Forums46
Topics537,942
Posts9,730,895
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21
Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: dogcatcher] #7614100 09/23/19 08:16 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Originally Posted by pdr55
I thought I remembered something about her having a pass key that would open the victims door.

I also thought there was something about her being part of the building security and her also having a pass key to the apartments. Did she accidently use the pass key to get in?

no, she used it because her key didn't work.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: Stub] #7614105 09/23/19 08:22 PM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Accident or no she still took a man's life and should pay for it. Personally I'd like to see her do about 15 years in the pen but they probably wont give her that many. I think she was a little too quick on the trigger but it's always easy to second guess these type things.

Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: Stub] #7614106 09/23/19 08:22 PM
F
FamousAmos Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I have been praying for peace over our LEO in Dallas. I can't see her being convicted of murder. Manslaughter might have been a charge they could get a verdict on but murder involves intent and some level of premeditation. When that not guilty is rendered, as I think will happen, parts of Dallas will erupt.

Again, praying for peace and will continue to.

“And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.”
‭‭Micah‬ ‭6:8‬
Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: FamousAmos] #7614108 09/23/19 08:25 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by FamousAmos
I have been praying for peace over our LEO in Dallas. I can't see her being convicted of murder. Manslaughter might have been a charge they could get a verdict on but murder involves intent and some level of premeditation. When that not guilty is rendered, as I think will happen, parts of Dallas will erupt.

Again, praying for peace and will continue to.

pretty sure they can convict her of manslaughter.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: Stub] #7614118 09/23/19 08:36 PM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Criminally negligent homicide or not guilty of anything is my prediction.

Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: Stub] #7614129 09/23/19 08:53 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Stub
Originally Posted by TexFlip
Originally Posted by Stub
Geez all of these people comments about her being a cop means nothing and she needs to go to prison regardless hammer

I would look at her Police record and see what kind of a cop she was, if she was a good one with no bad write ups (whatever they are called) and had good service than I would give her the benefit of the doubt, not saying she should go without appropriate punishment for whatever she did wrong, but this cop bashing BS is all wrong!

And our men and women who are "Being a Cop" means a LOT to me at least flag

I agree. She should be held to a HIGHER standard than any one else. She took an oath to serve and protect. She went through intense training, psychological screening, was taught the penal code, drug tested, polygraphed, firearms training, application of deadly force, etc. Yet she walked into someone else's house, gave them unlawful commands and shot them dead. The crime? Not locking his door.

I do somewhat agree that Police should be held to a higher standard because of their job and training, but they also should not be judged or sentenced more severely for it either!

Originally Posted by Sneaky
There was no cop bashing in this thread, that I saw. Just the valid point that it shouldn’t have anything to do with the outcome of the case. She invaded a man’s home and killed him without cause. I do believe that is what matters.

If her accounts of what transpired are true, she did Not Invade a mans house she accidentally went into the wrong house No Invasion!!

Invade = (of an armed force or its commander) enter (a country or region) so as to subjugate or occupy it.)

Who said she should be punished more severely than a civilian?

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: Stub] #7614138 09/23/19 09:02 PM
MikeC Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Why should she get sentenced to 15 years as has been suggested when thugs shoot other thugs in Dallas every day and get sentenced to 4 to 7 years if at all and get out in less than half that time if they are?

www.connerknives.net

In every old body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!

[Linked Image]
Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: Stub] #7614147 09/23/19 09:13 PM
P
pdr55 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I just hope that her defense attorney belongs to the same Country Club as the judge.

If you`re running down my country, man,
You`re walking on the fighting side of me. (Merle)
Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: Stub] #7614149 09/23/19 09:16 PM
B
bassfishinglawyer Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
So let me get this right on this whole mistake of fact thing:

- so if I see a guy running out of a bank while the alarm is going off and I shoot and kill the guy (I obviously thought he was the robber, so it is a mistake of fact), I go free?

- if I go over to the neighbor's house because the door is cracked open and the neighbor's brother is standing there (but I know the neighbor is out of town on vacation) and I decide to take down that intruder/brother, I go free, because it was a mistake of fact?

- I see a guy running down the street and hear an old lady yelling "purse thief" so I run him down with the car and he turns out to be the person who was pursuing the purse thief, I go free?

If so, I know I need to be a lot more aggressive with my use of deadly force and ignore all the things I learned in LTC and related training.

Last edited by bassfishinglawyer; 09/23/19 09:22 PM.
Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: MikeC] #7614154 09/23/19 09:21 PM
S
snoopy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by MikeC

Why should she get sentenced to 15 years as has been suggested when thugs shoot other thugs in Dallas every day and get sentenced to 4 to 7 years if at all and get out in less than half that time if they are?

Thugs shooting other thugs should collect a bounty.

Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7614162 09/23/19 09:29 PM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Originally Posted by pdr55
I thought I remembered something about her having a pass key that would open the victims door.

I also thought there was something about her being part of the building security and her also having a pass key to the apartments. Did she accidently use the pass key to get in?

no, she used it because her key didn't work.

I remember them stating she noticed the door was ajar after her key not working several times. Was that not the case?

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #7614179 09/23/19 09:52 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer

- so if I see a guy running out of a bank while the alarm is going off and I shoot and kill the guy (I obviously thought he was the robber, so it is a mistake of fact), I go free?

- if I go over to the neighbor's house because the door is cracked open and the neighbor's brother is standing there (but I know the neighbor is out of town on vacation) and I decide to take down that intruder/brother, I go free, because it was a mistake of fact?

- I see a guy running down the street and hear an old lady yelling "purse thief" so I run him down with the car and he turns out to be the person who was pursuing the purse thief, I go free?

If so, I know I need to be a lot more aggressive with my use of deadly force and ignore all the things I learned in LTC and related training.

I find it a very odd...loophole, for lack of a better term, but I don’t know enough about it.

The way I’m reading it, it sounds like a get out of jail free card when mistakes are made.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7614190 09/23/19 10:09 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

I find it a very odd...loophole, for lack of a better term, but I don’t know enough about it.

The way I’m reading it, it sounds like a get out of jail free card when mistakes are made.

Does it apply to anyone, or just those with a badge?

Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: Sneaky] #7614209 09/23/19 10:27 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E

Seems that way. My Grandad retired from DPD in '79 after a 30 year career. If he was alive today, he would agree.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7614218 09/23/19 10:38 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by nak
I tend to agree with those that say there is more to it than what's been released.

We are supposed to believe she was able to safely operate a motor vehicle and drive home, then just seconds later, too tired and disoriented to know she was walking into someone else's home, but still had the reflexes to shot someone in the dark room?

I’ve been so tired that I didn’t remember driving back to the yard or home numerous times.....when the oilfield was rocking and rolling about 13-14 years ago...numerous times!!!!!

Edit: due to fatigue she would have impaired mental faculties...more likely to be quicker on the trigger against a perceived threat.....

^^Exactly

Last summer, we got our azzes handed to us on shift. 24 hours, straight call after call. By shift change at 0700 all of us were smoked. I went to QT to put DEF in my truck. About 1.5 gallons in, I realized I was putting it in the fuel neck. That's a whole other story. Point being my head wasn't right, due to mental exhaustion.

Amber went to her complex, floor after floor looks the same. She walked the hall to what she thought was her apartment. Put the key in the door and the door opens. She goes in thinking an intruder is in HER apartment. She clears holster, gives commands, they were not followed, her domicile she thought, guy gets shot.

Then, she calls dispatch, identifies herself and asks for FD. On the phone she is telling dispatch she messed up thinking it was her apartment. She is talking to him "I'm so sorry, stay with me, they are coming."

NOT MURDER! A tragic mistake.

The court put murder on her to appease a group of people, nothing more.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #7614222 09/23/19 10:40 PM
T
Toepuncher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T

Generally the mistake of fact has to be reasonable, which as you know means that an objective standard (reasonable person), rather than a subjective standard, would apply. So, your specific mindset (in your examples above) really wouldn't matter unless they are also objectively reasonable. In your first example, it would probably be difficult to make the argument that you would be acting reasonably based on the very limited information you provided. If the person you shoot and kill ran out of the bank with a rifle and several bags of cash, maybe so. I think we would also need to know more facts to assess the reasonableness of your "actions" in your other scenarios. For instance, was the guy you thought was a purse thief carrying a purse? A judge or jury would consider all those types of things in your scenarios just like the jury will likely consider what some might consider minutiae in determining whether or not Guyger made a mistake of fact and, if she did, whether or not it was a reasonable mistake.

There has been a gag order in place in this case for a while. I suspect quite a bit of information will be revealed that was not available to the public. I tend to withhold judgment on things like this until more information is available. However, from what I have seen and heard, it certainly appears to be a tragic mistake. Assuming the jury agrees, I think the question will be whether or not Guyger's mistake(s) of fact was reasonable, applying an objective, reasonable person standard.

Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: J.G.] #7614225 09/23/19 10:42 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Gives commands.
.roflmao.

Give me commands in my own house. Nope

Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: fadetoblack64] #7614226 09/23/19 10:44 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Man she F ed up. She needs to pay.

Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: fadetoblack64] #7614228 09/23/19 10:45 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by takewhatyoucan64
Gives commands.
.roflmao.

Give me commands in my own house. Nope

She thought she was in HER apartment. I've given commands with a pistol pointed at him IN MY OWN YARD. He followed them, he didn't get shot.

Repeat, she thought it was her domicile. She is absolutely going to gice commands, as would anyone on this forum.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: Stub] #7614237 09/23/19 10:51 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Big bright orange doormat in front of the door. She didn't have a bright orange door mat. She never should have pulled the trigger. Period. Guilty as sin. Give her the maximum.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: Erathkid] #7614239 09/23/19 10:53 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Simmer down fireman

Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: fadetoblack64] #7614244 09/23/19 10:54 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Police do F up. And should pay

Makes people trust the system and they haven't for decades

Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #7614248 09/23/19 11:04 PM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

I'm making this as generic as I can because it's a true story. Undercover Narcotics Officers make a street level dope buy from a pocket dealer. The arrest team officers are wearing police marked raid vests and nomex masks to shield their identity from criminals they encounter. A foot pursuit ensues and the bad guy is chased into a convenience store. The store clerk sees the undercover officer wearing a mask chasing this guy, but doesn't notice the police vest, because he has tunnel vision from being in the situation. The store clerk shoots the officer who is now paralyzed for life. The grand jury found the shooting was an accident and no criminal conduct occurred. the store clerk was not prosecuted because he made a mistake of fact. He believed he was being robbed and was protecting himself. People aren't prosecuted because of mistake of fact from time to time. It isn't super common but it is in the penal code for a reason.

Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: ntxtrapper] #7614254 09/23/19 11:09 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Maybe if he had a ladder he could have escaped the scared woman. rofl

Re: Amber Guyger Trial Starts Today.. [Re: Sneaky] #7614259 09/23/19 11:12 PM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

It applies to any person in the state of Texas.

Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide