Print Thread
Texas reports #7596749 09/03/19 03:24 PM
L
Lotto Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
L
Wife and I drove from San Marcos up to the farm and back northeast of Lubbock on Friday and back last night... May of seen a dozen birds fling the whole trip Whitetail are starting to hit the feeders

Re: Texas reports [Re: Lotto] #7596854 09/03/19 05:31 PM
B
BluTwister Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Did not have the best opening weekend. In the morning we were placed in a plowed field near Burkburnett with nary of shade or cover. I was high man with 9 birds and without my mojos running it would’ve been worse. My brother had 6 and the gentlemen we were with who had no mojos had a pair each.

Of the estimated 30-40 people in the field the high man had 12 but he wasted about a case of ammo shooting at anything in site.

During the bbq banquet it sounded like many others had not faired much better in any of the other fields. The afternoon was not any better with 3 just more birds harvested as a group on a different field with no cover or shade in the same area. We called it quits early and headed into town for cold beer and AC.

One of the other guests at our local motel said their outfitter admitted that it would be a waste of time hunting Monday morning. The large storms earlier in the week had pushed/scattered all their local birds out. Their group of 4-5 were 2-4 birds short of a group limit. He was bummed they weren’t going to hunt Monday or going back out that afternoon. Their outfitter has a policy of not putting folks back into his fields for afternoon hunts if they are 2-3 short of a limit.

I miss the days where you able to work something out with the landowner himself for a season long agreement.

Re: Texas reports [Re: BluTwister] #7597029 09/03/19 07:45 PM
B
BluTwister Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
I guess what I'm trying to say is if you know the birds have moved out for whatever reason communicate that to everyone. Heck, you already have the deposit. Customers will always be back when you communicate that you have birds. I thought that was the whole point of going through an outfit.

Re: Texas reports [Re: Lotto] #7597077 09/03/19 08:31 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Even the worst day of hunting is better than a day without hunting, but man, in our area it was slim. Just very few birds flying. On Saturday evening, my pops and I were looking for birds while driving. In forty-five miles we counted a total of fewer than a dozen birds between 6:30 and 7:15. Maybe they'll move in soon, but it was kind of a waste in southern Brown County.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Texas reports [Re: BluTwister] #7597789 09/04/19 03:37 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BluTwister
Did not have the best opening weekend. In the morning we were placed in a plowed field near Burkburnett with nary of shade or cover. I was high man with 9 birds and without my mojos running it would’ve been worse. My brother had 6 and the gentlemen we were with who had no mojos had a pair each.

Of the estimated 30-40 people in the field the high man had 12 but he wasted about a case of ammo shooting at anything in site.

During the bbq banquet it sounded like many others had not faired much better in any of the other fields. The afternoon was not any better with 3 just more birds harvested as a group on a different field with no cover or shade in the same area. We called it quits early and headed into town for cold beer and AC.

One of the other guests at our local motel said their outfitter admitted that it would be a waste of time hunting Monday morning. The large storms earlier in the week had pushed/scattered all their local birds out. Their group of 4-5 were 2-4 birds short of a group limit. He was bummed they weren’t going to hunt Monday or going back out that afternoon. Their outfitter has a policy of not putting folks back into his fields for afternoon hunts if they are 2-3 short of a limit.

I miss the days where you able to work something out with the landowner himself for a season long agreement.

I'll hunt public land before I hunt with most "outfitters" . There are some that are truly good and they lurk here.....but I had a bad experience about 10 years ago with me and my 3 sons. $600 spent on opening day for a hunt on fields that had been, were and never was going to see birds that season. There was absolutely no feed in those fields. The "guides" were kinda nervous that morning I noticed. 75 hunters at $150 a gun......about 30 dove were shot that morning by all hunters.

And yes they blamed the weather lol. They should have been put in jail Imo.

Re: Texas reports [Re: BDB] #7597827 09/04/19 04:18 PM
D
Dove Weed Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Originally Posted by BDB
Originally Posted by BluTwister

I'll hunt public land before I hunt with most "outfitters" . There are some that are truly good and they lurk here.....but I had a bad experience about 10 years ago with me and my 3 sons. $600 spent on opening day for a hunt on fields that had been, were and never was going to see birds that season. There was absolutely no feed in those fields. The "guides" were kinda nervous that morning I noticed. 75 hunters at $150 a gun......about 30 dove were shot that morning by all hunters.

And yes they blamed the weather lol. They should have been put in jail Imo.

I am with you. I couldn't tell you how many times I paid to hunt doves and have either been skunked or killed 2 or 3 birds. Understandably things happen, like 15 years ago when I hunted a place near Olney. Came in the day before and camped seeing birds everywhere. Cold front came in overnight and nothing was flying so I cooked breakfast and came back to Dallas. However, there have been places where I have hunted where they collected your money and never came back during the day to check on you as if they knew there weren't any birds. Heck, never even saw a Game Warden because they probably knew and felt sorry for everybody...lol.

For the last 10 years I have either hunted at the deer lease or on family land. Sometimes there are birds.....most of the time there isn't. However I keep my money in my pocket and the drive to the family spot sure is a lot closer. Though I am itching to go to South Texas if the right opportunity presents itself.

Re: Texas reports [Re: Lotto] #7598151 09/04/19 10:06 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Slim last year near Throckmorton. Slim this year near Graford. Graford produced two years ago. That lease isn't very expensive, is season long, and allows my son to hunt free. It is Graford, though, and that has been slower since the fires. But two years ago we got 28 between two of us the third week in. I'm hoping that will happen again as the SFs age and turn brown.

I, too, am thinking of a second place down south. Either a day hunt or a season lease.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Texas reports [Re: Lotto] #7598179 09/04/19 10:50 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Se Texas where I’m at has been decent. Cleaned 36 birds the first two days combined. Lots of ringers the first day and quite a few immature mourners both days.

Re: Texas reports [Re: rickym] #7598182 09/04/19 10:59 PM
H
Huntmaster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
I just think it’s weird; I don’t know how to explain it. I never saw many young doves earlier in the year.

Re: Texas reports [Re: Lotto] #7599356 09/06/19 03:30 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Late to report. I was out at my Young county lease through yesterday. We did short hunts some mornings and evenings split with fishing. Hunted the edges of large sunflower patches. Plenty of local birds, but lots of places for them to fly and land with only two people hunting so I only shot about a half a limit each day we hunted. Our creek got stocked with big catfish that came up from the Brazos during the spring flooding, so I got sidetracked cutting the dove hunting short to catch fish. Most of our sunflowers are still green, so it should be a great setup for when the northern birds show.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide