Forums46
Topics537,029
Posts9,719,585
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 33 of 44 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 43 44
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7344008 11/10/18 02:24 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Stickchunker's tree reminded me of something
We found a cave on my FIL's place, it looked like a hole but it opened into a pretty big cave. It was tall enough to walk in and it went about 100 ft parallel to the ground then turned straight down into a 30ft deep hole. We could not see the bottom but guessed at the depth by looking as far over the edge as we could and by tossing rocks in the pit.
We went to Home Depot and got a rope and some treated 2 x 4s and made a rope ladder.
When the wife saw the length of our ladder, she said there was no way, so we threw the ladder in the truck and went anyway. I was the first one down (to make sure it was safe) and the rope was barely long enough, then my daughter.
In the center in the bottom of the pit was a huge stalagmite that was shaped more like a big round boulder, with huge stalactites hanging way up above our heads. The boulder had the name PEDRO and a date, something like 4-4-14. As this was only 2001 we figured the date had to be 1914, or earlier. After some debate on defacing such a wonderful sight I decided to let my daughter scratch her initials and date into the side of the huge ball right under Pedro's. She used my pocket knife and put MCM and the date right below. We laughed as her initials are the same as the Roman numeral for 1900. She is etched in history.
A few weeks after that an old feller met me at the gate and he stopped to chat (he had to be in his 80s). After a bit I shared with him the discovery of the cave. His face lit up and he said that back in the 60's he had found a pile of what he thought was rocks in the woods, but it was a pile of stalagmites and stalactites that had been covered in dirt and growth over the years. He said that he still had them. He always wondered where they may have come from.
It sure made his day as it appeared that Pedro never made it very far with his heavy treasures.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7344434 11/10/18 06:26 PM
S
strobes Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
The hog was taken with rifle and this was stuck between his ribs.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Caskins] #7345168 11/11/18 07:01 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by Caskins
Found a bottle of mad dog once in my stand. No idea where it came from!

scratch. Did it have the year loco_too 2020 on the label ?
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7345410 11/12/18 01:24 AM
A
angus1956 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Found my glove I lost the year before used it for years afterwards.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7395820 01/04/19 09:10 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
any new ones? Love this thread!

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7396257 01/05/19 03:17 PM
W
Whack n stack Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
driving around a property i hunt in coleman last sunday afternoon a buddy and i found a pair of buck nuts in the middle of a dirt road on the far side of the property that looked fairly fresh. no sign of blood or hair around the area.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7397410 01/07/19 02:45 AM
B
Black Duck Dog Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Dove hunting north of Rockwall before lake ray Hubbard came in sat down at the edge of a creek by a tree looked down at the roots there was a Garrett snuff bottle 4 dots on the bottom grew into a root that had capped the bottle which has something in it about half full Cut it off with about 2 feet of root Still have it at my moms house

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7400150 01/09/19 08:54 PM
TXhogkilr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Love reading this thread.

5 years ago we had a lease NW of Stephenville. We were scouting early in fall after summer drought & found a dry tank with some really weird bones. Some of the bones were broken & looked like had been chewed on by machinery. We mentioned something to the landowner & he said that many years before someone had killed a couple people & run them through a wood chipper & the remains had been blown into the pond. He said you can still hear the people screaming if you go out there at night. Kind of creepy. He might have been pulling our leg but he didn't seem like the kind of guy to do that.

Found a nice hunting knife this year while dove hunting. Found my under armour facemask the following year after losing it in the woods.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: TXhogkilr] #7400602 01/10/19 09:44 AM
D
Dennis in Ft Worth Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Clearing some brush to place a feeder on a new place in Montague county, found this 12 gage hull. The paper had long since "recycled."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Me and ol' RUGER, 74 years and still shooting.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7581599 08/16/19 06:27 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
We need to bring this thread back...one of my favorites here!

found this little guy when moving s feeder...this was directly underneath it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7581605 08/16/19 06:40 PM
C
chalet Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Son of a Blitch

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice point.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7581677 08/16/19 08:01 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Found a few arrowheads over the years when scouting out a blind or feeder spot. Makes me smile to know that the indians thought it was just as good of a spot to hunt back then as I do now.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7581829 08/16/19 10:48 PM
A
angus1956 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Found an old Pepsi bottle with an X cut in the top to drink out of it best I can figure is it was from the early 40's.
In Colorado found my glove I lost the year before while getting a deer out.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7581956 08/17/19 01:26 AM
K
ken starling Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Been probably 15 years ago on a deer lease down by Brownwood. Found a old pistol that looked to be a break over style in a small caliber rusted and pitted pretty bad also the end of the barrel was split about 1” down like the barrel was plugged and blew apart. No wood, handles are frame for a handle. I always wondered where it came from or how old it really was. I may still have it somewhere.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: chalet] #7581990 08/17/19 02:03 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by chalet

That's a nice one. Pretty thin too looks like.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7582006 08/17/19 02:19 AM
L
Lotto Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Found and old...old....Coca Cola bottle up at the farm made in San Marcos Texas (where we live).

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7582050 08/17/19 02:56 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A day or two after killing a bull elk in Montana, outside of Bozeman, the kid guide and I rode about an hour to get a cell signal on the edge of a big drop off. We tied the horses and looked way down at a town far away. I walked back to the horses for something and looked down and there was a really old bottle in the snow, completely unbroken, the kind with the lettering blown into the glass, cork top, that had the name of a pharmacy and "Bozeman, MT" on it. I still have it. I always picture an old cowboy going up there to "take his medicine" and think.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7582541 08/17/19 11:54 PM
W
Whammer7 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
A friend found this Navy Colt on his Grandfathers farm in Northern Wisconsin. It was still loaded, with an empty cylinder under the hammer. He liked to think the owner got one shot off before the Chippewa got him, however when I told him that it was common (and safe) practice to carry loaded pistols with the hammer on an empty cylinder, he thought his story was better. The cylinder still rotates and the hammer still moves. The loading lever is frozen. [Linked Image]

"Sometimes, too much to drink is barely enough"

Mark Twain
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7583109 08/18/19 09:12 PM
S
swmays Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Found this on my place a few years ago. Something along the lines of a Stevens Falling Block 32. Fell off and left behind I guess.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7586876 08/22/19 11:13 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Was doing a bird census many years ago in the Barker Reservoir and stumbled onto a Cadillac with a locked trunk that had been set on fire and burned. We moved right along and called the police to let them take a closer look.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7589096 08/25/19 06:41 PM
O
oldrancher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
I was hunting a ranch in west Texas and found a grave covered with rocks with a crude home made cross and one of those yellow mesh bags that you buy grapefruit in. I extended a courtesy blessing and left it as I found it. Sad deal but at least an attempt was made for a proper burial. I also found a rusty spoon made out of an old orange or yellow license plate at another ranch. Someone had put some effort into that work of art. Crude but functional. I was hunting an isolated ranch in Colorado and had made my way to a high peak where I could glass a large valley. I was sitting there thinking I was probably the only one who had ever been there. I set on the rock and happened to look down between the rocks and there was a Coke can and a Snickers wrapper. Sure popped my bubble. I picked up the trash and took it with me; I hate trash on a ranch. The next person who set on that peak will have a better experience then I did.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7589185 08/25/19 08:04 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
The strangest thing I have ever seen hunting, was a animal sacrifice under the 195 bridge on the Lampasas River. It had been done up like a Satanic ritual with a puppy frown If it was a hoax, it was a cruel one.

When I was a teen we used to fish for big alligator gar in the trinity river, in/near Dallas. IVO I-45, I-20, Dowdy Ferry, etc. You couldn't eat fish out of the Trinity back then, and the alligator gar in there were monstrous!

Anyway we stumbled across two guys burning a stolen Oldsmobile Bravada, a marijuana farm, and a giant drug bust with police helicopters and etc. all in one afternoon. To top it all off we came across some boy scouts with one boys father and one boy held us at gunpoint with a 12 gauge auto for a minute, until his dad came around the corner and told him to let us pass through. Smart kid imo, down there bad things happen. It was probably the craziest day of fishing I ever had, and after that icing on the cake we just went home. I never went back down there, those big gar in that nasty water just ain't worth dying for!

At the time I drove an old Buick Regal, let me tell you when we rolled up on those dudes burning that car we went full dukes of hazard in that poor buick. Blazing trails through the ragweed and all, couldn't hardly see where I was going. Lucky we didn't get stuck or drive off into the river.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7593022 08/29/19 05:58 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
^^^^^I know the area well. That portion of I-20 in Hutchins just west of the Trinity is where we used to park in the late 70s, then walk through the chain link fence that's down and start hunting. Ducks and even quail were plentiful back then. Even saw an alligator once. Deer tracks everywhere. That was always exciting to see in Dallas county back then. I wouldn't set foot there nowadays. That's "Skinhead" drug territory, and they launch dead bodies in the area. Things have sure changed for the worse. Good times back then.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7593130 08/29/19 07:45 PM
T
Twotoes Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
In 1970 (I was 18) I was at the deer lease dove hunting. I was walking to a stock tank and heard some noises so I went up the high side of the tank where I could peek over. My Dad and a woman were swimming naked. Not my Mom. He was supposed to be working that day. I never said anything to anyone. Not long after he was out of our house and they divorced.
Side note - it was very hot and I was planning on taking a dip in the stock tank. Back then you had to wait until noon to legally dove hunt.

Past performance is the best predictor of future behavior.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Erathkid] #7593620 08/30/19 06:07 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Erathkid
^^^^^I know the area well. That portion of I-20 in Hutchins just west of the Trinity is where we used to park in the late 70s, then walk through the chain link fence that's down and start hunting. Ducks and even quail were plentiful back then. Even saw an alligator once. Deer tracks everywhere. That was always exciting to see in Dallas county back then. I wouldn't set foot there nowadays. That's "Skinhead" drug territory, and they launch dead bodies in the area. Things have sure changed for the worse. Good times back then.

My buddy recently HFed his property not far from there actually up river... It seems a bit sketchy but still okay. Just don't stop while driving there. He released exotics in it. I videoed them but that didn't last long. Wild dogs and stuff went under the fence and killed them all. It's still the wild west there to me. The trinity is not forgiving there.

Page 33 of 44 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 43 44
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide