license and the tags have a document # on them that identifies who's licence the tag came from which matches your name address DOB & DL# on the license and in TPWD data base.
This plus your matching drivers license info is proof of legal possession.
When you are finished with your tag it is up to you to file away or destroy, the tag is yours and yours alone.
While your portion of the meat is at its final destination the given portion is not, a WRD is the only way to differentiate ownership of the various portions of the same deer.

Without a matching hunting licence and tag document # and DL, proof of legal possession is by WRD.

Since the identification of the person you gave the meat to will not match your hunting license document # or any of your identification the only legal way to transfer ownership of the meat is WRD.

Anytime you have a question about hunting/fishing rules & regs the simple way to get a 100% accurate answer is to utilize the TPWD web site ask a question feature.

Re: Giving deer meat away? [Re: Rustler] #7624544 10/05/19 04:09 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by Rustler
The phrase that seems to be confusing you is illustrating the 3 'documents' that can be used to signify legal possession of deer/pronghorn game meat / wildlife resource.
Each of those has its time & place of proper use.

Your license and the tags have a document # on them that identifies who's licence the tag came from which matches your name address DOB & DL# on the license and in TPWD data base.
This plus your matching drivers license info is proof of legal possession.
When you are finished with your tag it is up to you to file away or destroy, the tag is yours and yours alone.
While your portion of the meat is at its final destination the given portion is not, a WRD is the only way to differentiate ownership of the various portions of the same deer.

Without a matching hunting licence and tag document # and DL, proof of legal possession is by WRD.

Since the identification of the person you gave the meat to will not match your hunting license document # or any of your identification the only legal way to transfer ownership of the meat is WRD.

Anytime you have a question about hunting/fishing rules & regs the simple way to get a 100% accurate answer is to utilize the TPWD web site ask a question feature.

Finally, an answer that explains it. But this is an MLD tag, so there's a little bit of difference in the tag and record keeping.

I've used the TPWD page before, and it hasn't worked out in the past on getting questions answered. I wish we had a game warden on here to answer these type of questions.

Re: Giving deer meat away? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7624571 10/05/19 04:39 PM
D
Dink Dodger Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
Google "Game Warden in Harrison County" it will take you to TPW page that list all game wardens for your county with their phone numbers. Pick one and give them a call.

Re: Giving deer meat away? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7624592 10/05/19 05:05 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
An MLD tag is to be filled out to identify the name of the person that killed said animal & define ownership of the wildlife resource.
This is an example of one of the three ways to legally possess / claim ownership of a deer/pronghorn carcass pieces or parts in the phrase that seems to confuse you.
Maybe reading it as ' permit or tag or WRD ' would clear some head scratching.

For someone other than the person who's name is on the MLD tag to legally possess any portion requires some form of transfer of ownership or permission that takes place via the WRD.
This is so the animal can be traced back to the person that killed it & the property it came from / confirm the person in possession was given ownership or permission to possess any or all pieces & parts in their possession at the time of questioning by LEO.

I'm not trying to be rude or condescending, I though it was common knowledge that to legally possess all or pieces & parts of a deer/prohorn you had to have a tag or permit or WRD to accompany all or pieces or parts, prove the animal was taken legally and or declare ownership or grant permission to the person in possession until any and all peices & parts reach their final destination.

Explaining things is not my strong area. Hopefully I didn't further confuse the situation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide