Page 1 of 2 1 2
How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? #7543037 06/27/19 12:43 AM
S
scalebuster Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I always run mine every night when I’m home. Mine have been in their kennels for 4 weeks since I’ve been healing up from some surgery. Tonight they all got to run in front of the mule around the property and swim in the tank for an hour. They were as wild as they could be. They’ve been cooped up because my wife can only control the Brittany’s. My Shorthair gyp jumped 7 feet up a tree to grab one of the bumpers I keep up there on a platform. She swam after it like it was the last time she’d ever get out.

When I was a kid our dogs got to hunt every day from November to March after work but had to stay in the pen the rest of the year. I never did think that was right and took the heat for letting them out whenever I could. I think dogs do better the more you mess with them.

Are you an old school guy that thinks you should keep dogs wild or like me and make pets out of them? I remember some old men that trained pointers and treated them like they were one step above a coyote and wanted them to stay that wild.

Re: How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? [Re: scalebuster] #7543402 06/27/19 02:02 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Right now, about four times per week.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? [Re: scalebuster] #7543907 06/28/19 11:26 AM
A
arandy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
The one's that don't run loose get out twice daily. Dogs need daily exercise just like humans.

Re: How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? [Re: scalebuster] #7544349 06/28/19 10:59 PM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Run them every day. If I am home there in the house with me

Re: How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? [Re: blanked] #7544875 06/29/19 09:23 PM
S
scalebuster Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by blanked
Run them every day. If I am home there in the house with me

I like the Britts in the house. They make themselves at home. I didn’t get my other dogs as babies and didn’t want to teach them house manners as grown pups. They’re kennel dogs that get plenty of attention, but no house love. I was given a 2 year old lab this year that was raised in a kennel, she would like to be a house pet but labs shed too damn bad. I had one in the house for 13 years and my wife had to vacuum twice a day. I think my wife sneaks her in while I’m at work.

Re: How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? [Re: scalebuster] #7548194 07/04/19 01:14 AM
D
Drahthaar Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Run them every day I am home. Forrest

Re: How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? [Re: scalebuster] #7548843 07/05/19 12:03 AM
S
slow944 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I've got a 3yr old Lab that only sheds 2 times a year, Jan-June and July-Dec. Not that big a deal. rofl

I Have A 45 And A Shovel. Don't Mess With Texas!

According To "Kierchof's Law" Murphy Was An Optimist!

Re: How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? [Re: scalebuster] #7549116 07/05/19 01:58 PM
R
Revoman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Nearly every day

Call'm an Kill'm
Re: How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? [Re: Revoman] #7549248 07/05/19 04:12 PM
C
Chet Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Not sure what is meant by Run? With temps what they are plus humidity and thick cover I don't "run" my dogs this time of year. Yard work, short time in the exercise area is all they get this time of year. Three will go north in a couple of weeks for cooler temps and young birds and will get all the run they need.

Re: How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? [Re: scalebuster] #7549588 07/05/19 11:41 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Walk Cracker off the lead everyday.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? [Re: bill oxner] #7549611 07/06/19 12:22 AM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Walk Cracker off the lead everyday.

Good to hear your dog is doing better Bill

Re: How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? [Re: scalebuster] #7571227 08/03/19 09:30 PM
nak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I try to get my Brittany out to run in the evening twice during the week, the Sunday morning early...If in traveling all week, my wife will usually take him out once, midweek.

With the evening temps this time of year he is done after about 20 min.. This morning, right after the rain quit, he tore it up for almost an hour.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? [Re: scalebuster] #7577659 08/11/19 08:03 PM
I
Idylwyld Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
I
Its hot. Have I mentioned it is hot? August is a nasty month for dog people.
I wish fervently I was on my grounds in North Dakota this year, alas that was not in the cards, pesky stuff called work gets in the way of dog training, maybe next year...
What I am doing in SE NM to beat the heat.
Just finishing working 5 dogs on carded pigeons. For those of you who might know what this means, I am a pure Westie. All dogs are steady to WS&F on pigeons. 3 GSP litter mates, two pointers and recently got a new pup, shes 9 weeks. She is Nemaha and a touch of the old Barshoe breeding. I could go on and on with my reasons for driving 1627 miles round trip a few weeks ago to get her. I would bore you to tears. In next week or so, the pup gets to play quail terrorist on Quail. I am moving to Bobwhites in a Quail recall house next week. 60 birds in house recalling well. They are ready to start working lightly and that will ramp up as things go well.

Due to heat, I have recently started to limit how many dogs I work, I start at what I call pigeon daylight (when a pigeon will fly) and work 4 dogs. Done by 800-815AM, dog chain up and headed home by 0830-0845AM. I do this 3 mornings a week. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday morning.
Been lucky, only killed two snakes this year on my training grounds.
All dogs are snake broke by me, so I am not too terribly concerned. Snake breaking works, if its done right.
Have not done the Red Rock shots. May do that in Sept on the annual run through the vet for rabies. I had hoped to get my hands on the vaccine and do it myself, Red Rock keeps a tight hold on the vaccine, as far as I know only vets can get it. If someone knows different please share.

Doug Chilson
Re: How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? [Re: Idylwyld] #7577685 08/11/19 08:55 PM
S
scalebuster Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Idylwyld
Its hot. Have I mentioned it is hot? August is a nasty month for dog people.
I wish fervently I was on my grounds in North Dakota this year, alas that was not in the cards, pesky stuff called work gets in the way of dog training, maybe next year...
What I am doing in SE NM to beat the heat.
Just finishing working 5 dogs on carded pigeons. For those of you who might know what this means, I am a pure Westie. All dogs are steady to WS&F on pigeons. 3 GSP litter mates, two pointers and recently got a new pup, shes 9 weeks. She is Nemaha and a touch of the old Barshoe breeding. I could go on and on with my reasons for driving 1627 miles round trip a few weeks ago to get her. I would bore you to tears. In next week or so, the pup gets to play quail terrorist on Quail. I am moving to Bobwhites in a Quail recall house next week. 60 birds in house recalling well. They are ready to start working lightly and that will ramp up as things go well.

Due to heat, I have recently started to limit how many dogs I work, I start at what I call pigeon daylight (when a pigeon will fly) and work 4 dogs. Done by 800-815AM, dog chain up and headed home by 0830-0845AM. I do this 3 mornings a week. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday morning.
Been lucky, only killed two snakes this year on my training grounds.
All dogs are snake broke by me, so I am not too terribly concerned. Snake breaking works, if its done right.
Have not done the Red Rock shots. May do that in Sept on the annual run through the vet for rabies. I had hoped to get my hands on the vaccine and do it myself, Red Rock keeps a tight hold on the vaccine, as far as I know only vets can get it. If someone knows different please share.

How’s the blue quail population looking in SE New Mexico? I’m hearing good things right across the border form you.

I’ve worked all my mutts before 7:30 the last couple of mornings. I’m sitting here having a cold beer wishing I could do something with this new pointer gyp but it’s too damn hot for anything but swimming lessons. She’s 4 months and I’ve only had her 3 weeks but I think she’s going to be somebody.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by scalebuster; 08/11/19 09:28 PM.
Re: How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? [Re: scalebuster] #7577687 08/11/19 08:59 PM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Glad to see another Westie.

Re: How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? [Re: blanked] #7577691 08/11/19 09:02 PM
S
scalebuster Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S

What’s a Westie?

Re: How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? [Re: blanked] #7577711 08/11/19 09:30 PM
I
Idylwyld Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
I

So, Im not the only one. Good to hear.

Doug Chilson
Re: How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? [Re: scalebuster] #7577717 08/11/19 09:39 PM
I
Idylwyld Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
I
Originally Posted by scalebuster

What’s a Westie?

Its a label that describes those of us who use a method of dog training that Bill West developed. Bill Gibbons, Dave Walker and Maurice Lindley being the famous ones I think of off the top of my head.

If you are curious about it, look at steady with style.com

Doug Chilson
Re: How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? [Re: scalebuster] #7577720 08/11/19 09:44 PM
I
Idylwyld Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
I

How’s the blue quail population looking in SE New Mexico? I’m hearing good things right across the border form you.

It actually looks pretty good. Its dry this year, that is probably going to have a negative effect next year on nesting, but it looks good this year. Brood size is up.
It will be Mid October before I start running dogs off horseback. If it cools down enough.

Doug Chilson
Re: How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? [Re: Idylwyld] #7577736 08/11/19 10:14 PM
S
scalebuster Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Idylwyld

What’s a Westie?

Its a label that describes those of us who use a method of dog training that Bill West developed. Bill Gibbons, Dave Walker and Maurice Lindley being the famous ones I think of off the top of my head.

If you are curious about it, look at steady with style.com

Thanks! I’ll check it out.

Re: How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? [Re: scalebuster] #7577971 08/12/19 08:28 AM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I find it interesting you hunt blues and your dogs are trained to WS&F. You must only hunt in covers with great cover to keep them from running at all. BLM and the cattle over grazing seems to be a big issue. Do you hunt all private?

Then there’s the problem of blues being hit hard with #6 shot, hit the ground and still manage to take off running and find a hole to hide in. For me if my dog is waiting for me to release him the bird is lost by then

What kind of range do you like to see running them on blues

Last edited by blanked; 08/12/19 08:36 AM.
Re: How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? [Re: blanked] #7580422 08/15/19 04:21 AM
I
Idylwyld Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
I
I find it interesting you hunt blues and your dogs are trained to WS&F. You must only hunt in covers with great cover to keep them from running at all. BLM and the cattle over grazing seems to be a big issue. Do you hunt all private?

Then there’s the problem of blues being hit hard with #6 shot, hit the ground and still manage to take off running and find a hole to hide in. For me if my dog is waiting for me to release him the bird is lost by then

What kind of range do you like to see running them on blues

When I retired from the military in 2007 I deliberately chose to live in a rural area with good bird hunting to accommodate my affliction. If I had my way we would live in western N Dakota. My wife objected to that idea. Too cold she said. Shes from Arizona.

I hunt on horseback. I dont kill many quail anymore. I carry a blank pistol about 90% of the time. I tell people I am going hunting, in reality, I am working a dog.
In a good year I might kill a couple of hundred birds. In a bad year, less than 100.
I do kill birds for a young dog. I dont go hog wild with it. 2-3 birds in an hour is plenty for me. I rarely go after singles. if its a bad bird year I will. In good years I dont bother.
I shoot Double A handicap trap loads 7 and a half in a IC/Mod old over and under. Havent changed the choke tubes out in years. They are probably permanently stuck in.

I put a dog down and hunt clover leafs away from truck for about an hour or so, then I put down a fresh dog.
Yes, I am picky about what cover I hunt. I dont bother to hunt on moonscaped ground. Not worth the head aches. Ive got that luxury and take full advantage of it. In good cover a lot of times I dont know if its bobs,blues or the occasional LPC in front of the dog until I flush. LPCS get spooky as it gets cold. My experience is that Blues in good cover will frequently hold fairly well. Not always. Keeps me and dog on our toes.
Range? I like them out there. I put a tracking collar on dog. I salivate over the new GPS collars, when my old tracker quits I will have the excuse to get one. One of my criteria for keeping a dog is a good nose.

Last edited by Idylwyld; 08/15/19 04:38 AM. Reason: content

Doug Chilson
Re: How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? [Re: scalebuster] #7582327 08/17/19 06:47 PM
A
Aggieduck Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Run my lab every morning and every night before the sun comes up and after it goes down. A few bumpers. A few planted scents and then just a jog around the park back to the house.

Re: How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? [Re: scalebuster] #7583019 08/18/19 07:27 PM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Doug what is LPC. Prairie Chikens? There in southeast NM?

Last edited by blanked; 08/18/19 07:29 PM.
Re: How Often Do You Run Your Bird Dogs? [Re: blanked] #7583170 08/18/19 10:15 PM
I
Idylwyld Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
I
Doug what is LPC. Prairie Chikens? There in southeast NM?

Yes, Lesser Prairie Chickens. I live about 40-50 miles due south of the LPC area around Milnesand. Its not often, but I do get a dog on point on them.
They are not on endangered list, but have been close to it.
For the record. I do not seek LPCS out deliberately, but I refuse to shy away from where I know some are. Too much good ground in those areas.

Doug Chilson
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide