Print Thread
Aoudad hindquarter #7582318 08/17/19 06:31 PM
A
activescrape Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
I have a hindquarter from a young aoudad ewe,about 10lbs. Any serious suggestions on how to cook it? I also have a backstrap from a large ram. Val Verde county, they ate native forage and a lot of corn.

"It's not dyin' I'm talkin' about Woodrow, it's livin'!"
Re: Aoudad hindquarter [Re: activescrape] #7582372 08/17/19 08:02 PM
M
mbavo Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
M
I would season the hindquarter and cook it low and slow like a brisket.
Might drape some bacon around it to help keep it moist.
I would wrap it in foil after it got some good smoke.
The backstrap I would try some grilled to rare or medium rare.
Might cut some in steaks,tenderize and chicken fry too.

Re: Aoudad hindquarter [Re: activescrape] #7582374 08/17/19 08:04 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Slow cooker with your favorite recipe. At least that is how we have done them.

Re: Aoudad hindquarter [Re: activescrape] #7582395 08/17/19 08:52 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Take some peppers, onions and garlic and take a fillet knife to poke slots in the meat to insert small pieces of each of those in the hindquarter. Do as many you like. I make a basting liquid out of oil, butter, lemon slices, vinegar and onions. I melt the 2-4 sticks of butter in a sauce pan and add in the onion slices(your preference on amount) to let them soften. Then after a few minutes add in a cap or two(your preference on amount or leave it out) of white vinegar to it. Then slice up a half lemon and add the slices in the pot and add in about 2 cups of vegetable oil. Let it boil then turn it down to a simmer for about 20 minutes. Season the HQ with your choice of seasoning and baste it to start then let it brown on the pit for about 30-45 minutes. Baste it every time you turn it. I take the heavy duty aluminum foil and make a bowl large enough to fit in the HQ and so it will close completely. I put the HQ in the aluminum bowl and pour in the rest of the basting liquid in over the top of the HQ. Seal it tight in the foil bowl and let it cook on medium heat on the pit for 4- 6 hrs till it is done. It will fall apart when done. It will be similar to slow cooker recipe just the BBQ flavor.
I have done this with wild sheep HQ/shoulders and it was really good.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Aoudad hindquarter [Re: activescrape] #7582764 08/18/19 12:48 PM
A
activescrape Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
Perfect, thanks for the ideas guys!

"It's not dyin' I'm talkin' about Woodrow, it's livin'!"
Re: Aoudad hindquarter [Re: activescrape] #7582802 08/18/19 01:52 PM
pertnear Online Content
"Demolition Man"
Online Content
"Demolition Man"
This is the first I've heard that anyone would eat an aoudad! A buddy of mine has been bugging me to go aoudad hunting so I've been asking around what they taste like. If I don't get laughed out, the answer is usually along the lines of "uneatable". I guess like javalena, you can always make chili. confused2

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” - George Orwell
Re: Aoudad hindquarter [Re: pertnear] #7582804 08/18/19 01:58 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by pertnear
This is the first I've heard that anyone would eat an aoudad! A buddy of mine has been bugging me to go aoudad hunting so I've been asking around what they taste like. If I don't get laughed out, the answer is usually along the lines of "uneatable". I guess like javalena, you can always make chili. confused2

It’s fine if you cook it long enough, just like the javi would be. You could render down an old shoe if you cooked it long enough though.

Re: Aoudad hindquarter [Re: stxranchman] #7583790 08/19/19 04:40 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Take some peppers, onions and garlic and take a fillet knife to poke slots in the meat to insert small pieces of each of those in the hindquarter. Do as many you like. I make a basting liquid out of oil, butter, lemon slices, vinegar and onions. I melt the 2-4 sticks of butter in a sauce pan and add in the onion slices(your preference on amount) to let them soften. Then after a few minutes add in a cap or two(your preference on amount or leave it out) of white vinegar to it. Then slice up a half lemon and add the slices in the pot and add in about 2 cups of vegetable oil. Let it boil then turn it down to a simmer for about 20 minutes. Season the HQ with your choice of seasoning and baste it to start then let it brown on the pit for about 30-45 minutes. Baste it every time you turn it. I take the heavy duty aluminum foil and make a bowl large enough to fit in the HQ and so it will close completely. I put the HQ in the aluminum bowl and pour in the rest of the basting liquid in over the top of the HQ. Seal it tight in the foil bowl and let it cook on medium heat on the pit for 4- 6 hrs till it is done. It will fall apart when done. It will be similar to slow cooker recipe just the BBQ flavor.
I have done this with wild sheep HQ/shoulders and it was really good.

sounds very similar to how we used to cook/smoke Barbadoe and Spanish goat ... fall apart tender and the smoke helps take out some of the gamy tastes. We also used orange slices to add a bit of natural sweetness to the cooking sauce.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide