Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Jgraider] #7596390 09/03/19 02:43 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Jgraider
I went through some tests here recently. I have never worn glasses except to read, but at age 58 my vision has become slightly blurred, and have a very slight double vision at distance. I've always been averse to wearing glasses and/or contacts for some reason as I see them being a royal PITA.

They told me I didnt' have all that much to correct, but it would sure be nice to see clearly at distance again. The prices quoted here are in line with what they told me. I'm likely in the minority, but those prices seem like robbery for a 5 minute per eye process.

You would be doing yourself a disservice getting lasik at your age, the effects would be temporary due to the continuing changes your natural lens are going through as they slowly but inevitably develop cataracts (by your mid 60's). Anyway, if you wanted something done, a lens exchange would be much better, and possible using a multifocal IOL like the panoptix or tecnis multifocal. let me know if you want more info.

Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Slimpickin] #7596393 09/03/19 02:47 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Best thing I ever did. Don’t go cheap and get a doctor who knows what he is doing. It’s less painful/uncomfortable than getting a dental filling and is truly life changing. Best money ever spent.

Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7596625 09/03/19 01:44 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
I went through some tests here recently. I have never worn glasses except to read, but at age 58 my vision has become slightly blurred, and have a very slight double vision at distance. I've always been averse to wearing glasses and/or contacts for some reason as I see them being a royal PITA.

They told me I didnt' have all that much to correct, but it would sure be nice to see clearly at distance again. The prices quoted here are in line with what they told me. I'm likely in the minority, but those prices seem like robbery for a 5 minute per eye process.

You would be doing yourself a disservice getting lasik at your age, the effects would be temporary due to the continuing changes your natural lens are going through as they slowly but inevitably develop cataracts (by your mid 60's). Anyway, if you wanted something done, a lens exchange would be much better, and possible using a multifocal IOL like the panoptix or tecnis multifocal. let me know if you want more info.

Thanks for the info. I don't know what you're saying in that last paragraph, but I do appreciate your professional opinion.

Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Jgraider] #7596806 09/03/19 04:22 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Thanks for the info. I don't know what you're saying in that last paragraph, but I do appreciate your professional opinion.

Google is your friend, or at least duck duck go or some other search engine,

Lens exchange is where we take out the natural lens and place an artificial lens, we do these in some folks who want to be glasses free but are too old for lasik or have cataracts starting to form. A lens exchange is the same exact surgery as cataract surgery but we do this before cataracts are covered under insurance (as most of these patients don't have cataracts). The lens exchange takes away the need for cataract surgery in the future and typically stabilizes the vision going forward.

The artificial lenses we place in a lens exchange are called Intra-Ocular Lenses, or IOLs for short. They come in many varieties but we pare them down to single focus (only abel to focus at one area of vision such as distance, and then wear glasses for up close) or multifocus (where you have multiple areas of vision in focus without glasses). The newest multifocal IOL, the panoptix, was recently approved by FDA and corrects near, intermediate, and distance in each eye so you have glasses independence for all ranges except the really close stuff. These have been used in Europe, asia, and Canada for years and have really taken over the market for patients wanting this type of lens.

A lot more info, probably more than you wanted, but that's a start.

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 09/03/19 04:22 PM.
Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Slimpickin] #7597061 09/03/19 08:13 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Good stuff. I do not have cataracts, or any signs of them, at least that's what I was told. So these IOL's would negate the future need for Lasik? Sorry I know it's a dumb question.

Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Jgraider] #7597078 09/03/19 08:31 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Good stuff. I do not have cataracts, or any signs of them, at least that's what I was told. So these IOL's would negate the future need for Lasik? Sorry I know it's a dumb question.

No such thing as a dumb question in this arena as very few people outside the industry understand any of it.

The IOLs would negate the need for future cataract surgery for sure, sometimes we use lasik to fine tune the results from the lens exchange if the patient didn't heal up as we expect, so the IOLs don't necessarily negate the lasik need, but they may. Our rate of fine tuning IOLs with lasik is low, and is included in the cost of the whole thing, so you don't double pay if you need lasik.

Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Grizz] #7597142 09/03/19 09:38 PM
Mike W Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I had LASIK done two years ago and overall I love it. The only negative effect I've had is more issues with dryness in my eyes than before, but for what I got out of it I'm more than happy to deal with that. I don't get the starburst at night that some get. My only regret is not doing it sooner. I progressed from readers to regular glasses and wore them for several years. Some people can function just fine wearing glasses, but I'm apparently not one of them.
I had it done at Clearview in Southlake (Texas Buckeye, I believe) and I highly recommend them. The best piece of advice I can give you is if you get it done, listen very closely to what they tell you about recovery and follow their instructions religiously. I was told the number one reason people have problems after the procedure is not following instructions. [/quote]

Mine was done a couple of years ago as well, pretty much same results, less dryness and a little more loss of depth perception. I wish I had done it sooner as well, I use readers for the computer and phone, but I can see about a mile lol. I wore cokebottle glasses before the surgery.

This cannot be fixed at the voting booth.. Wake Up You Morons!
Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7602474 09/09/19 10:38 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye

Google is your friend, or at least duck duck go or some other search engine,

Lens exchange is where we take out the natural lens and place an artificial lens, we do these in some folks who want to be glasses free but are too old for lasik or have cataracts starting to form. A lens exchange is the same exact surgery as cataract surgery but we do this before cataracts are covered under insurance (as most of these patients don't have cataracts). The lens exchange takes away the need for cataract surgery in the future and typically stabilizes the vision going forward.

The artificial lenses we place in a lens exchange are called Intra-Ocular Lenses, or IOLs for short. They come in many varieties but we pare them down to single focus (only abel to focus at one area of vision such as distance, and then wear glasses for up close) or multifocus (where you have multiple areas of vision in focus without glasses). The newest multifocal IOL, the panoptix, was recently approved by FDA and corrects near, intermediate, and distance in each eye so you have glasses independence for all ranges except the really close stuff. These have been used in Europe, asia, and Canada for years and have really taken over the market for patients wanting this type of lens.

A lot more info, probably more than you wanted, but that's a start.

Thank you so much for this information, you are a mind reader also. I am in my 60's and in trifocals and have a slight haze starting. My eye doctor said it is like a day with a few small clouds, not worth worrying about at this time. When it is time I am hoping for the multifocus lenses.

Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Slimpickin] #7602966 09/10/19 02:35 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Dr. Whitman did mine 19 years ago but I was in my 20s. I was legally blind though probably. Still don't need correction yet! It's worth it when you are young. My night vision isn't as good anymore but feeder lights and thermals make up for it!!

Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Slimpickin] #7609512 09/18/19 04:56 AM
H
huntingag01 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Txduckman
Dr. Whitman did mine 19 years ago but I was in my 20s. I was legally blind though probably. Still don't need correction yet! It's worth it when you are young. My night vision isn't as good anymore but feeder lights and thermals make up for it!!

Didn't use Whitman but did mine 20 yrs ago @21 and legally blind. I think my contacts were -8.25. Everything is still good, but I can tell I don't quite see as good as I used to and notice it more at night. But worth it to not have to worry about glasses/contacts the last 20+ yrs.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide