Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hunting Traditions #7608528 09/17/19 02:34 AM
M
muleymaddness Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Curious to hear some of your hunting traditions. It seems that a lot of hunting these days has really been modernized with fancy leases, houses, fancy deer blinds, the list goes on.

What are some of the the things y’all do to keep it real and get back to old school hunting? These days, it’s hard to feel “remote” in any way at all. But there are still things that make it old school and keep it real. Me personally, I like cooking wild game in the field at the end of the day without using modern day cooking methods. I like a make shift fire and cooking meat over it. Breakfast after a morning hunt is always good. I like an old school thermos as well.

What about everyone else?

Re: Hunting Traditions [Re: muleymaddness] #7608543 09/17/19 02:57 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
All our old school traditions died along with the old days.

The ranch, old cabin, hunting with the same group of guys opening weekend, all went by the wayside. Just the way it happens with the passing of time.

These days, I just enjoy my time in the woods, however it comes. I can travel a bit and get as remote as I dare to venture or I can enjoy some great hunting within minutes of my house, both offer much needed respite from my day to day life.

One thing I have come to enjoy, is when i'm out in the wild, is cooking a breakfast with my jetboil and enjoying it while being in nature. Eating a hot soup just after sunrise being amongst the critters is something that brings a smile to my face.

I finally accepted that we are in the 21st century, and no matter how hard we try, its going to be almost impossible to create the times of even a few decades ago. We are often just one text away from being snapped back into reality. Fancy Side by Sides and 4 Wheelers have replaced old jeeps, beat up trucks and Pack horses and Mules. Even our camping gear has much improved....often times we can drag a travel trailer into our spots, others we stay in fancy lightweight tents and rest our bones over a portable air mattress after a days hunt.

it is what it is....to dwell on it would just make one depressed.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Hunting Traditions [Re: muleymaddness] #7608545 09/17/19 02:58 AM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Letzebissen. My family has practiced that tradition for many generations.

Re: Hunting Traditions [Re: muleymaddness] #7608556 09/17/19 03:09 AM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Another that I almost didn't think of is the clearing of the cabin/tent/camper. It's a crude sport to see who can cut the cheese so bad that you clear out everyone who is staying in it.

Re: Hunting Traditions [Re: muleymaddness] #7608601 09/17/19 04:58 AM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Blooding the hunter for a first deer kill. Lot of symbolism in it for me.
My daughters first kill (Impala Ram) in Africa earned her a face painting from our tracker.
[Linked Image]

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Hunting Traditions [Re: muleymaddness] #7608646 09/17/19 11:36 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
When it’s really cold and good hunting all day I like to pick a high spot with a north wind block for a “second camp”. I will build a fire ring and get a fire going and have lunch and warm up and reenergize while glassing for animals.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Hunting Traditions [Re: muleymaddness] #7608677 09/17/19 12:27 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
My wife is my hunting. companion and she ain’t kicking it old school. Truth of the matter is, I don’t have too much of a desire to primitive camp, or rough it at the lease. I leave for the morning hunt and return to a hot breakfast. She packs a snack for us when we leave for the afternoon/evening hunt and we come back to a hot dinner cooking in the crockpot. Our tiny cabin we built has many modern conveniences and is very comfortable for the two of us.

I guess the old school part for me is sitting in the blind or field unplugged and enjoying the great outdoors. Maybe it’s just me, but seeing the sunrise and sunset on a cool and crisp day in the field seems old school as well.

Re: Hunting Traditions [Re: muleymaddness] #7608685 09/17/19 12:44 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
A couple years ago I started buying a new Case pocket knife at the same hardware store on the day before Opening Day and use it throughout the season. Then after the season is over, I note what I killed that year on a small piece of paper and put it and the knife back in the box. It then gets put in my gun safe with the others so family members can have them after I'm gone. Hopefully, there will be a several that end up in the hands of my daughters or their kids.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/17/19 12:45 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Hunting Traditions [Re: Texas Dan] #7608758 09/17/19 01:41 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
A couple years ago I started buying a new Case pocket knife at the same hardware store on the day before Opening Day and use it throughout the season. Then after the season is over, I note what I killed that year on a small piece of paper and put it and the knife back in the box. It then gets put in my gun safe with the others so family members can have them after I'm gone. Hopefully, there will be a several that end up in the hands of my daughters or their kids.

That's really neat.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Hunting Traditions [Re: muleymaddness] #7608784 09/17/19 02:20 PM
S
Scott W Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I'm looking forward to marking my son's head with the blood from his first kill. The joke always starts out that they have to drink blood from the first kill then we "settle" on just putting it on their forehead.

Our traditions have always revolved around food. My dad would always make oatmeal before the hunt. The first season after he passed, we made a big pot for him opening morning.

Now we cook BBQ and throw a party Saturday night of opening weekend. Invite the landowners and their friends and we always include the game warden but he's never shown up. The one time he came Sunday morning, he took home lots of leftovers!

Originally Posted by Scott W
Re: Hunting Traditions [Re: muleymaddness] #7608809 09/17/19 02:50 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
At my age our fathers and friends from the “old school” are almost all gone and we lost our leases long ago. But I’m thankful for the memories. The only constant in life is change. I keep planning to tear down this old farmhouse we’ve been staying in for the last 15 years at our place, but I can’t bring myself to do it. Too many memories and good times there. So I’ve pretty much decided to leave it as is and hunt out of it my remaining years - holes, varmints, and all.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Hunting Traditions [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7608820 09/17/19 03:04 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
At my age our fathers and friends from the “old school” are almost all gone and we lost our leases long ago. But I’m thankful for the memories. The only constant in life is change. I keep planning to tear down this old farmhouse we’ve been staying in for the last 15 years at our place, but I can’t bring myself to do it. Too many memories and good times there. So I’ve pretty much decided to leave it as is and hunt out of it my remaining years - holes, varmints, and all.

[Linked Image]

I could see where tearing down an old house with so many memories would equate to selling a firearm first owned by a favored family member.

Like an old firearm, my bet is you'll continue to use and maintain that old house in its current, "as is" condition.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/17/19 03:10 PM.

Re: Hunting Traditions [Re: muleymaddness] #7608861 09/17/19 03:49 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
times have really changed in my hunting career ... started out with a group my dad had hunted with for 20+ years, the evening before the start of season, all the families would go out to the lease and have a big dinner. The area game wardens were always invited and usually showed up for the free meal. This was in the early 1960s, no modern conveniences and very few, if any, had any form of a 4 wheel drive vehicle, so when muddy or icy, we had to walk in to/out our stands. where we slept was unheated tent or small cabin, brutally cold to me as a kid and before any decent insulated clothing or boots. No nice blinds or feeders either. I really don't miss most of those inconveniences but do miss the great times hanging out around camp, cooking, stories, dominoes/cards and those people.

as far as traditions that I have continued, I have not missed an opening weekend hunting in 55 years, just something that I look forward to for months leading up to heading into the woods for an opportunity to be one with nature.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Hunting Traditions [Re: PMK] #7608874 09/17/19 03:58 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by PMK
times have really changed in my hunting career ... started out with a group my dad had hunted with for 20+ years, the evening before the start of season, all the families would go out to the lease and have a big dinner. The area game wardens were always invited and usually showed up for the free meal. This was in the early 1960s, no modern conveniences and very few, if any, had any form of a 4 wheel drive vehicle, so when muddy or icy, we had to walk in to/out our stands. where we slept was unheated tent or small cabin, brutally cold to me as a kid and before any decent insulated clothing or boots. No nice blinds or feeders either. I really don't miss most of those inconveniences but do miss the great times hanging out around camp, cooking, stories, dominoes/cards and those people.

as far as traditions that I have continued, I have not missed an opening weekend hunting in 55 years, just something that I look forward to for months leading up to heading into the woods for an opportunity to be one with nature.

Your comments bring back very similar memories of when I first started hunting with my wife's uncles, all WWII combat veterans, as a teenager. Her Uncle Ernest liked to say, "When the ground is all frozen, spewed up and cracks under your feet, them bucks will be walking."

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/17/19 03:59 PM.

Re: Hunting Traditions [Re: muleymaddness] #7608925 09/17/19 04:46 PM
J
jakebunch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Llike some, I am at the stage of life where the people I started out hunting with are not with us anymore or have given up hunting. I think Nog has the right idea about dong things now that will beome traditions for those that come behind us. There was another thread that relates to this one about the grandchildren taking over filling the feeders and maintaining stands, etc. The traditions will continue, but will be somewhat different than what we experienced. The most important thing is to continue to getting out there regardless of it is in a tent, cabin or camper.

Re: Hunting Traditions [Re: PMK] #7608931 09/17/19 04:51 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by PMK

This reminds me of one of the first ( deer camps ) we hunted out of in East Texas.

Stayed in an old office trailer ( no heat or A/C )that had been converted to a bunkhouse, no one had a 4x4 so every weekend someone or everyone got stuck, blinds were ok plywood blinds and feeders worked more often than not, but we had the crappiest clothing ever....pretty much consisted of jeans and long johns and a button up and a chitty wall mart jacket and uninsulated boots....losing feeling in your fingers and toes during the first 20 in of a hunt was common place. No one knew any better I don’t think, wool socks and gloves were unheard of, as were beanies, hoodies, etc.

I don’t miss those days at all, but I’m a way I was glad I got to experience them, so I know to be grateful now.

The only thing I miss from those days is the comraderie that we had. I’m sure others still have it but our heyday has passed when it comes to a bunch of guys getting together year after year and deer hunting

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Hunting Traditions [Re: muleymaddness] #7608970 09/17/19 05:23 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Never really had any traditions I guess.

We always went up the night before opening day and grilled steaks.

Hunting with my brother we would never pack much for meals and hope to shoot something and cook whatever we could, usually that deer/hog made it home without its tenderloins or a backstrap.

Now for the most part is just going with my family, occasionally we still sit together, lots of good memories made and shared hunting with my brother and our old man.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Hunting Traditions [Re: Palehorse] #7608983 09/17/19 05:34 PM
hetman Offline
"Trash Master"
"Trash Master"
Originally Posted by Palehorse

The Last Bite: The “letzebissen” or “letzer bissen” is practiced in Austria, Holland and Germany, and by some Americans. Valerius Geist, 78, of British Columbia, is a retired zoology professor and hunting authority who was raised in Germany and Austria. Geist says Germans break (never cut) a twig from one of five tree species in descending preference: oak, pine, spruce, fir and alder. With the animal placed on its right side, they pull the broken twig through its mouth from one side to the other and leave it clamped between its jaws.

I have seen this but never practiced it.

Some that we do on occasion:

1) blooding the new hunter

2) also new hunter gets a knife that is passed down - cant be a new knife has to be one the hunter has used in a hunt. I have learned the hard way to never pack a blade I Really Like when hunting with a unblooded hunter. So far has cost me 2 really nice knives that I would not normally give away.

3) Eating raw liver or heart - not anymore - But thin sliced live cooked in bacon drippings is the bomb!

[Linked Image]

"Lesser mortals are pitied for the misfortune in not being born Texan."

Re: Hunting Traditions [Re: hetman] #7609033 09/17/19 06:44 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted by hetman
Originally Posted by Palehorse

The Last Bite: The “letzebissen” or “letzer bissen” is practiced in Austria, Holland and Germany, and by some Americans. Valerius Geist, 78, of British Columbia, is a retired zoology professor and hunting authority who was raised in Germany and Austria. Geist says Germans break (never cut) a twig from one of five tree species in descending preference: oak, pine, spruce, fir and alder. With the animal placed on its right side, they pull the broken twig through its mouth from one side to the other and leave it clamped between its jaws.

I have seen this but never practiced it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Hunting Traditions [Re: muleymaddness] #7609046 09/17/19 06:58 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I hunted with the same group for many years and we started a tradition of sharing gifts on the first night of camp. There were 8 of us in the core group, so nothing really expensive in most cases, but some good momentos. One year, before it was easy to do online, I had aerials made of the ranch with the blinds/feeders and landmarks marked, then had them laminated. One of the group used the hides of deer he killed on the ranch the previous year, and had leather gloves made for each of us. We received knife sharpening kits, high end wrist rocket slingshots, caps, ammo, etc. It actually became a challenge to find something affordable that had meaning, and hadn't been given previously, but it was fun shopping and exchanging.

We are (mostly) still friends, but the ranch sold and the group kind of went our separate ways. Too bad, those great times are missed.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Hunting Traditions [Re: muleymaddness] #7609057 09/17/19 07:17 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Dalroo - that's funny you mention that...we JUST got an order to do some field maps, as an opening weekend gift for one of our clients to give to his friends. Super cool (and useful) gift.

I like the idea of gifts. Might start that this year!

We usually get some scratch offs at the gas stations on the way to the ranch, and if we win, we put that towards money for steaks, cold beverages, etc. One year we turned $20 in scratch offs into $200. That is not the norm!

We (3-5 of us) all take off the same 5 days every year for a guy's hunt long weekend. Have it in pen on the calendar for the wives. Ten years running, so far. During that weekend, we always light up the fire pit and do steaks and potatoes over the pit, and then enjoy some stogies and a good fire sit after we eat. One night during the trip we cook up some Herbert's chickens and their stuffed pork tenderloin.

Another tradition...if my uncle is there and one of us gets a deer, he'll do his famous chicken fried backstop for the group.

Edit: Yes, first kill always gets the blood on the face...

Last edited by Son of a Blitch; 09/17/19 08:50 PM.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Hunting Traditions [Re: muleymaddness] #7609105 09/17/19 08:32 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
When we had a corporate deer lease, it was my job to come up with gifts, with our logo on it, for customers. It was fun. Twice, in about 15 years and lots of repeat customers did a customer give us a gift, caps from their companies, but they meant a lot.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Hunting Traditions [Re: muleymaddness] #7609136 09/17/19 09:02 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Like others have stated, I don't miss the cold tents, cots, board in a tree for a seat/stand; but I do miss the deer camp poker games, cooking, and just general good times we all had before creature comfort features; electricity; rvs etc. We always had a large pot on the fire cooking a chili or stew; grate for steaks and burgers. Many a night under Coleman laterns playing cards and once we had a U.S. army officers tent with a pot belly stove. We could sit around in shorts playing cards with snow outside and the young bucks were responsible for being sure enough would inside for the night and stoking during the night. I woke up one night and that sucker was glowing red all the way up to the damper in the stove pipe. We just never were smart enough to put a pee bucket or pee hose inside.

Times have changed and have lost many good hunting friends; lost a couple of really good long time 20+ year leases. I'm not mad at the deer like I used to be but still love to sit on a ladder stand or simply an old chair on the ground backed into some browse. But, when that North wind blows and temps drop, I'll admit the new blinds with windows and heaters are mighty nice. It can just get boring looking at same feeder set up so I have still move around multiple ladderstands, lock on; and ground blinds.

Re: Hunting Traditions [Re: muleymaddness] #7609143 09/17/19 09:05 PM
W
Walkabout Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
W
PRANKS.....especially in the last week. Be some good ones.

Re: Hunting Traditions [Re: muleymaddness] #7610078 09/18/19 10:31 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Pretty much the same year after year. Stay up too late, drink too much, watch the last log burn up. Get up and wander to the stand swearing I'm never drinking again. Later that evening, back at the firepit, mixin' a cocktail. Good times.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide