Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Hunting plans this year #7605265 09/12/19 05:43 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
So, we sold our ranch last November... ok, well. we sold part of it..heh.. the coolest part imo :P

We had 4 tracts and we built the new cabin on that tract and, as was expected, everyone in the world jumped on it and it sold in a month.

So, while we have electricity and the original cabin on the remaining 253 acres, I am not sure I care to go out there and stay in it and see someone else in my old cabin.. I know.. lol.. but, built that thing with a lot of sweat and work. The guy that bought it is a super nice guy, so we will see.

Anyway, they ran electricity from the old tract through one of the other ones, so now 2 of the remaining 3 have electricity.. so, doubt it will last long.

Debating what my next "hunting adventure" will be.

I loved owning my own place, just really was not a fan of the drama that came with it....

Leases are expensive as heck... and still have to maintain them.

I am debating saving up and going on guided hunts... I mean.. if you are going to spend money....may as well get catered to, right?

What are your thoughts on this?

Are guided hunts worth the money? I am not rich by any means.. but a good lease would run me 2-3k, I assume.. and then the work etc.. may as well pay someone and say, "take me to the animals!" lol

Anyway, just yakking.

I have a boat again, so plan to hit the water as soon as I get her a few more adjustments.

Erathkid and Pitchfork, you guys need to head to the coast with me next year and let's get some Snapper wink

Russ

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: Hunting plans this year [Re: JohnRussell] #7605275 09/12/19 05:49 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
American hunting guides have an extremely broad definition of, as you say, "catered to". It can run the entire gamut from really taking care of a client exceptionally well to "Hey, I'm just getting paid to find game. You're on your own for everything else."

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Hunting plans this year [Re: JohnRussell] #7605302 09/12/19 06:08 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I too have stepped back from spending many weekends throughout the year at a hunting lease and found a small tract where I can just drive up, park my truck, and walk to my stand. I sold my trailer to my son-in-law because I know he needs it far more than I do, and also sold my tractor and all the implements. I don't intend to hunt almost every weekend during the season as I've done in the past and will stay in a modest hotel when I want more than just driving up for a stand-alone evening hunt. I've also thought about going on a guided hunt but will probably opt for a turkey hunt since it's been so long since I hunted them when I had family living in Mississippi.

I really don't know if it was a matter of getting burned out on the sport and just wanted to refocus my time in retirement more on my wife and family. I do believe no longer wanting to be in the race for big antlers had something to do with it, which is why I'll probably look for a day hunt for turkeys next Spring.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Hunting plans this year [Re: JohnRussell] #7605313 09/12/19 06:21 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I hear ya Creek... heh.. I really only went along to cook for friends.. lol. I do not care to hunt much anymore. Let me correct that.. I do not care to CLEAN what I hunt much anymore.. lol.. but, I do enjoy the company and hanging out with friends. I think if that was all I did, heck, I would be good. I do enjoy, however, getting a deer once in a while and adding sausage to the freezer is nice, but I can go find local doe hunts all the time heh.

I think I will focus on that, plus dove and quail hunting. Who knows, maybe use that bird dog I have some day wink

I may also save up for a "hunt" once in a while for an Axis or something with friends....;)

R

Re: Hunting plans this year [Re: JohnRussell] #7605366 09/12/19 07:43 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Was at my place in Dickens county last week. Set up my feeders and mowed my access trails. As I am retired and not yet bored with my favorite pass time my wife and I will start hunting on the 28th of this month and be in the woods every day until the end of December. Hoping we don't see any shooters too soon as we are in a one buck county and we like hunting more than killing.

Re: Hunting plans this year [Re: JohnRussell] #7605376 09/12/19 08:14 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by JohnRussell
So, we sold our ranch last November... ok, well. we sold part of it..heh.. the coolest part imo :P

We had 4 tracts and we built the new cabin on that tract and, as was expected, everyone in the world jumped on it and it sold in a month.

So, while we have electricity and the original cabin on the remaining 253 acres, I am not sure I care to go out there and stay in it and see someone else in my old cabin.. I know.. lol.. but, built that thing with a lot of sweat and work. The guy that bought it is a super nice guy, so we will see.

Anyway, they ran electricity from the old tract through one of the other ones, so now 2 of the remaining 3 have electricity.. so, doubt it will last long.

Debating what my next "hunting adventure" will be.

I loved owning my own place, just really was not a fan of the drama that came with it....

Leases are expensive as heck... and still have to maintain them.

I am debating saving up and going on guided hunts... I mean.. if you are going to spend money....may as well get catered to, right?

What are your thoughts on this?

Are guided hunts worth the money? I am not rich by any means.. but a good lease would run me 2-3k, I assume.. and then the work etc.. may as well pay someone and say, "take me to the animals!" lol

Anyway, just yakking.

I have a boat again, so plan to hit the water as soon as I get her a few more adjustments.

Erathkid and Pitchfork, you guys need to head to the coast with me next year and let's get some Snapper wink

Russ

Book it my friend would love to. PM me to arrange a hunt with me on the Pitchfork this season. cheers

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Hunting plans this year [Re: JohnRussell] #7605378 09/12/19 08:15 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
We're in. Just say the word. If you want to go back down to hunt the old place I'm always ready. Talk to you soon.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Hunting plans this year [Re: JohnRussell] #7608633 09/17/19 10:53 AM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Thanks guys. I may head down there. I still have the old Blue cabin, a lot better than we had as kids and a heck of a lot bigger place lol (still have the back 3 tracts).. who knows. Right now, just working on getting the boat set up and working and outfitted.

PM me an email address and I'll shoot over some pictures of the progress, since this is a hunting forum heh.. and I'll coordinate with you guys.

As for hunting, if the place does not sell, let's set up some time when it cools off to head down and get an axis or something this year.

R

Re: Hunting plans this year [Re: JohnRussell] #7609120 09/17/19 08:51 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
up

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide