Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: zornhunter] #7586012 08/22/19 12:01 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I’m sure it’s tougher around highly populated areas like San Marcos. Your gonna have to get away farther.

The leases you mentioned sound outrageous. If that is what your looking at, you need to change the dynamic. Your getting the wrong answers because your not askin the right questions, so to speak.

I cant imagine not finding a lease for 3 years. Either your asking way too much from a lease, or your not willing to pay what someone asks to give you that lease.

Honestly, you could find a lease in 1-2 weeks if you really wanted to. The bit of extra money that a tangible lease costs over what your current financial expectations are is negligible when you get on a good lease, IMO.

Of course you could always go buy your own place.

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: zornhunter] #7586049 08/22/19 12:36 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I'm so happy I have my own place. I had to do without for quite some time and not keep up with the Joneses as far as vehicles and big houses but in 13 months I retire and will live in the woods as I should. I can't imagine leasing anymore. Buy land now is the moral to this story.

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: ntxtrapper] #7586198 08/22/19 04:15 AM
D
Dalee7892 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I hope all is well with you. How is the Honda doing? Enjoy the retirement when you start. Thank you for your service. Dale Ewald

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: Dalee7892] #7586291 08/22/19 12:33 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
There is an east Texas family friendly lease listed on this forum. In your price range. Have you contacted them?

You can't fix stupid
Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: zornhunter] #7586297 08/22/19 12:49 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
The internet has changed everything. Something that used to be mostly a word of mouth deal is now easily accessible, to landowners and hunters. Might be easier for you to find but because the endless supply of hunters looking for a lease online it drives the price up.

I got blasted in the land and leases forum for my initial post in there and I'm still pretty much a black list member in there.

It is what it is. As long as people are willing to spend a couple thousand a year plus fill feeders, fix fences, and etc. just for the privilege to use one stand and share it with other hunters, it will keep getting worse.

I have resolved to use public land only, and wait until I can buy my own place and hunt on my own terms, with a few exceptions.

Last edited by laid over; 08/22/19 12:49 PM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7586386 08/22/19 02:30 PM
Z
zornhunter Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
Z
About 4 hrs max. We go to my uncle's farm just north of Perrin for turkey season.

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: Wilhunt] #7586389 08/22/19 02:33 PM
Z
zornhunter Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
Z
Originally Posted by Wilhunt
Well their are surely overpriced deer leases out there. But there are still leases available you just have to be persistent and have a little luck. Must be ready to commit quickly when something comes up. Suggest you take a drive into areas you like and check with the feed stores in the area. Wishing good luck for you.

I think over priced is an understatement.

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: zornhunter] #7586474 08/22/19 04:01 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
If lease rates would've increased in step with everything else in your everyday life there wouldn't be a large lease (2000+ acres) for less than $10 per acre or a small lease ( 400 acres & under) for less than $30 per acre available anywhere.

I know I've turned down ridiculous money from a few guys for our place in Young county.

The last time I leased our place in Blanco county I had made up my mind never again, these 2 guys from Austin said name your price & terms, I said $60 per acre my contract, be sure to read it before signing, they said we'll take it, paid cash money on the spot. They were removed by the second week of deer season.

I know several LO's getting more than $50 per acre within an hour or so of DFW, one in Wise over $70, one in Grayson county considerably over $100 per acre.

If you owned land how much would you charge per acre or hunter to let basically strangers with firearms run around on it year-round or just hunting seasons?

So, a LO is supposed to refuse money and look for someone willing to pay less?

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: zornhunter] #7586479 08/22/19 04:17 PM
T
TiggerV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Is it over priced?? Or just more than YOU want to pay?? The price is whatever the market can handle. We do (currently) live in a free enterprise society.

Is it expensive?? Yup
Are there alternatives?? Yup. Public land. Day lease etc.

It sucks, but the other alternative is having Big Brother own all our land and telling us what to do with it. Now, do we really want THAT???

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: zornhunter] #7586499 08/22/19 04:40 PM
R
rolyat.nosaj Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Sounds like a bunch of property owners on here. I haven't leased a property in probably 8 years and won't ever again. You can pay just a little more and have a dream hunt somewhere else or hunt public land here in Texas which can be great or hunt public land in other states which can be a great trip. Too many choices to waste money on property owner that wants to pack you like sardines. Imagine that, you are paying a land owner to come onto their property to sit in a wooden box. No thanks!

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: zornhunter] #7586521 08/22/19 05:05 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
There are a lot of property owners in here. It's like the Texas Property Owners Forum!

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7586543 08/22/19 05:29 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj
Sounds like a bunch of property owners on here. I haven't leased a property in probably 8 years and won't ever again. You can pay just a little more and have a dream hunt somewhere else or hunt public land here in Texas which can be great or hunt public land in other states which can be a great trip. Too many choices to waste money on property owner that wants to pack you like sardines. Imagine that, you are paying a land owner to come onto their property to sit in a wooden box. No thanks!

Sounds like you will enjoy public hunting.

Funny how guys like you NEVER buy their own property & then lease it out for cheap.

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: 10 Gauge] #7586546 08/22/19 05:34 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by laid over
There are a lot of property owners in here. It's like the Texas Property Owners Forum!

You sound like a complete jerk in your posts.

You don’t have to “walk on eggshells” (like you say in almost every post) & there isn’t a blacklist that your on. It’s just that nobody cares what an over-opinianted cheapskate with no deer lease thinks.

Either pay the free market rate for a lease, or go buy your own place. Pissing & moaning about it will get you no where & you won’t get any sympathy. Your a grown damn man but complain like a woman.

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: maximus_flavius] #7586556 08/22/19 05:41 PM
R
rolyat.nosaj Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
pay the free market rate for a lease

Yeah, we see your idea of "free market rates" for your lease. LOL!

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: zornhunter] #7586561 08/22/19 05:46 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Look in the real estate market for property for sale in the areas where you can lease. Pay attention to the taxes as well. This will put things in perspective for you that landowners are not over charging for most leases that can be leased.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7586566 08/22/19 05:50 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

If you’re too poor to pay the going rate work harder and save more money. Or should I call you a whambulence? crying

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7586567 08/22/19 05:53 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Look in the real estate market for property for sale in the areas where you can lease. Pay attention to the taxes as well. This will put things in perspective for you that landowners are not over charging for most leases that can be leased.

The “free hunt” crowd will never do that. They are too busy bellyaching. They want someone else to buy property (for $2-$10k per acre), develop it for hunting, & then let them lease it for a full year with unlimited access for a couple of hundred dollars. If you don’t, your greedy.

They have no idea about costs associated with land ownership. Road maintenance, brush control, food plots, taxes, etc. All they want is a cheap lease so they can tag out & fill their freezer, but they also wanna use your land all year to bring friends & family out.

Last edited by maximus_flavius; 08/22/19 05:56 PM.
Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7586568 08/22/19 05:55 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

LOMFL indeed! Guess who will hunting their own nice deer lease this season, & who will be hunting public land with all the other broke-dick bellyaching slobs. I see more deer every day than you likely see in a year.

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: zornhunter] #7586571 08/22/19 05:56 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by zornhunter
I am frustrated for sure this year mad. We have been looking for a family lease for almost 3 yrs now. I have called land owners, chamber of commerce, signed up for numerous lease sites and yet the only thing i find is over priced deer leases. What is going on with this? 24 acres no camping for $2500, 115 acres 3 hunters $3000 per but no guests. We shoot 1-2 deer a year since thats all we can eat. I have taught my boys not to shoot anything we wont eat (turtles, coyotes and snakes are the exception). We have looked at 7 leases over the summer and none have worked out. Half were due to "no kids under 12 policy" REALLY. no kids??

Ladies and Gentlemen, If the common working family cannot afford to teach the next generation the outdoors/hunting then us as hunters are in serious trouble because our kids wont care if gun laws are passed.

Rant over: 11 days till dove season!

Would you be willing to pay $2600.00 per year for a 2,600 acre lease, year round access, utilities, trailer hook ups, great hunting and fishing, 10 hunters, one man game limit per family?

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: zornhunter] #7586582 08/22/19 06:04 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Just wrote my annual check to the land owner we lease from. Couldn't be happier with what I get for my money. Year round access to a 2000 acre ranch I couldn't afford with every dollar I'll make in my lifetime. Rather than complaining about "expensive" deer leases why don't you get off your rear and do some extra work to be able to pay to enjoy a nice lease.

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: zornhunter] #7586607 08/22/19 06:30 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I have to wonder how many of those who seem to brag about buying land, actually bought enough to support the number of deer they plan to take off it. Makes you wonder if they're not the same ones who are so quick to defend hunting fence lines. After all, how many deer can live and thrive on 10 acres.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/22/19 06:32 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: maximus_flavius] #7586609 08/22/19 06:32 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G

LOMFL indeed! Guess who will hunting their own nice deer lease this season, & who will be hunting public land with all the other broke-dick bellyaching slobs. I see more deer every day than you likely see in a year.

Lol

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: zornhunter] #7586612 08/22/19 06:34 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Give someone a cup of coffee and then they want you to buy them a donut to go with it.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: ChrisB] #7586640 08/22/19 07:01 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by ChrisB
Just wrote my annual check to the land owner we lease from. Couldn't be happier with what I get for my money. Year round access to a 2000 acre ranch I couldn't afford with every dollar I'll make in my lifetime. Rather than complaining about "expensive" deer leases why don't you get off your rear and do some extra work to be able to pay to enjoy a nice lease.

I agree 100%. I must look at it different. When I was young my father went without, to provide the opportunity for my brother and I to have a place to hunt. It was a family style lease that was held for around 30 years with the same land owner and mostly the same group of men and their families. The memories are wonderful, the friendships have lasted a lifetime, and honestly it is something that money can't replace. Because I have tried with my own kids and recreating that atmosphere hasn't happened. Never even came close to this point. I consider myself fortunate to afford what I have and my kids have learned to enjoy the outdoors and hunting. But those friendships can't be bought and you can't make it a priority for people who don't see the same value.

For me personally, when I think about the great memories of my childhood, I can narrow the majority down to just a few places. My grandparents house, the deer lease, sports, and the lake house we had for a brief time until my parents had to sell it. So for me I will go to great lengths to give my kids the same opportunity and I am willing to do without in order to make it happen. Its not cheap but its important and a priority for me. Doesn't hurt that I still have a passion for all those things as well.

Re: Lease Prices going up [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7586642 08/22/19 07:04 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
You can pay just a little more and have a dream hunt somewhere else

Yeah, for a 3-4 day hunt. No thanks. I've been that route, too. Said I would never lease country again, but I just did. To me, hunting isn't about killing trophy deer anymore. It's more about memories made at the lease, around the campfire and the camaraderie with the other hunters. The place I just got on is 9,000 acres low fence in the heart of the Golden Triangle in south Texas. 12 hunters total. I wouldn't call that being packed in like sardines. And the place has been intensively managed for many years for the healthiest whitetail herd the country can produce. The owners spend a ton of time and money making their ranch awesome for the animals and their hunters. Yes, it's expensive to lease GOOD country. As it should be. Oh, and though I don't care if I ever kill another giant whitetail, this place has them. A bunch of them.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide