Forums46
Topics536,988
Posts9,719,164
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: txtrophy85] #7599935 09/06/19 10:44 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I did not read the article. I am going on 73 years old. Here is what I remember from when I was a youth. I lived where now IH 35 and Weidner RD. in San Antonio meet. IH35 when it was built cut my parents property in semi half. I started hunting rabbits when I was probably 10 with an old single shot 22 and Doves with a single shot 410. Rabbits were easy but the Doves required them being sitting in a tree.. The first Buck Deer I shot was with a 250-3000 when I was 15. I had hunted them since I was probably 14 years old and had missed a few but this was the first Buck. A 8 point with a 13 inch spread. Back then you could hunt for a week and never see a Deer. When I was 16 my parents bought the Ranch in Bandera. Then the hunting was completely different. When you went out you saw Deer. Maybe not Bucks but Deer. Actually the first Buck I got in S. A. is still one of the better Deer I have taken. And the only one I still remember taking. Quality of Bucks? Here where I live I really don't think it has changed that much. There are way more Deer now than 50 years ago. Maybe it is that nobody around here feeds protein free choice or maybe the genetics are not right. I do not feed the Deer protein. I do feed the Ibex but the Deer only get the scraps. I have a couple of Bucks that I know are over 6 years old and neither would break probably 110. And I am not overstocked. Deer hunting has changed a lot over those years. Maybe it is the years on me or what but I really don't enjoy shooting a Deer anymore. I will go out and hunt and look at them and when I want to make sausage I will shoot one but the excitement is not there anymore.

Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: txtrophy85] #7600054 09/07/19 01:20 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Weidner road is well inside town.

Kinda scares me where town is gonna stop when I’m 73

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: Texas Dan] #7600118 09/07/19 02:48 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by Choctaw
And that's all that matters.
up

So long as everyone gets to see a deer as their "participation" trophy.

Anyone here ever take pride in telling their son or daughter they can't expect to see a deer every time they sit in the deer stand, much less get one every season?

Why would you take pride in that? Seeing a deer isn’t a participation trophy its pretty much expected these days.

Even in the national forests I fully expect to see deer most days. Not elk, but just about every day I see deer.

I’ve hunted quite a few places in my day that had low populations......Nothing endearing about those places at all

I do tell much kids to be thankful because deer were not as easy to come by for me when I was there age...I take pride that they are selective and take mature deer rather than the first legal deer they see

Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: txtrophy85] #7600341 09/07/19 02:28 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Weidner road is well inside town.

Kinda scares me where town is gonna stop when I’m 73

It no longer scares me anymore because it's gone, and gone forever, because I hunted off Bitters road near West Ave. and also across 1604 in what is now Stone Oak.
And Also inside of 1604 and Potranco Rd.
Urban sprawl has taken away some very good genetics and great deer from our area.
You can live at 281 and 46 right now and your only need to drive south toward SA would be to go to the medical center, and that soon won't even be necessary.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: txtrophy85] #7600370 09/07/19 02:57 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Hard to explain just how low and sparse the whitetail population was back in the late 50 and 60's so I'll try it this way. From where I live right now you would have to drive a few hours south before you'd start running into whitetails. Pop and I were hunting on the Pecos River at the time, it was 1 buck and does by permit only, hard hunting and lot's of walking. Mid 60's Pop got a lease down by Robert Lee, two buck and does by permit only. In the 70's more and more whitetails were showing up in the south and southeast part of the county, this is where the big ranch is and my place is directly south of there. Back then I was doing allot of trapping and primarily just trapping slides on back country roads. With that much time in the dirt you pay attention the tracks and I was starting to see deer tracks even in northern parts of the county. Let's skip to today and we're a 3 buck county, we have deer coming into town. Now this area is covered in feeders, multiple processors and we're dodging them on the roads. Where I live right now deer are coming into the neighborhood and you might see whitetails or mulies. When the deer are up and moving I might see 50 or more a day on the big ranch which is 5 miles south of the house. On my place I can guarantee a person get a deer probably just in an evening hunt alone. We're covered up in whitetails now and as I mentioned we have mulies establishing themselves in the northern part of the county, they like them scrub oaks. We also have small pockets of exotics that have escaped and starting to establish, y'all seen pics of the axis, fallow and black buck I've taken on the big ranch and this doesn't count the Aoudad that are moving into the county or Feral hogs. It's been an absolute explosion of wildlife, and I've got to witness it.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: HWY_MAN] #7600390 09/07/19 03:21 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I might as well throw in the hunting differences over the years. Didn't see my first actual deer blind until the late 60's and those were up in tree's, we did all out hunting on foot. We might pick a spot on the side of a hill early in the morning or late in the evening and watch a spot for a while, during the day we were walking them up. Canyon country on the Pecos was allot easier to hunt than here, we'd walk and rock canyons or walk the top and secondary rims working the headers, I was still doing allot of walking in the 70's and didn't build my first blind until about 80. Now I just feed about 150 yards from the truck and can literally shoot out of the driver side window. My favorite ways to hunt still involve walking, love to rattle and I really like sneaking through the thickets, especially with a handgun.

Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: txtrophy85] #7600449 09/07/19 04:30 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Deer Population through time in the US...

http://www.deerfriendly.com/decline-of-deer-populations

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: txtrophy85] #7600482 09/07/19 05:02 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
In Texas it's not the deer populations we have to worry about. It's the fact that the major cities and even the suburbs are continually expanding, and we are losing the habitat and old timer ranchers are dying off and their youngsters don't want to mess with the labor and time it takes to maintain and run those ranches, when they see the dollar signs and investors willing to buy.
Developers are drooling for the chance to buy out those properties and turn them into subdivisions for all those who are moving here in droves to avoid the high taxes in the states they are moving from.
Deer populations are higher than ever, but the land is shrinking and the price to hunt just keeps going up.
Supply and demand is what rules these days!

Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7600485 09/07/19 05:06 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Deer Population through time in the US...

http://www.deerfriendly.com/decline-of-deer-populations

[Linked Image]
From your link, it's interesting to see the decline start just about the same time early Spaniards, horses and firearms were making themselves known along with the early Plains Indians horses made a huge difference even without firearms. Gotta remember, around 1500's everybody in the US was on foot.

Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: HWY_MAN] #7600487 09/07/19 05:07 PM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN
Hard to explain just how low and sparse the whitetail population was back in the late 50 and 60's so I'll try it this way. From where I live right now you would have to drive a few hours south before you'd start running into whitetails. Pop and I were hunting on the Pecos River at the time, it was 1 buck and does by permit only, hard hunting and lot's of walking. Mid 60's Pop got a lease down by Robert Lee, two buck and does by permit only. In the 70's more and more whitetails were showing up in the south and southeast part of the county, this is where the big ranch is and my place is directly south of there. Back then I was doing allot of trapping and primarily just trapping slides on back country roads. With that much time in the dirt you pay attention the tracks and I was starting to see deer tracks even in northern parts of the county. Let's skip to today and we're a 3 buck county, we have deer coming into town. Now this area is covered in feeders, multiple processors and we're dodging them on the roads. Where I live right now deer are coming into the neighborhood and you might see whitetails or mulies. When the deer are up and moving I might see 50 or more a day on the big ranch which is 5 miles south of the house. On my place I can guarantee a person get a deer probably just in an evening hunt alone. We're covered up in whitetails now and as I mentioned we have mulies establishing themselves in the northern part of the county, they like them scrub oaks. We also have small pockets of exotics that have escaped and starting to establish, y'all seen pics of the axis, fallow and black buck I've taken on the big ranch and this doesn't count the Aoudad that are moving into the county or Feral hogs. It's been an absolute explosion of wildlife, and I've got to witness it.

I went from Hunting East TX just west of Atlanta, TX in Cass county in 1987 where we saw some decent deer to hunting right off of lake EV Spence in 1988 and I will never forget driving around that 500 acres and seeing herds of deer, can only imagine how it is now.

texas flag

Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: Stub] #7600517 09/07/19 05:33 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Stub

I went from Hunting East TX just west of Atlanta, TX in Cass county in 1987 where we saw some decent deer to hunting right off of lake EV Spence in 1988 and I will never forget driving around that 500 acres and seeing herds of deer, can only imagine how it is now.

Since just about anything with 10 acres are more has a full time feeder running it's easy to see why the population is on the rise. Plays into feral hogs and I suspect whitewing dove, be interesting to know how much corn is fed out in just one season here in TX. I feed about 1200 lbs a week on 3 sections from September until after quail season.

Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: Jimbo] #7600527 09/07/19 05:49 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Jimbo
In Texas it's not the deer populations we have to worry about. It's the fact that the major cities and even the suburbs are continually expanding, and we are losing the habitat and old timer ranchers are dying off and their youngsters don't want to mess with the labor and time it takes to maintain and run those ranches, when they see the dollar signs and investors willing to buy.
Developers are drooling for the chance to buy out those properties and turn them into subdivisions for all those who are moving here in droves to avoid the high taxes in the states they are moving from.
Deer populations are higher than ever, but the land is shrinking and the price to hunt just keeps going up.
Supply and demand is what rules these days!

Prices today make it real tough to buy a place and make it cash flow from ranching/farming.

Lot less farms now than there was 40 years ago so this has turned into more habitat for game which upticks the population

As for urban sprawl....I would love to argue with you but the fact is that you are right. Normally counties that touched a major metro county were the most at risk but now it’s extending beyond that.

In blanco county right now there are 5 developments going on right now offering anywhere from 5-25+ acre tracts. One parent ranch was 216 acres, one was 313 , one 357, one was 508 and one was 1500. Lots of country getting chopped up.

Gillespie is going thru the same thing along with Burnet and LLano.

The place I hunt now with my kids is at risk for the same thing, or one of the neighbors could sell to a developer. Hope it doesent happen but it’s a realistic possibility

Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: HWY_MAN] #7600532 09/07/19 05:52 PM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Stub

Since just about anything with 10 acres are more has a full time feeder running it's easy to see why the population is on the rise. Plays into feral hogs and I suspect whitewing dove, be interesting to know how much corn is fed out in just one season here in TX. I feed about 1200 lbs a week on 3 sections from September until after quail season.

There use to a lot of Blue quail out there, are they still around?

texas flag

Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: Stub] #7600539 09/07/19 06:04 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
There use to a lot of Blue quail out there, are they still around?

We seem to hold at about 75 to 80 percent Blues.

Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: don k] #7600715 09/07/19 09:34 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by don k
I will shoot one but the excitement is not there anymore.

My mindset changed a lot when I retired back in December. I realized even more that hunting was more of an escape so that once the job went away, there was nothing to escape from. After getting bored at home, I've decided to go back to work in far less stressful job and will spend far less time in the woods this season. Less stress and nothing more to prove equates to spending more vacation time traveling with the wife and visiting with the kids.

Shooting has become a lot more enjoyable as well.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/07/19 09:36 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: txtrophy85] #7601091 09/08/19 11:59 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I got to thinking about what else has changed about hunting from years ago. What came to mind was what folks did with their Deer once it was shot. Seems to me that more people back years ago did their own processing. Whether it was getting together with others or at their home. How it seems like most take it to a processor. The excuse I hear most is "I don't have the time". Yet there was the time to hunt or watch TV. But it does seem that the dead Deer now are taken better care of after the hunt than from years past. I can remember seeing all the Deer tied to the front fender or laying in the back of a pickup coming back from hunting trips. Now it seems that most are at least in a ice chest or at least out of the hot sun.

Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: don k] #7601102 09/08/19 12:54 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I got to thinking about what else has changed about hunting from years ago. What came to mind was what folks did with their Deer once it was shot. Seems to me that more people back years ago did their own processing. Whether it was getting together with others or at their home. How it seems like most take it to a processor. The excuse I hear most is "I don't have the time". Yet there was the time to hunt or watch TV. But it does seem that the dead Deer now are taken better care of after the hunt than from years past. I can remember seeing all the Deer tied to the front fender or laying in the back of a pickup coming back from hunting trips. Now it seems that most are at least in a ice chest or at least out of the hot sun.

I can't ever remember seeing anyone suggesting a way to prepare and cook venison on any of the many hunting shows, much less a comment about how much meat is on a deer once they find it. The camera and attention always goes straight to the antlers.

Your point is a good one. Just as some of the best shooters are those who reload their own ammo, the best hunters are often those who process their own deer. But then as you have already pointed out, these are the ones who invest more time into the sport.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: don k] #7601106 09/08/19 01:11 PM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

Great points Don.

At first we processed almost all of our deer which only meant boning them out, no sausage or links. Then started just taking the Backstraps and Tenderloins and sending the rest to the processor for cuts, sausage and links. Then it was taking the Backstraps, Tenderloins and roast and sending the rest to the processors for sausage and links.
Bought a Meat grinder last year now nothing goes to the processors although I need to get a lot better at making sausages and smoked links or I might need to take a little to Cinnamon Creek grin

Last edited by Stub; 09/08/19 01:13 PM.

texas flag

Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: Texas Dan] #7601146 09/08/19 02:35 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

I can't ever remember seeing anyone suggesting a way to prepare and cook venison on any of the many hunting shows, much less a comment about how much meat is on a deer once they find it. The camera and attention always goes straight to the antlers.

that's because you are watching a hunting show and not a cooking show.

but several shows have featured episodes on preparing and cooking wild game. Meat Eater series has had several episodes on how to care for and prepare wild game

Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: txtrophy85] #7602914 09/10/19 01:49 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Born in NJ and started hunting at 12 in 1960. Dad was from rural SC and took me small game then deer in 62. NJ was in rapid transition from farming to urbanization. The " Garden State" Those abandoned farms were a source for exceptional habitat. Always saw lots of deer in fact NJ still has one of the highest deer densities in the US, Small state lots of deer. As 80% of the harvest ( Bucks only ) occured in the first 4 hours of the opening day of the seven day season. Focus was never on racks but meat. You rarely saw any mature deer. I recall seeing lots of deer in a sitting 20 to 30 mainly does and a few of bucks spikes and 4 and 6 points. As we had limited public land you hunted private and the law was if it wasn't posted you could hunt it. Later with more modern management Does became available in a special one day saturday season after the regular season. That's when we started getting our annual venison. No feeders and sitting on or against a tree on a run was our process. There was so much pressure that the deer were on a constant move and if you were committed you scored.

Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: Flashprism] #7605322 09/12/19 06:27 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by Flashprism
As we had limited public land you hunted private and the law was if it wasn't posted you could hunt it.

With all the knuckleheads running around in the woods today it's hard for me to imagine that this is still the case.
It would be easier to imagine the landowner with a can of purple stray paint or nailing up posted signs on every other tree.
Too many ambulance chasing lawyers, and people just overcrowding and trashing the country with beer cans and trash.

Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: txtrophy85] #7605358 09/12/19 07:31 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Jimbo as I was relating my experience 40 years ago I cannot say what the law is now or for the past 20 years. At the time someone could ask you to leave if it was their property however if it wasn't posted you were not in violation of any law. I would think things may have changed now

Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: txtrophy85] #7605497 09/12/19 10:44 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I know that we hunted mule deer around Chama NM (actually east of Tierra Amarilla) on 20,000 acres of private land that butted up against the Carson NF with 3 gate entrances off hwy 64 that all had posted signs on each gate. We caught some guys way up into the ranch, got license plate numbers, a couple of us went back to town to call the GW (before cell phones), GW came out and talked to the guys (we held them at one of the gates. They said there weren't any posted signs, so they thought it was part of the NF. GW looked around, no posted sign on gate and cut them loose. GW told us it had to be clearly marked or there was nothing they could do. We later found the sign tossed in the brush about 30 yards from the gate. We put it back up and caught more guys the next day, same thing, sign was removed and tossed aside, they came on in. One of the few times in my life that I felt threatened since they were just riding around in a 4x4 pickup with rifles out the windows.

to add insult to injury, a couple days later I shot a huge 5x5 muley, 190+ inch (my dad thought it was an elk it was so big) across a canyon, took me about an hour to get over to where I had shot it. blood, bone & hair scattered across the snow. We tracked it a ways to a pasture road and found a body slide mark in the snow over to a set of tire tracks where someone had loaded up and taken my buck. Biggest deer my dad had ever seen and probably the biggest for me too.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: txtrophy85] #7605518 09/12/19 11:12 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
SOP for NM. I feel your pain.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Excellent Read about the "good old days" [Re: Creekrunner] #7613562 09/23/19 07:27 AM
D
Denton44 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Speaking of trophies, someone's constantly signing up for the "Cerebral Competition". 'Problem is, no other kids have any interest in it.

I'm happy you got that two fiddy back! Good for you. I know that's a lot of cash by your standards.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide