Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,698
Posts9,727,880
Members87,033
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? #7581469 08/16/19 03:07 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
"Now you can use a digital image of your license as proof-of-license for any hunting or fishing that doesn't require a tag. Accepted formats include: 1) a digital photo of your license, 2) your emailed receipt, 3) within the Outdoor Annual app or the My Texas Hunt Harvest app, or 4) your online purchase record."

Perhaps a little more valuable for the ladies who don't carry a wallet but still good to know.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/16/19 03:11 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? [Re: Texas Dan] #7581505 08/16/19 04:11 PM
G
Gulfgoose Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
Has been kind of a grey area. Lot's of people have bought Sandhill Crane permits sitting in the blind when they start flying.

Re: Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? [Re: Gulfgoose] #7581578 08/16/19 05:46 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Gulfgoose
Has been kind of a grey area. Lot's of people have bought Sandhill Crane permits sitting in the blind when they start flying.

Not such a bad thing when you consider it means the TPWD gets revenue that might otherwise go uncollected.

Re: Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? [Re: Texas Dan] #7581729 08/16/19 08:56 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Nothing wrong with it unless you need a tag. Whatever keeps you on the right side of the law is all that matters.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? [Re: Texas Dan] #7581786 08/16/19 09:55 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Jim our, Ive wondered about the tag deal

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? [Re: Texas Dan] #7581821 08/16/19 10:33 PM
H
HandgunHTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
In Missouri, you can now "punch your tag" for turkeys or whitetails using the app instead of the physical tag.

#FighttheNoise
Re: Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? [Re: Texas Dan] #7581976 08/17/19 01:53 AM
llbts1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
My how the times are changing.

Re: Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? [Re: HandgunHTR] #7581989 08/17/19 02:03 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
In Missouri, you can now "punch your tag" for turkeys or whitetails using the app instead of the physical tag.

Now that's really cool.

Re: Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? [Re: HandgunHTR] #7583590 08/19/19 01:55 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D

Alabama and Tennessee do this as well.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? [Re: Dry Fire] #7583610 08/19/19 02:12 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Dry Fire

Alabama and Tennessee do this as well.

Seems like you could make reusing a tag impossible if you applied this technology with some modifications. At least you could with bucks. Fill the tag out online, take a picture that gets uploaded/attached to that tag.

Re: Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? [Re: Texas Dan] #7585767 08/21/19 08:01 PM
B
Black02z28 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Now that's really cool.

Agreed 100% Come on Texas!

Re: Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? [Re: Black02z28] #7585774 08/21/19 08:12 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Black02z28
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Now that's really cool.

Agreed 100% Come on Texas!

Doesn't Arkansas do that as well with the app on deer?

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? [Re: Texas Dan] #7586238 08/22/19 10:58 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
How does this work? Lets say that I take a legal buck. In the past, I've had to attach a paper tag that is properly filled out and attached. Now, I can take the deer home and, if stopped, just show the GW my tag on my phone. If not stopped, I can shoot another one or just keep shooting until I decide to stop. How is it cancelled? Or, is it?

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? [Re: Dave Davidson] #7586245 08/22/19 11:12 AM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
How does this work? Lets say that I take a legal buck. In the past, I've had to attach a paper tag that is properly filled out and attached. Now, I can take the deer home and, if stopped, just show the GW my tag on my phone. If not stopped, I can shoot another one or just keep shooting until I decide to stop. How is it cancelled? Or, is it?

No difference in taking the risk of not tagging the animal and driving home in hopes of not getting caught. I would imagine once you log the info into an app it wouldn't let you use that tag again.

Re: Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? [Re: Dave Davidson] #7586484 08/22/19 04:23 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T

"Now you can use a digital image of your license as proof-of-license for any hunting or fishing that doesn't require a tag.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? [Re: Texan Til I Die] #7586551 08/22/19 05:38 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die

"Now you can use a digital image of your license as proof-of-license for any hunting or fishing that doesn't require a tag.

^^This^^
As long as you don't need a tag, you can hunt and fish all day long without the paper license as long as you have the digital form. It just shows proof you have a hunting/fishing license. On a legal level, you could hunt deer as much as you want with the digital version, you just can't shoot one.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? [Re: Texas Dan] #7586596 08/22/19 06:19 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Follow the discussion gents. I believe Dave's question was directed at the earlier post that noted how hunters in Missouri can use digital tags and an app when harvesting deer. It would appear the system offers several benefits, including ease of use, the inability to reuse a physical tag or fudge data, and instant reporting of harvest data. Everything would be entered by the hunter while in the field and recorded in "the cloud".

I wouldn't be surprised to see the TPWD implement the same type of system in a year or two.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/22/19 06:23 PM.

Re: Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? [Re: Texas Dan] #7586787 08/22/19 09:33 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Digital tag makes sense. It also makes sense so I don't have to fill out the back of the license with the deer I shoot. The state gets a better survey of what is harvested by county. The digital tag could have you enter the points, spread and other information useful to biologists such as estimated age. There is a bunch of big data that could be captured here.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? [Re: Texas Dan] #7586789 08/22/19 09:34 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
The only downside is if you are not within cell range you would have to have some type of paper tag to prove you tagged the animal until you are in cell range. I haven't thought through how best that would work.

Re: Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? [Re: jnd59] #7586798 08/22/19 09:43 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by jnd59
The only downside is if you are not within cell range you would have to have some type of paper tag to prove you tagged the animal until you are in cell range. I haven't thought through how best that would work.

To me you just answered your own question.

Re: Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7586809 08/22/19 09:56 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Originally Posted by jnd59

To me you just answered your own question.

That could still be worked out. You could enter the tag in the app, the app would record the tag and send the info when you had data coverage. You could still show the app to the GW if necessary. Granted, you could put your phone on airplane mode, delete the app when you get home and then download it again. There's always some way to circumvent the rules if one is fired up about it, even the current paper tags.

Re: Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? [Re: Texas Dan] #7587013 08/23/19 01:26 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Perhaps I would want to go hunting with a cell phone with me. When I retire in 13 months, my cell phone being glued to me ends, as it should. Paper tags won't go away in Texas in my lifetime.

Re: Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? [Re: Texas Dan] #7587233 08/23/19 09:01 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
OK. so I do have to log it instead of just showing it. That should stop the practice of shooting and tagging a deer; then losing your license and buying another one.

Re: Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? [Re: Dave Davidson] #7587236 08/23/19 10:22 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
That should stop the practice of shooting and tagging a deer; then losing your license and buying another one.

The last lease I was on another member talked about doing this in the past. Reason #36 I got off.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Did you catch this change concerning your TPWD Hunting and Fishing license? [Re: Texas Dan] #7587377 08/23/19 02:03 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I wouldn't think we would get rid of paper tags, but the info the TPWD would get from online tags would be very beneficial in my view.. What if you could do your HIP report each week instead of at the end of the year? I guess at how many i shoot (well, except for last year's dove and duck seasons, those were easy).

Big data has its risks for abuse along with its rewards and I am, as many of you are, very wary of giving the Man too much info. I guess I'm willing to give the TPWD more in exchange for better management. Who knows, maybe this would allow TPWD to remove the antler restrictions in more counties, or maybe the reverse would happen, but it would be better than a statistical guess.

With the online app I suspect they are moving that direction anyway. The information gained is just too much to ignore.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide