Page 1 of 2 1 2
Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy #7598004 09/04/19 07:16 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
When I first started carrying, I wanted a small gun so I bought an LCP in 380 it was an ok shooter, but I wanted to pocket carry at the time and being a lefty I would always bump something and the mags would fallout. From there I went to a J frame, I liked the carry ability, but I really wanted more ammo. I then went to a sub compact 40 it was 9 + 1, and from there to a subcompact 9 that was 13 + 1. I went to the 9 to have even more ammo , other than that I like the 40 fine. I just wanted to put the progression of carry guns that I had tried, to to show where I ended up, and tell why.

Which brings us to where we are now. I've gone back to 40 caliber, but my 40 caliber loads are equal to factory 10 mil. Some people say handguns are all the same cuz that's what the FBI says, but when the handgun is the only available tool , and there is no backup coming, I personally feel that a little more power is a good thing. So now I've went to an almost full size 40, that holds 16 + 1 of 10 mm equal ammo. And as it seems that people I want him to have shootouts with rifles now, I'm considering adding an optic to extend the range. I hit pretty well to 50 yards now, but at 90 yards my accuracy needed some work and I think a dot will help. I'm going to do some testing over the next couple months before I decide to add the dot to my carry gun. One other thing on the ammo choice, my 40 caliber ammo equals Hornady 180 grain 10mm mm loads, at 100 yards that load has 400 foot-pounds of energy, at the muzzle Hornady produces no 9 mm ammo that makes four hundred foot pounds. So if I can get accuracy worked out, enough energy to do the job should be available from 100 to 150 yards. Obviously I'm not planning on having a shootout at 100 to 150 yards, but I always have my pistol and rarely have my rifle. This is what I was alluding to earlier in this paragraph about not being able to call back up or grab a rifle Etc, the pistol has to be as capable as it can be IMO.

Used to I figured any gun would be plenty, now I think more has to be asked of a handgun than I previously believed

Re: Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy [Re: RJH1] #7598017 09/04/19 07:31 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I carry a Glock 35 in 40 S&W both on and off duty. The 40 caliber cartridge does what I need it to do.

Re: Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy [Re: RJH1] #7598020 09/04/19 07:32 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
For a carry pistol, I wouldn't add an optic. Yes, it could extend out your range some. But in a CQB situation, if it's longer than 50 yards, I'm ducking and running for cover to shoot from. Sure, you could throw lead down range if you want. But, 50+ yards in a CQB is a long shot.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy [Re: ChadTRG42] #7598041 09/04/19 07:51 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
For a carry pistol, I wouldn't add an optic. Yes, it could extend out your range some. But in a CQB situation, if it's longer than 50 yards, I'm ducking and running for cover to shoot from. Sure, you could throw lead down range if you want. But, 50+ yards in a CQB is a long shot.

I am not 100% on the optic for sure at this point, but a lot of places I am it's really easy to get to 50 + yards with nothing around you, that's one of the reasons I'm considering it. If I go with an optic I will still use iron sights as well, because I don't really trust the optics yet. And option one for me is always going to be duck and run for cover :-)

Re: Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy [Re: RJH1] #7598048 09/04/19 07:55 PM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
The most important thing when it comes to CCW is being proficient with your gun and ammo. All things being equal if you hit what you are aiming with the dead guy isn't going to know the difference between .380, 9mm, .45, .40, 10mm or anything else. Dead is Dead.

The only reason though there are any 10mm loads at all that equate to your .40 S&W is due to the mamby pamby wusses at the FBI that couldn't handle a real gun 30 years ago. My 10mm pistols puts those 180's out at 1250-1350fps and 625-730 ft lbs depending upon load. So the equivalent of .41 Magnum performance. I consider anything at 40 S&W performance levels in the 10mm, range ammo. Alas all my 10mm's are too dang big to CCW with comfortably frown

So I do still either pocket carry a 9mm with modern high performance bullets or have a .45 on my side. It might be big and slow but it is by far my favorite of them all. Just something about those near half inch holes...I owned and shot .40's for awhile but at some point I went to the .45 side and never looked back.

I have some handguns with RDS, I'm very accurate with them - more so I think than plain sites...BUT it takes longer (I think) to acquire the target and fire than with regular sights (probably because I cowittness my RDS with the sights. Anyways, personally I wouldn't have one on a carry gun.

Last edited by Earl; 09/04/19 07:57 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy [Re: RJH1] #7598050 09/04/19 07:56 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Well, set up your CCW how you would use it. I also like to keep my AR pistol in 300 blk out handy. That is the perfect weapon, IMO. But that's a truck gun, not a CCW on you.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy [Re: RJH1] #7598053 09/04/19 08:01 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Another thing to think about is moisture on the optic. I have seen several of the small handgun mounted optics not be functional due to moisture on the glass being wet. The image refracts and causes many red dots in all the moisture spots on the optic. So, I don't consider an optic on a pistol 100% in all adverse conditions.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy [Re: Earl] #7598056 09/04/19 08:04 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Earl
The most important thing when it comes to CCW is being proficient with your gun and ammo. All things being equal if you hit what you are aiming with the dead guy isn't going to know the difference between .380, 9mm, .45, .40, 10mm or anything else. Dead is Dead.

The only reason though there are any 10mm loads at all that equate to your .40 S&W is due to the mamby pamby wusses at the FBI that couldn't handle a real gun 30 years ago. My 10mm pistols puts those 180's out at 1250-1350fps and 625-730 ft lbs depending upon load. So the equivalent of .41 Magnum performance. I consider anything at 40 S&W performance levels in the 10mm, range ammo. Alas all my 10mm's are too dang big to CCW with comfortably frown

So I do still either pocket carry a 9mm with modern high performance bullets or have a .45 on my side. It might be big and slow but it is by far my favorite of them all. Just something about those near half inch holes...I owned and shot .40's for awhile but at some point I went to the .45 side and never looked back.

I have some handguns with RDS, I'm very accurate with them - more so I think than plain sites...BUT it takes longer (I think) to acquire the target and fire than with regular sights (probably because I cowittness my RDS with the sights. Anyways, personally I wouldn't have one on a carry gun.

The 40 load I use is 180 grains and 1225 foot per second out of a 5-inch gun and 1150 out of a 4-inch gun. And according to Lucky Gunner, when they shoot Hornady 180 grain out of a Glock 10 mm, the velocity is pretty much identical to my 40 loads. That 10 millimeter and my 40 loads are about 200 feet per second faster than standard 40 loads. I know the 10 mm can be loaded little hotter, but like you said you can't get one in a smaller frame gun, so it's 40 for me :-)

Last edited by RJH1; 09/04/19 08:09 PM.
Re: Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy [Re: RJH1] #7598059 09/04/19 08:07 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
If the FBI really believed that, they would not have a rigid set of criteria for what they carry. A bigger, deeper wound is always better than a smaller, shallower one. I agree with you 100%, as much ammo as you can realistically carry and as much power as you can handle well in a pistol.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy [Re: ChadTRG42] #7598060 09/04/19 08:08 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
Another thing to think about is moisture on the optic. I have seen several of the small handgun mounted optics not be functional due to moisture on the glass being wet. The image refracts and causes many red dots in all the moisture spots on the optic. So, I don't consider an optic on a pistol 100% in all adverse conditions.

Glad you brought that up. I've seen that happen in the past but had forgotten about it. I've got a sliderider red dot on one of my competition guns and I'm going to continue to work with it, but the optic may not be the the way to go for my carry gun. I was looking at 1 guys today at a gun store and it was covered in grime and such, so that's another thing that would have to be considered.

Re: Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy [Re: RJH1] #7598061 09/04/19 08:08 PM
S
supersixfour Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Odds are any confrontation is going to be up close and personal and you won't even have time to line up your sights, just point and get your shot off.
I've gone the other way, I started off years ago with a high capacity 9mm with nice aftermarket sights and have gone progressively smaller and simpler for convenience and portability.
Now I'm down to a pocket size .380 with whatever sights it came with. I'll stay at that size for the foreseeable future.
All i need is reasonable accuracy and for it to go bang every time.

NRA Life Member

Re: Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy [Re: supersixfour] #7598063 09/04/19 08:11 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by supersixfour
Odds are any confrontation is going to be up close and personal and you won't even have time to line up your sights, just point and get your shot off.
I've gone the other way, I started off years ago with a high capacity 9mm with nice aftermarket sights and have gone progressively smaller and simpler for convenience and portability.
Now I'm down to a pocket size .380 with whatever sights it came with. I'll stay at that size for the foreseeable future.

Right, I don't disagree with any of that, but I'm just decided since I'm going to be limited to a pistol, I'm going to carry the most capable one I can. It's not going to hurt me in a close in scenario, but could definitely help if the ranges are increased.

Re: Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy [Re: RJH1] #7598074 09/04/19 08:19 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I think the correct answer is to carry an underfolder AK under a trench coat at all times.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy [Re: RJH1] #7598107 09/04/19 09:07 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I not as worried about getting into one of those mass shooting events with some kook with an AK as I am the punk kid who decides to hold up the 7-11 while I'm getting a Slurpee or tries to jack my ride while I'm filling up at the pump. Those are the types of situations I try to equip myself for.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy [Re: Texan Til I Die] #7598114 09/04/19 09:13 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
I not as worried about getting into one of those mass shooting events with some kook with an AK as I am the punk kid who decides to hold up the 7-11 while I'm getting a Slurpee or tries to jack my ride while I'm filling up at the pump. Those are the types of situations I try to equip myself for.

Right, nothing wrong with that either, and something like that is probably much more likely to happen . The approach I'm taking just happens to be good for both situations, and the only thing I actually give up is a little bit of ease in carry, but it's not too bad

Re: Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy [Re: RJH1] #7598298 09/05/19 01:00 AM
H
HandgunHTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Here is my take. If you have 100-150 yards between you and the person doing the shooting, you have more than enough space to get behind cover and settle in. If, during the situation, the shooter closes the distance to pistol ranges (within 10-20 yards) then you have the advantage of cover and surprise and can end it quickly.
Lobbing bullets at that range with a handgun will only cause issues, legal and otherwise. Most people can hardly keep the shots in center mass when in close quarters. Trying to engage a rifle shooter at those distances is just a pipe dream.

Yes, I know about that cop that made a headshot in Austin, I believe, but he got lucky and he won't go to jail if his bullet hits a bystander. You don't have that luxury.

So, I would recommend going with something a bit more manageable that you will practice with at length.

#FighttheNoise
Re: Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy [Re: RJH1] #7598472 09/05/19 11:24 AM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
Keep in mind, your gun is only a tool to allow you to get to your rifle!

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy [Re: supersixfour] #7598548 09/05/19 01:02 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by supersixfour

That's been my approach as well. I don't want something that might encourage me to end up spraying bullets at more distant, unintended targets.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy [Re: RJH1] #7598568 09/05/19 01:18 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Couple of things, even at 100 yards i am not "spraying bullets" with a pistol, some of yall might be, but i am not. Also something that has been made clear and is the reason for my shift in philosophy is that we don't get to pick where any of these events will take place, so being prepared as possible makes sense. There has always been a fallacy of thought that if a person can hit a target at 7 or so yards with a pistol, that is good enough, i have never agreed with that line of thinking. 50 yards is not really an issue for me now, pushing to 100 reliably is the next step. I do think i have changed my mind on the optics however and will move forward with irons.

Re: Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy [Re: Superduty] #7598591 09/05/19 01:43 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Superduty

^^This

And, if I could go back in time, and start over, I wouldn't be so .45 ACP heavy. I carry the pistol that is comfortable, because if it is not comfortable a person won't carry. In my case, it is an XDs in .45 ACP. A good friend of mine is a 24 year veteran Police officer, Lieutenant now. He nerds out on every project he takes on. He emailed me several documents two years ago. Long story short, Speer Gold Dot in every cartridge tested did a great job. So, in the end, you might as well carry the pistol that holds lots of ammo, that being the 9mm. And keep it comfortable to carry, and one you shoot well. From person to person, that may involve borrowing or renting several pistols.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy [Re: J.G.] #7598619 09/05/19 02:01 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

^^This

And, if I could go back in time, and start over, I wouldn't be so .45 ACP heavy. I carry the pistol that is comfortable, because if it is not comfortable a person won't carry. In my case, it is an XDs in .45 ACP. A good friend of mine is a 24 year veteran Police officer, Lieutenant now. He nerds out on every project he takes on. He emailed me several documents two years ago. Long story short, Speer Gold Dot in every cartridge tested did a great job. So, in the end, you might as well carry the pistol that holds lots of ammo, that being the 9mm. And keep it comfortable to carry, and one you shoot well. From person to person, that may involve borrowing or renting several pistols.

1. The pistol is what you would have with you 99.9% of the time when you're out and about, so depending on a rifle that is not there could be a mistake

2. Were any of your friends test done at extended ranges and the lower velocities that come with the extended ranges? I doubt it most of these tests are all done with the FBI protocol, but the FBI and still has backup and rifles in their trunk. Most people out and about a pistol is their only option

3. Definitely agree on having to be something comfortable to carry, but what I'm finding is it has less to do with the gun and more to do with the holster.

Re: Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy [Re: RJH1] #7598621 09/05/19 02:03 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Was in a parking lot this morning and just glanced around, lots of places where a 50-plus yard shot could be the only thing available. So, another reason for this shift in philosophy

Re: Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy [Re: RJH1] #7598629 09/05/19 02:05 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Im not planning on fighting a war with my CC. It is there simply for when I wish I had a gun. Other than that the most sought after trait for me is concealability.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy [Re: RJH1] #7598631 09/05/19 02:07 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
OP sounds like he has places where he can get caught 50 yards from anything, also sounds like he knows how to shoot and knows his weapon well. He chose a blend of power and capacity and if he's willing to carry it, I can respect that.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Carry guns, a shift in my philosophy [Re: RJH1] #7598654 09/05/19 02:13 PM
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by RJH1
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

^^This

1. The pistol is what you would have with you 99.9% of the time when you're out and about, so depending on a rifle that is not there could be a mistake

2. Were any of your friends test done at extended ranges and the lower velocities that come with the extended ranges? I doubt it most of these tests are all done with the FBI protocol, but the FBI and still has backup and rifles in their trunk. Most people out and about a pistol is their only option

3. Definitely agree on having to be something comfortable to carry, but what I'm finding is it has less to do with the gun and more to do with the holster.

This is how I roll, but not everyone is as Tactical AF as me.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide