Print Thread
Boss Shotshells #7593909 08/30/19 03:28 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Y'all check this out. In depth discussion on why you only need 2 3/4" shells for even duck and goose hunting. Learned some neat stuff, something perfect to listen to while driving.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/757wuQVAtalLcmHSukUE5S

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Boss Shotshells [Re: KWood_TSU] #7686942 12/12/19 03:11 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I'm going to pull a hopedale and bump this thread.

I'm about to post an answer about Bismuth on why it is superior to steel, it came off of Facebook, so I'm only supplying one answer. There was a resounding Yes to the question that Boss Bismuth does in fact kill birds better. Yes, it's expensive, but the cost offsets itself. Say you never have to water swat a cripple, or even just chase one 150 yards because it fluttered away, that's worth something right? So now it takes one shell to kill that canada goose or big mallard instead of 3 shells. No, Bismuth wont make you a better shot, but it kills cleaner and quicker. And maybe being expensive ammo, you might be less likely to send up that hail mary on that passing bird, so you're doing everyone a favor by not chancing crippling that bird. An estimated 3.4-3.7 million ducks are crippled each year. That's 1/5 ducks killed. Basically what Bismuth does is it completely takes the ammo out as a limiting factor, now the only limiting factor is you and your aim and knowing your effective range.

But if you dont want to take the two minutes to read it, the easiest comparison is shooting ducks with steel is like shooting a deer with a full metal jacket. But a Bismuth pellet is like shooting a deer with a good quality bullet.

I'm just trying to get rid of my steel, and as soon as I do, I'm running straight bismuth. The owner of Boss isn't an advocate of long shots, they're like everyone and loves seeing feet down duck, but has said that a lot of guides for outfitters are coming in and saying that it's stone cold killing geese at 55-60 yards with their 2 3/4 #5's.

This is my question, which I basically knew the answer to, just wanted a good answer to it.

"Everyone says Boss kills the birds more efficiently, that's because of KE correct?
Being that it is denser and moving at the same speed as steel, it's hitting with more umph behind it.

What brought this up was a few birds I've seen hit this year with steel are being hit well, then they flutter down, so you know they're still alive, but when you get to them, they're dead. I shot a woodie this weekend with steel and it folded him. He hits the water and is swimming and I had to finish him with my finisher, seeing weird kills like that.

It seems with boss though, a lot of people are saying that these same birds are being smoked and dying as soon as they're hit. Is this actually the case?" This last question was the resounding yes, birds are dead before they hit the water

The long answer, and not from an employee.

"Kinetic Energy, Penetration, and Deformation of the projectile (in essence, energy transfer) are what causes the difference in terminal performance between copper plated bismuth and steel.
Greater density, means greater energy down range for the same size pellet. Greater density means a smaller pellet size can be used, meaning the shot is more aerodynamic and has less drag. Higher energy on impact transfers into flesh as the more malleable material deforms while meeting resistance. The copper plating helps maintain the integrity of the shot, keeping the pellet from breaking apart and maintaining penetrative capability.
Because bismuth is malleable but brittle, it needs 6% tin added to not shatter at firing or impact. This in combination with copper plating helps to mimic the characteristics of lead shot. All of this adds up to mean that Boss ammo causes trauma on waterfowl that steel can simply not. The greater energy causes shock and bleed out very quickly for birds centered in patterns. Even when a pellet does not strike the central nervous system, this usually leads to instant incapacitation."

As a sportman and conservationist, I'm going to do my best to not have any crippled birds. Imagine if that 3.5 million was cut in 20% because more people switched to a superior shell over steel. That would send 700,000 more birds to the nesting grounds each year. Just something to think about.

https://bossshotshells.com/

Re: Boss Shotshells [Re: KWood_TSU] #7687128 12/12/19 07:18 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
So I bought a bulk order of Boss the other day. Primarily due to what you described above. While I don't think it will be a wash straight across the board, regarding price per shell/shell per bird, I do think it will close the gap. I was sold last year after watching a buddy shoot the Hevi X tungsten. Using a 20ga he was stoning birds at a much further distance.

Re: Boss Shotshells [Re: KWood_TSU] #7687214 12/12/19 09:28 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I’ll probably buy a box just to see, but you sure have become quite the fan boy of them.

Re: Boss Shotshells [Re: rickym] #7687228 12/12/19 09:45 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by rickym
I’ll probably buy a box just to see, but you sure have become quite the fan boy of them.

I am, it's easy to support made in USA companies that care about the customer. I'm a sucker for those, and then when is a superior product, they speak for themselves.

Re: Boss Shotshells [Re: Leonardo] #7687230 12/12/19 09:46 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by Leonardo
So I bought a bulk order of Boss the other day. Primarily due to what you described above. While I don't think it will be a wash straight across the board, regarding price per shell/shell per bird, I do think it will close the gap. I was sold last year after watching a buddy shoot the Hevi X tungsten. Using a 20ga he was stoning birds at a much further distance.

That's awesome, let us know what you think after shooting some ducks or geese

Re: Boss Shotshells [Re: KWood_TSU] #7687420 12/13/19 01:57 AM
D
DuckSausage Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I recently purchased a case. Can’t wait to try them out.

Their cases come loose along with 2 extra boxes and a “money bag.” I love the bag idea, but will be flying with these shells soon and need more than 2 boxes. Per airline guidelines, shells must be in original boxes. So I reached out to Boss, requested some more boxes and offered to buy them...before I could blink an eye, they shipped out the requested boxes free of charge, no questions asked. Their customer service is top notch!

Re: Boss Shotshells [Re: DuckSausage] #7687436 12/13/19 02:16 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by DuckSausage
I recently purchased a case. Can’t wait to try them out.

Their cases come loose along with 2 extra boxes and a “money bag.” I love the bag idea, but will be flying with these shells soon and need more than 2 boxes. Per airline guidelines, shells must be in original boxes. So I reached out to Boss, requested some more boxes and offered to buy them...before I could blink an eye, they shipped out the requested boxes free of charge, no questions asked. Their customer service is top notch!

That's awesome.

The reason their case is 200 instead of 250 is because of Canadian laws. 200 is the max you can bring in.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide