Print Thread
Mechanical broad head test - Fail? #7612980 09/22/19 04:01 PM
C
chrswr Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C

Ive never taken a deer with an arrow before. I tried last year, just didnt have the right opportunity.

This year I purchased some mechanical broadheads, that were highly recommended by the salesman who ' has taken large elk' with them....so he claims

I was very leary of the mechanical blade, i mean the fixed blade cant go wrong unless I miss. But the mechanical, if functions properly will make a larger, nastier wound and kill the animal quicker......sounds legit, I get it....

Now when I decided to shoot 1 practice shot with my fixed broadhead, my target was leaning against one to these plastic little tyke play cars that kids open doors and get in and scoot around in...decent size well built toy. My field tips go into the target several inches, what ever. My fixed blade went completely through the targer, and through both sides of that car! Wow, I was absolutely amazed. Just right through like butter. That was awesome.

So on to the one test with the highly recommended mechanical blade.....It penetrated the target only, and only a few inches deeper that the fieldtips. I dont know if the blades opened up or not, no way to tell when burried in the target.

So unless someone tells me something to make me a believer and why thats what I want, i think im going to stick with my fixed blade heads.

Picture below.
Arrow on the left is the mechanical broadhead from 40 yards, picture on the right is just a field tip also from 40 yards. Dont just my placement, My setup is going to be a 25-30 yard shot only. also included picts of the types of broadheads..
Thanks for your input.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I

Re: Mechanical broad head test - Fail? [Re: chrswr] #7612999 09/22/19 04:27 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Spitfire are the mechs I use and never had a problem with them.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Mechanical broad head test - Fail? [Re: chrswr] #7613001 09/22/19 04:29 PM
M
MoTex Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
You won't go wrong with either broad head with a well placed shot, I've killed deer/pigs with both. Use what gives you have the most confidence. Fixed usually will penetrate more but doesn't always mean it is better when it comes to bleeding and shock from the arrow. Those targets are not consistent inside, so you may have hit a "soft" spot, less backing. There is a spot in my target that makes it almost impossible to pull an arrow shot with target point.
Good luck

Re: Mechanical broad head test - Fail? [Re: chrswr] #7613133 09/22/19 08:03 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Interesting are you using the actual heads on the target? Are you sharpening he heads after the shots?

I use a dummy that is supplied in the package so I don’t ruin the mechanical head in practice.

Re: Mechanical broad head test - Fail? [Re: chrswr] #7613153 09/22/19 08:22 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I shoot mechanicals and they do not normally penetrate as deep into the target as a practice point or fixed blade. I shot Spitfires for years and now shoot Swhackers mechanical broadheads out of my compound, never had an issue with penetration or never had one fail to open on contact.
What is the width of cut on your fixed vs the mechanical? Larger cut will have a bit more drag also.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Mechanical broad head test - Fail? [Re: chrswr] #7613596 09/23/19 11:39 AM
Gringocazador Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I've taken game with Spitfire, thats what I use.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Mechanical broad head test - Fail? [Re: stxranchman] #7613623 09/23/19 12:28 PM
C
chrswr Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
Originally Posted by stxranchman
I shoot mechanicals and they do not normally penetrate as deep into the target as a practice point or fixed blade. I shot Spitfires for years and now shoot Swhackers mechanical broadheads out of my compound, never had an issue with penetration or never had one fail to open on contact.
What is the width of cut on your fixed vs the mechanical? Larger cut will have a bit more drag also.

The fixed is 1 1/4, the mechanical is 1 3/4

Re: Mechanical broad head test - Fail? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7613624 09/23/19 12:30 PM
C
chrswr Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Interesting are you using the actual heads on the target? Are you sharpening he heads after the shots?

I use a dummy that is supplied in the package so I don’t ruin the mechanical head in practice.

I only used one of each from package of 4. Just to make sure they fly true,

Re: Mechanical broad head test - Fail? [Re: chrswr] #7613796 09/23/19 03:19 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Like others have said I believe that a smaller fixed head will always penetrate more than a larger diameter mechanical head.

I don't think this test/experience shows that the mechanicals aren't working as it looks like you have plenty penetration to be effective. If you want a pass through I would recommend a fixed. If you want the biggest cut you can get a mechanical is the way to go.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Mechanical broad head test - Fail? [Re: chrswr] #7614459 09/24/19 02:45 AM
D
djs303 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I would go with the one that is the most accurate and you are confident with. I use spitfire while crossbow hunting and all have blown through making a nice sized hole and a blood trail that was almost unbelievable. All but one down within 75 yards of shot and I'm in the double digits with kills.

Re: Mechanical broad head test - Fail? [Re: chrswr] #7614530 09/24/19 04:25 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by chrswr
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye

I only used one of each from package of 4. Just to make sure they fly true,

You will be good, as mentioned use the one you shoot best and have confidence in the most.

Re: Mechanical broad head test - Fail? [Re: chrswr] #7615002 09/24/19 05:58 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I used some years ago and had good luck with them on the whitetails. I was heading up to hunt elk in Idaho and at that time, their rules prohibited the use of mechanicals up there. I called and asked why. They had run tests and due to the lack of penetration on elk, they decided to prohibit them. They said that even though they caused more damage, the did the damage to less tissue than regular broadheads. Their records showed that they would take out one lung but that a number of elk survived on the one lung left.
I wasn't going to argue and went back to a fixed blade. Every elk i hit with those I found.

I decided to stick with the fixed blades after that. Nothing against the mechanical one's, just easier to go with one blade.

My purpose isn't to stir the pot, just that if you're going out of state, you might check their regs first.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Mechanical broad head test - Fail? [Re: chrswr] #7615020 09/24/19 06:11 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
I switched to mechanical broadheads years ago and it just happened that Spitfire's are the ones I chose because I used to shoot the NAP thunderhead fixed broadheads and they were supposed to be similar. Since then, many of the guys that I hunt with have made the switch simply because of the results they have seen. Not saying they are the best, but they do work.

I have killed a lot of deer with them over the years and would recommend them to anyone on whitetail.

The largest animal I have killed is Kansas Whitetail that field dress over 200 pounds and can get a pass through with a 62# draw and 28" arrow.

Fixed blades will always have more penetration than mechanical but there are other ways to get penetration, so I focus more on performance.

Good luck!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Mechanical broad head test - Fail? [Re: chrswr] #7615388 09/25/19 12:55 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
An arrow that is not a pass thru will be flopping around in the vitals as the deer runs off. So it is doing a lot of cutting of vitals it comes into contact with as the deer runs.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Mechanical broad head test - Fail? [Re: chrswr] #7615447 09/25/19 01:42 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I’m 100% pro mechanical on deer sized game.

I’ve gotten a pass thru on a pronghorn at 84 yards.

Everything I’ve shot has been a passthru and has died very very quickly

I shoot a lighter weight arrow and heavy poundage ( 70-72#’s depending on bow) and never had an issue with penetration

I personally like rocket sidewinders or wasp Jackhammers

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Mechanical broad head test - Fail? [Re: txtrophy85] #7616677 09/26/19 04:03 AM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I have been experimenting with Mech. Heads on live targets(hogs). So far, I have used Swhacker and Raptor by slick trick. Both hogs were around the 90 to 100lb. mark. The Swhacker was a 16yd lung shot. Did not pass thru. Once the arrow came out, had a decent blood trail. Hog expired about 30yds away. Did not like the penetration. The Raptor, was a 10yd heart shot. Hog made a 20ft half circle and dropped dead. Blades never opened on impact. Not sure on penetration, being the arrow fell out about 5 feet from where she stood when hit. By the look of the arrow, it didn't go in very far. There was no blood trail. Spitfire is next on the list.
Right now, MH aren't looking very well for me. Will still be using fixed on the deer. Keep this in mind, if I had shot these same hogs with my fixed blades, both would have been complete pass thrus.

Re: Mechanical broad head test - Fail? [Re: chrswr] #7619790 09/30/19 11:01 AM
O
okbowhunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
O
I switched to the Grim Reaper Mech last year after one of my nephews convinced me but other nephew still shoots muzzy fixed 3 blade and will never change. Killed a small buck no problem last year didn't pass though completely. During the track job found the front 4" of the arrow and broad-head and back 1/3 and the middle was broke off in the deer from where he fell down. He had got back up and died about 80 yards from where I shot him. A big ol' bobcat came out chasing him right after I'd shot him I think that is why he got back up.

Anyway for testing I think if you shoot into a block made for broad-heads you would have cleaner test results.

The more cutting area the broad-head gives you the better. They need to be sharp.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide