Hog Shot Placement #7601397 09/08/19 08:47 PM
G
Goodo Texas Boy Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Hello,

I am preparing for my first hog hunt Saturday.

I am practicing. Is the attached target the correct shot placement for hog to drop on one shot?

If not, what is best place to aim for hog shooting?

Thank you

Attached Files hog shot.png
Re: Hog Shot Placement [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7601464 09/08/19 10:02 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I have made all these shots, not always intentionally...

Those will all potentially work, but given that the hog is quartered toward you in the image, I would put my money on the low left shot. That looks to be a shot that if it doesn't connect with the back of the head (and it may not), then it looks like it should take out the spine.

The ear shot may actually pass behind the head and not do damage if you are off just slightly, the ear being located at the very pack of the head. If it connects with bone, it may do the damage needed via brain trauma from the destruction of the skull. Note that his is the thickest part of the skull where the neck muscles connect. You can actually have a bullet enter bone and exit bone and have it completely miss the brain that is located more toward the eye from that point.

The top of the head shot is going to hit only bone. It may kill the hog just fine, but that shot is not directly aimed at anything vital. It also may not kill the hog. Given how high your placement is, it may end up like this similar shot on a perfectly broadside hog (see attached pic) [Linked Image]

I have made the nose shot a couple of times. It is NOT a good shot to make. You may get a kill from hydrostatic shock (I have), but you may also have a hog dancing around and shaking its head trying to shake off whatever is getting it in the snout. At that point, assuming the hog isn't running away from the area, you have an exceptionally hard target to hit. DO NOT MAKE THIS SHOT.

Placement between the eye and ear at eye level (with head up), a shot you didn't make, would be a more ideal shot to make, placing the bullet to go through the brain itself.

---

Given that the hog head is quartered toward you, bringing ear shot forward by about an inch would be much more preferable. If the hog head was quartered away, your placement would be great.

The shot below the ear should work whether the hog is quartered toward you, away from you, or is broadside.

The top of the head shot with the head raised like this is not ideal at any time.

The nose shot below the eye isn't bad placement for a hog facing you, but isn't good for broadside shots. Whether facing you or broadside, bring the shot more toward and in the eye would be better.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hog Shot Placement [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7601514 09/08/19 11:01 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
"Placement between the eye and ear at eye level (with head up), a shot you didn't make, would be a more ideal shot to make, placing the bullet to go through the brain itself."

That's the shot I would make as well.

Re: Hog Shot Placement [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7601549 09/08/19 11:41 PM
D
Douglas Tipton Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Lower left.... 9 o'clock to the eye

Re: Hog Shot Placement [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7601773 09/09/19 03:29 AM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
I have made all these shots, not always intentionally...

Those will all potentially work, but given that the hog is quartered toward you in the image, I would put my money on the low left shot. That looks to be a shot that if it doesn't connect with the back of the head (and it may not), then it looks like it should take out the spine.

The ear shot may actually pass behind the head and not do damage if you are off just slightly, the ear being located at the very pack of the head. If it connects with bone, it may do the damage needed via brain trauma from the destruction of the skull. Note that his is the thickest part of the skull where the neck muscles connect. You can actually have a bullet enter bone and exit bone and have it completely miss the brain that is located more toward the eye from that point.

The top of the head shot is going to hit only bone. It may kill the hog just fine, but that shot is not directly aimed at anything vital. It also may not kill the hog. Given how high your placement is, it may end up like this similar shot on a perfectly broadside hog (see attached pic) [Linked Image]

I have made the nose shot a couple of times. It is NOT a good shot to make. You may get a kill from hydrostatic shock (I have), but you may also have a hog dancing around and shaking its head trying to shake off whatever is getting it in the snout. At that point, assuming the hog isn't running away from the area, you have an exceptionally hard target to hit. DO NOT MAKE THIS SHOT.

Placement between the eye and ear at eye level (with head up), a shot you didn't make, would be a more ideal shot to make, placing the bullet to go through the brain itself.

---

Given that the hog head is quartered toward you, bringing ear shot forward by about an inch would be much more preferable. If the hog head was quartered away, your placement would be great.

The shot below the ear should work whether the hog is quartered toward you, away from you, or is broadside.

The top of the head shot with the head raised like this is not ideal at any time.

The nose shot below the eye isn't bad placement for a hog facing you, but isn't good for broadside shots. Whether facing you or broadside, bring the shot more toward and in the eye would be better.

Thank you Double Naught Spy for the response.

Can you please draw on my picture the best area on the hog to shoot?

Thanks

Re: Hog Shot Placement [Re: Douglas Tipton] #7601774 09/09/19 03:30 AM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by Douglas Tipton
Lower left.... 9 o'clock to the eye

Thank you Douglas Tipton Spy for the response.

Can you please draw on my picture the best area on the hog to shoot?

Thanks

Re: Hog Shot Placement [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7601782 09/09/19 03:51 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
[Linked Image]

Re: Hog Shot Placement [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7601891 09/09/19 01:08 PM
cheetah577 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
[Linked Image]

+1

God bless John Wayne!
Re: Hog Shot Placement [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7601892 09/09/19 01:09 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
[Linked Image]

Thank you Double Naught Spy,

I appreciate you. I am first time hog shooter. I never took down a hog before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLfep4VE49E

I watched your videos and I notices your shots are on the shoulder as shown in attachment and the hog instantly drops.

I would like instantly drop shots just as you. My shots will be in day time

Questions:

1. Is it better to shot hog in the head or shoulder for instant drop shot?

2. What shots will cause instant drop of hog?

Thank you

Attached Files Screenshot_5.png
Re: Hog Shot Placement [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7601929 09/09/19 01:51 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Hogs are very resilient and can eat bullets better than most. Your goal is to do some damage to their nervous system. Clearly a head shot will do that. You also have the spine that extends from their head, down the neck to their body which is target rich.

Head shots are indeed the glamour shot, I just don't trust me. I aim for where the neck connects to their body via a line you can draw from their eye back to the upper shoulder area. Anything in that plane will generally have them DRT. Alternatively, you can break a back leg with a shot, that at least slows them down a little. smile

Good luck on your hunt!

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Hog Shot Placement [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7601954 09/09/19 02:12 PM
T
TKandMike Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
If you're looking for an instant drop then headshots produce that more often. Make sure your bullet has enough weight behind it and doesn't have too rapid of expansion. I shot a boar with a .223 53-grain v-max in the head, pig shook it off and started running.

I usually try to tickle their inner ear with a bullet, they really don't like it.

Re: Hog Shot Placement [Re: CharlieCTx] #7601956 09/09/19 02:13 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx

I aim for where the neck connects to their body via a line you can draw from their eye back to the upper shoulder area. Anything in that plane will generally have them DRT.

Good luck on your hunt!

Thank you so much CharlieCTx,

Do you have picture of this for an example please?

Re: Hog Shot Placement [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7601975 09/09/19 02:25 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I really encourage beginning hog hunters to resist taking head shots. And even for seasoned hunters to take that shot only when nothing else is possible (angle of hog does not permit).

Shot placement should be dictated by the angle of the animal and what (if any) obstructions are present.

The 'head' shot is usually taken for several reasons:

1. There is no other viable shot available.
2. The hunter wishes to damage as little meat as possible.
3. The hunter is using a sub-caliber and ONLY a head shot will work.
4. The hunter is not familiar with hog anatomy and has watched a lot of videos of folks shooting (and bragging about) head-shots.

Now....let me say, there is a time and place for head shots.

But your money shot (most reliable) for hogs that are broad side (or not quartering too hard) are the middle of neck and the middle of the shoulder or slightly higher (high shoulder shot). Either of these shots are also CNS shots and afford the most latitude of being 'off' a little and still make a telling shot.

The head of a hog is quite often a moving (or about to move) target. The area you need to hit is fairly small.

I just ask folks to 'consider' the situation before taking that shot.

Is the range reasonable, is the hog fairly calm/still, is the angle correct, is your equipment capable, is the shooter capable, will waiting a few seconds offer a better shot?

And lastly, use enough gun!

Attached Files Boar_Aim.jpg
Last edited by flintknapper; 09/09/19 02:27 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Hog Shot Placement [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7602006 09/09/19 03:10 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
And we should probably move away from the expression "head shot." The shot needs to be a "CNS shot." The head comprises all the structures forward of the axis vertebra inclusive of the cranium, mandible...all the way out to the tip of the nose, from the bottom of the jaw to the tip of the ears. The brain and brain stem maybe only comprises 10% of the head volume (on adult-sized hogs)for a direct impact shot and then you have maybe 30-35% of the head that will yield a confident DRT kill with an indirectly damaging damaging shot to structures around the brain and brain stem. That is where the bullet slams into bone that breaks and pieces of bone slam into the brain or brain stem without the bullet actually hitting the brain or brain stem. You may get lucky and end up with an indirectly hydrostatic shock kill that damages the neural centers, but hydrostatic shock isn't a consistent killer.

Flint makes some good points about not taking shots to the head region. He didn't state it, but quartering shots often give you more animal to work with, meaning the bullet will travel through more tissue than with a simple broadside shot, hence be more apt to hit more vital targets inside of the hog as well as doing more tissue damage in general (increasing the likelihood to causing a hog to collapse sooner if it is not already DRT). This is sort of like a bonus in that with just 1 shot, you can do more damage with a quartered shot than with a simple broadside shot.

Note the placement of the shots he posted. Both are basically at the vertical center of the body and of the neck. The VERTICAL CENTER is important because that will put you on the spine, or in the case of the shoulder shot, very close to the spine if not one it. He notes going slightly higher on the shoulder shot for a high shoulder shot, but an inch or two would be about it. A high shoulder shot isn't through the hump as that will just have you shooting muscle and the vertical thoracic vertebrae spines (aka spinous processes). Those are well outside the thoracic cavity and all the organs. That area represents the structures that support the neck and help the hog hold its head up, but are not vital structures for killing the hog.

The way he has the neck shot lined up is one of the bonus aspects I mentioned. The bullet should go through the spine, but because the animal is quartered away, even if it misses the spine, it should clip the back of the brain case...so 2 chances for a CNS shot with 1 bullet.

Re: Hog Shot Placement [Re: flintknapper] #7602104 09/09/19 04:58 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by flintknapper
I really encourage beginning hog hunters to resist taking head shots. And even for seasoned hunters to take that shot only when nothing else is possible (angle of hog does not permit).

Shot placement should be dictated by the angle of the animal and what (if any) obstructions are present.

4. The hunter is not familiar with hog anatomy and has watched a lot of videos of folks shooting (and bragging about) head-shots.

But your money shot (most reliable) for hogs that are broad side (or not quartering too hard) are the middle of neck and the middle of the shoulder or slightly higher (high shoulder shot). Either of these shots are also CNS shots and afford the most latitude of being 'off' a little and still make a telling shot.

The head of a hog is quite often a moving (or about to move) target. The area you need to hit is fairly small.

Is the range reasonable, is the hog fairly calm/still, is the angle correct, is your equipment capable, is the shooter capable, will waiting a few seconds offer a better shot?

Thank you flintknapper,

Yes, I am new. I only shot two hogs before (in the body) and then hog run away and I never found it. I am using 308 Salvage rifle and 168gr

Two questions

1. Why is middle of neck and the middle of the shoulder or slightly higher (high shoulder shot) important shots?
2. What does CNS mean?
3. If the hog is facing me and only see the head, should I wait til hog turn sideways to shoot?

Thanks

Last edited by Goodo Texas Boy; 09/09/19 05:01 PM.
Re: Hog Shot Placement [Re: flintknapper] #7602117 09/09/19 05:17 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by flintknapper

Thank you,

Yes, I need the most conservative shot (i still practice shooting). I may miss the head.

So on my picture, is the red box good shot location?

Attached Files Screenshot_6.png
Re: Hog Shot Placement [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7602130 09/09/19 05:28 PM
D
der Teufel Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
I'll chime in here briefly. I'm not an expert but I have opinions! duel

This photo has been around a few times —

[Linked Image]

Note that the spine doesn't follow the upper part of the neck. It's more in the middle. That's why the mid-neck and shoulder region is a good target.
CNS refers to a Central Nervous System shot. That is, one that hits the brain or the spinal column, thereby paralyzing the hog so it doesn't run and dies quickly.
I've taken shots at a hog head-on if the hog is reasonably still and I have a good rest (tripod, fence post, etc.) for my rifle such that I'm confident of my ability to hit the head. The aiming point will vary according to how low the head is. If the head is down I'll aim just a wee bit above the eyes. If the hog is looking at me I'll try to shoot between the eyes.
If I don't have a great shot (I'm farther away than I like) and want to be sure to put the hog down I'll shoot it in the shoulder. I line up with the front leg and aim about mid-body. That wastes some meat, but I always figure half a hog is better than none.

Your Mileage May Vary. Void Where Prohibited. I Am Not A Lawyer. All Sales Final. Objects In Mirror May Be Closer Than They Appear.

Actually, we all know there are no objects in mirrors, only virtual images …

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Hog Shot Placement [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7602165 09/09/19 05:58 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Hogs with a good rest and I like head shots. I like to shoot centered between the eye and ear horizontally and centered vertically between the bottom of the jaw and top of head. They will be dead where they were standing.

If you want a euro of your first hog head shots aren't a great idea. Neck shot, middle of the neck up and down and 1/2 way between front leg and jaw line.

All of those are assuming broad side hog.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Hog Shot Placement [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7602389 09/09/19 09:09 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I'd say bust 'em in the orange circle, to include other advice above, not so much in the head.

What caliber are you shooting?

[Linked Image]

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Hog Shot Placement [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7602423 09/09/19 09:44 PM
G
garyrapp55 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
G
between the shoulder and the ear

Re: Hog Shot Placement [Re: CharlieCTx] #7604141 09/11/19 03:27 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
I'd say bust 'em in the orange circle, to include other advice above, not so much in the head.

What caliber are you shooting?

[Linked Image]

Thank you so much CharlieCTx,

Great illustration, I will aim for here.

I am shooting a Savage bolt action rifle , with .308 caliber.

Soon I will buy a AR10 for quick follow up shots.

Re: Hog Shot Placement [Re: redchevy] #7604144 09/11/19 03:29 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by redchevy
. I like to shoot centered between the eye and ear horizontally and centered vertically between the bottom of the jaw and top of head.

Thank you redchevy,

Are you referring to here?

Attached Files Screenshot_7.pngScreenshot_7.png
Re: Hog Shot Placement [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7604417 09/11/19 08:05 PM
D
djones Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Goodo Texas Boy
...I am preparing for my first hog hunt Saturday...

ahh, those were the days. if i could go back and relive that first hog... well, never mind. my mind wanders sometimes.

my rule is: if you have a shot, take it. i've lost too may opportunities waiting for the perfect shot. sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't. if you wait too long, the chance can disappear. even if you have the perfect shot, you might be off a little. if anyone tells you that if you can't place your shot in the ear hole (or where ever), then you don't have any business hunting... tell them gfy. fact is, hogs have a funny way of deciding for themselves if they go down or not. if you're so excited that you can't hold the hairs on fur, pick a bigger spot.

i hope you feel the same excitement i feel. well, maybe not the exact same... i still get a chubby right before i pull the trigger. however, i'm fueled by 5 or 6 monster drinks, depending on how late it is. that may also account for some of my poor shots.

good luck and post pics!!

Re: Hog Shot Placement [Re: djones] #7604439 09/11/19 08:28 PM
D
der Teufel Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by djones
good luck and post pics!!

Yeah, post pics for sure!

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Hog Shot Placement [Re: djones] #7604674 09/12/19 12:43 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by djones

my rule is: if you have a shot, take it. i've lost too may opportunities waiting for the perfect shot. sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't. if you wait too long, the chance can disappear.

There is some real truth to this. I have hunted with people who refused to shoot because they "didn't have a shot" which translated to mean they didn't have a perfect shot that they wanted. Well, sometimes the hog will never be in the perfect position for the perfect shot. Sometimes, you are better off taking the best lethal shot presented to you instead of waiting for a perfect shot that never arrives. I, too, have lost hogs waiting on the shot I wanted to take, the hogs just walking off and leaving.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide