Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: New Remington Rifles [Re: J.G.] #7607685 09/16/19 03:37 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
I have one Rem 700 action, and job one after building off of it, was to throw away the trigger.

The people that have told me of Rem 700 trigger malfunction are credible, and that is good enough for me. I actually trust ftiends and family of mine that have earned it. It is unfortunate that you do not. And Remington has had law suits on their plate for a long time. Where there is smoke there is fire.

I hope you do not have an accidental discharge into the heart or lung of a loved one, because you did not believe the "rumors". $160, for a replacement trigger is dirt cheap compared to that.

They should have used that last line in their commercials, remember them? Law firms were lined up to sue Remington and needed as many victims as possible, they were running commercials to attract them, that would have been a good one. If you flip the TV on you'll see commercials running non stop with firms looking for victims to represent against just about every medical product on the market. I say it wasn't about triggers just lawyers looking for a big pay off kind of like those that sued RJR. You either settle or drown in legal fee's, guilt doesn't come into play.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: New Remington Rifles [Re: KC] #7607704 09/16/19 05:15 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
There are an aweful lot of scumbag lawyers out there. I drive an 18 wheeler. Talk about a target for a scumbag lawyer. Cameras on my truck see everything except what is directly behind my trailer, thank God. Wish i had one back there too.

Still it doesn't mean claims are all false.

The xmark pro, I don't know about it. A buddy of mine used to have his own shop has built several 700's and he tells me he can't tell the difference in the new trigger or the old one.

Last edited by laid over; 09/16/19 05:17 AM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: New Remington Rifles [Re: HWY_MAN] #7607719 09/16/19 10:54 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN
I have one Rem 700 action, and job one after building off of it, was to throw away the trigger.

The people that have told me of Rem 700 trigger malfunction are credible, and that is good enough for me. I actually trust ftiends and family of mine that have earned it. It is unfortunate that you do not. And Remington has had law suits on their plate for a long time. Where there is smoke there is fire.

I hope you do not have an accidental discharge into the heart or lung of a loved one, because you did not believe the "rumors". $160, for a replacement trigger is dirt cheap compared to that.

They should have used that last line in their commercials, remember them? Law firms were lined up to sue Remington and needed as many victims as possible, they were running commercials to attract them, that would have been a good one. If you flip the TV on you'll see commercials running non stop with firms looking for victims to represent against just about every medical product on the market. I say it wasn't about triggers just lawyers looking for a big pay off kind of like those that sued RJR. You either settle or drown in legal fee's, guilt doesn't come into play.

Yes there are scumbag lawyers out there. But we circle right back to the topic at hand and I personally know people the trigger has malfunctioned for. And then you'll call them or me a liar, and here we are.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: New Remington Rifles [Re: 10 Gauge] #7607756 09/16/19 12:28 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Still it doesn't mean claims are all false.

Been using Remington's for hunting and competition for around 50 years, the most dominate rifle in bench-rest back then were Remington's. I've owned several and have competed against hundreds of them, not once did I witness a trigger failure, I witnessed some that had been backed off to far to reliably function which was entirely human error. I've seen several rifle and pistols that have been messed with by people who didn't know what they were doing or didn't know when to stop and ruined a functioning firearm. Like so many they are unwilling to admit their mistake and instead blame it on others (Factory). If you look at the history of the Remington trigger lawsuit you'll find one little nugget of information that's very interesting, they could never reproduce one of these malfunctions in court without tampering with the trigger adjustments. That didn't stop the lawyers they just doubled down and looked for more victims (Running commercials on TV, sending notices in the mail), Remington just finally gave up and settled with the owners get replacements or repairs. The lawyers walked away with pockets full of cash, a shake down even Al Sharpton would have been proud of! Remington was probably wishing they'd never introduced an adjustable trigger by the time that was settled, people just couldn't be trusted. When someone tells me that a untouched stone stock Remington trigger just managed to mysteriously go off, I just don't believe them. I've owned every model of Remington produced starting with the 721 and 722, built rifles off of 600 and 700 actions, not once was there a malfunction on my rifles or anybody's without human error involved. I guess what I'm saying is there are those of us who would rather lie than admit they screwed up, especially if there's money to be made.

Here's an example of just one way these cases developed.

The story is the father of Zachary Stringer, who shot and killed his brother in 2011. Like most firearm accidents, it started with stupid stuff. He loaded the gun to threaten the 12 year old brother. But he didn’t have good discipline with putting his finger into the trigger guard until he intended to fire, and he accidentally pulled it. It’s a sad story of course, and this was a dedicated hunting family which makes it even more painful for those of us who value families like that. If you troll some peer to peer download sites you’ll find the broadcast, should you want to watch it.

After Zachary was arrested and charged with manslaughter, The father testified at the trial against his own son, until he saw that the family could make money off of the death. Ultimately it’s all about money, and the “reputation” for the bad Remington triggers was just the avenue for one specific attorney to sell the family on the concept of going after Remington for damages in a civil lawsuit.

Last edited by HWY_MAN; 09/16/19 12:51 PM.

Re: New Remington Rifles [Re: J.G.] #7607761 09/16/19 12:31 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN

Yes there are scumbag lawyers out there. But we circle right back to the topic at hand and I personally know people the trigger has malfunctioned for. And then you'll call them or me a liar, and here we are.

Sir I'm not questioning your honesty, you openly admitted that like myself you have never seen a Remington trigger fail you're simply going by what you were told, but I do question the source.

Last edited by HWY_MAN; 09/16/19 12:43 PM.

Re: New Remington Rifles [Re: KC] #7607838 09/16/19 01:51 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
A little more about the problem gun situation I had. My Wife first told me that she was walking along holding it and it fired with her finger off the trigger. I didn't pay much attention but pulled and cleaned the trigger; then reinstalled. A couple of years later it happened to me. Once again, I pulled it, looked it over, cleaned it again and reinstalled it. Then I called Remington. They sent me a box and I sent it to them. The nice lady said that one of their gunsmiths said it was just dirty but they had installed a new trigger. I just needed to pay for the trigger. I did and they sent it back to me. I knew damn well that the trigger wasn't dirty but I don't argue with clerks. Later, the news came out about the number of incidents and the lawsuit over the guy getting killed by it. I trust the rifle with the new trigger but damn well don't trust any CEO or Corporate Lawyer.

BTW, never seen a black panther.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: New Remington Rifles [Re: KC] #7607841 09/16/19 01:59 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Leaving the trigger out of it, it doesn’t change the fact that their quality slipped in the past several years. Hopefully it’s making a comeback, although I’ll never be a Remington fan having a quality American made product on the market is never a bad thing. I’ll keep buying rifles from Finland, Salvage, Ruger, and Marlin for now.

On that note Marlin gives me hope for Remington. They went to crap when first purchased by the the Freedom Group, (actually a year before) but have came back to being a good rifle with a decent fit and finish. That can’t be said for all the acquisitions because several are still tanking. Bushmaster, NEF, and Dakota come to mind. That’s if their doors are still open. I don’t know.

Re: New Remington Rifles [Re: J.G.] #7608169 09/16/19 07:48 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
If I recall correctly it wasn't necessarily JUST the way the trigger is set, but rather a combination of trigger setting and the safety mechanism.

Somehow you could set it just right and pass the drop test, but if you put it on safe while cocked it could fire when you take it off safe. Not every single time but it could happen and I actually have seen it... on national television!

Adjustment may be user error, but if you can slam that butt on the ground good and hard several times and not set it off, but still set it off pushing off safe, that is a huge problem.

Last edited by laid over; 09/16/19 07:49 PM.

Re: New Remington Rifles [Re: KC] #7608176 09/16/19 07:58 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I tried to make mine fail but couldn't. But, when it happened a second time, I figured that was enough.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: New Remington Rifles [Re: KC] #7608630 09/17/19 10:39 AM
K
killen Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
a gun should never be pointed at someone and always consider it loaded

Re: New Remington Rifles [Re: killen] #7608634 09/17/19 10:57 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by killen
a gun should never be pointed at someone and always consider it loaded

Yes sir, I don't think anyone disagrees with you.

But if you built a rifle for someone, and it fired when the safety was pushed off, how would you deal with it?

Last edited by laid over; 09/17/19 10:57 AM.

Re: New Remington Rifles [Re: KC] #7609316 09/18/19 12:00 AM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by KC
Looking for a stainless/synthetic lightweight rifle and found a good deal on a Model 7 in .308. It comes with the Xmark Pro trigger. I've read horror stories and I've read that they've righted the ship and quality is back where it used to be. For those of you who have purchased a 7 or 700 in the last year or so, what's your opinion? I'm not interested in buying the rifle and spending another couple bills fixing anything on it.

OP, what I'd want to know is if the quality is back, how can you purchase a Remington and be assured it is a current production?

[Linked Image]
Re: New Remington Rifles [Re: KC] #7609414 09/18/19 01:40 AM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
My dad had a Remington 700 from the 80’s go off a few times. It was more like a hang fire, he would pull the trigger and it wouldn’t go off but wait a minute or two and bang it would go off on its own. Happened in the field hunting. Took it to a gunsmith and it was diagnosed as a gunked up firing pin spring. After that I took every rem 700 bolt apart we had and cleaned it.

Lack of maintenance was the issue in our case.

Last edited by redchevy; 09/18/19 01:41 AM.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: New Remington Rifles [Re: redchevy] #7609430 09/18/19 02:02 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by redchevy
My dad had a Remington 700 from the 80’s go off a few times. It was more like a hang fire, he would pull the trigger and it wouldn’t go off but wait a minute or two and bang it would go off on its own. Happened in the field hunting. Took it to a gunsmith and it was diagnosed as a gunked up firing pin spring. After that I took every rem 700 bolt apart we had and cleaned it.

Lack of maintenance was the issue in our case.

Common occurrence, even among custom actions. Sometimes some people put grease on the firing pin spring. I've seen grease in a bolt action be more trouble than help.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: New Remington Rifles [Re: KC] #7609582 09/18/19 12:33 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I always thought that was a bad primer or something with the ammo

Re: New Remington Rifles [Re: 10 Gauge] #7609599 09/18/19 01:00 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by laid over
I always thought that was a bad primer or something with the ammo

If you don't know how, there are videos on youtube that will show you how to easily take the bolt apart and clean it. A couple of our older ones were pretty surprising to see what gunk was in there, the newer ones looked like they had just come off the production line clean.

I have a family member that used to use quite a bit of grease, glad that seems to have stopped.

It's hell eatin em live
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide