Page 1 of 2 1 2
Where would you go? #7610699 09/19/19 06:36 PM
W
WreakinHavoc Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
W
Limited to 15 hour drive from Longview, TX... where would you go to archery hunt (preferably spot and stalk)

We are looking at Kansas right now... Does anyone have any experience going anywhere out of state?

I went to Utah a couple years back and helped my buddy shoot a STUD Mule deer, and he said I am more than welcome to go back and shoot one myself but It would cost a fortune to get the meat back down here so that is why we are wanting to drive...

Re: Where would you go? [Re: WreakinHavoc] #7611280 09/20/19 04:44 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Sounds like you need to nut up & go to Utah, bro. It’s a heckuva drive, but if you got a chance at a big mulie, better take it.

Just my humble opinion.

Re: Where would you go? [Re: maximus_flavius] #7611345 09/20/19 12:06 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
Sounds like you need to nut up & go to Utah, bro. It’s a heckuva drive, but if you got a chance at a big mulie, better take it.

Just my humble opinion.

Yep, good mulies are hard to find.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Where would you go? [Re: WreakinHavoc] #7611671 09/20/19 06:04 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
If driving 15 hours then just a bit more to get on to Utah if you have chance a big Mulie. Just do it

Re: Where would you go? [Re: WreakinHavoc] #7611697 09/20/19 06:42 PM
W
WreakinHavoc Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
W
This is the one we stalked for 28 hours I plan on going back up there when my son gets old enough...right now it's just not in question. [Linked Image]

This is the buck we shot 2 years ago... Watched and stalked him for 28 hours before getting a shot! He was super smart! Were only taking a week off, that's why we are wanting only one day of driving each way so we can spend 4-5 days hunting compared to 1-3

Gonna wait till my little boy gets old enough to go before we take the big trip that's why we were considering Kansas cause its around 8 hours to get there for us in the wichita surrounding counties.

Re: Where would you go? [Re: WreakinHavoc] #7611872 09/20/19 09:28 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Sounds like you already have your mind made up... Nothing at all wrong with Kansas! cheers

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: Where would you go? [Re: WreakinHavoc] #7611943 09/20/19 11:40 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
KS has just as big of mule deer if you can draw the tag. Good luck.

I get the drive, I love Idaho but 24hr drive is a killer.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Where would you go? [Re: WreakinHavoc] #7611962 09/21/19 12:02 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
I bowhunted Kansas quite a bit when I lived in Colorado. Big bucks and plenty of them. I had asked permission on some random farms out in the sticks and had family members fighting over me to hunt their place instead. I have a few tree stands hanging out there somewhere from a decade ago. I assume someone found them by now. lol

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Where would you go? [Re: Longhunter] #7612074 09/21/19 02:42 AM
W
WreakinHavoc Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
W
Originally Posted by Longhunter
Sounds like you already have your mind made up... Nothing at all wrong with Kansas! cheers

Yeah man we have put alot of thought into it and that's our best scenario... The guy I'm going with has a son 5 weeks older than mine so we're gonna wait a little bit then ditch the wives for about a week and half and go up there and try to smoke a big Muley up in the Manti Mountains... That's where we shot the big 204" Muley above ..

If you guys are ever interested in taken a class act guide hunt up in Utah/Colorado ( their ranch is 70,000 acres) they shoot TROPHY class elk.. the guy on the left in the picture above is a guide for them. His dad is the owner. Wild country outfitters... Mention my name (shoot a PM) and you might get a hook up

Last edited by WreakinHavoc; 09/21/19 02:45 AM.
Re: Where would you go? [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #7612080 09/21/19 02:47 AM
W
WreakinHavoc Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
W
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
I bowhunted Kansas quite a bit when I lived in Colorado. Big bucks and plenty of them. I had asked permission on some random farms out in the sticks and had family members fighting over me to hunt their place instead. I have a few tree stands hanging out there somewhere from a decade ago. I assume someone found them by now. lol

That's kinda the plan... Scout for a day or 2 and then try to get on one... If we have to ask permission from personal farmers bribe them with a bottle of high end whiskey or burb lol. I worked up in McPherson for 3 months a couple years ago and we did that for a goose hunt.... Canadas were everywhere, gave the guy some whiskey, and smoke some geese.

Re: Where would you go? [Re: WreakinHavoc] #7612087 09/21/19 02:56 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted by WreakinHavoc

That's kinda the plan... Scout for a day or 2 and then try to get on one... If we have to ask permission from personal farmers bribe them with a bottle of high end whiskey or burb lol. I worked up in McPherson for 3 months a couple years ago and we did that for a goose hunt.... Canadas were everywhere, gave the guy some whiskey, and smoke some geese.

From my experience, finding hunting land in Kansas isn’t the issue, getting the tag is. There are none left for this year and mule deer draws are difficult but great hunting

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Where would you go? [Re: txshntr] #7612096 09/21/19 03:16 AM
W
WreakinHavoc Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
W
Originally Posted by txshntr

From my experience, finding hunting land in Kansas isn’t the issue, getting the tag is. There are none left for this year and mule deer draws are difficult but great hunting

This ain't for this year... It's for next yeAr... We have turnarounds all throughout the 4th quarter of the year so we're trying to narrow down our search and make sure we put in for the right state...

Please explain this correctly to me... From what I gathered, you can buy a whitetail tag with no problem in Kansas, but it's the Muley that you have to draw for???

Re: Where would you go? [Re: WreakinHavoc] #7612103 09/21/19 03:22 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms

This ain't for this year... It's for next yeAr... We have turnarounds all throughout the 4th quarter of the year so we're trying to narrow down our search and make sure we put in for the right state...

Please explain this correctly to me... From what I gathered, you can buy a whitetail tag with no problem in Kansas, but it's the Muley that you have to draw for???

No, as a non-resident you have to put in for a draw. You have to pick two adjacent map units and if drawn can only hunt in those units. You also have to pick a weapon. A non-resident can’t hunt archery and rifle.

Just like most states, certain units are easier to draw than others. Mule deer tags are even harder to get than whitetail.

Re: Where would you go? [Re: txshntr] #7612105 09/21/19 03:29 AM
W
WreakinHavoc Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
W

No, as a non-resident you have to put in for a draw. You have to pick two adjacent map units and if drawn can only hunt in those units. You also have to pick a weapon. A non-resident can’t hunt archery and rifle.

Just like most states, certain units are easier to draw than others. Mule deer tags are even harder to get than whitetail.

A non-resident seriously can't hunt archery??? That's all I hunt...

Re: Where would you go? [Re: txshntr] #7612106 09/21/19 03:33 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

nidea I am sure that is a spell check error. whip

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Where would you go? [Re: stxranchman] #7612107 09/21/19 03:36 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted by stxranchman

bang My bad. Meant to say they can’t hunt both archery and rifle. If you choose rifle, you can’t hunt archery...basically you can only hunt with one weapon and it has to be chosen at the time of the draw

Re: Where would you go? [Re: WreakinHavoc] #7612108 09/21/19 03:37 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
And the spelling was just fine mr. stx rofl

Re: Where would you go? [Re: txshntr] #7612109 09/21/19 03:39 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

But you still made a mess flush flush flush out that post.

Re: Where would you go? [Re: txshntr] #7612111 09/21/19 03:40 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

bang My bad. Meant to say they can’t hunt both archery and rifle. If you choose rifle, you can’t hunt archery...basically you can only hunt with one weapon and it has to be chosen at the time of the draw

BTW.....I was not sure what the heck you were talking about. loco And I hunted Kansas. roflmao

Re: Where would you go? [Re: stxranchman] #7612113 09/21/19 03:41 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms

No doubt...but it made perfect sense in my head grin

Re: Where would you go? [Re: txshntr] #7612114 09/21/19 03:42 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

That was the issue.....major issue.... nuts

Re: Where would you go? [Re: stxranchman] #7612122 09/21/19 03:58 AM
W
WreakinHavoc Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
W

That was the issue.....major issue.... nuts

Huge one lol

Re: Where would you go? [Re: WreakinHavoc] #7612125 09/21/19 04:05 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
At least I tried rofl

Re: Where would you go? [Re: WreakinHavoc] #7612149 09/21/19 10:41 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
Tags used to be over the counter before going to a draw. It was more fun back then, but it is easy to draw most areas if I remember correctly.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Where would you go? [Re: WreakinHavoc] #7612535 09/21/19 10:43 PM
C
coachnomore Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
I found its easier and cheaper to just hunt my small hunk of family land. I live in Troup and work a bunch so the short drive is helpful.

God doesn't grade on a curve - do right at all times.
Lou Holtz
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide