Print Thread
Questions about selling hunts #7611497 09/20/19 02:56 PM
J
JMalin Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
We ended up getting more MLD tags than myself and immediately family/friends can use in regards to the sheer amount of meat it would be and I’m exploring the idea of selling off some excess wt does, an axis or two (will be a target of opportunity as I can’t promise you’ll see them), and maybe a couple of less desirable wt bucks. This is a low fence property in the hill country, 460 acres with typical hill country deer. Not sure what the going rate is for a doe meat hunt or what a 100’+- wt buck would bring. The place has a cabin. It’s not luxury accommodations, but there is hot water, comfortable bunk beds, and it’ll keep you cool in the early season and warm in cold weather.

Would expect anyone coming to sign a liability waiver and couldn’t really handle a party more than 2-3, as I’m not comfortable turning people out to shoot a doe without someone sitting with them (me or someone else I trust). I’m a fireman that works a 48/96 schedule, so I can be out there for three days at a time easily and can trade shifts to get weekends off, when presumably most people would want to hunt. I guess I just need to figure out if it would be worth my while to bring people out. My concerns are that people would shoot the wrong animal, come back to the property after seeing it and knowing no one is there (trespassing and potentially poaching), wounding of animals, or any other bad things that can happen by bringing outsiders in. I posted in this section because it seems like the busiest place regarding outfitter traffic, the audience I wish to reach for insight.

Re: Questions about selling hunts [Re: JMalin] #7611519 09/20/19 03:27 PM
D
don k Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I usually sell Does for around $150. WT Bucks for $100 per point over 1 inch. BB Does for $200 and BB Bucks for $800 Liability ins. cost me $250 per year. Everybody and his brother are selling WT. To me your best bet is let the neighbors take care of the excess or see if you can find an outfitter you trust to do it for you. LF and if you have neighbors hunting it is amazing you have too many deer.

Re: Questions about selling hunts [Re: JMalin] #7611526 09/20/19 03:35 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
If you don't sell hunts, and get more meat than you and your friends can eat, you can always donate to hunters for the hungry.

Re: Questions about selling hunts [Re: JMalin] #7612024 09/21/19 01:07 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Not a $ maker at all but Texas Youth Hunting Program is a good way to cull some deer off a place and make happy kids.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Questions about selling hunts [Re: kmon11] #7612047 09/21/19 01:49 AM
J
JMalin Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
Originally Posted by kmon1
Not a $ maker at all but Texas Youth Hunting Program is a good way to cull some deer off a place and make happy kids.

Was considering that as well and may end up going this route as I think there are volunteers that will sit with the kids to make sure it all goes smoothly.

Re: Questions about selling hunts [Re: JMalin] #7612066 09/21/19 02:29 AM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by JMalin
Originally Posted by kmon1

Was considering that as well and may end up going this route as I think there are volunteers that will sit with the kids to make sure it all goes smoothly.

Guessing you own the property but someone once told me you can use that as a tax write off if so. Not sure how much truth there is to that.

Re: Questions about selling hunts [Re: JMalin] #7612190 09/21/19 12:59 PM
D
Deer Hound Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
We have been selling hunts to offset feed cost for years now. Make sure you get all the proper license in place before the first person comes on the ranch. There is a 75 dollar license you have to buy and have on display. Start a very detailed log book. May need to install a stationary walk in cooler if not game can only be field processed because it is not the final destination. Defiantly need the Covenant not to sue waver. Make sure your insurance is up to date and will cover you if something was to happen Don't expect other to treat your place as you would. I take a picture of everyone hunting license when shoot something. I would go ahead and reach out to your local game warden and ask him what he will be expecting or looking for when he drops in and you have someone there. Buy a good set of electronic ear muffs a pair for guide and the one he is sitting with it makes communication a lot easer in the blind when you are coaching someone on which animal to shoot or not shoot. Invest in a bunch of game cameras you would be surprised at what goes on when your not there. Most folks you can trust but it only takes one to ruin what you have been working on and building. and last but not least get ready to spend a lot of time tracking wounded animals.You are probably already using this but it make for a good log https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/per...mldp/docs/MLDP_Deer_Harvest_Log_2019.pdf I would suggest go spend some time on a ranch already doing this so you not going it to it blind its a whole different world PM or call me I will be glad to share what I can with you. Tom

Re: Questions about selling hunts [Re: JMalin] #7612900 09/22/19 01:59 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Q
PM sent

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Questions about selling hunts [Re: Deer Hound] #7616093 09/25/19 06:36 PM
B
buck wild Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted by Deer Hound
if not game can only be field processed because it is not the final destination.

I don't think this is correct, specially if he is MLD which the tag is proof of sex and the head doesn't even have to stay intact. If not MLD, the deer can be skinned and quartered as long as the whole head remains in tact with the tag attached to the meat.

Re: Questions about selling hunts [Re: JMalin] #7617403 09/27/19 01:23 AM
D
Deer Hound Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Skinned and quartered is field process. Even mld it has to be logged into a process log book before it can be processed or final destination. Talk to your local game warden get his advice on how he interprets it and go with that. We run a mld log and a freezer log based of what mine told me he was expecting we do have a walk in cooler

Re: Questions about selling hunts [Re: Deer Hound] #7618112 09/27/19 08:42 PM
B
buck wild Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted by Deer Hound
Skinned and quartered is field process. Even mld it has to be logged into a process log book before it can be processed or final destination. Talk to your local game warden get his advice on how he interprets it and go with that. We run a mld log and a freezer log based of what mine told me he was expecting we do have a walk in cooler

Gotcha- I was reading "field processed" to only be field dressed- my bad assumption. I've been running the MLD program on our place for 12 yrs and I have found the game wardens don't always know the fine print of the program smile

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide