Forums46
Topics537,029
Posts9,719,582
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 35 of 44 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 43 44
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Blank] #7598159 09/04/19 10:19 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Blank
While elk hunting in a remote dark canyon, I was down in some lodgepole deadfall. I jumped off one and landed square on a bear trap, buried in the pine duff. A giant old #5 Newhouse with teeth on the jaws, chain wired to a rotted tree and the rest of the old cubby rotted as well. The trap was about a hundred years old, and had probably been set by a sheep herder in the 40's or 50's.

Lemme guess...it clamped around your nut sack. 'Heard that one.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: KWood_TSU] #7598173 09/04/19 10:42 PM
W
Whack n stack Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
Lots of reading material here. Kind of hard to believe all of it, but not sure how these stories could be made up either.
Especially when they find deceased bodies and have autopsy reports like they do.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re...ch_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/

some crazy stories in there! eeks333

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7598222 09/04/19 11:56 PM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Actually, when I hopped off the log and was about half way down, I saw the edge of one jaw of the trap. If it had gone off, I would have had a heart attack. Damn near crapped my pants as it was!!!!!

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7599493 09/06/19 02:02 PM
T
TKandMike Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Like others, found some arrowheads, remains of a couple old homesteads, one of which has a 25-30' deep cistern I presume for catching rainwater. Found old solid metal irons, a row of flowers that bloom every year in a perfectly straight line, I'm guessing where a front porch use to be on an old homestead. Plenty of old spoons, bottles, horseshoes, etc. Keep the horseshoes in my truck and haven't gotten a speeding ticket since, so I guess they have some sort of luck to them.

Posted these on another thread, but found some practice bombs I believe left over from training for WWII. They were about 0.25-0.5 miles from the old practice bombing target on the ranch.

[Linked Image]

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7599610 09/06/19 04:15 PM
S
Schpanky Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I think I've read thru this thread 10 times over the years....I'll hit 11 by the weekend....great stuff...just wish I had something unusual to contribute...

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Schpanky] #7599617 09/06/19 04:18 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Schpanky
I think I've read thru this thread 10 times over the years....I'll hit 11 by the weekend....great stuff...just wish I had something unusual to contribute...

Me too!

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7600854 09/08/19 12:12 AM
U
Undercoverdog Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
U
I was a kid and was visiting cousins in Arkansas, We were coon hunting one night at a place neither one of us had ever been.

Came across a pile of solid cannon balls about the size of grapefruits. We each took one and were going back the next day to get more.

The next day we couldn't find that place. He being the one that lived there said he had looked for that pile of artillery many times but never found it.

I had mine for many yrs but do not know what happened to it.

I ain't got a dime but what I got is mine, I ain't rich, but Lord I'm free..."

Son,If I say sic em you better find something to bite.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: KWood_TSU] #7600908 09/08/19 01:16 AM
T
Tw0fish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Lots of reading material here. Kind of hard to believe all of it, but not sure how these stories could be made up either.
Especially when they find deceased bodies and have autopsy reports like they do.

I don't mean to be a weenie, but r/nosleep is a forum for scary stories.

From the about page:
NoSleep is a place for authors to share their original horror stories. For a more detailed explanation of the subreddit, click here.
Suspension of disbelief is key here. Everything is true here, even if it's not. Don't be the jerk in the movie theater hee-hawing because monkeys don't fly.

Jordan

"It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them." -- G. K. Chesterton
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: KWood_TSU] #7601046 09/08/19 04:24 AM
J
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J

Man, imagine having a buddy read these and then throwing a stair case in their backyard!

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: jdk1985] #7601049 09/08/19 04:39 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by jdk1985

Man, imagine having a buddy read these and then throwing a stair case in their backyard!

Hahahaha, that'd be messed up.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7603063 09/10/19 03:58 PM
N
Nwernig Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
I really enjoy this thread and enjoy it when I get on and see there are new replies to it

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7604361 09/11/19 06:49 PM
donswin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Three years ago, I was watching a couple of my Mojo dove decoys and wondering if anything would fly by. It had been slow, but I was comfortable, the sky was clear and I was in the shade just staring at the spinning wings on the decoys and wondering how anything could resist them.

Then I saw a dark streak coming from the sky so fast I couldn't tell what it was. The next second, one of my decoys tumbled to the ground and a groggy hawk got up and started walking towards the other one.

I guess the one he hit was too tough.

I kick myself again for not having a GoPro capturing the action.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: donswin] #7604379 09/11/19 07:12 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by donswin
Three years ago, I was watching a couple of my Mojo dove decoys and wondering if anything would fly by. It had been slow, but I was comfortable, the sky was clear and I was in the shade just staring at the spinning wings on the decoys and wondering how anything could resist them.

Then I saw a dark streak coming from the sky so fast I couldn't tell what it was. The next second, one of my decoys tumbled to the ground and a groggy hawk got up and started walking towards the other one.

I guess the one he hit was too tough.

I kick myself again for not having a GoPro capturing the action.

Had the same happen with hawks and mojos, and have had raccoons, hawks and owls attack my fox pro when calling bobcats.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Nwernig] #7604385 09/11/19 07:18 PM
C
ccreyeder Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
some more that come to mind...

1: last winter I was doing some night hog hunting and lost the yoke/saddle off the top of my shooting sticks. Looked all weekend in the daylight for it, as well as everytime I went back. Never found it. This summer, about 7-8 months later, driving along one of the trails to go hunting, there it was smack dab in the middle of the road, in the middle of a red ant fire bed, plain as day! I must have driven over that spot a couple dozen times and never saw it before then. I wonder if the ants had somehow carried it to the bed? IDK... looked for a pic, but cant find it.

2: Same hunting lease, was doing some exploring one afternoon. Ive been exploring this place for over 10 years and still find new things. Anyway, in the middle of a grove of trees I found an old moss covered fire ring. I keep meaning to bring a rake or a hoe and dig around in it and see if I can find anything.
[Linked Image]

3: at a different hunting lease, stumbled upon an old well. Tossed a rock down it and it was pretty deep and heard water splash. Been meaning to go back with a large magnet on a rope and see if I can pull anything out of it. No sign of any house/building that I could see....
[Linked Image]

4: prob my most prized find wasnt while hunting. I was playing little league baseball as a kid in Pt Arthur. The little league field was close to a water way where ships would come into the refineries. Lining the bank were huge, square, granite blocks with gravel fill between them. Between games, I was standing on the bank and picking up rocks and seeing how far out into the ship channel I could throw them. I picked up this "rock" and just as I was about to let it fly, my brain said "whoa... that is not an ordinary rock" and so I didn't throw it in the water..... This is what I nearly tossed....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7604404 09/11/19 07:43 PM
S
SmallTownHunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I was about 13 years old and deer hunting by myself outside of Mineral Wells, Tx one morning and I came upon a group of deer. I stood there for a minute watching them and out of the corner of my eye I saw something weird looking in a tree. I walked over to check it out and it was a field mouse with a 3" mesquite thorn stuck all the way through his head about 5' off the ground. The mouse was not stiff so it had just been put there. Freaked me out and I got the heck out of there. Come to find out a bird does that, the Loggerhead Shrike. It impales its prey on barbed wire or thorns. Still scared me that morning though!

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7604441 09/11/19 08:29 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
what type of rock is that??? looks like flint that has been flaked ...

your picture of a well brought up a memory for me from a lease in Llano county circa mid 1960s. out in the middle of a mesquite flat was an old well similar to what your picture shows with several very large old pear trees in the area but no sign of any old house or foundation, barns, pens, etc. And the pears were awesome and was a built in deer feeder when the fruit started to drop. The well was fairly deep based on rock tossed in & listening for the ker-plunk into the water. There is no telling how many deer carcasses made their way into that old well ...

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: PMK] #7604475 09/11/19 08:56 PM
C
ccreyeder Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted by PMK
what type of rock is that??? looks like flint that has been flaked ...

your picture of a well brought up a memory for me from a lease in Llano county circa mid 1960s. out in the middle of a mesquite flat was an old well similar to what your picture shows with several very large old pear trees in the area but no sign of any old house or foundation, barns, pens, etc. And the pears were awesome and was a built in deer feeder when the fruit started to drop. The well was fairly deep based on rock tossed in & listening for the ker-plunk into the water. There is no telling how many deer carcasses made their way into that old well ...

PMK... it has DEF been flaked and worked. you can see in the 2nd pic where it is notched to fit some sort of handle. I keep hoping someday someone will be able to ID it for me. Im thinking axe or spear head.

For the well, thank god it had a wall around it. I've done some night hunting in that same area and man you could fall in there and never be found/seen again. A little scary when you think about it.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7604818 09/12/19 03:15 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
As many of you know, I’m in the land business. Due to the nature of my job, I get to spend a lot of time on different places. Many are just surface level encounters, only really setting foot on them to open the gate, but some I get to spend a fair amount of time on.

Two things that come to mind quickly:

We found a 1950’s era AMC roadster abandoned way back in a ranch in hays county. It had clearly been parted out and was missing both axles engine, transmission, etc.

The other day I looked at a ranch in the hill country that had a old chinkapin style house on it.

We took a stroll thru the house and it was pretty neat, stone and dirt floor, completely empty except for the urn of the original owner is sitting on the windowsill. Did some background on him and he had no next of kin. Hope whoever buys the ranch will honor his remains.

I’ve found some other cool stuff over the years, has some creepy things happen but those are two stories that come to mind at the moment.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7604825 09/12/19 03:22 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
One other thing I found that was unusual.

I sold a ranch down on Cherokee creek between San Saba and Cherokee.

Ranch has a older late 1880’s era stone house song the banks of the creek.

Down on the creek bottom there was a steel wagon wheel hoop that someone had thrown on the ground way back when, that an oak tree had gone thru.

It was now 15’ up in the tree

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7604875 09/12/19 05:54 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Not unusual but cool as I can't remember seeing an owl out there even though we hear them nonstop. Opening day last week on our place this guy landed next to my buddy. Don't see that happen too often. Someone needs to mow as well. Hell it being this green in September is unusual. Few years ago all those oaks would be burned up by now.

[Linked Image]

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Txduckman] #7605101 09/12/19 02:37 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Txduckman
Not unusual but cool as I can't remember seeing an owl out there even though we hear them nonstop. Opening day last week on our place this guy landed next to my buddy. Don't see that happen too often. Someone needs to mow as well. Hell it being this green in September is unusual. Few years ago all those oaks would be burned up by now.

[Linked Image]

It is very cool to see these guys in the morning light. A couple of years ago I was in a tree stand bow hunting when one landed on a branch above me. He watched me for a bit, determined I was most uninteresting, then flew away. It was a memorable experience.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7611351 09/20/19 12:10 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Not hunting related but, here goes. After my Grandparents moved to assisted living, Dad and I were cleaning out the drawers at their home, among other things. I came across a gold plated pocket watch that was given to Grandad by my Grandmother. It was polished smooth but the gold plate was worn off.

Seems she had given this to him as a wedding gift, my Dad explained. The watch had a picture of my Mimi tucked inside the cover. WW2 had just started and Grandad was shipped overseas. He got caught behind German lines on a recon mission. Knowing that anything of value would be stripped from him, he made a tough decision. He would hide the watch up in his rectum. The GIs were marched into a detention camp 20 odd kilometers away, a very long way to go with a foreign object up your tooter. At least he knew Mimi was warm and secure. After the fall of the Third Reich he was carried back to the states. He wasn't doing well, due to not going to the bathroom for weeks.

He drank Milk of magnesia and the rumbling began. He screamed, "Katie bar the door", as he lunged for the toilet. After the explosion and the smoke cleared, he came out of the bathroom grinning like a Cheshire cat.. he was holding 6 gold nuggets. Largest the size of a gumball, smallest the size of a "big Mo" #4 pencil eraser. Doctors told us later that the gold plate combined with heat and pressure had created a metallurgical alchemy not unlike that of a grain of sand irritating an oyster to create a beautiful pearl.

They used the proceeds from the gold to pay cash for their first home in the "M" street neighborhood of Dallas. Paid $4800 in 1946. The appraisal this year on that home is close to 500k. RKO pictures made a documentary about my Granddad called, "G I time traveler", the untold story of 'Choc' Sanders. Errol Flynn played my Grandpa. Anyhow, I can't wait to tell my Grandkids about it when they're old enough to understand. That man was full of metal, error, mettle, rather.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Erathkid] #7611447 09/20/19 02:03 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Erathkid
Not hunting related but, here goes. After my Grandparents moved to assisted living, Dad and I were cleaning out the drawers at their home, among other things. I came across a gold plated pocket watch that was given to Grandad by my Grandmother. It was polished smooth but the gold plate was worn off.

Seems she had given this to him as a wedding gift, my Dad explained. The watch had a picture of my Mimi tucked inside the cover. WW2 had just started and Grandad was shipped overseas. He got caught behind German lines on a recon mission. Knowing that anything of value would be stripped from him, he made a tough decision. He would hide the watch up in his rectum. The GIs were marched into a detention camp 20 odd kilometers away, a very long way to go with a foreign object up your tooter. At least he knew Mimi was warm and secure. After the fall of the Third Reich he was carried back to the states. He wasn't doing well, due to not going to the bathroom for weeks.

He drank Milk of magnesia and the rumbling began. He screamed, "Katie bar the door", as he lunged for the toilet. After the explosion and the smoke cleared, he came out of the bathroom grinning like a Cheshire cat.. he was holding 6 gold nuggets. Largest the size of a gumball, smallest the size of a "big Mo" #4 pencil eraser. Doctors told us later that the gold plate combined with heat and pressure had created a metallurgical alchemy not unlike that of a grain of sand irritating an oyster to create a beautiful pearl.

They used the proceeds from the gold to pay cash for their first home in the "M" street neighborhood of Dallas. Paid $4800 in 1946. The appraisal this year on that home is close to 500k. RKO pictures made a documentary about my Granddad called, "G I time traveler", the untold story of 'Choc' Sanders. Errol Flynn played my Grandpa. Anyhow, I can't wait to tell my Grandkids about it when they're old enough to understand. That man was full of metal, error, mettle, rather.

Great Story! up

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7611466 09/20/19 02:24 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Thanks, Mr T. I feel that it's important to pass these family stories down to each generation.

Don't text and drive.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7611472 09/20/19 02:29 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
I must admit though, this does run in the family. Once, after a hard night drinking "Goldschlager' with a lady friend, I woke up, ran to the toilet, and I kid you not. I chit a Kruegarrand.....Now Beaversnipe will be PMing me in 3-2-1....

Don't text and drive.
Page 35 of 44 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 43 44
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide