Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7560297 07/19/19 07:33 PM
M
MacDaddy21 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
I absolutely love my Kifaru Fulcrum pack. I tried exo and SG from people in my area and Kifaru just fit me best. Hard to know what you will like the most unless you can load 50+ lbs in it and really try it out. I would suggest checking out the rokslide classifieds and if you can swing it, buy a few used packs. Try them out and re-sell what you don't like. If you need a shelter, seek outside makes awesome shelters with great features for an awesome price. No affiliation with any of these companies but I appreciate good gear. The SO shelters definitely offer a better value in my opinion, and they occasionally have blems and factory seconds for pretty substantial discounts. I haven't been able to find any visible blems on my Eolus that is a blem. I have the Eolus for solo/minimalist trips and a Cimarron for more room or trips where weight is less of an issue.

Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7571444 08/04/19 04:28 AM
S
SowHntr Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
Bear spray, and a grizz tag. If they would de list them.

Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7576666 08/10/19 04:16 AM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Mystery ranch packs

Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7589749 08/26/19 01:35 PM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
It's getting close now. we've had some good weather changes and just maybe fall will be here when you get up here.
I would be prepared for cooler weather at night and have some good rain gear.
You should look at the long term forecast, Looking good for you!

Re: Sept WY Elk Gear? [Re: tShawnB] #7609763 09/18/19 04:20 PM
T
tShawnB Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
All right, so the hunting was horrible. We were hunting due east of Lake Jackson along the Teton National Forest. The bears and wolves are bad and have the elk shut down and if fact saw as many brown bears as I did bulls. Guides were telling me elk numbers are down a third over just a few years in this area and it's getting worse. You could get elk to scream once or twice and then silence. We saw some 350 class bulls at a distance that didn't make a peep which is crazy for the 2nd week of November. I won't bow hunt this area again. Now for the gear. First Lite base layers are the best I have ever worn. Hell, I wear them around the house now. I will be using them from now on. The Marmot Screes may be the best pants on the planet, hunting or otherwise. They will be my go to for this type of hunting in the future. I did like the Sitka pants and Prana pants, but they don't compare to the Marmot. I'm buying several pairs just to wear everyday! Boots you ask? The Lowa Camino GTX saved me. These boots were amazing as I walked 20+ miles and road horseback another 20+ miles. There may be better boots but after trying them on at REI, I was sold and putting them thru the paces in WY thru dead falls, up mountains, thru bogs, rocks, etc... I'm sticking with them for as long as I can. The Sitka Apex hoodie was an every day wear. It's absolutely perfect for early season bow hunting. I used the Cabelas packable rain gear, can't remember the name, but it worked well, packed well and was light weight and for 150 bucks, I have zero complaints. Socks? Darn Tough, no others I wore compared. As far as the backpack, I went with the Badlands Superday and have no complaints. I'm sure there's other gear out there that's good, but I used Kuiu, Sitka, Prana, Farm to Feet, Black Ovis and others and these were the conclusions I came to. Now I'm off to Canada in November for a completely different kind of hunt for whitetail. Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide