Forums46
Topics537,992
Posts9,731,505
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: BradyBuck] #7620125 09/30/19 06:25 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by BradyBuck
I don't believe the Universities should be required to pay them but it's BS that a grown man can't make a dollar off his name all the while his jersey is flying off the shelves.

Coaches with multimillion dollar contracts and if a student athlete gets caught taking 10 bucks he gets suspended.

I would agree with that.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: CharlieCTx] #7620127 09/30/19 06:28 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
There are a lot of sides to this argument, none of which I can relate to. However, the thought of schools allowing students to make money off their likeness or for endorsements is going to be ripe with fraud and you will see some trickle down into HS sports eventually, in that the recruiting process will involve a lot of handshakes and autographs, and where will it end? How would that even look to HS sports, would HS programs need to hire compliance officers and make sure recruits are not taking money while on trips or such stupid stuff?

The trickle down effect from this is also easy to see in other sports. Football, basketball, and to a lesser extent baseball will be full of paid athletes while all the other sports will complain about unfair this and that and then it will open the door to each school just having to pay the athletes outright. Then everyone’s tuition goes up more and the whole system pays the penalty.

There’s a lot of bad that can come from this, looking at it from just the individual athlete standpoint is very limited view of the ramifications of this. Just my 2cents

Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: CharlieCTx] #7620128 09/30/19 06:29 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
It's going to be interesting to see how it's handled with the sports that rely on the football/basketball programs for their money just to have a team at that school. Also for the smaller schools who rely that paycheck from the big boys which funds their entire year.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: Texas buckeye] #7620133 09/30/19 06:34 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
There are a lot of sides to this argument, none of which I can relate to. However, the thought of schools allowing students to make money off their likeness or for endorsements is going to be ripe with fraud and you will see some trickle down into HS sports eventually, in that the recruiting process will involve a lot of handshakes and autographs, and where will it end? How would that even look to HS sports, would HS programs need to hire compliance officers and make sure recruits are not taking money while on trips or such stupid stuff?

The trickle down effect from this is also easy to see in other sports. Football, basketball, and to a lesser extent baseball will be full of paid athletes while all the other sports will complain about unfair this and that and then it will open the door to each school just having to pay the athletes outright. Then everyone’s tuition goes up more and the whole system pays the penalty.

There’s a lot of bad that can come from this, looking at it from just the individual athlete standpoint is very limited view of the ramifications of this. Just my 2cents

It's already happening. Just put a system in place that has clear rules and can be regulated as much as possible. Will there be people try to get around it? Sure, just like they do now.

One other idea I heard recently was to just do an equal across the board stipend paid for by the NCAA out of the TV contracts.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: BradyBuck] #7620167 09/30/19 07:07 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

It's already happening. Just put a system in place that has clear rules and can be regulated as much as possible. Will there be people try to get around it? Sure, just like they do now.

One other idea I heard recently was to just do an equal across the board stipend paid for by the NCAA out of the TV contracts.

Just get rid of oversight of working. Who cares what your employer pays you

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7620169 09/30/19 07:08 PM
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Just allow them to have jobs!!!!

but they would have to actually go to that job.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: CharlieCTx] #7620172 09/30/19 07:12 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I fixed it....get rid of the oversight, who cares what an outside employers pays you. It’s ridiculous it effects no one.

As former NCAA student athlete the system is stupid, it’s a huge hinderance

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7620176 09/30/19 07:22 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Originally Posted by LFD2037
I hate to agree with anything out of California, I 100% agree with this. The schools are making a HUGE profit off these kids and that’s okay but it’s not for them to make it themselves. That’s a crock of poo.
What would be the downside(s) to allowing this?

So a free education is poo?

Free roflmao

That’s Negative, not free in any sense.

Amen

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: CharlieCTx] #7620178 09/30/19 07:26 PM
Roll-Tide Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Gonna be interesting.

Is their education going to looked at as income? Everything else is income.

Injuries? Workers comp?

Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: Roll-Tide] #7620180 09/30/19 07:28 PM
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Gonna be interesting.

Injuries? Workers comp?

Union?

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7620184 09/30/19 07:30 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Gonna be interesting.

Injuries? Workers comp?

Union?

Naturally.

Prices about to go up across the board on everything since no one is about to have profit loss.

Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: A.B.] #7620189 09/30/19 07:37 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
J
Originally Posted by A.B.
Originally Posted by LFD2037
I hate to agree with anything out of California, I 100% agree with this. The schools are making a HUGE profit off these kids and that’s okay but it’s not for them to make it themselves. That’s a crock of poo.
What would be the downside(s) to allowing this?

So a free education is poo?

Free roflmao

That’s Negative, not free in any sense.

Amen

Where you been my friend, welcome back

Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: Roll-Tide] #7620195 09/30/19 07:46 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Gonna be interesting.

Injuries? Workers comp?

Sweet can’t wait to see those OT checks. Maybe they might actually adhere to practice limits and actually knock out the fun loopholes....

Nothing like 12 +semester hours and 45hrs of “athletics” in a week. Love the “20 hour rule”. LMAO
roflmao

Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: CharlieCTx] #7620494 10/01/19 01:30 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I'm not going to get into it they should be paid or how far that should go but they should be able to make money. It's stupid that if they have something as simple as a youtube channel the NCAA can rule them ineligible for making money off of it.

Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: Dustnsand] #7620500 10/01/19 01:34 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by z71dustin
I'm not going to get into it they should be paid or how far that should go but they should be able to make money. It's stupid that if they have something as simple as a youtube channel the NCAA can rule them ineligible for making money off of it.

Yep, a punter was forced to decide between continuing to play football or not posting videos on his YouTube channel (which had nothing to do with football). He chose the YouTube channel.

Outrageous.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: CharlieCTx] #7620695 10/01/19 12:25 PM
hopalong Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
so now we will have multimillionaire 19 yr olds?

really bad idea imo, but, if they are going to pay any of them then all of the athletes at a school should be paid.

money goes into a pool and every athlete gets paid the same money regardless of sport. first is tuition/housing then living expenses and any left over is theirs to blow. straight across the board, quarterback or high dive, equestrian or basketball they all get the same.
isn't that how obie wanted things, level playing field?

this is not gonna end well for a lot of reasons.

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: hopalong] #7620697 10/01/19 12:27 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by hopalong
so now we will have multimillionaire 19 yr olds?

really bad idea imo, but, if they are going to pay any of them then all of the athletes at a school should be paid.

money goes into a pool and every athlete gets paid the same money regardless of sport. first is tuition/housing then living expenses and any left over is theirs to blow. straight across the board, quarterback or high dive, equestrian or basketball they all get the same.
isn't that how obie wanted things, level playing field?

this is not gonna end well for a lot of reasons.

Yep with having to pay all athletes in all sports, those paychecks aren't going to be as much as some will think.

Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: CharlieCTx] #7620721 10/01/19 12:49 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Many athletes are not attending college on scholarships. Give the student athletes full rides out of the athletic budget. That should be sufficient. No one is making them play sports or attend college and they shouldn't make a profit. They can make the real money when they go pro or get good jobs from the free education.

My son carries 15 hours and works 50 hours a week doing manual labor so cry me a river about how much time athletes put in. Again, no one is forcing them to attend college or participate in sports. They knew what the deal was.

Last edited by Choctaw; 10/01/19 12:52 PM.
Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: CharlieCTx] #7620744 10/01/19 01:06 PM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
It’s obvious a bunch of you didn’t read the article. This is not about college athletes getting paid by colleges to play sports.
This is about college athletes getting paid by sponsors, such as Adidas, Gatorade, Chevy trucks, whatever. The school is making money off the kids’ name so why can’t the kid?

Schools should not be paying athletes to play sports but that’s not even what this thread is about.

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: Choctaw] #7620747 10/01/19 01:07 PM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Choctaw
Many athletes are not attending college on scholarships. Give the student athletes full rides out of the athletic budget. That should be sufficient. No one is making them play sports or attend college and they shouldn't make a profit. They can make the real money when they go pro or get good jobs from the free education.

My son carries 15 hours and works 50 hours a week doing manual labor so cry me a river about how much time athletes put in. Again, no one is forcing them to attend college or participate in sports. They knew what the deal was.

Nobody is forcing you to work yet you want to get paid for it?!? How dare you.

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: Choctaw] #7620755 10/01/19 01:12 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Your son came out way a head from a financial situation. Only extreme is if he went to a private school. And no most student athletes don’t have a clue what they are getting into. His school/work load is average for majority of student athletes. But then again most on here weren’t student athletes so they have no factual experience and just view it as a free ride/cake walk through college. Toss in that Student athletes are highly restricted on working and it’s a crap deal.

There are only three colleges in this nation that are on same footing of students and student athletes and that’s the US service academies(no outside jobs allowed) , all students/service members are paid the same via rank/year. The biggest difference are the non-student athletes don’t have 30hr-40hrs of seasonal sports on top of a 24 hour class load and 10-20hr of Military drills/formations.

Just let them work unrestricted and impose strict restrictions/penalties on the 20hr rule so they can work in season.

Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7620865 10/01/19 03:05 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A

I still peek in now and again. Too busy doing stuff I want to do these days, like keeping the grandson.
up

Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: Choctaw] #7620872 10/01/19 03:09 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A

I would have been happy if I could have worked a little job and made enough for a can of snuff, but rules dont allow. Yes football paid for my education, but it still didnt change the fact my mother was poor and i needed to earn money. If they would have given us 25.00 a week back in 86, I would have been in high cotton.

Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: CharlieCTx] #7620912 10/01/19 03:44 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
It could backfire big time if the NCAA tells colleges not to let the door hit you in the butt and creates a new division with the current rules but even more strict enforcement. Colleges that want to pay players are free to do so and end up competing with the NFL for an audience with games between a much smaller subset of colleges. The "play and get paid" program ends up dying on the vine and the NFL allows kids to enter the draft straight out of a high school by expanding minor league football. The new NCAA program schools return to the days when true student athletes go to class to earn and education and play a sport to help pay their tuition costs. The end result is a shake down of NCAA sports to where it all started with TV audiences enjoying a more competitive experience across all conferences and view the program with paid college players as minor league football.

My bet is the NCAA calls the current bluff with the plan I just outlined and both colleges and kids realize what a good thing they now have.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/01/19 04:17 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: CA passes law to allow NCAA players to get paid [Re: Texas Dan] #7620953 10/01/19 04:20 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
It could backfire big time if the NCAA tells colleges not to let the door hit you in the butt and creates a new division with the current rules but even more strict enforcement. Colleges that want to pay players are free to do so and end up competing with the NFL for an audience with games between a much smaller subset of colleges. The "play and get paid" program ends up dying on the vine and the NFL allows kids to enter the draft straight out of a high school by expanding minor league football. The new NCAA program schools return to the days when true student athletes go to class to earn and education and play a sport to help pay their tuition costs. The end result is a shake down of NCAA sports to where it all started with TV audiences enjoying a more competitive experience across all conferences and view the program with paid college players as minor league football.

My bet is the NCAA calls the current bluff with the plan I just outlined and both colleges and kids realize what a good thing they now have.

It’s not about schools paying, it’s about allowing outside employment

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide