Forums46
Topics536,986
Posts9,719,146
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales #7587672 08/23/19 08:11 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S
Story link...

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Republican Texas Gov. Greg Abbott on Thursday raised concern about private firearm sales but didn’t commit to crack down on them or act on gun control issues following a meeting on ways to prevent mass shootings such as the El Paso attack that killed 22 people.

While lawmakers are feeling pressure to respond quickly to the Aug. 3 shooting at a Walmart, Abbott signaled that Texas would take a long and careful look at gun laws and other safety measures before its Legislature next meets in 2021.

Scrutinizing private guns sales was among a list of ideas Abbott rattled off after emerging from a four-hour, closed-door meeting about the El Paso shooting with lawmakers, police and representatives from Google, Facebook and Twitter.

He also floated the idea of “welfare checks” when worries are raised about people with access to firearms. Authorities have said the mother of the suspected El Paso gunman, 21-year-old Patrick Crusius, had called police weeks before the attack to express concern about her son buying an “AK” style rifle.

“Right now there is nothing in law that would prevent one stranger from selling a gun to a terrorist, and obviously that’s a danger that needs to be looked into,” Abbott said.

The El Paso shooting happened hours before another gunman in Ohio killed nine people in an entertainment district. Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine, also a Republican, responded days later with a package of measures that he said would prevent mass shootings. But Abbott is taking a slower approach.

The discussions will be closely followed by gun-rights supporters, including the National Rifle Association, which earlier this year praised Abbott for expanding gun rights in Texas. Some are set to take effect Sept. 1 and were passed after more than two dozen people were killed in a 2017 Texas church shooting and a gunman killing 10 people at a high school near Houston last year.

Abbott offered no details about how Texas might scrutinize private gun sales but expressed worries that it could lead to some firearms ending up in the wrong hands. Authorities have said Crusius legally purchased the rifle used in the attack but have not said from where.

Executives from Google, Facebook and Twitter left the meeting before reporters were let back into the room. They were invited by Abbott after he called for a crackdown on internet sites used by violent extremists. Authorities believe Crusius posted a racist screed online shortly before carrying out the attack.

Abbott said the companies offered to provide a training program for both users and law enforcement to identify those who may pose a danger or deter potential attacks.

Gun Owners of America’s Texas chapter held a small rally outside the Capitol before Abbott’s meeting to protest the possibility of “red flag” laws that would allow guns to be removed from a person determined to be a danger to themselves or others. The group also spoke against any “social media monitoring” that might result from the discussions.

Stephen Willeford, who shot back at the gunman who attacked a church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, in 2017, said gun owners don’t want more restrictions and that “red flag” laws do away with due process.

The Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence released a new report Thursday on firearm laws and gun violence in Texas, and geared up for its own town hall in El Paso.

Ari Freilich, an attorney for the organization, said that among the report’s proposals is disarming hate crime offenders and others convicted of violent crimes.

According to the report, under Texas law, those convicted of violent hate crime assaults and hate crimes involving “terroristic threats” of violence are generally able to legally buy and keep guns immediately after conviction.

“We’ve also seen this before, so we want to make sure the folks having these conversations know that it’s time for a really serious conversation that’s responsive to ways in which Texans are being harmed every day by guns,” Freilich said.

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7588053 08/24/19 04:16 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Here is what I can’t understand. Here we have a second instance of a big problem with our current background checks not stopping people who can’t not possess weapons. Why don’t we fix the current system that should be working before adding more rules that won’t stop anything.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aus...ag-felony-warrant-of-pease-park-suspect/

Last edited by krmitchell; 08/24/19 04:16 AM.
Re: Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7588198 08/24/19 02:48 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
It is impossible to know what is in another man's heart. What law will fix that?

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7588899 08/25/19 01:48 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
The solution is simple......just make it illegal to kill someone. If laws are really going to stop someone then that one seems like the best approach.

Re: Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7588922 08/25/19 02:35 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Lots and lots of gun laws in Mexico. Such a peaceful and smooth running country. up

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7589035 08/25/19 05:50 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
It’s funny to me that the left wants to get rid of all drug laws because they are “ineffective” but thinks making more gun laws will fix something.

Re: Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales [Re: krmitchell] #7589187 08/25/19 08:07 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by krmitchell
It’s funny to me that the left wants to get rid of all drug laws because they are “ineffective” but thinks making more gun laws will fix something.

That's a keen observation.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7589931 08/26/19 04:27 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
A big problem I see and keep hearing about is how a life long felon is out of prison in a short amount of time, and back to being a criminal again. The news had a story of a guy out of prison in 5 months time for shooting into an occupied car along with other drug and felony charges. He was out in 5 months time and back to being a criminal and then killed someone. We have to fix that issue. I don't understand the justice system how we keep letting out these bad guys. It's hard enough getting a conviction. And when they do, they get sentenced to 10 years, and are back out in 5 years. It's crazy.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7589948 08/26/19 04:48 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Out of all the recent mass shootings, how many of the shooter's guns were purchased from individual sales? As much as I can remember, every one of them was either stolen or bought from a store where the shooter passed the background check. It seems to me that the individual sales thing is going just fine the way it is.

Re: Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales [Re: ChadTRG42] #7590060 08/26/19 06:10 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
A big problem I see and keep hearing about is how a life long felon is out of prison in a short amount of time, and back to being a criminal again. The news had a story of a guy out of prison in 5 months time for shooting into an occupied car along with other drug and felony charges. He was out in 5 months time and back to being a criminal and then killed someone. We have to fix that issue. I don't understand the justice system how we keep letting out these bad guys. It's hard enough getting a conviction. And when they do, they get sentenced to 10 years, and are back out in 5 years. It's crazy.

Again a problem that the left seems to have. Make a bunch of rules, then don't enforce them or give lenient sentences. In Austin two years back an airport employee was caught stealing 8 firearms out of passenger luggage. He got a 18 month sentence, for 8 guns. He was out in 9 months or less. What example does this set? If we want to fix gun violence, start instituting mandatory minimums for gun crimes. One of two things will happen then. Either all these idiots will get locked up or people will start to get the message that you won't get a slap on the wrist anymore. This won't fix the crazy mass shooters but it will drastically reduce gun crimes.

Re: Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales [Re: unclebubba] #7590061 08/26/19 06:12 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Out of all the recent mass shootings, how many of the shooter's guns were purchased from individual sales? As much as I can remember, every one of them was either stolen or bought from a store where the shooter passed the background check. It seems to me that the individual sales thing is going just fine the way it is.

None that I can remember. Problem is you can be crazy and not have a criminal history. No amount of rules will stop that, and if a firearm isn't available another method can easily be found....a box truck, diesel and fertilizer made that very clear.

Re: Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales [Re: krmitchell] #7590086 08/26/19 06:50 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by unclebubba

None that I can remember. Problem is you can be crazy and not have a criminal history. No amount of rules will stop that, and if a firearm isn't available another method can easily be found....a box truck, diesel and fertilizer made that very clear.

I agree with you completely. What I am pointing out is that even though these people were able to buy them legally, and no amount of gun laws would have stopped them, some politicians are wanting to put laws in place because of these crimes. And the laws that they are proposing don't even address the methods that were used in these crimes. "Hmmm... the shooters are buying the guns from licensed gun dealers, passing criminal background checks, and then committing mass murders. I know how we can stop this! nidea Let's force individual gun sales go through the same background checks!" bang

It's just
[Linked Image]

Re: Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales [Re: ChadTRG42] #7590107 08/26/19 07:16 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

These are not the ones doing the mass shootings.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales [Re: dogcatcher] #7590485 08/27/19 01:51 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by dogcatcher

No but they account for the majority of gun deaths. The mass shootings as a whole are an anomaly in the grand scheme of gun deaths each year. It would be like trying to ban 737s because a high number of people died in a crash one year, then ignore the fact that private planes kill so many people that they are used in life insurance questionnaires.

Re: Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7591754 08/28/19 12:52 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I think that an email or a phone call to your State Rep. & Senator to let them know they WILL NOT get your vote by addressing issues that are not the problem! The next email or phone call needs to be to the Gov."s office and inform him of your decision of who you will not vote for.

The only way we can do anything done is to eliminate politicians that vote against us.

Re: Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales [Re: krmitchell] #7592129 08/28/19 06:54 PM
R
rolyat.nosaj Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R

Same with always claiming fascism and yet they don't want us to have guns??? That makes no sense.

Re: Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales [Re: krmitchell] #7592429 08/29/19 12:21 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

No but they account for the majority of gun deaths. The mass shootings as a whole are an anomaly in the grand scheme of gun deaths each year. It would be like trying to ban 737s because a high number of people died in a crash one year, then ignore the fact that private planes kill so many people that they are used in life insurance questionnaires.

I doubt that, most people are killed by someone they know.

[Linked Image]
Re: Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales [Re: krmitchell] #7592986 08/29/19 05:15 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
It would be like trying to ban 737s because a high number of people died in a crash one year, then ignore the fact that private planes kill so many people that they are used in life insurance questionnaires.

They actually have grounded the 737-MAX because it did kill alot of people in one year (few months actually).

I doubt that, most people are killed by someone they know.

Actually they are according to this...
New Republic article

"According to a 2011 FBI report, 54.3 percent of victims knew their killer. A study by the Violence Policy Center found that 93 percent of female victims knew their male assailants.

It really is a tough quandry. I think everyone wants something done, just that no one can agree on what. There's always a belief that if I do this "one thing", it will be the magic action which is sweeping and takes care of 51% of the problem. Expanded background checks won't do it, banning private sales, high capacity mags won't do it. I don't believe that singular action, which is constitutional, exists. I do however believe the sum total of individual actions could make a difference, with a difference being classified as "x" number of people aren't shot. For example, could the OH shooter have lit off 50 rounds in 32 seconds without a drum? Could he have done the same thing with say (3) 20 round mags? Probably not. Fewer people shot? Probably. Would he have still done it, if he didn't have the drum? Probably so.

I think one thing that is close to the "51% thing" is people are now speaking up and taking spoken words seriously. Here's something reported today.. wannabee shooter some likely loner college freshman was going to shoot folks up with a 9mm and shotgun (I'm sure purchased legally) if he didn't make it into a fraternity. Someone heard it, took it seriously, said something and now this dumbass is behind bars. Maybe this happens more often than we hear, but I think it's a good thing it's happening more and more.

Charlie

Re: Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7595614 09/02/19 01:28 AM
6InARowMakeItGo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Why in the hell are google,twitter and fakebook in a meeting with our governor about gun laws? WTF business is it of theirs what the state of Texas does

🍻
Re: Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7595686 09/02/19 04:26 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Today, 110 people were killed in automobile accidents in the USA. Nobody is wanting to change the maximum speed limit to 45 to stop this horrible loss of life. Gun control has nothing to do with the actual loss of life. It's just politicians playing their games.

Re: Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7595789 09/02/19 02:47 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
And 112 people die each day from second hand smoke.

Re: Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales [Re: ntxtrapper] #7595883 09/02/19 05:06 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Today, 110 people were killed in automobile accidents in the USA. Nobody is wanting to change the maximum speed limit to 45 to stop this horrible loss of life. Gun control has nothing to do with the actual loss of life. It's just politicians playing their games.

^^100% correct.

21 years in the fire service. I don't know how many dead people I have seen due to car wrecks. I lost count a long time ago.

Gun deaths, I can count on my fingers, and have some left over. And the majority of those were self inflicted. Seen the pistol to the temple a bunch, the .22lr rifle into the soft pallet, pistol in the mouth, and one was into the heart. Almost never see a murder with a firearm.

Politicians are playing on people's emotions, nothing more.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales [Re: J.G.] #7596600 09/03/19 01:17 PM
R
rolyat.nosaj Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

^^100% correct.

21 years in the fire service. I don't know how many dead people I have seen due to car wrecks. I lost count a long time ago.

Gun deaths, I can count on my fingers, and have some left over. And the majority of those were self inflicted. Seen the pistol to the temple a bunch, the .22lr rifle into the soft pallet, pistol in the mouth, and one was into the heart. Almost never see a murder with a firearm.

Just want you to know that I am happy that you and people like you are out there doing your job because I don't think I could do it.

Re: Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales [Re: J.G.] #7596781 09/03/19 04:03 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

^^100% correct.

Apples and Oranges. How many of those auto accident deaths were intentional murders? Maybe 1 out of 100 or even 10 out of hundred, do not equal the 40 intentional murders committed daily in America.

[Linked Image]
Re: Texas governor expresses concern about private gun sales [Re: Creekrunner] #7597037 09/03/19 07:50 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Lots and lots of gun laws in Mexico. Such a peaceful and smooth running country. up

Fun Fact: How many stores in Mexico can you buy legally buy a gun? Answer 1.

Yet, look at their current history of gun people violence.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide