Cost of plan
Ease of setup
App is very, very easy to use
Trigger speed

Cons:

Battery life
Daytime picture quality needs improvement, but the pictures are serviceable
Detection range seems less than the advertised 60 feet

I’ve been running Spartan cameras for over a year and have been very happy with them. That said, the SPYPOINT is roughly one hundred dollars cheaper and the plan cost lesss as well. If the SPYPOINT holds up like the Spartans have then I’d say they’re a heck of a deal. I still use regular cameras at my feeders that have pens and the cellular cameras for feeders left open for hog hunting. The cellular cameras just don’t provide the quality of photos I want when it comes to deer.

Re: SPYPOINT micro link review [Re: bigjoe8565] #7597867 09/04/19 05:00 PM
B
bronco71 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I know the cellular pics have less quality but what about the pics on the SD card in the Spypoint?

Re: SPYPOINT micro link review [Re: bigjoe8565] #7597869 09/04/19 05:03 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I had a spypoint link evo, ran it for about 7-8 months on a 12V with adapter cable and plugged into the camera port. After about thattime frame the camera port became loose and it wouldn't work with the 12V battery and cable. I wasn't about to feed it AA batteries as they eat up about every month.

Called spypoint, told them my issue, they told me it was a power issue and wouldn't take care of the issue. Not sure if there was a language barrier issue as they are French Canadian company, but they didn't understand the issue was the power port and not the battery and wouldn't take the camera in to look at it or replace it.

Just FYI, I liked the camera when it worked, but it became useless under a year in, and I now run 2 coverts (on similar 12v battery set ups which run flawlessly) and 7 cudde based on the cuddelink set up (poor cell service in certain places require the daisy chain).

Re: SPYPOINT micro link review [Re: bronco71] #7597876 09/04/19 05:11 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I haven’t checked the card yet, but will update about pic quality once I do.

Originally Posted by bronco71
I know the cellular pics have less quality but what about the pics on the SD card in the Spypoint?

Re: SPYPOINT micro link review [Re: bigjoe8565] #7597971 09/04/19 06:44 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
The Link Evo's are better quality pics and better camera. I run 4 of the Spypoint Link Evo's and 4 of the Steath AT&T cams. The Stealth have much better resolution to your phone and on the sd card (20mb vs 12 i believe). And, the plans are much cheaper for the Stealth AT&T version. I pay $80 a year for the Stealth and Spypoints are like $120 plus extra money for App if you want to keep the pics longer than 30 days.

The battery ports for 12v input are very different between the 2 companies. I use the HME battery box with solar attached for my Stealth. It has a wire mesh on the cord, so critters to chew it. You can't use this battery setup with the Spypoint as it will destroy your connection within the camera. You have to buy their battery box and direct wire a 12volt solar to it. Do not use their plug in as it will not keep the battery charged. I actually worked with GMS outdoors and gave them feedback on their first version battery box. The HME box is awesome.

Re: SPYPOINT micro link review [Re: bigjoe8565] #7598033 09/04/19 07:44 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Pitt, I wasn't using recharable batteries inside the link evo, I was just using the cable to connect to an external 12V on solar. The cable had a 12v to 6v reducer and fit perfectly, made sure to buy the correct cable. The problem I had was the cable port became loose in the camera and I guess the wires became loose as the port would no longer work. Batteries inside the camera would make it work just fine, but I wasn't feeding batteries to it every month.

I have one of those HME battery boxes sitting at the house waiting for a camera to work with it...NOt sure it will ever get used. Bummer because I really like it, just didn't fit the ports I needed it to.

Re: SPYPOINT micro link review [Re: Pittstate] #7599055 09/05/19 08:53 PM
S
shightower Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
What do you mean by “ destroy your connection within the camera?” Im using this exact setup right now.
I haven’t been using g it for long, but now I’m concerned.
Right now everything is working well.

Appreciate your info..

Last edited by shightower; 09/05/19 08:54 PM.
Re: SPYPOINT micro link review [Re: bigjoe8565] #7601355 09/08/19 08:12 PM
B
B_Man Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Guys,
The pros mentioned above were the same reasons I went out and bought a Spypoint Link Micro
but have had nothing but problems. I am on my 2nd camera and it has as many problems as the first one.
The link below describes similar problems.

https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=2648899

thanks

Re: SPYPOINT micro link review [Re: bigjoe8565] #7601977 09/09/19 02:27 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Update:

Three weeks in and camera is still working great, but the App has frozen 3 times and had to be reinstalled. Not a major problem, but an irritation. I’m hoping I don’t encounter the same issues as B_Man and others have. I still have high hopes.

Re: SPYPOINT micro link review [Re: bigjoe8565] #7602005 09/09/19 03:06 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I went thru 2 cameras, one didn't work out of the box, the other was a cluster f, there are a couple of members here who were privy to the experience, I finally had to get my credit card company to charge back the yr of unlimited service.

The price is great, but the quality and CS after purchase is horrible

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: SPYPOINT micro link review [Re: bigjoe8565] #7602732 09/10/19 03:33 AM
B
Brando-Commando Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I've got a Micro and its worked great out of the box, we went with AT&T service and have 5/5 bars and havent had any battery issues. (I'm not quite at the 2 month mark) as described as to how long The batteries will last but for the cost of them, im.happy with it.

[Linked Image]
Re: SPYPOINT micro link review [Re: bigjoe8565] #7614708 09/24/19 01:47 PM
F
FoxTrot Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
My only complaints...
Pic quality isn't great but it is good enough to see what needs to be seen.

Battery life is terrible. Mine batteries ran out 3 wks ago and I have been back out to replace them. The batteries were in it for 5 wks before going dead.

Originally Posted By: Chief Joe
I avoid Dick's and hope they fold.
Re: SPYPOINT micro link review [Re: bigjoe8565] #7615750 09/25/19 01:30 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
I bought a spypoint link earlier this month to put out on a historical rub line in OK to see what is coming in. There is no corn or other bait other than acorns on the ground. I have had it out for 16 days so far, and it still says battery at 100%. With what y'all said about battery life, I set it up to transmit pics only one time per day, trying to extend batttery life. Those who are complaining about battery life, how often do you have it transmitting?
I will agree that photo's are not excellent quality, but it is serving it's purpose perfectly for me.

Re: SPYPOINT micro link review [Re: FoxTrot] #7617107 09/26/19 07:29 PM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by FoxTrot
My only complaints...

Battery life is terrible. Mine batteries ran out 3 wks ago and I have been back out to replace them. The batteries were in it for 5 wks before going dead.

Get one of these. 12v Solar cam charger

We built our own before Academy started carrying these. I spent more on the DIY project than Stealth charges for these. You get the box, battery, solar panel, braided cables, etc., less than $50.

You may have to trim a little bit of the plastic from the plug that goes into the 12v port on the cam to get it fully seated but you don't have to worry about battery life. I get multiple pics per day and it's triggered to send me pics on each occurrence. Battery stays @ 100%. The other option is to just transmit pics once a day. That's what beats up the batteries.

Re: SPYPOINT micro link review [Re: soonersorlaters] #7617144 09/26/19 08:13 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by soonersorlaters

You will have to replace the plug in order to use it with the Spypoint for any length of time. I have swapped a dozen or more of them out.

I build the harness with a 90º plug and make the harness as long as whoever needs or wants it.

I use this stainless loom, a 1000 times more flexible than the one that comes with it.

Stainless Steel Flexible 1/4 Inch Wire Loom 10 Feet Per Roll

[Linked Image]

90º plug

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: SPYPOINT micro link review [Re: David Maas] #7617206 09/26/19 09:14 PM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by David Maas

You will have to replace the plug in order to use it with the Spypoint for any length of time. I have swapped a dozen or more of them out.

I build the harness with a 90º plug and make the harness as long as whoever needs or wants it.

I use this stainless loom, a 1000 times more flexible than the one that comes with it.

Stainless Steel Flexible 1/4 Inch Wire Loom 10 Feet Per Roll

[Linked Image]

90º plug

[Linked Image]

cheers

Re: SPYPOINT micro link review [Re: soonersorlaters] #7618107 09/27/19 08:34 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
My only complaints...

We built our own before Academy started carrying these. I spent more on the DIY project than Stealth charges for these. You get the box, battery, solar panel, braided cables, etc., less than $50.

You may have to trim a little bit of the plastic from the plug that goes into the 12v port on the cam to get it fully seated but you don't have to worry about battery life. I get multiple pics per day and it's triggered to send me pics on each occurrence. Battery stays @ 100%. The other option is to just transmit pics once a day. That's what beats up the batteries.

Those HME boxes with solar are great, but they are not made for Spypoint. Spypoint has a different connection inside the camera. It feels like it works and does work for a month of so. Then, it ruins your connection inside your spypoint camera and you will be forced to use AA batteries. I have been using cellular cameras for over 8 years and been around many hunting celebrities because of my jobs. Even they hate how fast all cellular cameras eat through AA batteries. Most of them replace the batteries every 2 weeks. They don't use battery box/solar because they are always on the move to another hunt and just want to get pics of that area.

Re: SPYPOINT micro link review [Re: Pittstate] #7619071 09/29/19 03:57 AM
B
bronco71 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Pittstate
My only complaints...

Those HME boxes with solar are great, but they are not made for Spypoint. Spypoint has a different connection inside the camera. It feels like it works and does work for a month of so. Then, it ruins your connection inside your spypoint camera and you will be forced to use AA batteries. I have been using cellular cameras for over 8 years and been around many hunting celebrities because of my jobs. Even they hate how fast all cellular cameras eat through AA batteries. Most of them replace the batteries every 2 weeks. They don't use battery box/solar because they are always on the move to another hunt and just want to get pics of that area.

My Bushnell cellular cams go 6 to 7 months on lithium AA's sending pics throughout the day and about 800 pics/mth each...I have had 4 of them for a couple of years with no problems. Before the cellular cams my regular Bushnell cams had 4 or 5 times better battery life than my other cams.

Last edited by bronco71; 09/29/19 03:58 AM.
Re: SPYPOINT micro link review [Re: bigjoe8565] #7633738 10/16/19 02:45 AM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Love mine, need to build some solar chargers.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide