Print Thread
Hello everybody #7581739 08/16/19 09:03 PM
H
hank000 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Hello to everyone I am new here and I sought this board out because I have an interest in hunting. I have never done it before and would like to give it a try. My problem is, I have absolutely nobody that I can learn from. No friends that hunt and no family members I can tolerate that hunt. I don't know where to begin and I don't want to go out and harvest something just to waste it. any recommendations from anybody? books, guides, maybe even how too videos?

Re: Hello everybody [Re: hank000] #7581741 08/16/19 09:08 PM
M
mikereiling5 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
good place to start, I am relatively new to hunting as well and have learned alot on this forum and various people I have met.
What kind of hunting do you want to do and what kind of firearms do you own or looking to own?

Last edited by mikereiling5; 08/16/19 09:16 PM.
Re: Hello everybody [Re: mikereiling5] #7581759 08/16/19 09:24 PM
H
hank000 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
I want to hunt deer, I have a Remington 700 30.06 I'm decent I likely need more practice before I actually go out and hunt. not into waterfowl at all. and rabbit is nice.

Re: Hello everybody [Re: hank000] #7581818 08/16/19 10:30 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
welcome

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Hello everybody [Re: hank000] #7582029 08/17/19 02:38 AM
C
ccrock Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Welcome Hank000
I would recommend getting your hunters education certification first. Then find an outfitter near you and do a doe hunt. Explain everything including your expectations and your desire to learn. If the outfitter is not interested in helping you learn then find another one. Check references and do an online search before giving a deposit.
Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

Chris

Re: Hello everybody [Re: hank000] #7582039 08/17/19 02:49 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
welcome

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Hello everybody [Re: hank000] #7582107 08/17/19 07:16 AM
H
hank000 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Thanks for the welcomes everyone and thanks for the advice.

Re: Hello everybody [Re: hank000] #7582119 08/17/19 10:32 AM
Reloder28 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
www.tpwd.texas.gov has all the information you’ll need to keep you legal.

[b][/b]
Re: Hello everybody [Re: ccrock] #7582155 08/17/19 12:38 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted by ccrock
Welcome Hank000
I would recommend getting your hunters education certification first. Then find an outfitter near you and do a doe hunt. Explain everything including your expectations and your desire to learn. If the outfitter is not interested in helping you learn then find another one. Check references and do an online search before giving a deposit.

Chris

This. If you find a regular classroom course, you might meet another person to hunt with. It's been a real long time since I've taken a hunter safety course, but I remember really enjoying it.
I might add, I think it's a good idea to start off with small game. It's cheaper, more opportunities to hunt, and more shot opportunities. You build your skills and have a whole bunch of fun in the process.

Last edited by Palehorse; 08/17/19 12:44 PM.
Re: Hello everybody [Re: hank000] #7582287 08/17/19 05:15 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
welcome

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Hello everybody [Re: Palehorse] #7582425 08/17/19 09:37 PM
H
hank000 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Originally Posted by Palehorse
Welcome Hank000

Chris

This. If you find a regular classroom course, you might meet another person to hunt with. It's been a real long time since I've taken a hunter safety course, but I remember really enjoying it.
I might add, I think it's a good idea to start off with small game. It's cheaper, more opportunities to hunt, and more shot opportunities. You build your skills and have a whole bunch of fun in the process.

Well I know you can hunt rabbits and squirrels. As far as quail I don't have a hunting dog so you need one?

Re: Hello everybody [Re: hank000] #7582432 08/17/19 09:46 PM
D
Dalee7892 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
welcome
This is the place to ask questions, remember no question is stupid we all started somewhere. Get your hunters ed, try to meet other hunters (maybe just for coffee or such, practice shooting , use the internet, best of luck.

Re: Hello everybody [Re: Palehorse] #7582739 08/18/19 11:14 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Welcome Hank000

Chris

welcome I'm with ccrock and Palehorse. Start small and work your way up the meat chain. I also suggest learning as much about the care your meat after the harvest first before harvesting. Good luck.

Re: Hello everybody [Re: pigplinker] #7583121 08/18/19 09:30 PM
H
hank000 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Originally Posted by pigplinker
Welcome Hank000

Chris

welcome I'm with ccrock and Palehorse. Start small and work your way up the meat chain. I also suggest learning as much about the care your meat after the harvest first before harvesting. Good luck.

Yeah it's the caring for the meat after harvest part in not sure about.

Re: Hello everybody [Re: hank000] #7583618 08/19/19 02:17 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
there are endless threads here on how to handle your harvest, YouTube is also a great resource. There are processors (some good, so not) all around that once field dressed, you can drop off to have processed. I find it best to at least know how to do it yourself, again, YouTube, or someone with experience to show you what to do.

and welcome

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Hello everybody [Re: PMK] #7584453 08/20/19 12:35 PM
H
hank000 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Originally Posted by PMK
there are endless threads here on how to handle your harvest, YouTube is also a great resource. There are processors (some good, so not) all around that once field dressed, you can drop off to have processed. I find it best to at least know how to do it yourself, again, YouTube, or someone with experience to show you what to do.

and welcome

Thank you.

So I don't know much. From The point that you make the kill to the point of butchering there are a lot of steps there and things to know. I don't want to go off and do it without knowing what to do.

Re: Hello everybody [Re: hank000] #7584665 08/20/19 04:28 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by hank000
Originally Posted by PMK

and welcome

Thank you.

So I don't know much. From The point that you make the kill to the point of butchering there are a lot of steps there and things to know. I don't want to go off and do it without knowing what to do.

understand ... I learned by hands on with someone coaching me from a very young age with many years of practice (dad was allergic to the hair) ... that was before the internet.

here's a couple that might help you understand a bit better field dressing in the field:

there are likely many, many more that step you thru all the various stages from deer down to putting in the freezer to making sausage to etc.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Hello everybody [Re: hank000] #7585303 08/21/19 12:26 PM
D
DavidC. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
We have weekend beginner workshops for anyone wanting to start in hunting shooting and related activities, contact me for the details, and thanks for reaching out to the community.
DC

Re: Hello everybody [Re: PMK] #7586767 08/22/19 09:08 PM
H
hank000 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Originally Posted by PMK
Originally Posted by hank000
Originally Posted by PMK

and welcome

Thank you.

understand ... I learned by hands on with someone coaching me from a very young age with many years of practice (dad was allergic to the hair) ... that was before the internet.

here's a couple that might help you understand a bit better field dressing in the field:

there are likely many, many more that step you thru all the various stages from deer down to putting in the freezer to making sausage to etc.

Thanks I'll check that out

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide