Print Thread
Missing Dogs #7616002 09/25/19 05:05 PM
L
Leonardo Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Personally don't know the guy but he has some support from other known individuals within the retriever community. Hopefully the truth will come out and people will be informed one way or the other. Training animals of any sort is truly an integrity based business. Are they putting in the hours when nobody watching, are they caring for the animals when nobody is suppose to show up, ect… The animals can't give you their story.

https://www.thenewsstar.com/story/n...ling-25-k-labrador-retriever/2430962001/

Re: Missing Dogs [Re: Leonardo] #7616040 09/25/19 05:40 PM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Did he really think nobody would check? Sounds like he’s the one who should be buried in a shallow grave. I really hope they get him to talk and find out who he sold the dog to. Hopefully the victim/owner will get him back. SMH whip

Re: Missing Dogs [Re: Leonardo] #7616132 09/25/19 07:10 PM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
hanged

Re: Missing Dogs [Re: Leonardo] #7616654 09/26/19 03:26 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
bastard

Bobby Barnett

Re: Missing Dogs [Re: Leonardo] #7617382 09/27/19 01:05 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I wouldn’t trust a pro dog trainer any further than he could waste time not training my dog. It’s a racket. It doesn’t take anywhere near the time that gets charged to train a dog. Why was a dog worth 25K at a trainers house anyway?

Re: Missing Dogs [Re: Leonardo] #7617542 09/27/19 05:07 AM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Missing Dogs [Re: scalebuster] #7617596 09/27/19 11:57 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by scalebuster
I wouldn’t trust a pro dog trainer any further than he could waste time not training my dog. It’s a racket. It doesn’t take anywhere near the time that gets charged to train a dog. Why was a dog worth 25K at a trainers house anyway?

The guy might have had $25k in the dog but unless it was a FT dog or GRHRCH stud dog it's not worth that. I know of some Stud dogs that are knocking out 5+ breedings a month at $1000+ a pop.

There are a lot of competition retrievers that sell for more than $25k...a lot more.

Second...

You must not have much experience working with good retriever training pros because they are putting in way more time and work than most for the pay.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 09/27/19 12:00 PM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Missing Dogs [Re: Leonardo] #7617801 09/27/19 03:32 PM
T
takemking Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
It's obvious that this dog was more than just a possession to the owner and more like an irreplaceable family member. I'd say $50K if that's what it took to make sure he served significant penance. The implications of value here really aren't about getting $25K. It's all about monetary value when sentencing comes around for theft. In LA for example it only has to carry $1,000 value or more to be considered felony theft. However the sentencing range is affected by value. If the value is between $1000 or more but less than $5000, the sentencing range is up to 5 years in prison. If the value is over $5000 or more but less than 25,000 the sentencing range is up to 10 years. If the alleged value is $25,000 or greater, the sentencing range is up to 20 years with or without hard labor. So he's looking at max sentencing.

Re: Missing Dogs [Re: Leonardo] #7618371 09/28/19 02:24 AM
B
Birdhunter61 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
So playing devils advocate: what if the owner hasnt paid the bill for the last 6 months. Would that make a difference?

Robby

Re: Missing Dogs [Re: BradyBuck] #7618396 09/28/19 03:06 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by BradyBuck

The guy might have had $25k in the dog but unless it was a FT dog or GRHRCH stud dog it's not worth that. I know of some Stud dogs that are knocking out 5+ breedings a month at $1000+ a pop.

There are a lot of competition retrievers that sell for more than $25k...a lot more.

Second...

You must not have much experience working with good retriever training pros because they are putting in way more time and work than most for the pay.

I have no doubt dogs will sell for that price.

I don’t trust anyone else to train my dogs. I’ve heard too many stories from countless hunters and have seen dogs that had $1000’s in training that didn’t know chit. I was given a dog last year that had $2500 worth of training and it didn’t even know it’s name. Granted he wasn’t the brightest specimen, but with a lot of patience he made a dog. Many people are convinced by trainers to leave their dogs for much longer than should be necessary to get them to a huntable point.

You are correct. I have no experience with good retriever trainers. I’ve only had two retrievers. I’ve seen your videos of the few dogs that you train. I wouldn’t hesitate to send a dog your way. You also don’t do it for a living and don’t have 50 dogs your telling people you’re working every day. I don’t believe most dog trainers are giving the effort to finish a dog in the time it should take to make most people happy with a pet they can take hunting.

Out of the pro trainers you know which ones would you recommend to a friend to send their dog to?

Re: Missing Dogs [Re: Birdhunter61] #7618437 09/28/19 04:58 AM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Birdhunter61
So playing devils advocate: what if the owner hasnt paid the bill for the last 6 months. Would that make a difference?

Robby

Make a difference to what...sell another mans dog? Are you serious? “If” he hadn’t paid, then tell him to come get his dog and he’s gonna sit on the truck or go to the pound. Followed by a small claims court to recover what he owes you. Don’t make up some story that the dog died and that you buried it with your buddy this last Saturday. Then when the police come... for the second time... you go to the gravesite and say, “look at that... he’s not here”. Then they question your buddy and he says none of that is true and he didn’t help bury anything? What a crock. Wonder if the dogs hair was in that hole. There would have to be some if he put him in there. I wonder if they checked. The whole thing smells like a skunk. Sounds like he knew he was screwed and that’s why he said “go ahead and arrest me and let me get a lawyer.”

Maybe I’m wrong, maybe he did bury the dog and some grave robber came and stole the body. I don’t know...just like his buddy, I wasn’t there.

If you were training someone’s dog and they hadn’t paid you, how would you handle it?

Re: Missing Dogs [Re: scalebuster] #7618443 09/28/19 05:46 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by BradyBuck

Second...

I have no doubt dogs will sell for that price.

I don’t trust anyone else to train my dogs. I’ve heard too many stories from countless hunters and have seen dogs that had $1000’s in training that didn’t know chit. I was given a dog last year that had $2500 worth of training and it didn’t even know it’s name. Granted he wasn’t the brightest specimen, but with a lot of patience he made a dog. Many people are convinced by trainers to leave their dogs for much longer than should be necessary to get them to a huntable point.

You are correct. I have no experience with good retriever trainers. I’ve only had two retrievers. I’ve seen your videos of the few dogs that you train. I wouldn’t hesitate to send a dog your way. You also don’t do it for a living and don’t have 50 dogs your telling people you’re working every day. I don’t believe most dog trainers are giving the effort to finish a dog in the time it should take to make most people happy with a pet they can take hunting.

Out of the pro trainers you know which ones would you recommend to a friend to send their dog to?

Spot on! I haven't been around this game very long but long enough to know there are some trainers out there who aren't putting in the time. It goes both ways though. An owner can't expect to drop a dog off at 6 months. Come back after it's a year old and wonder why it doesn't listen to them. The owner has a responsibility to learn how to handle their dog.

I appreciate the feedback on my dogs!

Justin Jackson with Texoma Retrievers is a top notch guy and works his tail off.

A couple more would be JC with Cripple Creek, Eldridge with Summit and Nathan Sloan with Muddy wing.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide