Print Thread
Will Plowing and Planting Mess Up Deer Before Season #7585052 08/21/19 12:49 AM
A
AdThomps Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
So I have a food for thought topic. I have a place that has about a 30 acre field that used to be planted every year for winter wheat but it has sat the last 3 years and has become just a big tall grass/sunflower field. I'm sure that deer have gotten used to it and may even have been using it for a bedding location. Now, I pulled my cards today and discovered a GIANT coming into my setup. I'm talking about a once in a lifetime type deer. I'm scared to even go to the place much now bc I don't want to spook him off my place. I have a guy interested in plowing this field and planting winter wheat for me before bow season.

Now the question is, should I risk plowing up the 30 acre field and planting wheat or should I just leave it alone until I get a few weeks of bowhunting in to try and get a shot on the buck?? I am not sure if plowing the field will change anything as far as his behavior goes. I dont know where he is bedding if its on my place or somewhere else. I just know plowing the field and planting wheat will be a big change to the place from the last 3 years so not sure if that will spook him or off the place or not. What do you guys think??

Re: Will Plowing and Planting Mess Up Deer Before Season [Re: AdThomps] #7585053 08/21/19 12:50 AM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Tell the guy he can do it for the fall of 2020.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Will Plowing and Planting Mess Up Deer Before Season [Re: AdThomps] #7585418 08/21/19 02:43 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
If truly a once in a lifetime.......leave it the entire season. Plant wheat again in fall of 2020 as Herbie said.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Will Plowing and Planting Mess Up Deer Before Season [Re: AdThomps] #7585427 08/21/19 02:48 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Deer are generally pretty curious when it comes to tractor work and dozer work on a place. I plow and plant all the time and have deer tracks the next morning all over freshly plowed ground. I would plant part of the field, 10 acres or so this year. Maybe not right by the feeder and blind if the field is next to it. The wheat will be a draw and hold deer longer than your feeder will. Holding more does for the rut. If that buck is mature, he has seen the field plowed and planted in his lifetime. So he will be used to it. I would also have the farmer shred some 15' wide senderos from the opposite edge of the plot to the feeder for travel lanes. That will funnel the deer directly to the feeder. Lot of time till season starts and will there will be no guarantee that buck will stay around till the season starts. The wheat might just be your insurance policy.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Will Plowing and Planting Mess Up Deer Before Season [Re: AdThomps] #7585499 08/21/19 03:49 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I have seen our place plowed one day, and deer walk across that plowed field to the feeder the next morning.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Will Plowing and Planting Mess Up Deer Before Season [Re: AdThomps] #7585513 08/21/19 03:59 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
worthless

Re: Will Plowing and Planting Mess Up Deer Before Season [Re: AdThomps] #7585518 08/21/19 04:07 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Is it possible then buck moved in because your field hasn't been plowed in a couple of years? Maybe he was hanging out somewhere else and moved in when your field got overgrown.
Just food for thought.

I would listen to the guys above with first hand experience though.

Re: Will Plowing and Planting Mess Up Deer Before Season [Re: Wytex] #7585532 08/21/19 04:14 PM
A
AdThomps Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Wytex
Is it possible then buck moved in because your field hasn't been plowed in a couple of years? Maybe he was hanging out somewhere else and moved in when your field got overgrown.
Just food for thought.

I would listen to the guys above with first hand experience though.

That is exactly why I brought this up. I know theres no way to know for sure but I thought that could be a reason why this buck has been hanging around. This is a small acerage place that I havent done alot with over the last couple years. My guess would be he likes the place bc he hasnt been bothered much there.

I kinda like what stxranchman had to say about planting a couple smaller areas in the field and leaving the majority of it alone.

Last edited by AdThomps; 08/21/19 04:15 PM.
Re: Will Plowing and Planting Mess Up Deer Before Season [Re: AdThomps] #7585544 08/21/19 04:19 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
why not do it in strips?

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Will Plowing and Planting Mess Up Deer Before Season [Re: stxranchman] #7585550 08/21/19 04:24 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Deer are generally pretty curious when it comes to tractor work and dozer work on a place. I plow and plant all the time and have deer tracks the next morning all over freshly plowed ground. I would plant part of the field, 10 acres or so this year. Maybe not right by the feeder and blind if the field is next to it. The wheat will be a draw and hold deer longer than your feeder will. Holding more does for the rut. If that buck is mature, he has seen the field plowed and planted in his lifetime. So he will be used to it. I would also have the farmer shred some 15' wide senderos from the opposite edge of the plot to the feeder for travel lanes. That will funnel the deer directly to the feeder. Lot of time till season starts and will there will be no guarantee that buck will stay around till the season starts. The wheat might just be your insurance policy.

X's 2

Wheat/oats will bring in does and that buck will want to be where the dance floor is. Shredding alone can draw in deer as forbes get sunlight and regrow in the lanes. I wouldn't want to do it week prior to my hunt, but that's is just me. I can plow and plant my polts today and deer will be all over it by nightfall, that is here.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Will Plowing and Planting Mess Up Deer Before Season [Re: colt45-90] #7585552 08/21/19 04:26 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by colt45
why not do it in strips?

What shape is the field? If somewhat square, I would suggest an outer boundary of 10-15', and then a strip down the middle of 25-50', and plant the rest. They'll feel comfortable since they can't see over the grass/sunflowers and will have the center for bedding cover.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Will Plowing and Planting Mess Up Deer Before Season [Re: AdThomps] #7585557 08/21/19 04:31 PM
M
MWTX270 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
I would plant it, fall grain is a big draw throughout the season. Deer and most animals are not too scared of farm equipment, so I don't think it would run him off.

Re: Will Plowing and Planting Mess Up Deer Before Season [Re: AdThomps] #7585560 08/21/19 04:33 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I could go either way. I have seen tractor/dozer work not have any effect at all on deer movement. Several years ago we had a water well drilled during season thanksgiving week. From a distance the drilling rig sounded like any other machine work/dozer/tractor etc. and the deer did not like it what so ever.

The field could be what pushed him away or it could be what held him on your property long enough to have a chance at.

worthless

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Will Plowing and Planting Mess Up Deer Before Season [Re: redchevy] #7585582 08/21/19 04:42 PM
A
AdThomps Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
Originally Posted by redchevy
I could go either way. I have seen tractor/dozer work not have any effect at all on deer movement. Several years ago we had a water well drilled during season thanksgiving week. From a distance the drilling rig sounded like any other machine work/dozer/tractor etc. and the deer did not like it what so ever.

The field could be what pushed him away or it could be what held him on your property long enough to have a chance at.

worthless

I’m not too worried about the tractor itself messing things up. I think all the deer around where I hunt are used to seeing tractors working all year round. I’m more concerned about plowing a big 5ft tall grass field down to dirt and planting wheat. If he likes the place for the cover from the field it could push him out. I don’t want to make a mistake and ruin the chance. Seems like plowing some and leaving some would be best scenario

I won’t post any pics of the buck till I kill him. I don’t like to count my chickens before they hatch. Too much time between now and a chance to get a shot on him and it’s the kind of deer that would make people do dumb stuff to kill.

Re: Will Plowing and Planting Mess Up Deer Before Season [Re: AdThomps] #7585666 08/21/19 06:17 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I guess I can understand that.

Then STX had a great idea, plant part of it.

My bet is only God knows whether you get him or not and nothing you do in between is going to change it.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Will Plowing and Planting Mess Up Deer Before Season [Re: AdThomps] #7585679 08/21/19 06:40 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I like hunting late in the season because that's when food plot activity really heats up for multiple reasons. First, natural browse has become much more limited since the acorns are gone or soured, and killing frosts have taken their toll on vegetation. Also, the woods are generally more quiet because a lot of hunters have given up and are home watching football. Finally, the bucks are hungry after chasing does and wanting to get some meat on their bones before the coldest weather hits.

So the short answer, go for it in whatever manner seems best because the best hunting comes much later.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Will Plowing and Planting Mess Up Deer Before Season [Re: AdThomps] #7585686 08/21/19 06:49 PM
L
landsurveyor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I agree with the others in regards to normal ranch operations not having too much effect on deer movements but you mentioned a giant once in a lifetime buck. I would not touch a thing and hunt it as is if it were me. 2cents

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: Will Plowing and Planting Mess Up Deer Before Season [Re: AdThomps] #7586052 08/22/19 12:39 AM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
If Giant once in a lifetime buck and that is the only buck you intend to pursue no matter what, then I would do nothing this season and would very very much limit my visits to the property. When you did visit to only check TC make sure you are wearing rubber boots, use the wind and all scent control measures just like you should do when actually hunting. check the TC in the hot middle of day and tread lightly. If not done all ready, I would now as soon as possible get a couple stands in place for different winds and only hunt when wind is your stand location favor. Good luck and look forward to seeing pic of Giant when down.

Re: Will Plowing and Planting Mess Up Deer Before Season [Re: stxranchman] #7586063 08/22/19 12:56 AM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Do what this man says!!!! The does will hit the food plot and the bucks will come!! That special buck of a life time may be 3 counties away come hunting season but if he is not, then he will be seeking the does in your area.

Re: Will Plowing and Planting Mess Up Deer Before Season [Re: AdThomps] #7586371 08/22/19 02:17 PM
P
phathawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
stxranchman beat me to it! I was going to suggest nearly the exact same advice. I've noticed the deer like to take the easy way so mowed lanes will be used as deer highways. Channeling toward the feeder is a good thing and makes the deer more visible when they're cruising the senderos. I've been doing the same thing for a lot of years. I've even been guilty of cutting a trail from my neighbors fenceline toward my feeder to give the deer an easier route to the feeder. It works!

There's only 2 seasons in a year. Deer season and getting ready for deer season.
Re: Will Plowing and Planting Mess Up Deer Before Season [Re: AdThomps] #7586506 08/22/19 04:48 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I am going to add this to the conversation....If that buck just showed up on his TC for the first time ever, I am guessing that he does live on his hunting land. OP stated his place is not that big and for a buck of a lifetime to suddenly show up. If he lived there all the time he would have shown up on TC pics before this first sighting. He moved in for a reason....be it dwindling food supply in the summer heat, water source or change in grazing practices in his core bedding area. He may stay around for a while or move back to his core bedding area next week. I have had really good bucks show up only a couple of times in late summer till before the season opens. Then never see them again till the next summer and they are there every night at the feeder or in a food plot, then in Sept to early Oct disappear again. Surface water is not very common here and wells/troughs are the norm. There are not many water troughs around me either. I have 4 water sources on my property and deer know where they are. I have more deer stay on my place in very dry periods than in very wet periods.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Will Plowing and Planting Mess Up Deer Before Season [Re: stxranchman] #7586525 08/22/19 05:09 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I have had really good bucks show up only a couple of times in late summer till before the season opens. Then never see them again till the next summer and they are there every night at the feeder or in a food plot, then in Sept to early Oct disappear again. Surface water is not very common here and wells/troughs are the norm. There are not many water troughs around me either. I have 4 water sources on my property and deer know where they are. I have more deer stay on my place in very dry periods than in very wet periods.

Have seen this same thing also. 2 years ago the neighbor shot our once in a lifetime deer 2 miles away that only popped up on our cam 4 times. Every time we have bad drought conditions we see new deer on the cams. One year we had 3 different 12 pts on our camphouse water trough/protein feeder, once it greened up we only ever saw the 1 we had before it got dry, there were trails for miles in every direction you could see on the aerials to that water trough.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Will Plowing and Planting Mess Up Deer Before Season [Re: AdThomps] #7586549 08/22/19 05:37 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
lease I was on for a while a friend had a lease over a mile away, bucks that were on our place through summer until Sept or early October would start showing up on his cams right after they quit showing on our cams. Deer do move sometimes for Summer and Winter range even if though they good food sources in both places year round.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide