Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: zornhunter] #7587928 08/24/19 12:47 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Ok let me work this out for you

1970s - I am in high school in Taylor Texas (central Texas). My Dad was on a lease near Lampasas for years that I grew up hunting on. Couple thousand acres - cost him and his group around $100 bucks per gun.

1980s - I move back to hill country. I am a broke school teacher/coach making $11,900 per year. I shell out $200 bucks for a lease near Jonestown (nameless road) - think it was around 200 acres and 3 of us on it. Slept on the ground and cooked on a Coleman stove. Could not believe I paid $200 for that place but it was worth it to me at the time. I adapted what I could get to what I could pay.

Now on a top end South Texas lease paying lots of money. Why??? Because I can.

Moral is - prices for EVERYTHING go up EVERY YEAR. It is called inflation.

Here is a short lesson in economics. We live in the USA and what is known as a FREE MARKET. That means a willing seller and a willing buyer will reach a price and THAT sets the market price for others (it is called FAIR MARKET PRICE).

IF YOU cannot afford the price for what the seller is asking then you either walk away or you lower your standards. Want a new truck that is tricked out but you cannot afford it?? Then take some of the extras off and get the price down to where you CAN AFFORD it. Pretty basic stuff. So complaining about how the world really works is useless. I am out

You can't fix stupid
Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: 10 Gauge] #7587944 08/24/19 01:06 AM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by laid over

Very specifically, my attitude has nothing to do with your terms or what you consider fair terms and I have long since econceded the point.

My attitude is derived directly from yours.

Looks like you're just having too much fun with me to stop. If your place was the last place one could hunt in the world, I'd just quit. That's how much I cant stand you.

Happy hunting

You might have me confused with someone else you've had 'words' with.

Hope you find a place that fits what you're looking for.
Good luck.

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: tlk] #7587981 08/24/19 02:05 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
tlk wrote:

1970s - I am in high school in Taylor Texas (central Texas). My Dad was on a lease near Lampasas for years that I grew up hunting on. Couple thousand acres - cost him and his group around $100 bucks per gun.

Go Ducks! I was in high school (Austin) about the same time (early 70's). Never had a Deer Lease because we've always owned property, but Deer Leases back then were certainly more reasonable. Still hard to find good one's...not because of the pricing but because in those days, leases were very often held by families/groups for many, many years. Land Owners and the persons leasing had good relations. The use of the property was still thought of as a privilege and it was not unusual for folks to have a lease for decades ..many places in Central Texas. South Texas a bit different. East Texas (except for Timber Co. land) basically had no concept of leasing (for any purpose) back then.

1980s - I move back to hill country. I am a broke school teacher/coach making $11,900 per year. I shell out $200 bucks for a lease near Jonestown (nameless road) - think it was around 200 acres and 3 of us on it. Slept on the ground and cooked on a Coleman stove. Could not believe I paid $200 for that place but it was worth it to me at the time. I adapted what I could get to what I could pay.

Yes, that area (all grown up now) was good for trapping. It certainly had deer in good density (as most areas around the Lake) but I'm sure you remember how small Hill Country Deer are. Rough area to camp in. Grover Simpson would have been the Game Warden in that area (until his death in 1985). Super Guy. Small leases like that were still a fun place to go and available with a little searching. But those days are gone. There is still untouched land farther out 1431 (past Jonestown/Lago Vista) toward Marble Falls....but everything from Austin out to Lake Travis is all built up now.

So...as with any Metroplex these days...urban sprawl has transformed the places we used to hunt into housing. No doubt, it is tougher to find a decent place to hunt. I am grateful we've always owned land to hunt and/or live on.

Last edited by flintknapper; 08/24/19 02:08 AM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: tlk] #7587982 08/24/19 02:06 AM
B
Big8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
tlk, I couldn’t agree more. I could afford to hunt south Tx but I choose to hunt 20 minutes from the house and harvest mature 120 class deer in Lee county. We are also on MLD 1 and take does so my freezer is always full so everybody has the option to hunt where they please depending on their finances, it’s all about living within your means or making a choice to hunt where it is convenient for you. I have a daughter in college and one younger so it make sense to keep the place I have, one day I might pay $6-8,000 for a place in South Tx to take a 160 class deer but this is not the time. I more enjoy the campfire and drinks/food and keeping the pigs and coyotes in check. For me it’s all about getting away, so if that cost me a few thousand is well worth it.

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: Big8] #7587990 08/24/19 02:25 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Big8
tlk, I couldn’t agree more. I could afford to hunt south Tx but I choose to hunt 20 minutes from the house and harvest mature 120 class deer in Lee county. We are also on MLD 1 and take does so my freezer is always full so everybody has the option to hunt where they please depending on their finances, it’s all about living within your means or making a choice to hunt where it is convenient for you. I have a daughter in college and one younger so it make sense to keep the place I have, one day I might pay $6-8,000 for a place in South Tx to take a 160 class deer but this is not the time. I more enjoy the campfire and drinks/food and keeping the pigs and coyotes in check. For me it’s all about getting away, so if that cost me a few thousand is well worth it.

Good to hear there are decent Deer in Lee County these days. In the past....60's-70's it was pretty much a novelty to see deer (or sign) East of I35 from about Manor out to Lexington or even to the South of the County. Friend of our family had a large cattle ranch out in Lexington (out in the sand, folks called that area). Good for cows and coyotes, but no deer and certainly no pigs back then.

Like you....I choose to hunt and enjoy my own property or that of my FIL's (not far away) rather than travel. My Daughter has been out of school for 10 yrs. now (RN, travel nursing) and I am retired. Content to hunt right here at home...though I have access to 6,000 acres in Del Rio.

Time spent with family enjoying the outdoors is what is important to me.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: flintknapper] #7588006 08/24/19 02:41 AM
B
Big8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
We hunt Yegua creek bottom and it’s not uncommon to see 12-18 different deer in one sitting, things have really changed since antler restrictions have been implemented. I know not everyone agrees with the restrictions but where I hunt it has made a huge improvement.

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: Big8] #7588018 08/24/19 03:02 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I got to this party late and now im too tired to give it any justice but ill scattershoot a few comments.
Someone asked if laidover had another name, and yes he apparently changed his forum name(imagine that.)
Rustler had some very good pointed comments for laidover that bare rereading.
Maximus kind of got a little perturbed but he was right on with most of his stuff, IMO.
Im not a very big LO but I respect them immensely and I pay their price or I don't, but I don't complain.
tlk and Big8 are great examples of what this thread has kind of come to-- tlk pays big money and is very happy and Big8 apparently does not and he too is very happy. Most reasonable people make those kind of choices on a regular basis and all is good.
Beyond that, all the comments about the free market system should make the meat of the matter clear so anyone that still complains should probably be ignored.
ps- I have no idea who the OP was but I feel for you.

Last edited by freerange; 08/24/19 03:17 AM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7588027 08/24/19 03:24 AM
Txhunter65 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by zornhunter
Originally Posted by Txhunter65
Finding a lease isn't easy...finding a good lease is even harder. Good luck to all those looking, I've been there and it sucks.

...and finding unicorns, bigfoot, and a black panther in Texas extremely difficult if not impossible....

Good luck finding a 250 acre $2,000 lease covered in deer, family friendly, with 24/7/365 access to run around the place like you own it....

Really? He was just agreeing it wasn't easy. Come on Snake.

Interesting you deleted what else he said.... rock_on

What else did I say? I only posted one time on this thread and everything I said is quoted above. Maybe you confused me with Txtrophy85.

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: freerange] #7588197 08/24/19 02:44 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by freerange
I got to this party late and now im too tired to give it any justice but ill scattershoot a few comments.
Someone asked if laidover had another name, and yes he apparently changed his forum name(imagine that.)
Rustler had some very good pointed comments for laidover that bare rereading.
Maximus kind of got a little perturbed but he was right on with most of his stuff, IMO.
Im not a very big LO but I respect them immensely and I pay their price or I don't, but I don't complain.
tlk and Big8 are great examples of what this thread has kind of come to-- tlk pays big money and is very happy and Big8 apparently does not and he too is very happy. Most reasonable people make those kind of choices on a regular basis and all is good.
Beyond that, all the comments about the free market system should make the meat of the matter clear so anyone that still complains should probably be ignored.
ps- I have no idea who the OP was but I feel for you.

laid over = regular guy 11B

Like I said before, if you're gonna lease your land you ought yo get what you can and Amen to that, yep it's a privilege when someone lets you use their land for anything at any price.

But don't get mad when a hunter is trying to take his dollar as far as he can.

I imagine a hunter that tells you exactly what you want to hear is about like a used car salesman and you should be weary.

But a guy asking for as much as he can, you can temper his expectations and teach him alot more without insulting the bastard. I been there.

The OP needs to check out the public hunting near DFW. For what he can find at the prices he quoted, he'd be way better as would anybody. But people don't know any better.

There are good sized chunks of public land you could have pretty much to yourself within a hour to a hour and a half of DFW and I know cause I been there and damn near fell in a cave and died exploring one night.

Caught a mess of crappie out of one place too oh yes. Every cast with a beetle spin.

But you gotta get up off your kiester and hunt your tail off for a place to hunt!

Last edited by laid over; 08/24/19 02:46 PM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: zornhunter] #7588199 08/24/19 02:51 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I'll give you a good hint though, take I45 to 287 an head East.

The farther you are willing to drive, the bigger and better the opportunities for public land will become.

But the bigger places are gonna require more time and effort to explore.

If you are man enough to bust a thick draw, East Texas is your oyster. But if you are lazy like most are you are not gonna find anything else but litter.

I call 287 the hunter's highway.

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: Mr. T.] #7588260 08/24/19 04:28 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
' Be nice to have a stand and a heater, and an IPAD on standby to keep them occupied'
Yes it is, here is my grandson's on Ipads in the stand and then after the batteries start going dead.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Greatness

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: Txhunter65] #7588479 08/24/19 10:07 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

What else did I say? I only posted one time on this thread and everything I said is quoted above. Maybe you confused me with Txtrophy85.

You're right...my bad...apologies... cheers

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7588629 08/25/19 01:01 AM
Txhunter65 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker

You're right...my bad...apologies... cheers

up

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: zornhunter] #7589721 08/26/19 12:55 PM
W
WreakinHavoc Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
You're obviously are to picky and didn't look hard enough.

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...annual-deer-leases-few-spots#Post7585652

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: 10 Gauge] #7589766 08/26/19 02:08 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted by laid over
Yep, formerly regularguy11B

Why?

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: zornhunter] #7589829 08/26/19 02:53 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Laid Out- Why would you change your handle & comeback being a jerk still?

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: zornhunter] #7589856 08/26/19 03:17 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Does this subject still need to be discussed? popcorn

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: maximus_flavius] #7594504 08/31/19 04:50 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
This is like a 40 year old virgin telling Ron Jeremy how to bang chicks.

Enjoy your free public hunting. It’s worth every penny.

Youll never be anywhere near my level, & I’m mediocre at best.

I hope you don’t have delusions of adequacy.

roflmao Great thread. One liners galore.

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: zornhunter] #7594505 08/31/19 04:59 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
My thoughts....I own a piece of property and I wouldn't lease it out for $100 an acre, it would take $200 an acre for me to even consider it. It takes a special person to lease out their land that is probably worth 100x or more what most people are willing to pay. I've had several people ask me to lease it out to run cows for 6 months out of the year and I told them no, because I don't want the hassle or have to worry about who has access to it.

IMO deer leases are too cheap compared to the cost of land and upkeep. Every deer lease is a bargain compared to buying....

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: DocHorton] #7594531 08/31/19 11:39 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by DocHorton
My thoughts....I own a piece of property and I wouldn't lease it out for $100 an acre, it would take $200 an acre for me to even consider it. It takes a special person to lease out their land that is probably worth 100x or more what most people are willing to pay. I've had several people ask me to lease it out to run cows for 6 months out of the year and I told them no, because I don't want the hassle or have to worry about who has access to it.

IMO deer leases are too cheap compared to the cost of land and upkeep. Every deer lease is a bargain compared to buying....

Very true

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: DocHorton] #7594720 08/31/19 04:56 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

You bought your property recently for investment/recreational purposes so it isn't in the same category as land that is leased. Land that is leased for most deer leases has been in the family for generations and was used primarily for cattle. Many didnt even have deer 30 years ago. You can only stare at mesquite so long so might as well make some extra bucks off of it and not sell it. All the LO by us have regular jobs so it's not paying their bills as it doesn't need to. Probably pays for their vehicles and vacations. They could sell and have a few million but that is not their goal or everyone would sell. Not much to do with a million in a small town anyway as you sold your land so what now? Look at the bank account all day?? Some people are not obsessed with money and buying the most expensive new stuff all the time.

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: DocHorton] #7594728 08/31/19 05:02 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

I’ll admit these are pretty good

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: zornhunter] #7594732 08/31/19 05:22 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Yes, they are pretty good

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: txtrophy85] #7594743 08/31/19 05:43 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

I’ll admit these are pretty good

More than good. Some of the finest backhands I've seen in recent years. MF cracks me up.

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: maximus_flavius] #7594913 08/31/19 09:57 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker

Last edited by laid over; 08/31/19 10:16 PM.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide