Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What implements do you use, have #7600491 09/07/19 05:12 PM
Gringocazador Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
I don't have a lot of implements, just a 6 foot standard duty Shredder,box blade, 6 ft straight blade and grapple. I want to get a disc and may buy one in the next couple of weeks. The problem I will have is not going to being able to get Tractor, shredder and disc on my trailer at one time. Will have to shred on day then come back the next and disc. Its not that far, but still a pain to get a 50 hp tractor and 20 foot trailer down ruff logging roads. 50 HP Mahindra is a heavy tractor for its size.

My lease is timber company land, lots of pine trees but a few places for plots. I've been shredding and then drop the shanks on my box blade and kinda use like a Chisel plow which works but not the best.

Being new to food plots I'm trying to figure things out as I go using what I have. I mainly hunted South Texas and Mexico, it seemed to never rain so I never planted. My ex father FIL farmed thousands of acres of cotton and feed in South Texas, he taught me a lot, but he also had air conditioned tractors and every implement known to man. I'm trying to use what I can get on my trailer and get it to the lease.

I also need to get covering my seeds up figured out. I've tried to use two 3/8 logging chains nailed to a 2x4, that didn't work very well, was not heavy enough.

I have a couple pallets I though about putting together and weighting down but pretty sure stumps will tear them up.

Last time I planted, I ended up using my bucket, dragging it backwards. Slow but kinda works. I think I will get me a piece of chain link fence with 4x4s on each end. I can roll that up and get on my trailer with my Tractor.

Also thought about getting a Chisel plow instead of a disc, could get that on my trailer with my shredder at the same time but its not going to do what a disc will.

Just wondering what others are doing.

thanks, Billy

Thanks, Billy
Re: What implements do you use, have [Re: Gringocazador] #7602631 09/10/19 01:31 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I generally just disc, toss seed and then disc again

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: What implements do you use, have [Re: Gringocazador] #7602867 09/10/19 01:01 PM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I usually only plant wheat. I shred where I'm gonna plant, throw my seed with a 3 point fertilizer spreader on my tractor, and then lightly disk. It all usually work out great if I can time the rain and not get hammered by army worms. So my implements are shredder, fertilizer/seed spreader, and small disk.

Re: What implements do you use, have [Re: westtexaswatkins] #7602884 09/10/19 01:17 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I have the same tractor. Get the disc. Don’t let it too deep on the first plow. Tear it up, plow it again, then plow it again. The main thing is spreading the wheat, oats, and turnips. I rent a big pull behind from the feed store for $20, they load it with above and fertilizer and it shoots it 30’ in every direction. Then set the disc where it barely knocks the dirt over the seed. It works. Watch planting too early; army worms. Do not get a crappy disc. Pay more to avoid bearing problems. I would get one that has those standard 1” replaceable bearing gizmos. They are about $12 each.

Re: What implements do you use, have [Re: Gringocazador] #7602890 09/10/19 01:24 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
What is the opinion on disk vs. tiller for those with experience?

Ive never used a tiller, but after struggles with our disk in tight places and some hard ground it just wouldn't bust have thought about a tiller.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: What implements do you use, have [Re: Gringocazador] #7602894 09/10/19 01:27 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Sub contract out the initial root plow/chisel. Then you can get after it pretty good with a disc(w/appropriate weight). Grain drill or brillon type drop seeder are nice but not needed you can just use a spreader and chain or cattle panel.

You can do it with a disc (again with appropriate weight) just going to take a few passes.

I run 59hp Mahindra for about 80 acres of food plots.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: What implements do you use, have [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7602933 09/10/19 02:06 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Get a min 7’ disc that weighs close to 900lbs. A real small disc won’t penetrate the ground. You can adjust your links to put down pressure on the disc. Your tractor hp will not have enough power to pull a chisel. And if the ground is too hard, a chisel won’t go in the ground.

Re: What implements do you use, have [Re: redchevy] #7603155 09/10/19 05:26 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by redchevy

Ive never used a tiller, but after struggles with our disk in tight places and some hard ground it just wouldn't bust have thought about a tiller.

I used to have access to 2 different 3 point tillers (6' & 4') that worked like a charm in not to rocky of soil. Someone offered my dad too much money and he sold both of them without telling me until I needed again. That's when he found out he priced his too low. Anyway, a tiller will really fluff up the soil and makes it easy to use a drag to lightly cover up the seeds. It was a slow process as the tractors we had at the time hard to fun in low range 1st gear to spin the tiller fast enough where it wasn't pushing the tractor. I have considered buying a used one several times but even used they are stupid expensive for using as little as I need one.

Last edited by PMK; 09/10/19 05:27 PM.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: What implements do you use, have [Re: Gringocazador] #7603170 09/10/19 05:41 PM
S
spg Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
The one implement I need you can't buy, RAIN.

Re: What implements do you use, have [Re: Gringocazador] #7603173 09/10/19 05:43 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
bare min. a disc

chop it up, chop it again, maybe one more time for good measure

Re: What implements do you use, have [Re: cabosandinh] #7604101 09/11/19 02:49 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by cabosandinh
bare min. a disc

chop it up, chop it again, maybe one more time for good measure

yep, that is in my plans for this weekend at my own little place in central Texas ... game management wildlife plan and I put in 4-6 small food plots that add up to a couple of acres, black soil with honeycomb limestone rocks scattered in (even after picking them up for over 20 years, they seem to grow new ones) ... the soil is hard as the hubs of H3LL the first few passes (and then pick up more rocks) but usually after the 3rd or 4th pass it is broken up enough to plant.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: What implements do you use, have [Re: Gringocazador] #7604795 09/12/19 02:49 AM
T
TMonjure Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I use a chisel plow, a disc and then a cultipacker. Does the job nicely. Good luck everyone. Hope everyone has a good season. Be safe!

Re: What implements do you use, have [Re: Gringocazador] #7604820 09/12/19 03:17 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
After I retired, I sold my tractor and all the implements and will simply over seed a strip of rye grass at the edge of a pasture that borders a thick bedding area. You might say I've retired from high-maintenance hunting and plan to hunt less and travel more.

While I'm sure some guys dig even deeper into hunting once they retire, my approach has turned out to be just the opposite.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/12/19 03:19 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: What implements do you use, have [Re: Gringocazador] #7605753 09/13/19 02:42 AM
Gringocazador Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
When I retire, I hope to hunt more thats for sure. I couldn't see getting rid of my tractor, I use it for a lot more than hunting.

Thanks, Billy
Re: What implements do you use, have [Re: redchevy] #7605784 09/13/19 04:07 AM
S
Shotgun Willie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

We've had years where no rains made the ground concrete, and the tiller just bounced over the top of it. BTHO of the tractor and tiller both. At the same time, a disc wouldn't have done any better at breaking through the crust. Tiller is a lot better than a disc at getting into tight places, while the same size disc can turn 2-3 times the area in the same amount of time. The tiller does provide a smoother planting surface, generally.

Ideally, we use the disc, go back over with the tiller, seed and drag... but we rarely have the time to do all that. More often than not it seems like we're scrambling to get as much seed down as we can before a rain.

Re: What implements do you use, have [Re: redchevy] #7606175 09/13/19 06:18 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I personally think they are a waste of money for over 30hp, I’ve used some of the highend rated to 70hp. They come in to play if you need a perfectly aerated seed bed and don’t have the HP to pull a heavy enough disc or chisel deep enough. Then when you step up o the higher HP rated ones you have to be careful and pay attention because you have the HP to break one.

A big vegetable garden and smaller tractor = perfect

A fall attraction food plot- a disc is more efficient

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: What implements do you use, have [Re: Gringocazador] #7606190 09/13/19 06:42 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Tiller is also way harder on your tractor...

I use a shredder, disc, seeder then blanket harrow to cover

Re: What implements do you use, have [Re: Gringocazador] #7606214 09/13/19 07:30 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Sounds good, we will just keep going with the disk, when we get the rain it has been doing fine, especially since we started spraying plots before planting.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: What implements do you use, have [Re: Gringocazador] #7608494 09/17/19 01:50 AM
S
Stompy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Chisel plow, offset disc, spike drag harrow, spreader, batwing mower.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: What implements do you use, have [Re: Gringocazador] #7608547 09/17/19 03:01 AM
O
oldrancher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
As dry as it has been in Central Texas, we had to use an Athens Off Set going in a cross pattern across the fields twice. Then a disk harrow twice in a cross pattern. Then a 3 point broadcast seeder, and then a gate drag. We used a food plot blend with wheat, oats, triticale, clover, turnips and peas. Now we're waiting for the promised rain and wait for the promise of nature to do it's magic. If it comes up, I'll wait for the Army Worms to show up and fight them. If it rains enough to bring it up and then quits raining, watch it wither and die and all our efforts will be for nothing. That's farming. The good of all of this effort was my 16 year grand son came out to the ranch and put all of his time on the tractor getting the fields in shape and learning the what to do and why we do it. He could have stayed in town with his buddies and goofed off but he loves the ranch and loves to improve the pastures. I'm lucky to have him and the interest he has in the ranch; Of course the best part will be we get to hunt together and spend quality time during deer season sitting in the stands and watch the deer. I'm looking forward to that. It was a great weekend.

Re: What implements do you use, have [Re: Gringocazador] #7610554 09/19/19 04:05 PM
P
phathawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
On new ground I use a subsoiler to rip it up and pull out most of the stumps and roots. Then I disc and plant. Just the disc for the next few years to get rid of more stumps and roots. After a few years of this I disc and till with a tractor tiller. My tractor is only 25 hp so I have to go easy with it. This year I bought a cultipacker to finish it off.

There's only 2 seasons in a year. Deer season and getting ready for deer season.
Re: What implements do you use, have [Re: Gringocazador] #7610568 09/19/19 04:25 PM
Gringocazador Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
I thought about getting a subsoiler for roots and small stumps. I have one spot that has roots flush with the ground about 8 inches in dia.

Thanks, Billy
Re: What implements do you use, have [Re: Gringocazador] #7632014 10/14/19 12:05 PM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Between my farm equipment and gardening equipment I have most everything but one of those all in one seeders. I normally just disc it up a little, spread the seed and drag a panel with a piece of pipe on top over the plot. I have a 6’ tiller I use in the garden, but on hard ground it is not good, and you will feel every root and rock you hit. If you have a piece of hard ground you can’t work, odds are there is a landowner close by that has a chisel that will break it up. They would probably help you. I have a small 11 shank chisel I can pull with the Case 2294 and have helped some guys close by around here out for the price of a few beers.

Re: What implements do you use, have [Re: Gringocazador] #7639968 10/23/19 04:54 PM
JDP Ranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I've got a 6' disc, 6' cultipacker, and a Great Plains 3P600. Also have a bush hog, fertilizer spreader, and herbicide applicator.

First year using the seeder. I bush hogged, waited 2 weeks, and then sprayed round up.

Lack of rain kept the area I mowed/herbicided nice and clean. Came back a few weeks later to disc, cultipack, and then seeder.

Seeing a few posts here mentioning discing more than once. I regret not doing that this time around. The new disc chopped up the dirt pretty nicely, but there are some ridges that could've been knocked down with a second pass. This caused seeds to be deposited on the ground in several areas when the seeder wasn't level.

Before that I used a Plotmaster 400 on a smaller tractor. Results were good, but took a while to plant due to the smaller size. Pretty much did the same as the above except I used a cultivator to help with breaking up the soil and then disced several times.

Re: What implements do you use, have [Re: Gringocazador] #7640102 10/23/19 07:21 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I am not a farmer and have had mediocre results with my food plots - almost all because of rain (or lack of) over the past couple of years.

Last year I disced about 5 acres then ran over it twice more until the soil was mostly free of clumps/clods. Probably took me about an hour per acre to cover three times with my 9' double gang disc harrow. I spread several hundred pounds of mixed oats, rye, and winter peas (inoculated first) and then bedded the seed with a pass with a drag. We got a bit of rain over the next few weeks, and man, the initial results were impressive, but the rain kept coming to the point that the mix simply drowned.

In prior years, it has been the opposite. Good initial growth, then no rain and the plants wither. This year, work has been busy and it has been so dry, I just decided to forego food plots. Maybe next year.

Oh well, such is the life.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide