Page 1 of 2 1 2
Solar power for residential #7604216 09/11/19 04:30 PM
B
Big A Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Any one using solar power for their home.

What are you thoughts on it.

Originally Posted By: NTX_Hunter
"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun"
Re: Solar power for residential [Re: Big A] #7604221 09/11/19 04:33 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Better question is why and to what degree of independence are you looking at

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Solar power for residential [Re: Big A] #7604222 09/11/19 04:34 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Who’s responsible for the maintenance of the solar panels, life span, cost of insurance, etc? My wife’s cousin did it to her house about a year ago, I haven’t had a chance to chat her up about it.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Solar power for residential [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7604232 09/11/19 04:43 PM
B
Big A Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Just Looking at options. would like to be as independent as I can be with out breaking the bank so I think a battery storage is out of the question.

Where I am building I do not have a choice on power companies and just thinking long term if the solar would be a better way to go

Re: Solar power for residential [Re: Big A] #7604239 09/11/19 04:46 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
personally no but one of my previous deer lease owners built his retirement home on the ranch and put in full solar and rainwater collection/purification system. He said during the day his electric meter ran backwards from the solar panels and he got credit from the power company, his bill was virtually zero. Likewise, he only had to revert back to his well during the drought back in 2011-2013ish. Shooting from memory, the solar system was pretty pricey but he said it would pay for itself within a few years on electricity savings and credit back.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Solar power for residential [Re: Big A] #7604252 09/11/19 05:00 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Big A
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Just Looking at options. would like to be as independent as I can be with out breaking the bank so I think a battery storage is out of the question.

Where I am building I do not have a choice on power companies and just thinking long term if the solar would be a better way to go

You can off set costs with solar but to live off grid it’s a whole other ball game.

Biggest key is just building a very efficient home, and let unused energy sales be your pay off.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Solar power for residential [Re: Big A] #7604283 09/11/19 05:35 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A neighbor has it. I'm too old to ever recoup the cost.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Solar power for residential [Re: Big A] #7604294 09/11/19 05:45 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
A lot depends on your lifestyle and how primitive you want or willing to live.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Solar power for residential [Re: Big A] #7604314 09/11/19 06:04 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Last time I looked at it, though the math may have changed by now, the payout was about 15 years. That doesn’t work for me.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Solar power for residential [Re: dogcatcher] #7604320 09/11/19 06:11 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
A lot depends on your lifestyle and how primitive you want or willing to live.

My neighbor who has it lives just everyone else in the neighborhood. He's hooked up to the electric grid just like you and me. He accumulates points aka dollars.

He also has some type alternate heating and cooling system. They drilled several deep holes in his yard. Seems like it took six months to complete.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Solar power for residential [Re: Big A] #7604335 09/11/19 06:27 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
My sister just had it installed. Here is what the claim is... Her current electric bill is upwards of $350 per month, and the solar panels are supposed to cover all her electric needs on a monthly basis. When she has extra electricity that goes to the grid, she will "bank" that electricity with the electric company so that she can use it on months that the solar does not cover her needs. They will not pay her for extra electricity that she does not use. Her payment for the solar is only about $170 per month. Now that is all in theory. They just completed the install last week, so it remains to be seen if it works out that way.

Re: Solar power for residential [Re: unclebubba] #7604339 09/11/19 06:32 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by unclebubba
My sister just had it installed. Here is what the claim is... Her current electric bill is upwards of $350 per month, and the solar panels are supposed to cover all her electric needs on a monthly basis. When she has extra electricity that goes to the grid, she will "bank" that electricity with the electric company so that she can use it on months that the solar does not cover her needs. They will not pay her for extra electricity that she does not use. Her payment for the solar is only about $170 per month. Now that is all in theory. They just completed the install last week, so it remains to be seen if it works out that way.

Cost? That's one thing in ever got from my neighbor.

[Linked Image]

Re: Solar power for residential [Re: bill oxner] #7604387 09/11/19 07:21 PM
B
Big A Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bill oxner

170 for how many months?

Re: Solar power for residential [Re: Big A] #7604391 09/11/19 07:26 PM
H
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H

170 for how many months?

One thing that comes to mind with the "banking" the extra electricity with the electric provider would they have to pay delivery fee's for it? Since you send it to them to credit your account then you have to pay to get that credit back to you, I wouldn't be shocked if that's the case.

Re: Solar power for residential [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7604396 09/11/19 07:32 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock

170 for how many months?

One thing that comes to mind with the "banking" the extra electricity with the electric provider would they have to pay delivery fee's for it? Since you send it to them to credit your account then you have to pay to get that credit back to you, I wouldn't be shocked if that's the case.

Never heard of a delivery fee for electricity. Im sure you are still responsible for the minimum, I know my electric/water both have minimums if you don't use any you still pay x a month as long as you have the service hooked up.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Solar power for residential [Re: redchevy] #7604406 09/11/19 07:44 PM
H
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by redchevy

Never heard of a delivery fee for electricity. Im sure you are still responsible for the minimum, I know my electric/water both have minimums if you don't use any you still pay x a month as long as you have the service hooked up.

Here center point charges a delivery fee, it may be hidden somewhere on your bill.

Re: Solar power for residential [Re: Big A] #7604420 09/11/19 08:09 PM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I don't know anybody that has one. But I wouldn't want it on the roof just because of hail storms. I don't know how tough they are against hail. I could just imagine a scenario where hail doesn't damage it, but does the rest of the roof. But you need to remove it to replace the whole roof. And I guess you could replace roofing right up to it, but not under it. Lots of scenarios.

Re: Solar power for residential [Re: Big A] #7604489 09/11/19 09:10 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Electric rates will never go down. When energy prices go down they just tack on more "fees". Neighbors have solar. They love it.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Solar power for residential [Re: Erathkid] #7604509 09/11/19 09:25 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Solar is the future for homes. Like it or not.

Re: Solar power for residential [Re: fadetoblack64] #7604510 09/11/19 09:27 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by takewhatyoucan64
Solar is the future for homes. Like it or not.

I concur. I'd go solar if I built a new house but would not add it to my existing house.

[Linked Image]

Re: Solar power for residential [Re: Big A] #7604561 09/11/19 10:38 PM
L
Lazyjack Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
If you install solar, is there an impact on homeowners insurance coverge? Extra coverage for system? Change fire ratings? Weather liabilty?

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Re: Solar power for residential [Re: Big A] #7604574 09/11/19 10:53 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I think improvements will be made. I can see solar panels as part of the roofing.

[Linked Image]

Re: Solar power for residential [Re: Big A] #7604582 09/11/19 11:00 PM
P
phathawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
You cannot put electricity into the grid. That's one reason whole house generators diconnect your house from the grid when they run. Safety

There's only 2 seasons in a year. Deer season and getting ready for deer season.
Re: Solar power for residential [Re: Big A] #7604584 09/11/19 11:04 PM
U
Undercoverdog Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
U
I have a coworker that went solor on a house that was built in 2016, The house is about 2500 sq.ft.

He said the install was $30,000. He said that the elect company paid him $170 last month.

He also stated he was supposed to get $16,000 check from the us Government at the end of the year.

I asked him if that was a credit and he said no that,s a rebate. I Don't know but that is what he has told me.

I ain't got a dime but what I got is mine, I ain't rich, but Lord I'm free..."

Son,If I say sic em you better find something to bite.
Re: Solar power for residential [Re: phathawg] #7604587 09/11/19 11:07 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by phathawg
You cannot put electricity into the grid. That's one reason whole house generators diconnect your house from the grid when they run. Safety

I looked it up. I'll paraphrase.

They use an inverter. Solar power is generated via the solar panels as the sunlight hits your solar panels. The energy obtained is then converted into DC electricity, which is sent to your inverter. ... When your solar power system is producing more electricity than is required, it feeds the excess power back into the grid.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide