Forums46
Topics536,987
Posts9,719,150
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 34 of 44 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 43 44
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7593628 08/30/19 08:13 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Anywhere you have a big river and enough woods to hide in, within half hour drive of a metro area, you gotta watch your back. But I always loved the Trinity and that area down there, a lot of good memories for sure.

I had some relatives lived in a shack for awhile near the river down there. Right down in the bottoms practically in a floodplain. I am not sure if they had bought/rented it, or if they just moved in. They have since moved back to missouri though. They were true "hillbillies", some people just don't know!

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7594079 08/30/19 06:37 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
On my elk hunt in 2016, I found a spot with some camping pads and a couple of sleeping bags and some other camping stuff. A small fire ring had been built with the remains of an old fire. When I lifted up one of the pads, there were bent spoons and hypodermic needles laying there along with some small baggies. The pads were ruined and one of the sleeping bags had rotted, but, I walked away with a nice down bag from that little site.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Bbear] #7596410 09/03/19 03:06 AM
D
Dennis in Ft Worth Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
A few years back, on a lease in Stephens county, I was clearing branches of an ancient mesquite that had fallen on a fence line. Near the base of the tree I found this headstone.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Me and ol' RUGER, 74 years and still shooting.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Bbear] #7596629 09/03/19 01:47 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted by Bbear
On my elk hunt in 2016, I found a spot with some camping pads and a couple of sleeping bags and some other camping stuff. A small fire ring had been built with the remains of an old fire. When I lifted up one of the pads, there were bent were ruined and one of the sleeping bags had rotted, but, I walked away with a nice down bag from that little sitesite.

"The pads were ruined and one of the sleeping bags had rotted, but, I walked away with a nice little 'DIME BAG' from the site". FIFY.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Dennis in Ft Worth] #7596633 09/03/19 01:53 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted by Dennis in Ft Worth
A few years back, on a lease in Stephens county, I was clearing branches of an ancient mesquite that had fallen on a fence line. Near the base of the tree I found this headstone.

[Linked Image]

That is too freaky. Rabies, holy cow. I wonder if there's any more info?

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Erathkid] #7596943 09/03/19 06:43 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Erathkid
Originally Posted by Dennis in Ft Worth

[Linked Image]

That is too freaky. Rabies, holy cow. I wonder if there's any more info?

That headstone is really cool. If I read it right the kid was 10 or 11. Since it was the only one, my guest is they were traveling through when the child died.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7597001 09/03/19 07:24 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Could that be a dog that died in the 20th century and not a child from the19th century?

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7597009 09/03/19 07:32 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Could that be a dog that died in the 20th century and not a child from the19th century?

I thought the same thing. Could be either one...

Last edited by Son of a Blitch; 09/03/19 07:32 PM.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7597072 09/03/19 08:26 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder

Thats what I would bet.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7597085 09/03/19 08:37 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by CCBIRDDOGMAN

Thats what I would bet.

So, you are saying like, "old Yeller."

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7597108 09/03/19 09:08 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Thats what I would bet.

Yep. Unless the kids last name was Rabies. That's a dog.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Txduckman] #7597155 09/03/19 10:00 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Originally Posted by Txduckman

Thats what I would bet.

Yep. Unless the kids last name was Rabies. That's a dog.

I’d bet a dog too, it would be a helluva deal to name a kid Rabies

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7597162 09/03/19 10:11 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
We had several dog graves with dates from the late 60's - 80's on the big ranch I hunted in West Texas. I guess it was a thing during that period to bury your birddog on one of the ranches you hunted.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7597217 09/03/19 11:40 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
My wife's initials are SAM
But I think that is a dog grave

Last edited by Simple Searcher; 09/03/19 11:41 PM.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7597226 09/03/19 11:49 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I vote to dig it up and find out

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7597275 09/04/19 12:29 AM
D
Dennis in Ft Worth Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I'm thinking dog too. The landowner, now passed away, didn't recall ever seeing the marker. The land's been sold and my lease there, sadly, ended too since his death.

[Linked Image]
Me and ol' RUGER, 74 years and still shooting.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7597450 09/04/19 03:52 AM
B
B Razorback Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I've only had one thing creepy happen at any of the places I hunt. One night (I was 17) we were driving around (Bosque County) in the mule trying to kill jack rabbits. We had one come into the road, but as soon as I shot, it moved and I ended up hitting it in the back. That ranch was absolutely covered in cedar trees so off I went looking to recover it. Eventually after 40 yards or so of chasing it, I noticed I wasn't getting cut up by cedar trees anymore. When I picked up my flashlight I realized I had stumbled into an old oak thicket probably 40 by 30 yards and the rabbit was laying dead right in the middle of it. These oak trees were creepy too. They had extremely low lying limbs and they were very thick at the base. First thought that came into mind was to hang a secret tripod stand there because after looking at it the next day, there were 4 different trails that converged into one there. I hung my camera, threw some corn, and decided to come back the next weekend to see what pictures I got. I got some pictures of some good deer, but for some reason I got a really uneasy feeling while hunting there in the evening and it just felt like people were watching me the whole time. Well after the evening hunt (I didn't even make it to dark because of how uncomfortable I felt) I of course forgot to put the SIM card back into the camera because I was trying to get the heck out of there. I knew it was something I had to do due to the quality of deer coming through there so off I went down the trail at dark with one mission in my mind and that was to run in there, put the card in, then get the heck out of there. I fast walk back there and immediately get a feeling that I was not welcome there and it stopped me dead in my tracks at the entrance. I ignore the feeling and open the camera real quick (which is positioned in the back of the oak thicket) and start putting the SIM card in there hands shaking. Then out of nowhere I see the battery bar on the screen of the camera start dropping bars of battery until the entire camera was dead. These were only one week only batteries too. So I take the whole camera this time and start to get up to run out of the thicket and all of a sudden my flashlight starts slowly dimming into complete darkness. Needless to say I was in full sprint crashing into the cedar trees until I got back to my truck. We have lost the lease since then, but you guarantee I never went back there. Still to this day have no idea what that thicket or presence could have been.

You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! -Davy Crocket
This is duck hunting...shirts and shoes are optional
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: B Razorback] #7597457 09/04/19 04:01 AM
S
SenkoSamurai Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S

Originally Posted by B Razorback
I've only had one thing creepy happen at any of the places I hunt. One night (I was 17) we were driving around (Bosque County) in the mule trying to kill jack rabbits. We had one come into the road, but as soon as I shot, it moved and I ended up hitting it in the back. That ranch was absolutely covered in cedar trees so off I went looking to recover it. Eventually after 40 yards or so of chasing it, I noticed I wasn't getting cut up by cedar trees anymore. When I picked up my flashlight I realized I had stumbled into an old oak thicket probably 40 by 30 yards and the rabbit was laying dead right in the middle of it. These oak trees were creepy too. They had extremely low lying limbs and they were very thick at the base. First thought that came into mind was to hang a secret tripod stand there because after looking at it the next day, there were 4 different trails that converged into one there. I hung my camera, threw some corn, and decided to come back the next weekend to see what pictures I got. I got some pictures of some good deer, but for some reason I got a really uneasy feeling while hunting there in the evening and it just felt like people were watching me the whole time. Well after the evening hunt (I didn't even make it to dark because of how uncomfortable I felt) I of course forgot to put the SIM card back into the camera because I was trying to get the heck out of there. I knew it was something I had to do due to the quality of deer coming through there so off I went down the trail at dark with one mission in my mind and that was to run in there, put the card in, then get the heck out of there. I fast walk back there and immediately get a feeling that I was not welcome there and it stopped me dead in my tracks at the entrance. I ignore the feeling and open the camera real quick (which is positioned in the back of the oak thicket) and start putting the SIM card in there hands shaking. Then out of nowhere I see the battery bar on the screen of the camera start dropping bars of battery until the entire camera was dead. These were only one week only batteries too. So I take the whole camera this time and start to get up to run out of the thicket and all of a sudden my flashlight starts slowly dimming into complete darkness. Needless to say I was in full sprint crashing into the cedar trees until I got back to my truck. We have lost the lease since then, but you guarantee I never went back there. Still to this day have no idea what that thicket or presence could have been.

This is the good stuff
eek2

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: B Razorback] #7597500 09/04/19 10:56 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by B Razorback

That gave me chills reading that. That's crazy.

I used to read some stories about stairs in the national forest, some wild stuff. Stairs that don't belong, really weird stuff, I'll see if I can't find the link.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7597604 09/04/19 01:20 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Lots of reading material here. Kind of hard to believe all of it, but not sure how these stories could be made up either.
Especially when they find deceased bodies and have autopsy reports like they do.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re...ch_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/

Last edited by KWood_TSU; 09/04/19 01:20 PM.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: KWood_TSU] #7597806 09/04/19 04:00 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
Lots of reading material here. Kind of hard to believe all of it, but not sure how these stories could be made up either.
Especially when they find deceased bodies and have autopsy reports like they do.

Where did you dig that up? Some SERIOUSLY demented people posting there. Scary to think there are that many delusional, sick people out there. Dang!

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: KWood_TSU] #7597808 09/04/19 04:02 PM
P
PoppinPiggies Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P

Wow.... just read through all 8 pages of this and it is definitely creepy

Follow me on instagram @crosstexasoutdoors
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7597910 09/04/19 05:44 PM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
While elk hunting in a remote dark canyon, I was down in some lodgepole deadfall. I jumped off one and landed square on a bear trap, buried in the pine duff. A giant old #5 Newhouse with teeth on the jaws, chain wired to a rotted tree and the rest of the old cubby rotted as well. The trap was about a hundred years old, and had probably been set by a sheep herder in the 40's or 50's.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: flintknapper] #7598042 09/04/19 07:52 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by flintknapper

Where did you dig that up? Some SERIOUSLY demented people posting there. Scary to think there are that many delusional, sick people out there. Dang!

I can't remember where I saw that at. It was a few years ago

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: KWood_TSU] #7598135 09/04/19 09:40 PM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Yeah, he's one heck of a good story teller. That's about all in my opinion

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Page 34 of 44 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 43 44
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread