Print Thread
New Hunter Looking for Advice #7605802 09/13/19 06:23 AM
J
JamesWS Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Im trying to get started hunting but I don't know anyone, Family or otherwise, who hunts. I Love the outdoors and shooting sports but have never actually been on a proper hunt. I've been considering getting the Texas Annual Public Hunting Permit and am curious what Yall's experience with this is. Besides that does anyone have advice for someone completely outside of the hunting community how to get out there, make hunting buddies, and go on great hunts?

Re: New Hunter Looking for Advice [Re: JamesWS] #7605806 09/13/19 07:24 AM
B
Booner1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
First things first, what area of the state are you in ?

Born to hunt and fish.
Re: New Hunter Looking for Advice [Re: Booner1] #7605810 09/13/19 07:48 AM
J
JamesWS Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Im in the Houston Area.

Re: New Hunter Looking for Advice [Re: JamesWS] #7605811 09/13/19 08:13 AM
B
Booner1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
The National Forest down your way will be your best bet, I think the annual public hunting permit is required. There will be deer and hogs in those areas along with rabbits and squirrels, if you get the APH permit you will get a map booklet with all of the public lands the you can hunt, what species is available and hen the season dates are.

Born to hunt and fish.
Re: New Hunter Looking for Advice [Re: JamesWS] #7605816 09/13/19 10:29 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
welcome Do you have your hunters education card yet?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: New Hunter Looking for Advice [Re: JamesWS] #7605818 09/13/19 10:34 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Start by asking people you know at work, church and any other organizations you interact with about hunting with them. If you don't have those resources YouTube is your friend.......there are many helpful videos about any type of hunting your interested in. It's very important to learn all you can about the animals you want to hunt.

The outfitters section offers guided hunts for all kinds of animals many that you can hunt year round. They would be a good first hunt to have someone experienced to guide and teach you what you don't know. It's very important that you practice safety and shooting skills before you go hunting. You will want to sign up for the hunters safety/education course offered throughout the state.

This site can help you as well, lots of good info and members that are willing to help.

welcome

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 09/13/19 10:35 AM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: New Hunter Looking for Advice [Re: JamesWS] #7605835 09/13/19 11:04 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
My dad taught me at a tender young age.
In your case, the best thing for you to do is go on a guided hunt. That way they will be able to show you and teach you hands on what to look for and what to do. They will do all the heavy work and show you how to do it.
A greenhorn first time out alone, I can't even imagine what that would be like, and it could completely turn you off to a lifetime of fun and excitement.
Things can go wrong very quickly out in the deer woods, and some degree of being a woodsman is critical especially in a national forest where every tree and trail looks the same.
Read, pay attention, and try to learn as much as you can, because even if you find a person who can help, you have to know their language, as they may assume you know what they are talking about.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: New Hunter Looking for Advice [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7605851 09/13/19 11:36 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Start by asking people you know at work, church and any other organizations you interact with about hunting with them. If you don't have those resources YouTube is your friend.......there are many helpful videos about any type of hunting your interested in. It's very important to learn all you can about the animals you want to hunt.

The outfitters section offers guided hunts for all kinds of animals many that you can hunt year round. They would be a good first hunt to have someone experienced to guide and teach you what you don't know. It's very important that you practice safety and shooting skills before you go hunting. You will want to sign up for the hunters safety/education course offered throughout the state.

This site can help you as well, lots of good info and members that are willing to help.

welcome

This and more, go to hunting expos or demos, talk to folks at Cabelas/Bass Pro/Field and Stream stores, etc., rural feed stores; like Pitchfork has suggested, the squeaky wheel may get some oil if persons can see your "sincere" interest and wanting to learn the recreation and passion for most of us...Good luck.

Re: New Hunter Looking for Advice [Re: DQ Kid] #7605916 09/13/19 01:39 PM
B
Bobby Hill Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
I was in the same boat as you about 7 years ago. I was 25 and wanted to get into hunting, but finding a hunting lease seemed crazy hard. Everyone
i knew that hunted was either on small private property or hunted out west Texas and was paying more than i could spend. Searching hunting forums and online sites yielded nothing but confusion or crazy high prices (or at least out of my price range). One day i put a simple request out on Facebook looking for an inexpensive lease and low and behold i had a hit. One of my friends from a previous job lived next to a guy that ran a least in East Texas. She gave me his number and the rest was history. I was on that lease for 6 years until the property sold after last season. This past year i had more than enough connections to find a new lease quick. I kept in contact with 10 or so members from the last lease and we all worked together. Its a little late in the year to join a new lease for this upcoming season, but finding a lease and getting on a wait list is what you need to focus on now.

Re: New Hunter Looking for Advice [Re: JamesWS] #7605934 09/13/19 02:02 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
You don’t have anyone who hunts that you know of is the way I read it

If that were the case, you may consider paying for a few doe or cull hunts with a guide

Then go from there

Re: New Hunter Looking for Advice [Re: Jimbo] #7605971 09/13/19 02:49 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by Jimbo
My dad taught me at a tender young age.
In your case, the best thing for you to do is go on a guided hunt. That way they will be able to show you and teach you hands on what to look for and what to do. They will do all the heavy work and show you how to do it.
A greenhorn first time out alone, I can't even imagine what that would be like, and it could completely turn you off to a lifetime of fun and excitement.
Things can go wrong very quickly out in the deer woods, and some degree of being a woodsman is critical especially in a national forest where every tree and trail looks the same.
Read, pay attention, and try to learn as much as you can, because even if you find a person who can help, you have to know their language, as they may assume you know what they are talking about.

What Jimbo said. I was brought up in the woods. Dad and I spent a lot of time out there either hunting, fishing or camping, so I already had lots of woods knowledge before I even went on my first hunt. Same with my boy. I would take him with me from the time that he could walk, so he already had general woods knowledge before he went on his first hunt. I would imagine being totally green and going out to public lands for the first time with zero help from someone that knows what they are doing would be super tough. You say you don't know anyone who hunts, but in reality, if you live in Texas, you probably do have a connection. You may just not know it yet. I like the facebook idea. You might be able to make a connection that way.

Re: New Hunter Looking for Advice [Re: JamesWS] #7605974 09/13/19 02:52 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Another thought...if you are already into shooting sports, sign up for some shooting competitions. Lots of people who shoot in competitions also hunt.

Re: New Hunter Looking for Advice [Re: JamesWS] #7606124 09/13/19 05:16 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
welcome sound advice above

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: New Hunter Looking for Advice [Re: stxranchman] #7606132 09/13/19 05:23 PM
J
JamesWS Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Yes, Sir.

Re: New Hunter Looking for Advice [Re: Jimbo] #7606135 09/13/19 05:26 PM
J
JamesWS Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Im an avid outdoorsman, backpaker, and angler. Im reasonably confident in my navigation and survival skills. Thank you for your advice!

Re: New Hunter Looking for Advice [Re: DQ Kid] #7606136 09/13/19 05:27 PM
J
JamesWS Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Thank you for the advice.

Re: New Hunter Looking for Advice [Re: Bobby Hill] #7606139 09/13/19 05:30 PM
J
JamesWS Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
I have looked at leases in the past but just the same as you I couldn't find any within my price range. Thanks for the tip ill give that a try.

Re: New Hunter Looking for Advice [Re: unclebubba] #7606144 09/13/19 05:34 PM
J
JamesWS Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
I've sent a message to an old friend and his father from school who I know used to hunt. Im gonna see if we can try and get together this season. Thank you I appreciate the advice.

Re: New Hunter Looking for Advice [Re: JamesWS] #7606145 09/13/19 05:35 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by JamesWS
I have looked at leases in the past but just the same as you I couldn't find any within my price range. Thanks for the tip ill give that a try.

You can find very affordable hunts in the outfitter section. Start out with doe hunts. They are cheap and great eating. Also dove hunting is relatively cheap and great eating too.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: New Hunter Looking for Advice [Re: JamesWS] #7606147 09/13/19 05:39 PM
J
JamesWS Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Thank you everyone for all of your advice! Y'all are amazing and i really appreciate the advice. Like some of you have said not growing up in the hunting community makes it feel kind of unattainable, but thanks to all of your great advice it feels a lot less out of reach, thank you!

Re: New Hunter Looking for Advice [Re: JamesWS] #7606426 09/14/19 12:24 AM
P
phathawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Maybe try a guided hog hunt. Ther are lots of them within a couple hours of Houston.

There's only 2 seasons in a year. Deer season and getting ready for deer season.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide